Pieces

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Love,

John

P.S. Mary needs to be insured before you drive her.

Ann's Dad spoke, "John called me two days ago and told me about your car. He wanted to make sure you got her home safe."

Ann drove the Miata home, she would take her chances on the two mile drive. She pulled Mary Miata into her regular spot and turned off the ignition. Her family found her crying. They waited for her in the living room, they knew she needed to cry.

The funny thing about life is you often survive the event you think you can never survive. Ann continued her life and threw herself into her work. A couple of years after the divorce she applied to and was accepted to Georgetown Law School.

She rarely drove her prized Mary. The joy she once felt was gone. She preferred to drive the Toyota Corolla she had purchased after John had left.

She talked with her parents often. When asked, they would tell her if they had been in contact with John. Ann asked if he ever asked about her, and the answer was usually no.

As the family reunion was approaching Ann spoke with her parents again. Her Dad asked, "Would it be Ok for me to invite John to the gathering?"

She paused and answered, "Dad it's been almost five years. I know how close you two were. I'm fine with you inviting him.

Her Dad said, "Even if he brings someone?"

Ann closed her eyes and said, "Yes Dad."

At the reunion Ann watched John walk into the yard. The past five years had been very kind to him. He looked happy. John was accompanied by a pretty woman and two children. The children appeared to be between 8 and 12 years old. Ann studied the woman. She was pretty, tall and slender with long black hair. Her breasts were not very large but she did have shapely legs. The woman had a good figure but appeared to have had trouble losing her baby belly.

The two children quickly disappeared into the mob of children playing. Ann thought this was a good time to introduce herself. As she approached the couple John turned to her. He said, "It's good to see you again Ann. I would like to introduce you to my wife Maria."

The pretty woman reached out her hand. "It's good to meet you Ann," she said.

Ann replied, "It is nice to meet you Maria, and John you are looking good. Who are the two little ones who came with you?"

Maria answered, "They are our children William, he is 9, and Serena, she is 11. They were so excited to come today, neither John nor I have much of a family. Thank you for letting us come."

John added, "I adopted them when we married last year. Their Father was killed in Afghanistan several years ago."

Ann smiled and touched John's arm, "I know you always wanted children. I'm happy for you, for both of you."

Maria asked John to go check on the kids and get her a plate of food. John looked at Ann, "Can I get you anything?" Ann shook her head and sat down next to Maria.

Maria said, "I'm sorry to send John off but I had always wanted to meet you. John has told me so much about you." Maria touched Ann's arm, "He has said good things Ann. He was so in love with you. I was so jealous of you for a long time."

"And now" Ann asked.

Maria smiled at Ann as she answered, "My jealousy turned to anger when he told me how you two ended. I was mad because you hurt him but then it turned to sadness when I realized the hole you had left in him. He is the most wonderful man I have ever met but I know he was once even more. I tried to pick up the pieces and put him back together."

Ann replied, "I am truly sorry. You cannot imagine how much I wish I could change what I did. But you seem to have done a great job with him."

Maria shook her head. "No Ann," she said. "I failed. I tried to help him but it wasn't me who saved John. Your father was a big help to him. He treated John like his own son. But the real credit goes to William and Serena. The more time he spent with them, the more he came alive. Children won't let you hide."

Maria moved Ann's hand to her stomach. "He will be a wonderful father to our next child," She added. Maria answered before Ann could ask, "I'm four months along."

Ann hugged Maria. She told her, "I am so happy you have saved him. I have not been able to forgive myself for what I did to him. The knowledge of what I did has haunted me."

Ann felt a weight being lifted off her shoulders. She has been in therapy for over four years but this single moment seemed to have been the cure she had been seeking.

Ann looked at Maria and added, "I have to tell you. You have not only put him back together, you have helped put me back together."

John returned shortly with two plates of food. Ann's Dad had followed John bringing drinks. Ann asked her Dad, "Can you sit with us for a minute?"

Ann's Dad replied, "Of course."

Ann said, "There was one item left unresolved in the divorce. I think we need to get it settled now." John and Ann's Dad looked confused. Maria seemed to have a half smile on her lips.

Ann continued, "John we are divorced. But I don't think we settled the matter of my family. I think we should have joint custody of them. You and now Maria and the kids are part of this family."

John and Ann's Dad laughed and stood up and hugged Ann. Maria was crying as she also hugged Ann. John said, "Thank you."

Ann replied, "Don't thank me, you don't know how much work they can be."

At that moment Ann thought to herself, well I might have lost a husband but I gained a brother. There was a huge difference in those types of love. Ann chuckled as she thought Dr. Williams was going to love talking about this next time she had a therapy session.

Three days later Ann thought back to meeting Maria and the kids as she drove to school. The wind blowing through her hair felt wonderful as she cruised down the highway. She had Mary's convertible top down and the radio turned up.

12