Out of the Ashes Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The weeks leading up to the coronation did not go by without her training for hours every day. She knew she could not earn the respect of any noblewoman with her lack of titles and possessions; she could certainly try to impress them with her physique though.

Her arms had swelled bigger than Margaret had ever seen on her lover and almost looked close to rivalling Sybilla's. Not that the rest of her body was any less desirable. Margaret knew how to embrace each inch of Lexi's might already -- also the parts that were somewhat concealed by her red, sleeveless dress.

Lexi's raven curls swayed with her enticing waist without leaving a trace of the nasty wound she would be carrying for the rest of her days. Not that anything else about her was left to the imagination. The outlining of her proud member was as much on display as it was on the king's excruciatingly tight outfit. How one could not be bewitched by such beauty was beyond Margaret's imagination for she has certainly fallen under Alexia's spell. More so with each step of the former warrior. Her visible abs and musclebound thighs, Margaret's favourite, tensed and eased with every step of hers, as she walked past a clapping crowd, Helena and some of her closer friends aside, that still somehow looked mostly unimpressed. Especially the archduchess who eyed her like a hawk.

What a disgrace that even a woman so virtuous and selfless only was measured by the riches and prestige she was born with. By the same shallow people who looked at her condescendingly and those who could not even dream to ever be half as deserving of a crown than her. Yet they shook their head in arrogance. Would they have known Lexi as more than a stranger they deemed less than themselves, they would feel ashamed of ever doubting her. Margaret was certain of it, as well as the fact that they would never be able to see past their curtain of arrogance and self-obsession. Lexi would fight an uphill battle, starting with this moment, but she was born with the heart of a warrior -- and Margaret loved her for it.

The blonde king's azure eyes were glued to her wife as the most beautiful woman she could have ever imagined. In form and character. And then she spotted Agatha's and Ricky's gazes meeting Lexi's.

Agatha, wearing a purple dress under her bear coat was reduced to tears as she clapped for a woman who she always had maternal feelings for while all her friends were unsure of what to think of her. Ricky on the other hand was taken over by amazement not emotion. He had teased Lexi for days when he was told that any queen was expected to wear a dress. He was no longer laughing. His jaw had dropped by a few inches as he starred at her in excitement.

The young woman standing next to him looked not nearly as enthralled as him after she noticed his wide-open eyes and mouth. A cute, brunette girl, slim and dressed in silk and leather, pulled at his padded coat and when that proved insufficient of drawing his eyes away from Alexia, she drilled her elbow into his side.

Lexi, still terrified about her first proper introduction as a queen and not as a warrior, broke a wide smile before collecting herself. She was not expected to show any emotion and take on her royal obligations with grace and stoic professionalism, especially considering that many would never see her as a legitimate queen on Margaret IV's side. Laws prevented her from ever properly marrying the mother of her daughter, but once Euridike's crown would rest on her dark-haired head, they would have to show at least some respect.

Lexi was more than aware about that fact and so was Margaret. They had discussed this issue for weeks and while both would have loved to see themselves united in matrimony under the eyes of the gods, they knew they did not need theirs or anyone else's blessing. They had themselves and their family, which would be extended by one more member soon.

Alexia's powerful strides remained calm and collected, her face once again unmoving and stern with her eyes firmly upon the steps ahead of her. Suddenly a figure stopped her in her tracks. One that towered above anyone in the crowd, including the gigantic king.

Anastasia stepped forward right before Lexi passed her and laid both her hands onto the smaller woman's exposed arms. Margaret could not tell what words were exchanged, but seeing Alexia brighten up with her signature smile and then watching her mother kiss a woman she now openly declared a daughter on both her cheeks, brought the blonde almost to tears.

While their people watched unfazed about anything Alexia stood for, this made many noblewomen gasp and mutter in awe. Anastasia might no longer be the king they swore allegiance to, but her wisdom would always be beyond contestation. In this small act of compassion, she did more to legitimise Lexi than the crown waiting for her ever could. Both were aware of that.

"Thank you... mother."

Margaret heard Lexi say when the room dropped silent like a graveyard after that gesture. Anastasia's face remained out of the king's sight, but Margaret knew what it looked like -- and how it shone with pride.

All doubts were washed off of Lexi's face as kingmother stepped back in line with her commander. The moment her grey eyes returned to meet Margaret's kingly gaze, she looked reborn and ready to take on any challenge thrown at her. Even a queen's crown.

She took the last few steps with grace, her hips at last without the company of Beth's sword, despite her requesting it multiple times. The rules were as old as they were unforgiving. While both were bound to the ceremony that was expected, they set out to make it one worth remembering, now that they stood side by side.

Lexi blushed when only inches separated her from Margaret.

"You look ready to be crowned," Margaret whispered with a grin.

"I look ridiculous," she returned equally softly.

"You have never been more beautiful," Margaret returned while reaching for queenmother's crown.

Lexi took the knee as her King held the silver crown accompanied with the red glimmer of the rubies that graced it.

"This woman has joined me on a path that led us through many valleys. Ones of hardship and despair. Full of danger and unsteadiness. Yet she prevailed with strength, bravery and never-ending loyalty. Through merit and compassion, she carved her way into my heart and earned this place by my side. This journey was as much hers as it was mine and as such it shall continue. As our journey. Bound by honour and by the oaths we swear here today as one. Rise as queen and protector of the two people gathering here today and every living soul in our kingdom. Alexia, my queen."

Margaret's voice echoed louder during this part of her speech, for it was almost even more important to her to make her point heard. Still, not everything was meant for the watchful ears of their subjects.

As Lexi got up to her full height and while her crown was lowered onto her, applause once more took hold of the festive halls and shielded Margaret's word that were destined just for the queen's ears.

"And the love of my life. Forever."

Alexia's chin quivered like it always did when she was about to cry, but a simply adorable smile conquered her face instead. The queen offered her hand to her king and turned around to present themselves as the royal couple for the first time.

The guards and the royal family were the first to take the knee as king and queen, both in their full royal splendor, looked over their subjects. Every other visitor followed and held their heads low, expecting more words from both king and queen. There was one last page to be written on this coronation. One last small gesture with a grand meaning. Possibly the most important yet.

"My friends. This day is a turning point. To us, to everyone within these walls and to everyone beyond. A journey on which I invite all of you to join us and a journey that my queen and I have taken our first steps on almost a year ago," Margaret started and with Alexia's hand embracing her own walked towards the bowing crowd.

"It was a warm spring day when the gods smiled upon us. At the time we felt like they damned us. They led us on a path that made us realise that this world needs changing. A change that had to begin with ourselves first. We had to learn to see where we were blind before. Raise your heads my friends. Raise your heads and see with me," Margaret said.

The room rose to meet the king's blue eyes. Margaret once more noticed the confusion in many of them, even the humans that looked puzzled over her words, while their friends started to smile.

"Look around my friends. Sisters take a look into the eyes of your brothers. Brothers take a look in the eyes of your sisters. Too long did we miss the sight of something this important. Too long did we ignore the similarities that defined us. Too long have we looked for the differences we wished to see. You see brothers and sisters before you who share the same upcoming, pray to the same gods, share the same history. You see the same energy and love for life you want to see in yourself. We are all siblings. It is time we remember that."

Margaret paused and allowed her guests to take in the moment. Many embraced their king's words and let their eyes stray to the people they often deemed faceless. Barely with a soul at times. Dangerous and worthy of being annihilated. Many were raised to believe just that.

The humans were also looking into the eyes of those they saw as nothing more as murderers and the ones who took their fathers, sons, mother and daughters from them. They were also not looking into the eyes of monsters, eager to plunder and murder. They also found what they saw in themselves: pride, fear and the dawning realisation that their enemy was also capable of compassion. All they needed to see was a face.

Margaret smiled when saw this realisation on both sides and continued walking towards the middle of the throne room.

"Of course, we had to learn this lesson too, my friends. When we sat out, we left as two pride sisters, not seeing past the world we wanted to see. We were blind and the prospect of opening our eyes for the first time scared us. Of course, it scared us and it will scare you too no doubt. But I can assure you all gathered here, that your fears are unfounded. When my queen and I found ourselves looking into the faces standing before you today we found no hostilities, no hatred. We were invited with open arms, with the same hospitality we all want to claim for ourselves. Only then our eyes were opened and when we met our long-lost brother, we knew we came together as a family once more. With each passing day we were proven something we never realised before: We missed our brother. And with each new day we proved to our brother, that their sister was also craving a reunion long overdue. A reunion where we both could listen to what moves us, laugh over what binds us and cry over what upsets us. Today is the day of this reunion."

Margaret and Alexia halted in front of the human sector where most of the guards were gathered. To make sure no hostilities could rekindle from either side. They were no longer needed.

With just a sway of the royal sceptre the guards standing between the humans and the royal couple dispersed and took up positions next to king and queen.

"Step forward proud brother. I heard you brought a gift for your sister," Margaret said and many in the room started mumbling to each other while trying to catch a glimpse of who the king was talking to.

Ricky stepped forward with a face as red as the tomatoes in his kitchen. He never expected to have the eyes of the most influential people in the kingdom rest upon him. Not many would have expected such from an apprentice. The blonde man stood before his queen and king, barely reaching the breasts of the later. Yet his impact would be gigantic.

He opened his wide cloak and revealed what he brought with him and what Manuel and others worked on for many hours.

"This is our gift for you, proud sister," Ricky said in a wavering voice and held up his present.

A sceptre made by the humans and ornamented with what they could afford. They did not possess any emeralds or rubies, nor did they afford a grip out of ebony or any of the luxury that many associated to a king. They had to make do with what the ocean provided them with and were still only limited by their ingenuity and craftsmanship. Their gift was carved out of wood, gathered by one of the many adventurers that travelled all the way up to the border of the known ocean. It shone dark, almost like mahogany with a glimpse of redness as sunlight danced on it. The words and pictures carved into it made it almost look like waves breaking through a painting, with a globe out of silver and ornamented with pearls and aquamarine resembling the beauty of the sea and the affection of the people who mastered it.

They did not have any mines to extract those riches from the earth either. They smelted what little they had to hand over an offering that was truly a gift that meant something to them. A gift they thought they could not afford, and still found ways of doing so. Many seemed to have realised that as soon as Margaret held it up for everyone to see.

Margaret, now holding both the sceptre of her own people in her left and of the humans in her right widened her arms and turned around to also meet the eyes of her sisters.

"I thank you whole heartedly my brother. For this gift is as valuable to me as it is to you. And what it means for both of us. Today, at a day of gifts and reunions we came together as siblings once more, greeting each other with open hearts and open arms. Let this day be remembered as such and let this day be concluded in a feast that is worthy of such an occasion," Margaret said and nodded as the guards opened the gate.

"Come with me my friends. It has been long since brother and sister sat together at the table of their mothers. Let them hear your stories and worries. Let us listen, laugh and cry together as one. As the family we were always meant to be," she said and led with Alexia by her side her visitors, hermaphrodites and humans alike towards the royal gardens where they would celebrate together.

12