OZone 13 : Family Tithes

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers

"Let me guess. You watched too many Highlander movies."

Oz nods with a pucker, "Gotta love those. On the subject there, what was their mission in those?"

His boy thinks back, "To clang swords until someone died and started glowing?"

"Reckon so." Oz chuckles, "More to it though. It was all 'bout, "Honor", and that's how we got yer name. Letter "C" is meant to be "SEE". He points to his eyes, "The "ONNOR" is "HONOR". We both saw Honor in you. It was her honor to give birth to my first and only born son. It was my honor to sire such a bright boy. There's yer glow. Reckon the sword fightin' was prolly Me battlin' the Doc's scalpel. Bet you thought that "C" letter meant "C-section." He winks, "Nope. Natural. Tore yer Momma up but she refused any drugs and took you on fer 18 hours hard labor. Now ya know what I saw in yer Momma. Tough gal. Loyal, and determined."

The son was becoming mesmerized by his every word.

Dhorne sighs looking down at his feet and crosses them all sissy like to mock Connor's earlier stance. A nod later Connor relaxes his feet and returns to his more comfortable position. With a warm smile shared Oz taps the lid of the box.

"So, what'd you stash in here?"

The boy lowers his gaze almost embarrassed, "I was really mad at you. Mom didn't know what I put in there. She refused to look telling me that it was my decision. Not hers. It's not what you might think. Open it."

Inhaled cheeks later Oz pops the lid off to look inside, "A diary?"

Connor blushes, "Scrapbook slash diary. You might as well open it up and read it."

Oz in turn removes it from the confetti surrounding it. He pauses to pull a strand of confetti out and examine it, "This here savings bonds?"

Connor chuckles, "No. I did consider that but of course I was too young to get those out of the bank. It's the original diary pages. I wrote two. The first one was how I felt before that day Mom came up with the capsule idea. If you really want to know what those pages contained I guess you need to piece together the past."

Oz swallowed hoarsely, "Yup. Yer my boy."

Opening the book after unlocking the tiny padlock he tilts the cover open to a taped in photograph of Connor as a baby. Oz reads the caption, "I was raised in the wild by wolves." A smirk later he opens the next page to find a baby tooth glued to a lock of his own hair. "Tooth fairy returned it. Like my Dad I grabbed her by the hair. She never dropped by again."

Dhorne chuckles, "Good one."

Connor blushes and saches his head from side to side.

Next page flipped open he finds the petals of a rose dried and left without a stem, "This one never came home either. I waited every spring."

Oz choked up slightly turning the page to avoid any further thought on the tearjerker. "What's this here?"

Connor leans over to refresh his memory, "Dirty hand prints from when I buried my hamster, "Master Yoshi". By the way, I used your medal case to bury him in. Along with the medals. I figured he needed them more than you did."

Oz glares toward his home through the thicket and realizes he hadn't seen them during his tours. Finally, he nods, "Just bars and ribbons. No Biggy. Reckon Yoshi went above and beyond his call of duty. Deserved 'em more than Me."

Connor frowns, "I'll dig him up and get them back for you."

"Leave Yoshi down under." Oz shakes his head, "Don't go disturbin' the dead. Besides, they'll be dug up without you and me shoveling shit."

Connor raises an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Oz merely flips the page.

The following page is dog eared. With a smirk Oz had to reflect on the irony he felt. A set of three photos showing young Connor swinging a stick at his birthday piñata forces a round of amusing images. "Swing one outside. Swing two low. Swing three it's outta there."

The final picture showed a rain of loose savings bonds fluttering through the air as Connor stood with the stick disappointed. The look in his eye jerked at Dhorne's soul, "So, maybe that weren't the best birthday gift in the world. I was on a tour of duty in Mexico. What did you expect a donkey?"

Fidgeting his lips Connor shrugged almost distant, "Who gets a nine year old kid savings bonds? Dad, we're rich."

Oz narrows his eyes, "Richer for not showing it off. Don't you ever get the idea you can go all Beverly Hills or yer zippin' right into 9021Owe. We don't live like that. Got it?"

Connor nods, someday he would call his Father on his own advice. Page turned, Oz looks up at the sky, "Getting dark. Prolly should hurry this along."

Connor really couldn't care less. Flipping through various pages of mementos of his sons depressing childhood he frowns at just how sad he had left his boy all those years. Not even when Oz came home for a month or longer did it help. Connor stops his Father from turning a page, "Look at this one."

Oz studies it closer to his face, "Some guy and his lil girl on a dock in life jackets. You take the pic?"

Connor smiles, "Yes. Grampa gave me an old camera. That was my first picture. It was down near the piers where the big boat landing is. I took the picture because I saw how happy they were that day. I imagined you and I." He reaches up and assists in turning the page, "This is us."

Oz swallowed as he found two photos taped to the paper side by side. Oz in uniform off somewhere with a sunset behind him on the ocean. Connor on the main road by the mail box with his hands in his pockets looking down as the sun began to set. Dhorne shook his head.

"That was in Japan. Land of the Rising Sun. Guessin' what came up there was going down here. I see yer point." He closes the book and carefully plants it back into the box. "Nuff for one day." Looking up once again at the sky he sheds a tear caught by Connor without noticing until his son's finger graced his eye forcing him to flinch. The moment shattered Oz. Tears fell hard at realizing his son's loneliness.

Connor offered a sad expression. "Now you know how I felt. Now quit crying you big baby."

A chuckle together meant the world to both.

The moment stalled at the rustle of leaves above followed by a gruff, "It's time, Garrison."

Both Dhorne's looked behind them to see Gus LeGend standing behind them in a ratty old cashmere sweater. Oz rises to his feet and dusts his backside off then extends a hand to his son. Connor jumps up on his own disregarding the offer of help. "What do you mean, Grampa? Time for what?"

Gus steps around through the archway and looks down with his hands in the pockets of his slacks, "It's time this family mended completely. Oz? If you would be so kind."

A hand motions toward the grass off to the left of Nora's tombstone. In reply Oz crouches down digging his fingers into the soil before prying up hard an iron plate which was concealed beneath the grass. Connor's jaw dropped, "Whoa! Please don't tell me you guys are desecrating Mom's grave."

"Hardly, my boy. Nora knew of this. She was prepared to assume a man's job should there be no heir. What your Father and I show you this day must remain absolutely a secret until you're as old as I. Is that understood?"

Connor nods in awe, "I'll take it to my--Mom's grave."

Oz was hesitant but the comment made him beam with pride, "Trust starts anew, Conjob. If anyone learns of this the entire ancestry of the LeGend kin would roll over in theirs. No grave mistakes. One slip and a whole lotta trouble comes callin'."

Connor fidgets with a glare, "I get it."

A wave to continue Oz opens the hatch fully as Gus produces a small flashlight from under his armpit then steps over the hole finding a ladder downward. Step by step he descended into the darkness as he calls up, "Join me Connor."

The younger Dhorne quickly leaps into the shadows after snatching up his box of memories. To be closely followed by his Father who seals the hatch firmly locking them beneath Nora's grave. Below, Gus had purged the darkness with fresh batteries, expressing an incandescent glow of halogen.

Connor squinted to see cobwebs and dirt walls supported by old wooden rafters. "This is cool. Did you make this room Grampa?"

Gus plants an arm around his grandson's shoulder, "Oh, no. This was built long before I was born. Well before my Great Grandfather even. What you see before you is something designed centuries ago. Carefully concealed by my ancestors. Your native American bloodline led our Greater grandfather "Francisco LeGend" to this spot early on in the New World. Before any troublesome Governments. In truth Francisco was more closely a Founding Father than any powder wigged, wooden teethed President that stepped forward so much later in time. This place belongs to the Earth, Connor. Not in any museum or geological society special. There can be no documents on this area. That is why our family preserves it so."

Connor's eyes dance in the dimly lit aura. Oz ruffles his hand in his son's hair, "High time we put the past to rest, Boy. I'm here. You're here. I'm never leaving you or this place unguarded ever again. I aim to take care of both of ya proper. Your Grampa here appointed me Guardian of this place. I'll die to protect it. So will you, one day. So put yer dolls up."

"You're worried I was going to grow up gay weren't you?"

"Naaaaa, just lil too happy in the wrong places."

Gus clears his throat, "If you two would stop with the banter please?"

Oz nods, "Sorry Gus." Augustus kicks something on the ground and bends over to pick it up. As he does a set of fingers pinches his ass in the darkness. He jerks erect and looks at Connor with distaste. Connor swiftly points at Oz who lifts his head looking toward the ceiling.

"Belongs up here Gus."

Shaking off the adolescent antics of his son-in-law Gus raises the sign carved into a piece of wood to suspend it where it belonged. Once lodged into place Gus shines the light on the engraving. A quick dusting over the words by Dhorne's hand Connor reads the quote, "Slavery gained is a freedom lost. Freedom lost is a slavery given. 1849 Ambrose LeGend." Connor looks between the two men, "Underground Railroad? Harriet Tubman's time period."

Gus smiles vibrantly, "Yes indeed. Nora raised a very bright boy."

Connor fidgets as Oz lowers his gaze at having taught his boy nothing. "That's why Mom and Grandma tried sinking in so many history lessons when they home schooled me. They were preparing me?"

Gus nods, "Not completely. It was a requirement. What you need to know is simply right before your eyes."

With a glare of the light extended forward Connor realized it was hardly just a room.

"Shall we go?" Gus waved an arm for them to follow.

As they journeyed deeper into the darkness Connor had time to think, "You said Mom knew about this place. Does Aunt Nina?" Gus halts shining the light into the boys eyes, "NO! And, my daughter will never know. Is that very clear? Nina is shall we say less than stable to be holding such a secret. Greed corrupts her. Don't take me wrong my boy. I love my daughter dearly. Unfortunately, that trust has been somewhat flawed over time. In the best interest of our ancestors I believe it best she not be privy to such secrets."

Connor nods in understanding then offers a perplexed look, "Why me?"

Oz steps forward in front of his boy, "Yer not just a LeGend. Yer a Dhorne. Rich heritage on both sides of the fence. I may joke around but I do take this job serious. I'm hopin' our genes are threaded outside the sweat shops. Gotta keep the armor snug and close to the vest on this. I told Gus I didn't think you was ready. I expect you to prove me wrong. Tight lip. Respect yer Elders." He fans his arms around, "Not just Gus and Me. I'm talkin' yer Momma and all the way back. Hear the drums boy? That's a warrior heart. So turn down yer "IPod" so ya don't miss a beat."

Connor stares without expression, "I swear I won't say anything. It's just a tunnel though. Underground Railroad, right?"

Gus stares through Connor before speaking, "More than that my boy. All in good time. This is only the beginning. Let's just stop here for today. I promise you we will let you in on more after I return from Colorado."

Connor displays a look of disappointment, "You're worried I can't be trusted. Wait! You're going to Colorado?"

Oz puts a hand over his sons mouth, "Ain't that. Let's just say Young at heart doesn't mean old in spirit. At yer age warriors were being taught to kill bears with their--well--bare hands. I don't think yer ready to kill no teddies. What Gus is saying is, lesson number one is in yer planner. The rest comes when class resumes."

Connor merely nods, "Okay. I get it. You're studying my reaction right now. Seeing if I'm impatient. I can wait."

Gus prides himself with a smile. "I believe we have our next generation, Ozymandias. And, yes your Grandmother and I are going away on business."

Oz held his breath.

"Dinner is most likely ready. I'll meet you both topside at the Manor."

Gus hands Garrison the flashlight and moves off to the right disappearing into the darkness. Connor swallows then turns to his Dad, "Won't he get lost?"

Oz chuckles, "Ole Gus is a human compass. That there tunnel leads to the Manor's basement. We go this way."

He grips Connor by the shirt and encourages him to follow. Sticking to his Father's boot heels so as not to get lost they continue through the damp arena of shadows until Dhorne reaches a ladder going up, "Stay right here and be quiet. I'll call you up with a flicker."

The boy gives him a thumbs up as Oz scales the ladder halting at the top to listen. No sounds heard he slides a panel aside which instills a halo of natural light overhead. Connor could see his Father crawl out of the hole and step away for only a few moments before seeing the flashlight flicker to call him up. Swiftly Connor moves up the ladder and crawls out. Dhorne stops him long enough to tell him to remove his tennis shoes to avoid dirt on the carpet.

"There's a trapdoor under the fireplace in the Master bedroom?"

Oz shakes his head, "Figgered that might a flue over yer head."

Connor sneers at him for mocking his words. Oz left his own boots by the fireplace and they stepped freely into the house. Mercedes and her Construction crew were out in the yard polishing up the foundation and erecting the framework for the added bedrooms. Luckily for them their timing was perfect. Nobody would see their entrance and exit. Dhorne quietly motions Connor to step to his bedroom window on looking the backyard deck. Carefully, Oz opens the French door and steps out pulling Connor along. Standing to the far end of the deck together Oz places his arm around him before fanning his left hand out over the lake.

"See all that, Conjob? That there's what we protect. Twenty mile collar around that big ole water balloon. Below the surface is the soul of this state."

Connor squints, "Wasn't the lake a coal mine?"

Oz nods still whispering, "Yup. Santa left us one big lump. Nope. Goes deeper than the miner's back in the day knew. Gus can tell you the rest. Thought I'd just let you in on my own lil tidbit. Zip the lip and swear on yer momma's nip. Stay's in this house." Connor smiles at his Dad, "When can I move back in here?"

Dhorne scratches his head, "Least another week. I made some calls before I came to get ya earlier. Some last minute things I wanna get done. Mercedes and the gals have some additions to finish. Got some surprises for ya." Oz winks.

Connor leers over the rail of the deck looking down beside the tool shed, "Is that a dog house? Are we getting a dog? I've never had a dog."

Dhorne chuckles lightly at seeing his son's face brighten up at the idea.

"Yup. Cute lil Pekingese ya can call, "Foo Foo"."

Connor mocks his Father then offers, "How about a sheep dog? I can call him "Yoshi" too."

Oz shakes his head, "Best advice I can give ya? Don't call yer new dog "Yoshi". He hates Chinese. Gives him gas."

Both chuckle under their breath as Oz pulls his son in close for an overly strong hug. Maybe there was a future, here.

A glance toward Nora's grave confirms it.

The family had lots to offer.

"Uh, Dad?"

"Yea?"

"Why are all the contractors hot girls?"

"They're payin' it forward. Earnin' a place in my world."

"Our world?"

Oz squints at his boy as if reading his mind.

"You ain't wearin' any of their bras."

"I don't think any of them are even wearing bras." The boy chuckles.

"Good eye. Maybe you ain't funny after all."

"Nope. Not even."

"Do we need to have that Father an son sex talk?"

Connor groans.

"Seriously?"

"Let's go before the gals see us."

"Can't I meet them?"

"Didn't see us come in. Ain't seein' us leave."

"Awww Man!"

"You might be my boy after all."

Shoes back on they vanish below.

Reaching Nora's grave plot they close up and stand there together.

A butterfly flutters and lands on Connor's shoulder.

"Cool."

"Yer Momma's butterin' you up."

"Monarch."

Maybe one day Dhorne considers.

He wasn't completely convinced.

"Wanna come home with me Yoshi?" Connor holds the butterfly on his fingertip looking at it with his eyes crossed.

Nope.

Boy had some growing up to do.

Regardless, Dad was proud.

SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers
12