Out of the Ashes Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Manuel," Margaret muttered as she turned to her right.

Her former boss, the one person she wouldn't even dare to expect, stood right there next to her and almost looked like she remembered him. Sure, his hair thinned out noticeably and his wrinkles deepened even further, but he did not lose that fatherly smile of his. Against all odds.

"You... are... here?"

"You have to thank Lexi for that, Maggie," the old innkeeper said, barely standing much taller than the seated king. "She made sure my arrival would not be noticed by your people and mine."

A shocked Margaret slowly turned around while every fibre of her sore body weighed her down.

"Was this the reason why you left?"

"It was," Alexia smirked proudly and winked at Manuel. "You know, there are a few paths only the commanders of the royal guard know about. Some of which can be used to smuggle people in and out. Even mayors."

"But... why? Manuel... I could have invited you. Just like at our coronation," Margaret muttered in disbelief.

The rapidly aging man shrugged but shook his head.

"Maggie. I didn't stay away because of you or this place, but from those who live here with you. The less people know I am here the better, for both of us probably. Besides, my people wouldn't like the idea of me walking in and out of the king's palace."

Margaret remembered when she talked with Gretchen and also during Ricky's and Agatha's first visit. They hinted at how he must have felt when he learned that the girl he once welcomed in his home was the daughter of his worst enemy. The woman that ordered the death of his family. While his hatred for her mothers never rubbed off onto Margaret, she knew what a burden that must have been for him. Also, the way he must have been treated from his own people when he sided with the by now crowned highking only added to his misery. Yet, he was shining with nothing but joy and pride to see Margaret.

"I... understand. I... thank you. For ... coming," Margaret said and broke into tears.

She could barely control her emotions in the last few weeks, especially whenever she walked by the nursery Alexia ordered built for their daughter. Every visit in those pink painted walls and whenever she added new toys to the already staggering collection of dolls and figurines reduced her to tears. Alexia at times even made fun of her because of that, despite growing a lot more sentimental herself lately.

This, somehow hit harder. Way harder. Seeing the man who gave her and Lexi a chance when nobody else would and who stood by their side even in their darkest hour, to see him standing in her own home, a place that resembled everything he hated... that was too much for her to handle.

"Here she goes again," Alexia giggled and sat down next her whimpering king.

Usually, she would be the one to throw her arms around Margaret's neck, but she knew this turn was someone else's.

Margaret's hefty body jiggled as she shook with every new outburst. Especially her bloated breasts which resided right on top of her massive belly. Once she got going, she would cry until the last possible drop had escaped her azure eyes.

"Come here," Manuel said in a soft tone and embraced Margaret who stood almost twice his size and certainly his width. "Let it all out. My wife. She was just like that when she was pregnant. It's okay."

The blonde's crying only intensified after that. She wasn't even sure if it was because of Manuel's hug, or the fact he shared a tale of his own family with her. With HER. Whatever it was, Margaret kept on erupting until she was as dry as the raisins on the table.

"I ... am ... sorry," Margaret muttered, her head still resting on Manuel's chest.

"There is nothing to feel sorry for," he replied and stroke the king's back until the tidal wave finally ebbed away. "Nothing."

The highking's blue eyes were red and wet, her subtle make-up washed all over her cheeks and yet she could not remember any time when she felt more relieved and happier.

"It... feels so good to see you," Margaret gasped with a constantly quivering chin.

"It is great to see you too, child," Manuel said and even he traded in his stoic grumpiness for a smile that lightened the entire royal garden. "You look beautiful, Maggie. Like any soon to be mother."

"I just got fat," Margaret chuckled while wiping her last tears off with her sleeves.

"Beautiful, Margaret. Just beautiful and healthy. For your daughter," Manuel insisted and almost broke Margaret again.

The others witnessed the scene in silence. Only the occasional sobs from Agatha meddled with Margaret's much mightier outburst. But all wore the same bright smile on their face such a visit deserved.

"I... think... I am good now," Margaret eventually said and faced the others. "Now I get why you didn't want to drink and eat before. You waited for our final guest."

Ricky and Gretchen nodded softly while Agatha was still in the midst of fighting her emotions.

Margaret looked up to Alexia who silently had won that battle although it clearly took all her strength to do so. The wetness in her grey eyes didn't fully vanish yet.

"You are a monster for not telling me," the king laughed.

"It wouldn't have been a surprise otherwise," Alexia said with that proud smirk of hers. "Sorry it took so long, I had to keep protocol."

"Protocol?"

"She means I had to walk the entire way blindfolded, so I could not tell anyone about the secret passages into the palace," Manuel said.

"Was that really necessary, Lexi?" Margaret asked, knowing very well it was.

"It was. For all of us, including Manuel and besides... I did offer to carry him, but he rejected," Alexia replied, earning a chuckle from Ricky and Agatha.

"I ... see," Margaret joined their laughter and leaned in to her wife with the cheekiest of grins. "But is this a way to treat a guest of your highking? Such treatment is unacceptable. That deserves punishment."

"What kind of punishment has my highking in mind?" Alexia played along, also grinning ear to ear.

"How about you bring us another plate of-"

"Is already on the way," Alexia interrupted. "Deserts too."

"And another bottle of ou-"

"Already taken care of."

Margaret's snow-white teeth danced in the sun when she only had one more question to ask.

"And what about kingmother?"

Alexia, by now equally playful as her king, looked into the eyes of all her friends before pretending like she had to whisper from behind a shielding hand.

"Lyssa is currently occupying her with something. Most likely on the other end of the palace. Nobody will interrupt us."

"Is that so?" Margaret smiled and grabbed Manuel's hand. "Looks like we have a few hours for ourselves then. Please, take a seat, Manuel. The finest of feasts are reserved for the finest of guests. And you, my friend, are the finest."

12