Paradise Isle - The Mermaid Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Afterwards. But I really need to move. Loosen up some more."

"Okay, but not far. I bet tomorrow you'll be ready for a real walk, perhaps even out to the beach."

"That sounds good."

Holding onto her husband, Julie was able to walk, slowly and stiffly around and across about half of the little islands in the big central pool complex. Half way through they sat at a bar and had a beer, so she could rest.

Back in the room she took a nice nap, while Robert dozed on the patio.

Later the two of them walked a little more competently to the closest restaurant and had a celebratory dinner.

The sex that night was glorious, despite Julie's stiff muscles. It was so wonderful to enjoy missionary position sex for the first time in two weeks.

When they woke up in the big bed, the morning sun shining in their eyes, together for a change, they were both happy and comfortable. Robert suggested that they stay there and have sex, but Julie, feeling energetic, wanted to walk over to the main building and have breakfast in their restaurant overlooking the ocean. So off they went.

Robert was astounded at how well Julie was walking and moving. She had recovered remarkably quickly. Faster than anyone had predicted. He was proud and relieved.

They had an excellent meal, at a table with a fabulous view of the water, and afterward they went out to the beach and Julie even waded out into the surf for a while. The salt water was good for her legs, and the wave action encouraged her body to come back to life.

They spend a couple of hours there before, sadly, they had to go back so Robert could pack.

"I'm sorry I missed out on more of this." Julie said dreamily, as they worked their way back to the room.

They both avoided any discussion of their upcoming separation.

An hour later Giselle showed up to run them over to the dock in a small jeep.

"I don't usually do this, but it's a special trip," she explained, understanding the difficulties the couple faced.

At the pier, they had a tough, and teary parting. Robert was already planning on his return visit, and Julie was torn between her husband and her new job.

Julie leaned on Giselle as they waived farewell to Robert as he stood at the rail of the ferry as it pulled out to sea.

When he was out of sight, Giselle gave her new colleague a hug. "Come Julie, my friend. we have a lot to do to get you started on your job with us."

The first step was to get Julie her new, tan wrist band, that would tell the world that she was now an employee of the island.

"Now you're one of us. That band will get you free meals, breakfast lunch and dinner at any of the restaurants or bars. All the water and soda you want to drink, any time. And one alcoholic beverage at each meal."

"Only one?" Julie asked with a smile.

Giselle laughed. "Yes, you will be on duty, remember. You're in the hospitality business now."

The rest of the day was a whirlwind of necessary tasks. Starting at Personnel, to sign her final employment papers, and get an Island ID card.

Then it was back to her old suite to collect her things and move them to a mermaid suite close on the water's edge. She wouldn't have Robert around any more to transport her back and forth between pools.

That task complete, it was over to the salon to have her hair touched up to maintain Ariel's full and long, bright red.

"Great." Giselle said a couple of hours later as she picked her up from the salon. "Now we can go and get your tail put back on."

"Already? So soon?" Julie asked, surprised and disappointed. She'd been hoping to have at least a day to get used to her new position.

"Julie, you're on the payroll now, so to speak. You need to get to work."

"Oh, alright. But can you help me unpack and get things set up when we're done. I won't have anyone to wait on me anymore."

"I will. I understand. You won't have your husband to take care of you, like you're used to. I think we'll have to arrange for some more help for you in that respect. Remember this is new to us too, and I'm sure we haven't thought about all of the complications."

That made Julie feel a little better, so when they arrived at the clinic, she accepted her tail like it was an old friend, and did her best to be gracious and friendly with everyone she met.

While she was there, they showed her how to remove the tail herself, so on her days off, she could handle the task, without help in her room.

She was surprised by how smoothly her body and mind transitioned back into mermaid mode. She was immediately comfortable and even happy returning to that existence.

"From now on you're Ariel. I'm even going to try and remember, and not call you Julie, any more. We all have to get used to that name. Okay?"

"I guess. Ariel it is."

The two of them worked together to shift her out of the clinic, into the cart, and then back to her new home.

By then it was getting late, and Julie, now Ariel, was hungry and tired.

Giselle helped her get into her pool, and again it felt right to the mermaid.

"Okay your clock has started. You need to go back to being a good little mermaid." Giselle said. Then she laughed. "Actually, you'll need to be better than you were before. Follow the rules!"

"Yes boss." Julie said, laughing.

Giselle proceeded to help her lay out her toiletries, and other important things, next to her little pool, so that everything she'd need was in reach.

"Here is a wireless remote for the suite's door. You can keep it next to your pool and use it for visitors, or room service. Although on your working days, they tell me that they'd prefer you eat at one of the restaurants, so you can interact with the guests." Giselle explained.

She then ran over to one of the restaurants and brought back meals for the two of them.

They sat and chatted while they ate.

"Your tail is set to release you every Wednesday morning. You can remove it yourself. Then you can enjoy your days off, on two legs. Relax, stretch, sun, hit the beach, whatever. One of the costumers will swing by on Friday morning to put it back on, and you'll resume your mermaid duties."

"I understand. Sounds good." Julie acknowledged.

"Based on a suggestion from the medical staff, they've even arranged to send over a masseuse on Wednesdays to help you get your legs back working."

"That's nice. I was so very stiff and sore when we removed my tail the other day. Of course, that was after twelve days in the thing."

"I understand. And Ariel that brings up another point. Even though the resort isn't providing you with a salary, management is spending a lot on you. You know how much we charge for suites like the one you're living in for the year, not to mention the food and support, like the massages, you'll be provided. All of it is just to please our guests.

"Please keep that in mind."

Julie thought, this is serious business. "Okay," she said hesitantly. She hadn't really understood that aspect of the deal. She should have, but she was just too excited about the prospect of life as a mermaid.

"And one other thing," Giselle said, looking at her, firmly. "This is an experiment for the resort. You'll be the first mermaid on staff, and management is very concerned over their return on investment. So, expect there to be a lot of management oversight."

Feeling uneasy, Julie nodded, "I understand."

"Good. You'll be having lunch with Mister Carreno, the Executive Manager today over at Restaurant eleven. You remember where that is, right?"

"Yes."

"Good, I expect he'll be telling you all of this, and more. Now I have to be going. I'll see you tomorrow, for certain. If you need anything, you can always call me." She said as she got up and headed out.

"Giselle," Julie called as she reached the door. "Thank you. For everything. You've been a huge help, and a good friend."

"You're quite welcome, Ariel. I hope this works out for all of us." And she reached for the door.

And right then they had an 'oh shit!' moment, and it probably wouldn't be their last. They suddenly realized that there were no light switches within range of the mermaid pool. Ariel had no way to turn on and off the lights in her room.

They rejected the idea of putting a table lamp on the floor next to the pool -- shocking hazard!

Eventually, as a very temporary solution, Giselle retrieved a broomstick from a maintenance closet, and Ariel could use it, with difficulty, from the pool to tap the closest light switch, on and off.

"Ill talk to the maintenance manager first thing tomorrow. I imagine he can hook up some remote-control light fixture. I've seen them around here before."

"Thanks, I do need something. Good night, my friend."

Julie went to sleep that night exhausted and nervous about the day, and the days to come.

In the morning, she slithered out her patio door, and into the big pool, to start mingling with the guests and get some breakfast.

The people she met were all friendly and fascinated, when she greeted them and asked them how they were doing. They were astounded that she actually lived as a mermaid, full time.

At the restaurant closest to her room, she made a point of introducing herself to everyone on staff, she was sure that she'd be a regular at that locale and she wanted to get to know everyone she'd be dependent on. They too were all friendly and seemed pleased to meet her.

She loitered at her table for quite a while after she'd eaten, spending more time with the guests. And then she took off swimming and visiting around the big pool.

At noon she was at restaurant eleven when Mister Carreno walked up. They got to know each other while they ate, and then he got down to business.

"Your immediate supervisor will be Ms. Vera, Nancy. I understand she'll be meeting with you later. She'll handle your schedules and any questions or issues. We've also asked Giselle and another hostess, Carmen, to help you on any day-to-day matters."

"I must impress upon you, Ariel, that you are here to welcome, entertain and assist our guests in any way you can to make their stays more enjoyable. I understand from my staff and several important guests that you are personable, and friendly. They all believe that you will be an asset to our island. Please keep that in mind."

"And one more thing. You must be, in all respects the mermaid that you have demonstrated yourself to be. I know that for these past two weeks it's all just been fun and games. But now you have to maintain your character, and be our version of Ariel, full time."

"I understand."

"I sincerely hope you do." He said, gravely.

He looked at her thoughtfully for a moment before continuing. "Ariel, I do hope this works out happily for all concerned. You get to live your dream life as a mermaid, our guests are enthralled and entertained by your presence, and we see a reasonable return on our investment. If not, it could be a miserable year for you and for me."

Julie took a deep breath. "I certainly hope so too. I'll do my part. If I can't live up to your expectations, just tell me and I'll quit. You can send me packing."

The man shook his head, sadly.

"Ariel, that is not really an option. We won't throw you back into the ocean, so to speak." And he paused to chuckle at his little joke.

But then his expression became stern. "Your contract is for a year, and you'll work for us for that period. This is a business, and I am a businessman. I must see positive results from you, just like I demand it from all aspects of the resort."

Julie stayed quiet, frightened and stunned by the man's threatening description of her commitment.

As suddenly as his demeanor had changed before, it changed again and he became the amenable host, as he stood to leave. "Welcome aboard pretty mermaid Ariel. It was nice meeting you. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around." He said convivially. But then his expression again became more serious. "Ariel, I'm spending a lot on you, please don't let us down."

As soon as he disappeared, Julie slipped off of the bench, abandoning her meal, and swam, slowly, crying and in shock back toward her room.

What the hell did I get myself into? She thought.

Planning on taking a short break, she headed back to her suite. After she had pulled herself laboriously out of the big pool and slithered across the patio and into her room's mermaid pool, she was feeling a little bit better.

He's just a business man, with a lot of concerns. It wouldn't be as difficult a life as he made it out to be. She wasn't a slave; she was a mermaid. And she wouldn't fail. She had never failed in any of her jobs, before. She wouldn't let him down.

She was resting, when her phone rang.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Oh, hi. Ariel? This is Nancy Vera. I wasn't sure if I would be able to catch you. I was just about to go out and wander the pathways to look for you, but I thought I'd give this a try."

"I'm just taking a little break. I was going to head out soon."

"Why don't you hang there for a few more minutes and I'll walk over, we can talk there before you get back into the water."

"Okay."

Just a few minutes later the woman who would be her supervisor nocked and entered her suite. She was nicely dressed, and seemed friendly and efficient. Like you'd expect of a woman in charge of dozens of staff workers.

Julie greeted her, from her position in her pool, and she stepped over and pulled up a chair, near the edge.

The two of them spent the next few minutes exchanging friendly information on their backgrounds and Nancy explained her duties and responsibilities there at the resort.

That done Ms. Vera, got down to business.

"So, lets talk about what I see your role as, and what I expect. And, by the way, just call me Nancy. And, of course, I'll call you Ariel. That's what we're all supposed to call you."

Julie nodded. Apparently, management had even dictated that little detail.

"I've established a schedule and coordinated with the other resorts. You'll spend Friday and Saturdays with us, most of our guests arrive on those days and it will be nice to have you in the pool to greet them, and impress them."

"You will spend Sunday and Monday at the fet resort. The guests there will appreciate you, I'm sure. And On Tuesday you'll be at our other resort, our competitor location."

"Okay, a shuttle will haul me around?" Ariel asked, indicating that she understood the plan for her.

"Yes, of course," Nancy said with a chuckle. "Unfortunately, you can't swim over."

Julie laughed. But she was thinking about how she'd be manhandled in and out of the van. She was used to Robert handling that aspect, not some staff driver. It could get weird...

Nancy glanced at her notes, and then resumed. "We do expect you to be in the big pool, somewhere from 0800 to at least 2100 each day you're on duty."

"Those are awfully long days." Julie exclaimed. "Thirteen hours?"

"Yes, no eight-hour days for workers on the island. Too much to do. Most of the staff, housekeeping, food and beverage and concierges work ten-hour days, and at the fet resort, the special services staff often works all night."

"But that's slave labor." Julie said, quietly. She didn't want to be a complainer, but still...

"Oh, nonsense. It may not be what you're used to back in the states, but here, it's the norm." she said forcefully.

But then she softened, "Ariel, you have to understand, the resort is spending a fortune to employ you. And we're well aware that you love being a mermaid, and that you have nothing else to do here. Your job does not involve all that much labor. It should be fun for you, just like for our guests. And within those hours, you'll also be enjoying your meals. So please accept that as your basic work day.

"Those hours do encompass the times when our guests will out and about, from breakfast through dinner. You have to eat, too, so you'll be out then in any case."

Then Nancy sighed. "I understand it's a long time. Tell you what. Take a couple of hours off each afternoon, back here to rest and nap. How's that sound? Better?"

Julie nodded, still unhappy, but it was batter. "Yes, that will make it easier."

"Good, but no more than two hours."

"I understand. And I understand the need to be out in the pool when the guests are there."

"Excellent. And one more thing." Nany said, and Julie cringed.

"I do think that while your husband is down here, we can adjust your schedule so you can spend more time with him." The woman added with a friendly smile.

"That will be nice, thanks." She mumbled. She understood the point, the resort was also spending money for that perk, for her.

The two of them sat quietly for a moment, Julie still trying to come to terms with her new life commitment, and Nancy rechecking her notes.

"Now as to your in-water rules. They will be the same as you've been used to, over the past couple of weeks. A maximum of four one-hour sessions out of the water. Violate the mermaid rule and you will be penalized six hours out of your days off."

Nancy paused expecting another protest, but Julie was too stunned to say anything, yet.

"Your display -- she pointed up to the one on the wall, "will tell you where you stand."

"But I need those days off for my health." Julie complained. "I thought the medical staff said it was necessary for long-term wear of the tail."

"Well, the doctor suggested two days per week, two days per month were mandatory, according to him. If you're so naughty that you burn up all of your days off, we'll grant you two days per month. But I certainly hope you're better than that."

Again, Julie was stunned. "I didn't expect that."

"Well, when an employee breaks our hospitality rules, for example, or shows up late for work, we dock their pay. But you're not receiving a salary, so we have to enforce your employment rules in some other fashion. And after your time in the mermaid package, you're used to the extended time punishment. Aren't you? If I remember correctly, you accumulated a couple of days' worth of punishments. Didn't you?"

"Yes." Julie sighed, sadly

"Well, there you have it."

Julie sighed, and nodded. "I have do have a question about that. Why do I have mermaid rules, if I'm a staff member, and I do my job?"

"Ah, good question. There was actually quite a bit of debate over that topic, when we put your job description together. There are two reasons, actually. The first one is that we want you to live the same life as guests in the mermaid package; so, you can empathize with, and encourage them. And secondarily, we want to encourage the mermaid mindset in you. It will be better for you to think and act like the mermaid you are. Not just a costumed character working a nine-to-five."

Julie thought for a moment. It sounded like faulty logic to her, but there was no sense arguing the point.

She was starting to see the light. She understood that there were business reasons behind every aspect of her new employment scheme, but it didn't make it any easier. Naively, she had pictured herself floating around, talking to guests, and pretending to be Ariel, day-in and day-out. Living a happy mermaid life.

Now she realized that to the resort, she was just another staff member, and a very special case at that.

Nancy spent a few more minutes covering comparatively minor details, before she apparently decided that she had spent enough time with her newest employee. She was up and reaching for the door when there was a knock from the outside.

When she opened it, Giselle was standing there, with another girl, hovering behind her.

"Oh, hi Giselle, Carmen. Perfect timing. We just finished. I'll let you help get Julie better settled. And back into the water, too."

Then she turned back to Julie. "Call me if you have any questions or concerns. I think we covered all of the important aspects. And remember we expect to hear great things about you from our guests. Do your best, my mermaid."