Pacific Capital

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That much?" he asked. "We have not considered markets beyond Pacific Rim, US, Canada and Mexico. We are concerned over market acceptance."

"Yet your manufacturing sectors provide many parts for global manufacturers?" Hannah asked.

And Anh's face lit up, "Yes. That is correct. We do."

We concluded our meeting that evening with handshakes all around. We would firm up our capital partners and send a proposal to Anh within a month.

Cece had been busy digging through our data files and documents as well as taking notes throughout our meeting and was exhausted when we were done. Her laptop's battery was just about dead as we wrapped up our meeting.

"That was intense," she commented as we left the Ministry of Trade.

Quang had also been silent for most of the meeting. After we got back in his car he commented, "I have never experienced such a meeting. You people know our country's potential even better than we know ourselves. You must have many experts working for you?"

"No Quang. Actually very few. But we have very good people that we can rely upon to provide a comprehensive assessment." I informed him.

"Our Minister of Trade, Minister Anh, was most impressed. I could see."

"Numbers are numbers, Quang. What really matters is whether your country can make this work. The money is just a tool to be used. Your country must be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity when it is made available."

He nodded his head as he drove us back to our hotel.

"Mr. Sekimura," he asked.

"Peter," I replied, "Quang, it is Peter."

"Mr. Sekimura," he continued with a smile, "I am honored to be able to work with your group. But I have a favor to ask."

"Please ask," Hannah answered.

"We have a small International business program at our University. Would you be able to speak to them tomorrow?"

"Cece, how does our schedule look?" I asked.

"Flexible. We should send out a synopsis of our meeting either later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. But otherwise we have tomorrow and the next day open just in case we needed to discuss the proposal in greater detail with Trade Ministry representatives or just want to do some sightseeing or shopping."

"Quang, then I think we would be honored to spend some time with your students tomorrow. Then a little shopping afterwards for the ladies?"

Hannah and Cece smiled.

Quang grinned, "thank you. Our students will be most grateful."

So we agreed to meet him in the lobby tomorrow around 10am. He would take us over to the Hanoi University where we would meet with students who were enrolled in the school's international business program.

It was after 7pm by the time we returned to our hotel so we dropped our things in our room and went straight down to the dining room. Surprisingly the dining room was fairly busy for this time of night. But we were able to get seated promptly.

"So, what do you think?" I asked Hannah and Cece.

"I think we need their help to build a better economic forecasting model to support our request for funding. We have a lot of variables in our model. I'm unsure whether our normal funding sources would be receptive to the package the way it is." Hannah replied after a moment's reflection.

"Perhaps. But this is also an opportunity to explore other capital markets that have experience with investments in Asia. They might have a higher comfort level."

"Or vice versa. Local knowledge trumps models." Hannah countered.

"Agree."

In the meantime Cece had sat back in her seat and took a sip from her wine glass, "I don't know if you guys noticed, but there was someone in that meeting that didn't say a word, but I think she might be a power broker behind the scenes."

Hannah and I both gave Cece our attention. We had been focused on Anh, the numbers and the dialogue, not necessarily the people on the periphery.

"What or who did you see?" I asked.

"There was an older woman seated behind and to the left of Minister Anh. She seemed to be following the conversations very closely. I'm pretty sure that she understood English well."

"Why do you think that?" Hannah asked.

"She nodded her head from time to time, and at one point tapped someone on their arm and spoke quietly to them. And immediately after, that person slipped Anh a note."

"Hm, the power behind the throne? Or an advisor?" I asked rhetorically.

"I think it would be interesting to see if Quang can tell us anything about that woman." Cece said.

I nodded my head in agreement, "Or if he gets nervous about the question. That would confirm your suspicions. But even if he does confirm that this woman was important player, how would that impact our negotiations to date?"

No one could offer a likely scenario so we decided to just ask Quang and let it go for now. Just another riddle to figure out.

It had been a tiring day so we took turns with the shower and adjourned to our bed. Yes, "our" bed. Of course Hannah and Cece didn't wear any clothes, and they shucked me from my underwear in five seconds flat. Hannah sat on my face while Cece sat on my erection. I ate Hannah out while Cece posted up and down on my dick and almost got my cum up her quim before the girls switched places. Hannah ended up with my cream up her pussy.

The next morning rolled around sooner than any of us wanted. But we needed to get our advisory notes back to Lillian Korning, our CFO, as well as to our board. So a quick shower, breakfast, followed by summary documents that Hannah and Cece had drafted for my review. A couple of adjustments here and there, and we were done by 9am. A quick trip to the restroom, then we went down to the lobby to meet Quang for our visit to the Hanoi University, and their international business students.

The drive to the campus was interesting as we passed through an older section of Hanoi. Quaint food stalls, small stores, and obscure temples here and there. I was tempted to spend a day or two exploring this section of the town on a following trip; assuming that we were successful in putting our deal together.

We arrived on campus and were greeted by the university's chancellor and dean of their business school. After a little bowing and hand shaking, we were led to an auditorium for the presentation. Not knowing what to expect, I hadn't planned anything. So we winged it after we were introduced by the dean.

"Hi everyone. Hope you can understand me. My English is better than my Vietnamese." I explained and everyone laughed. Yes, a receptive audience.

"Let me introduce ourselves first, then we'll try to answer any questions you might have about being an international business person."

And with that, we launched into a short introduction of Pacific Capital, what Hannah and Cece did and what my job was.

The presentation was slated to be for an hour, however there were so many questions that the dean and chancellor asked if we could extend for another hour and we agreed.

"Ok, I think our time is just about up. We'll take one final question." And I pointed to a gal in the front row.

"Mr. Sekimura, Ms. Keran, Ms. Wyatt, first I must say for everyone here thank you for this chance to meet you. My question is simple, but I think the answer may be difficult. What do you think is in Vietnam's future?"

Hannah and Cece both pointed to me to answer the question. So I paused a moment to gather my thoughts.

"Yes, a difficult question to answer because it asks how good is my crystal ball." Everyone laughed at that but I could see that they were listening very attentively.

"Vietnam is moving from an agrarian economy to an industrial economy, on its way to a technology based economy. It's a matter of learning how to walk before you start running and pole vaulting. Trade relations, the capacity of your work force to embrace new ideas and technology, your ability to reach beyond yourselves and collaborate with others in our global market; so many things need to happen. But they are exciting things. I think that your country will grow and prosper so long as you take care of your fundamentals and always look forward. Always work towards what is best for everyone and not just yourself personally. Sure, you can benefit if you just think about yourself and have a great job with someone. However just think about how much greater it would be if you and your colleagues, sitting here today, could help to push Vietnam into the next century as a world class trading partner. That would benefit everyone, and you would benefit even more."

You could hear a pin drop as I spoke those last few words.

"If you are up for it, I challenge you to make a difference for your country." The resulting uproar left us stunned. Shit, I should have been a motivational speaker. I just hoped that the glow wouldn't wear off too soon for these students.

The auditorium was slowly clearing when Minister Anh and Quang approached us and shook our hands. The older women who had been sitting in on our earlier meeting at the Ministry of Trade that Cece had tagged as being someone on importance, was with them.

"Mr. Sekimura, Ms. Kerran, Ms. Wyatt; quite a presentation. You have made a quite an impression on our students."

I smiled as we shook hands with everyone.

"Mr. Sekimura," the older woman said as she introduced herself, "I am Ling Minh Dao. I enjoyed very much your presentation to our students. Do you truly believe what you said?"

Ling; I thought. Why is that name familiar? Shit, of course, vice premier of Vietnam. Yes, Cece, power behind the scenes. Considered by some to be the prime mover and shaker.

"Yes Ms. Vice Premier," I replied which caused her to smile. "I truly believe that Vietnam has the potential to be a world trading partner. That is the reason why we are here and why Pacific Capital is willing to align itself with your country."

She nodded her head. "Our needs are many. We need outside investment if we are to provide opportunities for our young people. They will help us grow and prosper if we can provide them with the right environment to do so."

I nodded my head in agreement. "I agree. But we should not rush but make sure that growth and development are prudent and have long term benefits. Steady growth is preferable over short term peaks and valleys."

"Sensible approach. One that we endorse as well." She replied.

"Minister Anh," she told Anh, "I look forward to receiving their proposal." And she bowed and left.

We decided to have a late lunch somewhere close to the campus. So Quang asked a few people and we were soon seated in a local sidewalk café that offered different types of ban-mi (a delicious sandwich) and different versions of phô (a Vietnamese noodle soup). Wow. Wow.

I had just woofed down a bowl of phô when a young lady came to our table and bowed to Quang and to us.

"I just want to thank you for speaking to us this morning. Your talk give us much inspiration. We want to become international business people but how do we take next step after our school is done?" she asked.

"Does your school offer placements or interviews with international businesses?" I asked.

"Not that I know. Once we graduate, most go to government service. Many of us want to be in business sector. Not government."

Quang piped in at that moment, "we need more of our people in private business sectors. They will be the ones that will improve our trade and improve our economy."

Cece raised her hand and we laughed.

"Yes Cece?" I asked.

"Ah, maybe it's not my place, but perhaps we can expand our scholarship program to include one or two internships?" she asked.

I looked at Hannah and she looked at me and shrugged her shoulders. "But I think it would work better if we could identify Vietnamese businesses that are already engaged in exporting. Or manufacturing with the intent to export."

Quang gave it a moment before replying, "Agree but many local businesses don't know how to sell to others outside of our country."

Now here was the opportunity. "Quang," I began, "do you think your country would be interested in hiring an outside consultant who could introduce selected businesses to foreign markets? Who could teach them how to do business in the global marketplace?"

"You would do so?" he asked.

"No, not me. My company is busy enough as is. However we know of someone who has a lot of experience in Asia and Pacific Rim countries. He might be a good fit. And he wouldn't be afraid to tackle new markets."

"I will ask. What are your ideas of how we could use a person such as this?" Quang asked.

"This is unplanned and not well thought out. But perhaps you could offer this person's services to the top 50 export businesses in Vietnam, on a first come, first served basis. This person would be a consultant to the Vietnamese government, but the business itself would pay all his other expenses such as travel, meals and entertainment, and other out of pocket expenses."

"What would a person like this cost us to engage?"

"I don't know but I think you should be prepared to offer at least US$200,000 to US$250,000 to start with."

"That is quite a bit to pay."

"Quang, you get what you pay for. You want the best. And at this level, it's usually an at-will arrangement." Hannah interjected.

"At-will? What is at-will arrangement?" Quang asked.

"If it isn't working out, you part ways immediately. Perhaps 30-day notice or something like that."

The poor student's eyes were going back and forth as she followed the conversation. Probably realizing how far out of her element that she was, she had anxiety written all over her face. Cece reached out and put a hand on her arm to calm her down and keep her from leaving.

Quang was taking in all that we had said and I could see the eagerness in his remarks. He wanted to support this idea.

"Mr. Sekimura, Ms Keran, Ms. Wyatt. I cannot say how much your visit to our country has helped us. You have helped open my eyes to what is possible. I will be sure to get word back to you quickly on this idea."

"And perhaps, Quang, you could use a person such as a graduating international business student, to provide support and assistance to the consultant?" I asked as I pointed to the young lady student. Her eyes bugged out in amazement.

Quang smiled, "that is another very good idea." He said as he gave her his business card and asked that she give him her contact information.

Cece jumped back into the conversation, "Do you think participating businesses could use other international business students?" she asked.

Quang nearly jumped out his chair with excitement, "Ms. Wyatt, another excellent idea. I must act quickly to put this program together. We have much to do."

"Quang," I asked, "would it help if we spoke with Vice Premier Ling about this? Would she have the authority to authorize such a program herself?"

He nodded his head, "even if she did not have the authority, she could provide her support to it, which would open many doors quickly."

Our young lady student was also having lunch at the side walk café so we invited her to join us at our table. Turns out that Phuong Hien Thu was a recent graduate of the program and was working part time at the school while she searched for employment with an international business.

As we worked our way through lunch a thought came to mind, "Quang, even if Vice Premier Ling approves the program it would probably take several months for it to come to fruition."

He nodded his head in agreement.

"Is there a means to secure Ms. Phuong for this program in the meantime?" I aked.

He paused for a moment before responding, "I don't think so. We would need to create a new position and that would take time. I am sorry."

Just as I thought. "Hannah, we will need someone here to be our point person. Someone who would be our liaison with local businesses and be our primary support when we are here, which I expect will be all the time over the coming year. We would train this person and she (I paused and looked at Hien when I said 'she') would be expected to eventually become Pacific Capital's Vietnam Manager of Affairs if she proves herself capable."

Hien's eyes were open wide as she took in all that I said, "Mr. Sekimura? You asking me to work for you?"

"What do you think? Would this position be of interest to you?" I asked in reply.

"Yes!" she said loudly, then quickly covered her mouth, surprised by her outbreak. "Thank you, thank you!"

Cece was smiling as she began the process of getting Hien's contact information and other details for her employment contract.

Quang was smiling and shaking his head at the same time. "But now I have to find someone else to help the consultant; that is if the program is approved."

"I think Hien could help you find someone." Hannah replied.

"Hien, if you are free this afternoon or tonight, we should meet to discuss the terms of your employment and what is needed over the next several months."

"Mr. Sekimura, I can meet whenever you want. This is once in lifetime opportunity for me."

"Ok, let's say 3pm at our hotel." And Cece gave her our hotel and room number.

Quang returned our group to our hotel. In parting he mentioned that he planned to see Vice Premier Ling as soon as possible to discuss our proposal with her. He would let us know as soon as he had an answer. Cece made sure that he had our contact information.

As we entered the lobby, Hannah stopped at the concierge and asked that a refreshment cart be sent up to our room for our meeting with Hien Phuong. And it arrived just before Hien knocked on our door.

Hannah greeted her as I was jotting down ideas and notes from our lunch meeting.

"Hien, please come in. Would you like anything from the refreshment cart?" Hannah asked as she helped herself to a bottle of water. Hien did likewise.

"Ok, Hien," I started out, "what was your international business curriculum? Were there any concentrations that you focused on?"

And we learned that their program was general and basic in nature. However it provided a grounding in the different ways that business is conducted in different areas of the world. As far as we were concerned, an open slate which we could mold, shape and nurture.

"Here's the offer. A comparable position in the US would pay Vietnamese Dong 85,000,000 (about US$5,000) each month as starting pay. Would that be acceptable to you?" I asked.

Hien's facial expression reflected her surprise as she nodded her head vigorously. "Mr. Sekimura, that is much money for new person just out of school."

"We have high expectations. You will work hard for this. But we will train and support you as much as we can."

"Cece, we will need to bring Hien over to the US to visit with us for a week or two, to meet others in the office; Lillian Horning, Beth Pearson, others. Work directly with Hien to set that up and schedule her appointments."

"Hien, we will need to set up an office here in Hanoi. Can you help us locate a suitable office space? We would need at least three private office spaces and a reception area. An equipment room, bathroom."

"I can help. We should refer to housing agent to make recommendations."

"Housing agent?"

"Yes, they handle office rent or buy for other property owners."

"That sounds like a good idea. Let's get that started tomorrow. Let's rent for now and consider buying later if that makes sense."

"Ah, Mr. Sekimura, do you have budget in mind for office rent?" Hien asked.

"Let's try to stay under Dong 50,000,000 (US$3,000) per month."

She smiled. "With that budget we can find many good offices. I will begin ask tomorrow."

Hannah chipped in, "Should we set up a bank account tomorrow so that Hien can start drawing when needed?"

"Good idea. We have some time before our flight leaves tomorrow night. Hien, can you recommend a bank for us to use?"

1...345678