Out of the Ashes Ch. 22

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But I could do better. I need to do better," their king said mostly to herself.

She paused and gazed upon the map that was laid out before her, stretching all over the massive table and buried under an avalanche of papers and books.

"I merely hold together what my mothers left me. Most of it only because of their influence and by upholding ancient oaths and pacts. Wouldn't it be for them, I would no longer be here. The moment I sat down on the throne I only got reminded how much I have to learn. But I sat down and learned. And hopefully one day this will be enough. I hope this might also be the case with motherhood," Margaret said.

"You got this, Maggie. You got this," Agatha replied the exact words that Ricky was about to say.

The blonde king smirked and Lexi's kiss on her head from behind her washed away the last bit of sadness soaring on her face.

"I guess you are right. You often are," Margaret said and looked up to her lover. "I got the best people around me, helping with this journey. That must account for something, right? It does for me."

"Don't forget counting on us, Maggie. If we can help you, we will," Ricky said assertively.

"You two being here already helps me. More than you might think," Margaret started and then grimaced. "But sadly, this is not the only reason why I invited you. Regardless of how much I craved your company."

"What do you need of us?" Agatha asked.

Margaret let go of Alexia's hand and swiped many of her books aside, revealing the map of her realm underneath it.

"This is our world. Inherited by two people that would wish the worst upon the other. While I am slowly taking hold of my own, I need to find a way to convince yours that my course is unlike the one of my mothers took. That's why I asked you to come here... and that's why I hoped Manuel would have joined you. His word is one of authority, and having a council member of the militia tell your people that the usurper can be trusted would mean more than when it came from my people. Our coronation would be the perfect opportunity for that. But I understand that this place is the last he would ever want to visit."

Agatha and Ricky silently stared at each other and without even a word begged the other to explain. Agatha eventually took it upon herself.

"Maggie. This is not the only reason. Sure, he would not be able to stand in the same room as your mothers, but his word is no longer more influential than mine or Ricky's. Probably even less so," she said.

"What do you mean?" Alexia asked, with her usual resolute tone.

"His support for you cost him dearly. You must know that most within the militia would have wanted to keep you as a hostage. An insurance to stop your mother. He convinced them by the only way he could."

"What did he do? Please, tell me," Margaret asked with equal passion.

"He overturned their votes by offering his seat in the council," Ricky interrupted and almost winced when he saw both her friend's saddening and puzzled gazes.

Agatha lifted her hand and forced the attention back to her, knowing that was all Ricky knew.

"Every council member, especially one who was held to such regard had the authority to overturn the council one time. This shows the trust they have earned over all those years. To make them bow to his will in a time of crisis, but such an act should not have been taken lightly. Therefore, any time a council member makes use of this emergency power, he should pay the highest possible price."

"Please tell me, they did not harm him," Margaret begged.

"Not physically. But he was ousted from the militia. No longer would any of his friends and comrades look after him and no longer would he be allowed to this himself. He is to be treated like a stranger, an outsider and wouldn't it have been for his age he would have been exiled. They made him swear an oath to keep any secrets of the militia and to take them into his grave. He would not be of use to you anymore Margaret. And he would not be allowed to be," Agatha explained.

Margaret sank back into her seat and closed her eyes while digging into her armrest.

"This is a fate worse than death to him. This is what he lived for," Alexia growled.

"It hurts him. We can see it every day. But he keeps himself busy and there is much to do," Agatha said in an attempt to end things on a happier note.

"You remember the room you two left vacated? Well, let's say there is some demand for it now."

Margaret opened her eyes and frowned. It seemed like this diversion was successful ... and Ricky knew he had to pounce on it too.

"The girl at the festival. You know Lexi, the one you pushed me into and afterwards ... you know," he started, earning a proud nod from the standing amazon. "Well, things got a bit more serious than we expected. And now she kinda moved in. Hope that's okay."

Margaret and Lexi without even looking mirrored each other. Both their cheeks rose and their eyes ignited with a sudden fire.

"This is more than okay. Happy you found some use in our wrecked room. Hope you did some renovations first," Alexia said first.

"That's still a work in progress, but we are getting there," Ricky laughed.

"I am happy for you. Really. I hope you two find never-ending happiness," Margaret said and suddenly rose again, quicker than a pregnant woman probably should.

"Where are you going?" Agatha asked.

"Back in time for a moment," she said cryptically and made Alexia smirk knowingly.

The almost 10ft blonde walked across the room, stopping before a big rectangular shape underneath some silk cloth. She pulled it back, revealing a piano, much more expansive than the one Manuel used to play on and sat down.

"You brought us so many happy memories, both of you. Memories of much happier and simpler days. How about we return to them for a bit. Let's let the kingdom wait for just one day and be what we were back then: Friends. Simply friends," she said softly.

"Sounds good," Ricky grinned.

"I agree, Maggie," Agatha joined in.

The former waitress started playing the tune the sailors, her audience back then, enjoyed most. A melody catching and inviting, prompting them to tell stories about adventures the waitress and her co-workers would eagerly listen to. The type of melody that inspired one to dream of greater and happier things. A melody to make them dive into a world that was just, grand and beautiful.

And tomorrow they would start building such a world -- together.