Pieces

Story Info
Sometimes you can't put the pieces back together.
4.8k words
4.22
55.3k
74
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dare2Bro
Dare2Bro
289 Followers

Still unedited works, so apologies for any and all errors.

Ann and her sister Joan were driving back from their parents' house. John, Ann's husband, usually drove but he had been called into work. Ann smiled at Joan and said, "We should have driven the Miata."

Joan shook her head and said, "And where would we have put all our stuff?"

Ann loved her Miata convertible. She had named the car Mary and it had been her constant companion for 12 years. The car had been a combination 18th birthday and High School graduation present from her parents. Ann looked at Joan and said, "John and I always got everything to fit."

At the family gathering everyone had asked about John. Ann's Dad was especially disappointed that John had not been able to come. Ann and Joan were two of five daughters, there were no sons for her Dad. And while no one knew who was the favorite daughter. There was no doubt who was his favorite son-in-law. John had called and apologized, promising to visit soon.

John was tall, 6'2", dark, well he did tan nicely, and handsome. He was also smart, loving and funny. He worked at the Fredericksburg, VA distribution center for a multinational company. They have been together since the 9th grade. John and Ann went to colleges that were 200 miles apart but still stayed together. John always joked they went to separate colleges together.

Ann looked out the passenger window. She remembered all the kids asking for Uncle John. John loved kids and they loved him. He became their favorite playmate at every family gathering.

Joan looked at her sister. She knew something was bothering her. Finally she said, "OK, out with it. What is going on with you?

Ann continued to look out the window. Joan left her alone for a few moments. She told Ann, "You'll feel better sharing whatever is bothering you with someone. You know you can tell me."

Ann dropped her head down and said, "I'm having an affair."

Joan was shocked into silence. When she recovered she asked, "You're cheating on John? Oh God Ann why?

Ann looked up with tears in her eyes and said, "I don't know why?"

Joan reached out to hold her sister's hand. "Tell me everything," she told Ann.

Anne said, "It started six months ago right after the family reunion. He is David Stevens from my office. He had been flirting with me for a couple of years and one day I just said yes."

Joan said, "Is this the same David Stevens I met at one of your cookouts last year? The same David Stevens you warned me to stay away from? The man you called a skirt chasing asshole?"

"Yes," Ann said. "I thought he would be safe. No way could I fall in love with someone like him."

Joan asked, "Have you fallen in love with him?"

Ann shook her head and said, "No, I used to think he was an asshole, now I know he is. I ended it with him Friday at lunch."

Joan looked at her sister, "was this lunch in a hotel room?"

Ann looked at Joan in anger and said, "NO, no it was in a restaurant."

Joan said, "You had sex with him but didn't like him? That makes no sense Ann. I have to ask again why?"

Ann replied, "I think I freaked out when I saw John playing with the kids six months ago. We have been working towards being able to have children of our own. The house is almost paid off. Our cars are paid off. We have no credit card debt. Joan, we have almost 20,000 dollars in a college fund for children that haven't even been born. We had planned to start when we turned thirty. John is thirty now, I'll be thirty in 2 months.

Joan asked, "You don't want children?"

Ann answered, "I always thought I did. But now I'm scared. I scared of becoming a mother. I'm scared of losing us, me and John. I'm scared of losing me, I love my job. I was supposed to go off the pill six months ago."

"Ann does John know all this?" Joan asked. Ann sadly shook her head. Joan asked another question, "You didn't go off the pill?"

Ann quietly said, "At first I didn't want to stop taking them. After I started with David I had to stay on them. I couldn't take the chance of getting pregnant by David."

Joan was angry, "You fucked him without protection! You know his history. How could you do this unprotected?

A crying Ann said, "He doesn't like rubbers. I don't either."

Joan told her sister, "John thinks you have been off the pill for six months. You need to stop this insanity. You need to tell John everything and beg for his forgiveness. He loves you Ann. He can forgive you but only if you are honest with him. You know John, this secret will kill your relationship."

Ann replied, "No Joan, I could never tell him. Do you remember Bob and Carol Wilson?" Joan nodded.

Ann continued," Bob had an affair with someone from work. Carol found out and it has been hell for them ever since. John and I have talked about Bob's infidelity several times. He cannot see how anyone in love could cheat. I've been trying to defend Bob. I have told John that if they truly loved each other they could save their marriage. I told him they could put the pieces back together. This affair might even make their marriage stronger. But Joan I can tell he doesn't see it that way."

Joan had listened to her sister. She realized Ann had just kept digging a deeper hole for herself.

She said to Ann, "Tell me about David Asshole Stevens. I cannot believe sex with him can be but so good."

Ann said, "Sex with David is OK. He is aggressive in bed. With David it's all about quickies but then again we never have much time. John is much better, it's always been wonderful. We would take all day on the weekend to make love. He always takes care of my needs, be it by cock, hands, or tongue. He has a wonderful tongue."

Thinking out loud Ann said, "I've been trying to make David more like John. Why would I do that when I already have John? Unfortunately, John had been becoming more like David in bed. We haven't had an all-day session in a couple of months."

Joan was concerned at this news. She asked, "Ann when did your sex life with John start changing? Was it about the same time you and John started discussing the Wilsons?"

Ann said, "I think so."

Joan replied, "The John I know doesn't like gossip. It sounds to me like John has been trying to get you to stop your affair for three months. And for the past three months you have been defending your affair."

The realization hit Ann, "Oh God, oh God no. He knows. John knows about David."

Ann picked up her cell. She needed to talk to John. She needed to hear his voice. The call went straight to voice mail.

Joan asked, "How did he sound when you talked to him last night?"

Ann realized John hadn't called last night. They always talked before going to bed. Even when they were thousands of miles apart they talked. Ann told Joan, "He didn't call me last night."

Joan said, "Tell me about your last conversion. Did he seem OK?"

Ann answered, "He seemed Ok. We talked about Bob and Carol again. Joan, he said it was too late for them. He said if Bob had confessed maybe there would have been a chance."

Ann continued, "We talked about Mary, my car. He asked me if I would repair her if the windshield cracked. I told him of course I would. Then he asked me if I would repair her if I had a fender bender? I told him yes. Then he asked me if I would repair her if she had been totaled in an accident? I told him no. I remember telling him the car would never be right again. It might look new but would never ride the same again. He told me Bob had totaled their marriage."

Ann cried out, "How could I not have understood what he was telling me?"

Joan was crying now too. She told Ann, "Pull yourself together. We don't know for sure he knows. But we do know you have to talk to him." Joan pushed down a little harder on the gas pedal.

They pulled into the driveway of Ann's house. The front porch light was on but John's SUV wasn't there. Ann cried, "He's not here."

Joan replied, "He could have parked in the garage. Open the garage door."

Ann knew his car wouldn't be in the garage. Their two car garage was reserved for her Miata and his 1988 BMW 325C convertible. She used her phone to open the garage door.

The two women looked at the almost empty garage. John's convertible was not in the garage. Ann's Miata was gone but there was something in its place. A four foot by four foot block of twisted red metal sat where the Miata had been parked. On top of the block was a large manila envelope. Ann knew the contents, she had prepared many of these notices at her job. On top of the envelope was a metal emblem that read" Mary". This emblem had been on the back of her car when they had replaced the Mazda emblem with the Mary emblem several years ago. Hung over the emblem's screws was John's wedding ring. Next to the emblem were her birth control pills.

Ann picked up the final item. It was a handwritten note to her. She read the brief note:

Dear Ann,

I am sorry to have not been enough for you. I hope you and David are happy together. I just wish you would have respected me enough to tell me.

Mary, is the block of metal you see in the garage. Let me know if you can put the pieces back together again.

I have always loved you Ann. And I will always love you.

I hope you find the happiness you seek in your life.

John

P.S. You gave me a STD. Please have yourself tested. Our doctor says it can be pretty nasty if left untreated. You need to see him on Monday. He says you need to tell the health department about your lovers.

Ann handed Joan the note and sat on the floor. She couldn't cry, she couldn't make a noise, she couldn't move. Joan sat beside her and held her close.

Ann's phone rang. She answered it without looking at the ID of the caller. "John?" she cried. "No, this is your Mother," came the voice from the phone.

Her Mother continued, "John just left here. He brought your Dad a part for the car and said he has come to say goodbye. He wouldn't tell us what had happened. He said you need to tell us. Why is he leaving you Ann?"

Ann told her Mother, "I had an affair. I slept with another man."

Ann's Mother was quiet for a few moments. Then she said, "I cannot believe you would do something like this. Is Joan with you?"

Ann said, "Yes, Joan is here." Her mother then said, "I need to go. Your Father needs me. Ann he is crying. I've been married to him for forty years and this is only the second time I have seen him cry."

Joan helped Ann to bed. Ann got up during the night and came downstairs to sleep on the sofa. She couldn't sleep in their bed without him. The two of them spent a restless night.

The next morning Ann was up and ready to face the day. She showered and woke up Joan. Ann said, "I have a busy day today, will you help me?" Ann knew the answer.

She thought of John. He had no real family to lean on. His parents had died in a car accident 20 years ago. He had one brother but he was in the Army and they only saw each other every couple of years. It broke her heart that he was facing this alone.

The sisters went straight to the doctor's office. He asked the necessary questions as professionally as possible. Ann felt guilt in every answer she gave. Her doctor called in several prescriptions to treat her STD, actually STDs.

Next they went to Ann's work. She talked to James Johnson. He was the partner she worked with closest. She told him the entire story. He told her to take the week off. The firm would represent her in the divorce. He promised to address the other problem while she was gone.

Leaving Johnson's office she went down the hall to where she saw David Stevens talking with a couple of the paralegals. As he turned to her, Ann kneed him in the groin. She picked up a copy of Black's Law Dictionary and hit him with an uppercut. David Stevens flew over the desk landing with a crash. Ann told him, "Expect a call from the health department."

Ann turned and saw Mr. Johnson. She told him, "I'm sorry for the mess. Will you represent me if I get arrested?

Johnson smiled and nodded, then he said, "There will be no police report."

Next they went to John's workplace. Ann knew John had a car trailer and had taken everything of his with him. He must be moving out of the area. She had to find him.

She went to John's boss' office. Ann had met Fred Jennings at several company functions, he was a good boss and a good man. His secretary was Doris Miller, the mother hen of the company. Doris saw Ann and said, "Hello Ann, Fred has been expecting you. Please have a seat and he will be right with you." Ann saw the sadness in her eyes.

Ann and Joan entered Fred Jennings office and sat in the chairs he offered.

Ann aggressively said, "I need to know where John is. Does he still work here?"

Fred quietly answered, "Ann you have no enemies here. I have always liked you and I thought the world of John. He said you might come here. He authorized me to answer all your questions."

Fred continued, "John has taken a transfer to Charleston SC. He is the new Southeastern regional manager. It is a big promotion for him. We first talked with him about this move six months ago but John turned it down. He said you two were going to start a family and he wanted you to be near your family. He also knew the new position would involve a lot more hours. Then about two months ago he asked me if the position was still open. He said the salary increase would allow you to quit your job. He also thought the two of you might want a change in scenery."

Fred stopped and looked at Ann. He said, "John is a great worker, but he is an awful liar. He told me what was really going on with you two. I hoped the two of you would be moving and I'm so sorry it didn't work that way. John is not scheduled to report to his new office until next Monday. I can give you the address and phone number of our branch there but I don't know where he is staying in Charleston."

Ann stood and reached out for Fred's hand. She said, "Thank you Mr. Jennings."

Fred answered, "Good luck Ann, we all wish you nothing but the best in the future."

The sisters went to a small diner down the street from her office to eat lunch. As they ate Ann felt the eyes of some members of the legal community on her. She knew there would be plenty of rumors and gossip. She didn't care.

Ann told her sister, "He give me every chance didn't he? He almost pleaded with me. Why didn't he just come out and say it? Why didn't he just ask me to stop?"

Joan looked at her sister, "Did you ever give him any sign that you would stop?"

They ate and went back to the law office. Debra Mayton, the best divorce lawyer in the firm, had been assigned to her case.

Debra read the divorce statement and the proposed property settlement. She looked at Ann and said, "Ann this property settlement is extremely favorable to you. He is leaving you the house, which appears to be almost paid off. In addition, he had taken only $25,000 from your joint investment and bank accounts. You will keep your 401K. The settlement is better than I think we could ever hope."

Debra paused to see Ann's reaction. Debra continued "your husband is asking for the following: he will take the two vehicles he drives, a 1988 BMW 325ic and a 2018 Toyota RAV4. He will retain his 401K plan, it appears to be just a little larger than yours. He also has taken $5,000 from your main checking account and all of an investment account he has named "the kids fund." This fund has $20,000 in it. The value of your other investment accounts are larger. The final item is a request for you to take back your maiden name."

Joan held Ann as she sobbed. Debra Mayton felt a tear coming down her face. She had always liked Ann. She had met Ann's husband and they seemed so perfect together. Debra had seen so many failed marriages in the past years. She wondered how anyone could make marriage work if these two people had failed. She knew it was unprofessional but she came around her desk and held Ann. The three women cried for love lost.

There was nothing to fight about in the divorce. Debra brought up the destruction of Ann's car but John's lawyer pointed out the unequal division of assets. Mayton asked for counselling but that request was denied. John worked out of the area and these sessions would not be feasible.

Forty five days later Ann found herself in a conference room for the finalization of her divorce settlement. This was the first time she had seen John since he had left her. He looked tried, good but tried. Ann had her parents and Joan with her. Her parents had insisted on being there, but Ann wasn't sure if they were there for her or John.

Ann and John greeted each other, polite and courteous. Ann asked, "John, can we talk alone for a minute?"

John nodded and turned to the lawyers, "can we have a few minutes in one of the conference rooms?" Debra led the couple down the hall to an empty room.

Ann started, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for hurting you. I have been trying to figure out why I cheated on you. The only answer I have is that I got scared. I was scared of the changes coming in our lives."

John shook his head and said, "And I was excited about the changes coming in our lives. I thought we had the same dreams for our future. Do you remember what we promised each other before we got married?"

Ann slowly nodded and answered, "We promised to always talk to each other. We promised to never let anything come between us. We promised to always tell each other the truth."

Anne sadly said," I was afraid kids would hurt us, you and me as a couple. I was scared of ruining our relationship."

John replied sharply, "you thought kids might hurt our relationship? Did you cheat on me with another man to fix our relationship?"

John calmed down and said, "If you had talked to me about your fears we could have faced them together. The truth is you didn't want to face the changes. You did the one thing that you knew would end our marriage."

Ann said, "You need to know that David was never a threat to our marriage."

John looked at Ann and replied, "I know he wasn't the threat, you were the threat to our marriage. I am sorry I couldn't save us from you." She knew he was telling the truth.

There was nothing more to be said. Ann walked to John and hugged him. John returned the hug and the two former lovers clung to each other for several minutes. They left the room and returned to their lawyers and family.

The papers were signed quickly. As they prepared to leave John turned to Ann and gave her a key and a sheet of paper. He told her, "I have some of your possessions in a storage locker. You need to go today or tomorrow before the lease runs out."

John hugged Ann's Mom and shook her Father's hand. He promised to come visit as they had asked. He hugged Joan and thanked her for being there for Ann. John turned and walked out of Ann's life.

Ann wanted to just go home, but her Dad insisted they drive to the storage unit. Her Dad opened the door and the four of them stared at the contents. There was Mary parked in all her glory. The Miata appeared to be freshly waxed. Ann checked the rear of the car for the Mary emblem. It was there. Ann's personalized plates, MIANNTA , were on the car.

Ann read the note she found on the windshield;

Ann,

This is the real Mary. The car you found in the garage was an old wreck I found in a junkyard. I wanted you to feel my pain but I couldn't take Mary from you. Remember we had two emblems made.

I hope you two have many more happy days together.

Dare2Bro
Dare2Bro
289 Followers
12