Pitch

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He heard footsteps, barking, the turning of the deadbolt lock and even more barking. A woman partially opened the door, peering out. Asa could see the dog jumping and barking in the background.

"Hello, Asa?" her voice virtually drowned out by the barking. He could see through the screen that Julia looked like she was in her 40's, medium height, grey flecked dishwater blonde hair put up in a haphazard bun, a Michigan State sweatshirt, faded jeans and sneakers. Even though she wasn't wearing any make-up, it was clear to Asa that she was a beauty when she was younger, and now was an attractive middle age woman.

Asa nodded instead of speaking. As she went to open the screen door, the dog jumped against it, causing it to smack Asa on the forehead. He reeled backward.

"Whoa," said Asa as he watched the dog rattle the screen door. He held up his hand and looked the dog in the eye. The jumping temporarily stopped, allowing Asa to open the screen door and close it quickly behind him. The dog started jumping on Asa's pants and nipping at his boots.

Asa squatted, allowing the puppy to lick his face. He then grabbed an expanse of loose skin at the scruff of his neck and held him at arm's length.

"Lab, that's for sure," said Asa firmly.

"You sure?"

Asa looked again at the shiny black coat and the classic blocky black lab head. "Yep."

"His rescue organization said he was a border collie. Any chance of that?" she asked hopefully, wishing again for a smaller dog.

"Well ma'am, a border collie may have walked past two Labradors that were mating, that's about as close as Pitch is to a border collie."

Julia dreaded the next question, but asked anyway. "So how big is Pitch going to get?"

Asa put down his duffel and pulled up Pitch on his hind legs, grabbing one meaty paw in the palm of his hand. He looked and gave an expression of surprise, because he was a bit surprised at the size of it, and because he wanted to have a bit of fun with Julia. Julia of course took the bait.

"What, what?" she asked with concern.

"Could be a hundred pounds," he pronounced, based on the size of Pitch's paws.

"A hundred pounds?" she said forlornly.

"Well, could be 110 pounds if you feed him too much," he said, teasing her.

As they were talking, Pitch started in on the coffee table, laying next to it and eyeing the wooden leg. Julia wasn't paying attention, but Asa was. He unzipped his duffel and pulled out what looked like a stuffed duck, but had heavy braided rope loops sticking out of both ends. He tossed it on the floor next to the puppy. Distracted from the coffee table leg, Pitch wrapped his mouth around the duck and started prancing around the room, waving it in his mouth.

"One of Boo's favorite toys. You have to distract a puppy so it doesn't chew everything in your house. Labs are notorious chewers." As the puppy ran by him, he grabbed one of the rope loops, stopping the dog in his tracks. He pulled against Asa, who pulled back to create tension. The puppy gripped the other rope loop in his sharp, pointy teeth, and started a tug of war. Asa pulled harder, until the puppy let go. He tossed the toy across the living room and Pitch bounded after it, bringing it back to Asa and presenting one of the rope loops to him to continue the game.

"Labs like to play, too. Pitch sure is built like a hunting dog, and acts like one too." He tugged the toy away and faked one direction and threw it in the other. The puppy ran, slid on the hardwood floor, and then reversed direction to retrieve the toy.

Asa took the toy out of his mouth and handed the slobber covered duck to Julia. Julia held the toy like a dead mouse. Asa laughed. "You're going to have to get used to dog slobber. Now throw the toy for him."

Pitch sat in front of Julia, his eyes trained on the toy. She gave it a weak toss, the duck travelling only a few feet. The black lab dutifully picked it up and returned it.

"He can do this all day. It's a good way to build a connection with him, and it'll tire him out." Asa went into his bag and pulled out two more well-loved toys. "Here's another toy you can give to him." He rummaged through the bag and found a nylon bone at the bottom. He handed it to Pitch, who immediately started gnawing on it.

"You want to give him plenty of toys he can chew. Better the bone than your furniture."

"Looks like you know all about my dog," she said with admiration.

Asa shrugged his shoulders. "Had labs my whole life. Know them and love them."

"I can see that. Is there any hope for me? I've never had a dog. I'm not sure I'll be able to survive another week." She rolled up the sleeve of her sweatshirt and showed Asa the scratches on her forearm.

"Of course there is," said Asa in a reassuring voice. "Labs are an easy dog to own. They love people and are very trainable. You'll figure it out."

"I haven't so far, but you seem to know what to do."

"You will in time. Dogs can sense your anxiety. When you get more confident, Pitch will be easier to train."

"What else should I work on?"

Asa went into his duffel and pulled out a leash that would loop around the dog's neck. "You should work on leash training Pitch. He needs to get used to having a leash on him. You can use it when you take him outside, and also, when you're ready, to take him out, like to a park."

Julia looked at Asa like a deer in the headlights.

"Can I show you?" he asked.

Julia nodded.

He used his hands to gently turn her body so she was facing Pitch, who was happily attacking the nylon bone. Gripping the leash in his right hand, he stood behind her and put his arms on either side of her. He took hold of her hands with his and helped her loop the leash around Pitch's neck. As he reached around her he could smell her scented soap and the perfume that she dabbed on right before he arrived. She could sense his warmth as he stood behind her.

"So it's like this ..." he said, pulling on the leash so the loop set snug around the lab's thick neck. His cheek was now next to hers and they both felt an intimacy that was a bit awkward. He put the other end of the leash in Julia's hand and took a step back, surprised that he felt something stir inside him.

Asa took Julia and Pitch into the back yard, and demonstrated how to walk Pitch, who after pulling against the leash (and being corrected) started to walk instead of pull. The late morning sun, and the rising humidity, had both of them sweating after walking the puppy around the fenced yard. After a few tries, Julia was able to walk Pitch, though the puppy would soon revert to pulling.

"This is good ... real good for the first time," said Asa, never one to shade the truth.

"Really?" Julia said skeptically.

"Yes ... I mean it. Pitch really took well to the leash. Sometimes labs are pullers, and it's difficult to break them of that habit. You did great."

Julia beamed. "Well, that calls for a drink. I've got some fresh squeezed lemonade in the fridge."

Asa mopped the sweat of his brow with the back of his hand. "Lemonade sounds good. How about we leave Pitch in the backyard?"

"That's the best suggestion I've heard today." Julia opened the screen door to the back of the kitchen and waved Asa in. He pulled up a chair at a mid-century modern Formica table banded in rippled stainless steel. Julia opened the refrigerator door and retrieved a glass pitcher filled with lemonade. She opened up a cabinet door next to the sink and grabbed two tall glasses.

"So Asa, Doctor Phegley tells me that you're a farmer," Julia recited, as she poured drinks for the two of them. "What do you farm?"

"Mostly soybeans. A bit of feed corn." Asa nervously fingered his glass, the condensation on the outside making his already sweaty palm a bit wetter. "Why am I feeling anxious?" he thought as he took a sip of the tart, sweet liquid.

"I see. Do you keep a garden too? I've got a small patch in my backyard. The usual assortment, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans. I enjoy gardening when I have the time and ... I'm prattling again ..."

Asa was captivated by her, watching her gesturing with her hands as she held her glass of lemonade. There was something so graceful about the way she moved ... elegant ... refined ... something told him there was much more to this woman than what little he knew. Just as he was about to say something Pitch entered the kitchen through his doggy door and waddled over and jumped on Julia's knees, hitting her glass of lemonade with his blocky head. Her drink splashed on her sweatshirt and jeans.

"Oh my!" she exclaimed as her clothes were soaked. She stood up and put down her now empty glass and made a hasty retreat to her bedroom. "Be right back," she said as she walked, her back to Asa.

Asa watched as her lean frame moved effortlessly, the way monied city folk carried themselves. He felt a compulsion to get up out of his chair and follow her. Although he didn't act on it, he was attracted to her, but couldn't put his finger on why. He took a couple more sips of his lemonade and bent over and scratched Pitch's tummy as the black lab wanted to play.

He heard footsteps and turned his head to see Julia come back in the room. She had let her hair down and had brushed it, and had donned a powder blue v-neck cotton blouse, black pants, and strappy sandals. She looked much taller in the sandals with heels, and her figure, which was disguised in a baggy sweatshirt, was pleasing. Although she didn't look like the swimsuit model like Em, she carried herself in a distinguished fashion. Curiosity got the best of Asa.

"Julia, you're not from around here. Where did you grow up?"

"How did you know?" Asa was much more perceptive than the ordinary man. Most of the people she had met pretty much had kept to themselves and exhibited little interest in her background. But Asa ... he seemed different to her. Even though he seemed like the salt of the earth, he also had more to share.

"I don't know ... maybe just the way you walk ... and carry yourself."

"That obvious?"

"Well ... no ... it's just a sense I have from watching you." Asa didn't want to sound defensive ... and he truly wanted to know.

Julia took another seat in the living room and crossed her legs. She seemed a little embarrassed when she continued. "I grew up in Chicago. My Dad was a well-known cardiologist and my Mom was a college professor at the University of Chicago. I went to boarding school and then a small liberal arts college in New England. I wasn't real close with my parents and towards the end of my teenage years we drifted apart. During my senior year of college I interned with a small dairy. I was majoring in nutrition, and wanted to know more about how cheeses were made. I met Gavin then. He was one of the working hands in the milking operation. We fell in love and married right after I graduated from college. Needless to say, my parents weren't thrilled with my choice, and really haven't had much to do with me since then. We moved to Garden City where Gavin got a job with the local grain elevator."

Asa shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He knew Gavin wasn't around anymore since Julia was struggling with Pitch on her own. Garden City was only about a half hour drive away. He had heard about an explosion at the grain elevator a couple of years ago.

"He died a while back. Industrial accident at a grain elevator. You might have heard about it."

Asa nodded.

"Our son Jason took it hard. He was all set to go to college when the accident happened. He ended up taking a year off, and then decided to join the Marines. It broke my heart. He was just deployed to the Middle East."

"So I heard from Doc Phegley. That's got to be tough on you."

Pitch brought a tennis ball to Julia. He dropped it at her feet and crouched down, waiting for her to throw it. She couldn't resist his pleading eyes and bent over, taking the slobber covered ball in her hand, and rolling it down the hallway. Pitch scrambled on the hardwood floor and shot down the hallway in pursuit of his prey.

"You can't imagine. He's all I have left ... except for Pitch." The eager lab dropped the ball again, waiting. Julia made no move to pick it up so the puppy picked up the ball and dropped it at Asa's feet.

"Smart dog, that one." Asa stroked the fur between his ears. He tossed the ball down the hallway again. "Knows how to play us both."

Sensing they were done for the day, Asa stood up. "Looks like I should be heading out."

Julia's eyes showed disappointment though it wasn't reflected in her voice. "Thank you so much for coming over. I've learned a lot." She looked again at his soft eyes, hoping there was going to be more between them. Asa felt the awkwardness of the moment and wanted to see her again. He was attracted to her elegance and grace, especially in light of her run of bad luck.

"I think Pitch could use another lesson. Would you like me to come over again?"

Her face brightened. "I'd like that ... and so would Pitch."

"Great ... I'll call you in a couple days?" He pushed open the screen door to leave, but not before looking back one more time to gaze at her, the puppy sitting next to her. Her eyes looked sad, and he wanted to run to her and comfort her. Instead, he let the screen door shut behind him. He got into his battered pick-up and cranked the ignition. As the engine sputtered to life, once again he got the nagging feeling that he wasn't supposed to leave.

***

It was a fitful night for Asa. With his favorite scotch in hand, he thought about Em. She was firecracker hot and would be a dream to take to bed. Why did she pick me? And the woman that I met today. There was something about her that made me feel comfortable, to want to be with her. Asa sipped the smooth brown liquor and wondered why he had two women on his mind when only a few days ago he had none.

***

The next day, after the morning chores, Asa sat on the porch and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Hello?" answered a female voice.

"Julia?"

"Asa, good of you to call."

"How's the puppy?"

"I think he's getting the idea. I've been taking him out and now he is doing his business in the same spot on the back yard. Already took him on the lead for a short walk this morning."

"That's great." Asa screwed up his courage. "You wouldn't be free for dinner tonight would you?"

There was a pause on the other end. Julia wanted to say yes but ... "I'm so sorry. I made a date with my neighbors a while back to go over to their house for dinner. Can I get a rain check on that?"

"Sure, sure," said Asa, disappointed but also relieved. "Maybe some other time."

They said their goodbyes and Asa went back to work on the farm, wondering if she was really busy of if she gave him a convenient excuse.

* * *

The next day was Julia's book club. She joined it in hopes of making friends, and that turned out to be successful. She met her two closest friends, Harper and Josie, through the once monthly all girls gathering. It was Julia's turn to host the event, and it was her personality to fret over what to serve for lunch. She chose the classic French ham sandwich. She sourced the baguette from a French bakery in the next town and butter from a local dairy. The ham came from a hog farmer in an adjoining county. Needless to say, the food was a success, with one unfortunate mishap.

One of the club members who wasn't familiar with the house opened the door to Julia's bedroom, where Pitch was kept during the party. Women were lunching around a coffee table that was of puppy height. Of course Pitch bolted out of the room when the door was opened and managed to eat three of the ham sandwiches before Julia was able to grab him by the collar. She picked up the petulant pooch and re-deposited him in her bedroom.

"That room is off limits," she informed the group, pointing to her door.

She told everyone that she was working with a dog trainer and hoped he could help with Pitch's rambunctiousness.

"So who are you working with?" asked Josie. She was naturally curious and always looking for a nugget of gossip.

"It's a guy named Asa. I forgot his last name. Nice guy. I think he's a farmer." Julia's heartbeat quickened at the mention of his name. She didn't realize the same reaction occurred to the others in the room.

Josie's eyes lit up. "You mean Asa Phillips, the soybean farmer?"

"Yes ... yes, that's him."

"You know that his wife passed away two years ago?" Like the others, Harper found him to be quite the catch. She was recently divorced and interested. "He's one of the most eligible bachelors in Concord," she added, since Julia apparently didn't know.

"Asa's the strong, silent type," noted Josie.

Julia nodded. "That's certainly the way he came across to me. Doesn't mince words. Tells it like it is."

"That's Asa," said Harper.

* * *

The next two days were a blur for Asa. His tractor developed an engine problem that he couldn't fix. He ended up having to flatbed it to the nearest John Deere dealer and await their verdict. It wasn't good. There was a compression issue that would take at least three days to fix, and in the meantime he had to till a new field he was developing. He called in a few favors, and the next day a tractor from a nearby farm was dropped off so he could continue his work. In the meantime his accountant called. His extension on his due date for his tax return had about run out, so he spent the evenings going through boxes to accumulate the information his accountant needed. Needless to say, both Em and Julia were in the far recesses of his mind.

On the third day, Asa got a break when the John Deere dealer called him to tell him that his tractor was fixed and would be delivered that afternoon. He called his neighbor to arrange delivery back of the borrowed tractor and offered to take his neighbor Derek to a local bar as a thank you. That evening, after delivery of the borrowed tractor, Asa and Derek drove to the bar in Derek's pick-up.

The bar, The Cove, was an old Victorian house that was converted to a bar at least fifty years ago. It sat on the edge of a small lake, and also boasted a dock with a gas pump for motor boats. It was a hangout for people vacationing on the lake, and also for locals. The downstairs was the bar, and the upstairs contained the administrative offices and a small apartment for the bar's manager. The main bar area was the former living/dining room, where the interior walls had been taken down, and was now graced with a thirty foot long zinc topped bar that was salvaged from a pub in England. Asa and Derek was sitting at the bar, drinking the local beer on tap, and exchanging stories about their respective love lives. Derek was also in his forties, salt and pepper hair, handsome and recently divorced. They were starting in on their third beer when Em and a girlfriend of hers breezed in.

"Asa!" said the perky redhead, her face lighting up at seeing him.

Asa and Derek rose off their bar stools to greet the women. Em introduced her friend Cheryl. Cheryl was also recently divorced, with two small children. Em and Cheryl had gone to high school together and had stayed in close touch over the years. It was their "girls night out" as Cheryl had dropped her kids off at her mother's for the night.

"I didn't know you come to The Cove," said Asa, his eyes dazzled by Em dressed for a night out. She was wearing a low cut cocktail dress that was slit up the side. When she perched herself on a barstool next to Asa and then crossed her legs, he could see all the way up to her mid-thigh. With a couple beers in him, she couldn't have been a lovelier sight. Cheryl sat on the other side, next to Derek. She was also wearing a dress, and looked stunning, but she also appeared uncomfortable, shifting in her barstool and pulling down on the hem of her dress, which started to ride up her legs when she sat down. Her divorce was only finalized a few months ago, and it was her first night out as a single woman. She wasn't used to being back in the singles scene, and her body language reflected her discomfort.