Perfect Pairing

Story Info
A romantic (non-erotic) chance meeting.
1.5k words
4.36
2.6k
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The leaves, in shades of red, orange, and gold, whipped along the sides of the car as I made my way up the 179 toward Sedona. November was the perfect time for a vacation getaway to clear my head and enjoy some Arizona wineries and restaurants. It had been far too long since I had taken time for myself, time to unwind and enjoy life.

My flight from Chicago arrived in Phoenix around noon that day, where I picked up my rental car and headed north. After nearly a two-hour drive, I made a quick stop at the vacation home rental to drop off my luggage and make a pit stop before heading into town. The clear blue sky was the perfect backdrop to the red rocks and fall leaves.

It was nearly three as I pulled into town, so I was quite hungry, not having eaten yet. The change in altitude has a nasty habit of upsetting my stomach, so I never attempt to eat anything more than the free peanuts or pretzels on the flight. As I made my way through town, several cute little shops and restaurants lined the two-lane road. In dire need of some food and a glass of wine, I pulled off at a rustic Italian bistro and tasting room, La Cucina di Diego.

Fashioned after a Tuscan-style home, there was only enough room for about eight four-person tables inside. The walls had been decorated with beautiful oil paintings of the old country and family photos from multiple generations, some in worn black and white. I hoped that this was a family-owned restaurant, and so far, it appeared that I would not be disappointed.

Luckily, I had missed the lunch rush, so getting a table was no problem. The hostess was friendly and sat me at a small table near a window. So far, so good. I looked the menu over and had just decided on a glass of 2019 Bayshan from Arizona Stronghold when he appeared out of nowhere.

"Welcome in." There was something rugged yet soothing in his voice and a hint of an old-world Italian accent. "Can I get you a glass of wine?"

"Hello." Looking up from my menu, I discovered he was just as rugged and sexy as his voice. Dark flowing hair, those brown puppy dog eyes, and his chiseled jawline left me struggling to remember my name, let alone what wine I wanted to order. "I...uh... sure. I'll have a glass of the Bayshan."

"Excellent choice. Let me bring that right out for you." There was something about him that immediately set me at ease. The warmth and sincerity of his smile were reminiscent of a family friend welcoming me home after years spent away. Of course, it didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes.

I watched from my table as he made his way behind the bar. He cleaned my glass before holding it up to the light by the stem to ensure it was free of dust and smudges. Perhaps it was luck, or perhaps he was giving me special treatment, but he opened a fresh bottle before pouring my glass and returning to my table.

"Here we are." He set the glass gingerly on the table, still holding it by the stem so as not to leave his paw prints on the glass. "And will you be having any food with us today?"

"Hmm... This is my first time here. What would you recommend?" I smiled and bit my lip playfully as I looked up from my menu. A little trick I learned from Cosmo.

"That is a difficult question. But, I promise you, there is no wrong choice." He took my menu out of my hands. "Is there anything you don't prefer?"

"I'm not particularly a fan of anchovies, but Caesar dressing is okay." I'm quite adventurous when it comes to food, but smelly pickled fish is where I draw the line. Truth be told, I would have gladly eaten anything he put in front of me.

"Don't worry then; I will take good care of you." He was willing to take charge, adding to my undeniable attraction.

After a few moments in the kitchen, he emerged with a cup of chicken gnocchi soup. He sat the cup and saucer in front of me and motioned for me to try it while he stood table-side. I unfurled my napkin and placed it neatly in my lap. Using the soup spoon provided, I gave a gentle stir to release some of the steam. The heavenly aroma wafted up from the table. I could feel my mouth immediately start to water.

"Please, try a bite. Let me know how I did." He already knew the answer. There was nothing left for him to do but revel in the culinary orgasm that he had laid before me.

Carefully, I gathered the full mix of ingredients into a single spoonful. We locked eyes as I brought the spoon into position and blew gently so as not to burn my tongue. My eyes shut as I savored that first bite. In all fairness, I was famished, but it was unlike anything I had tasted before: such simple ingredients, such depth of flavor.

"Oh my god... if that's the soup, I can't wait to try the main course. That's unbelievable!"

A big smile spread across his face. "I am so glad you like it. I'll let you enjoy it while I prepare your main dish."

"Are you waiting tables and cooking?" It seemed like a small operation, but I thought I could hear at least a couple of cooks in the back.

"I usually leave the cooking to the chef, but since it is your first time here, I want to ensure that your meal is perfect." I sensed this was more than striving for customer satisfaction, but I was more than okay with that because I really needed to be satisfied.

"I'm Lori. I don't believe I got your name earlier." I pegged him for a traditional Italian name like Antonio or perhaps Sergio.

"You saw it when you came in. I am Diego, and this is my cucina." He motioned toward the kitchen.

"La Cucina di Diego... So you're the owner?" I couldn't help but laugh at my own awkwardness.

"You seem surprised." He had every right to be offended, but his tone remained light and playful. I thought I even sensed a flirtatious undertone, and I liked it.

"I'm sorry. It's just that you're so young and handsome, and..."

"Restaurant owners aren't allowed to be young and handsome?" He was enjoying our little back and forth. "A beautiful woman comes into my restaurant and sits alone; I don't automatically assume she is single."

"But I am single, Diego." His eyebrow raised slightly as he processed my admission. "And just because some sexy restaurant owner with great hair and charm brings me the most amazing chicken gnocchi...what? Am I just supposed to go out on a date with him?"

"You make a very good point," he nodded in agreement. "I am very sorry to have been so presumptuous. I will bring your main dish. If you hate it, then you can leave and bad mouth my cooking to everyone you know."

"And if I love it?" The sexual tension between us was building by the second.

"Well... If you love it, then I would love to take you on that date." Of course, by that point, had he tried to show me his supply closet, I would have gladly gone along, but I was more than willing to settle for a date.

I had been single for nearly a year, very single. My last relationship ended because my boyfriend of seven years couldn't commit. Marriage was never the end-all for me, but I finally realized that he'd been living with one foot out the door for quite some time. I decided that I would rather live alone than be in a noncommittal relationship.

"I'm not an easy woman to please, Diego. Think long and hard about your choice. You get one shot to impress me." The playful banter was a total turn-on and he was happy to play along.

"Very well. I think I have just the thing for a woman of your discerning taste." He returned to the kitchen once again to prepare for me what would prove to be nothing short of a culinary revelation.

I tried to hide my excitement as he returned. He placed the dish on the table and sat directly across from me. Folding his hands and feigning prayer for his desired outcome, Diego waited for my review of his signature dish, Braised Beef and Pappardelle. He had put his heart and soul into preparing that dish, and I would be the one person lucky enough to taste it. The fate of his proposal hung in the balance.

The stars were like glittering diamonds scattered across the night sky as we sat silently on the hood of my rental car. Without interference from the big city lights, the view was nothing short of breathtaking. The night air was quite chilly, but we huddled closely for warmth. I could feel Diego's eyes on me, and I turned toward him in full anticipation of what came next. The wine, the delicious meal, and our first date all led to that kiss, and I knew the instant that his lips touched mine that we were the perfect pairing.