All Comments on 'Playing the Game'

by Fredoberto

Sort by:
  • 47 Comments
FredobertoFredobertoabout 2 months agoAuthor

Hope you got my little nod to the Jackson 5 in the seventies.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Five stars for a very enjoyable read

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Good story with a moral. The diamond in the rough is lying right near you while you go chasing after glass imitations! 5 stars!

Believe it or not, the very first thing I thought of when Sam Malone made his remark was how the MC would be able to keep her from straying.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Five star writing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

We all know and have at one time dated women like this Annie.

Horrible women. Something broken inside. Incapable of real love.

Good story. Glad he found out before it actually progressed to a wedding. He had a much better life.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 2 months ago

He certainly dodged a bullet!

5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Good story, good ending! Thanks.

lujon2019lujon2019about 2 months ago

'To some extent I was in the same boat as Annie, having left my parental home in Glasgow to move across country to Scotland's east coast '

.

I stopped reading here to make a comment

.

Imagine your ENTIRE country being LESS wide than over 20 separate American city metro areas?

Three times a week my daily commute is nearly twice as long as this MCs life altering move

kirei8kirei8about 2 months ago

No fucking way should he have let her keep the expensive ring. Hocked it, destroyed it , yes, but not let her have it. He could have ripped it off her finger taking some skin with it. Jane should have fallen on a few hard times also. Story was way way too wimpy.

amygdalaamygdalaabout 2 months ago

Ohh to live and learn, how many can relate to breaking the piggy bank to impress a girl who in hindsight wasn’t worth your time and effort except for the life lesson you learnt from being around them.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 months ago

Good story and welcome back! 4.4*

RanDog025RanDog025about 2 months ago

Ha! Good one! Thank you! 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 2 months ago

Great story, Fredo, with some hope, some pain, and, eventually, healing and happiness. I liked the way he handled the situation and how it fit the theme of the challenge. 5* and thanks for writing and participating.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 2 months ago
Good Story!

Sheena successfully played the long game - smart woman! Well done.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 2 months ago

Very nice story. I enjoyed it.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 2 months ago

Maybe her father knew his daughter was a flighty little minx and doubted she was capable of keeping to one man?

A 5* tale.

DazzyDDazzyDabout 2 months ago

This is a 5 plus. Good stuff…

ttt59ttt59about 2 months ago

Lucky she saved him from the wicked witch!

A_BierceA_Bierceabout 2 months ago

Very nicely done, Fredo. Sheena was definitely Queen of the Bill Jungle. Sorry, five's the best I can do.

Rolando1225Rolando1225about 2 months ago

Pleasure to read this story. Great storyteller. Thanks for the story.

robinhodrobinhodabout 2 months ago

No plot twists or surprises but a very nice 'feel good' story, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

PS, I knew a girl just like Annie. She married my mate, not me. Lucky me!

LanmandragonLanmandragonabout 2 months ago

Nice one! I learnt to drive on a Triumph Herald, according to my instructor they had a smaller turning circle than comparable vehicles of the time. My complete lessons and driving test cost less than £25!

TenementFunsterTenementFunsterabout 2 months ago

ABC , It's easy as 123, as simple as do re mi......nice reference to the Jackson 5, I remember in grade school

the rivalry between fans of the Osmonds and the Jackson 5. Whose music was better.....

Really enjoyed your story, loved the happy ending for Bill and Sheena. I admired Sheena for setting Bill free-

what's the saying-if you love someone, set them free, if they come back to you, it was meant to be.

Thanks for your time and effort for this story......maybe you have another one brewing for us???

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Well done, sir, and welcome back!

26thNC26thNCabout 2 months ago

Great story. Anne was most definitely a wicked girl. You have such an easy, smooth style that reading this was a real pleasure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A good feel good story. Well worth four solid stars. The writing was very competent and developed the characters well.

JPB NOT BOB

DukeofPaducahDukeofPaducahabout 2 months ago

The confrontation between Bill and Annie was satisfying; brief and without histrionics, but sharp as a razor.

Sheena was the best, the true prize. I’m glad Bill seemed to realize how well he traded up.

This was an enjoyable tale told from an entirely different perspective; so civilized.

Your writing style was impeccable, so do crack on. Keep a stiff upper lip, pip-pip and all that.

LWLover60LWLover60about 2 months ago

No way would I have let her keep the ring. If I didn't want it I would have donated it to charity, but no way does she get to keep it after that level of disrespect. I'd have pulled it off her finger as I bum rushed her out the door to her Italian friend.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 2 months ago

"I didn't like Fredo and not just because he had an affair with Annie." - Well, HE didn't really have an affair, since he didn't even know her status, but SHE sure did!

\

"As far as I was concerned Fredo was a horrible person," - At least he wasn't cheating! If he's a horrible person, what does that make Annie?

\

"I expect she knew any effort to try and get back together with me was a lost cause." - Especially on top of what Sheena saw, which was obviously more than Annie admitted to.

\

Fuck not getting the ring back, that's serious money!

Simon_MastersSimon_Mastersabout 2 months ago

LWLover60, yeah I was thinking about the ring, I'd have had soap or something slippery ready, so she wouldn't have felt the ring slip off, sleight of hand, bye bye tramp.

bacchant2bacchant2about 2 months ago

Possiblly a little to close to reality.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Great story, Fred. I’ve missed reading anything new from you for a while, but occasionally have reread your earlier offerings. Anyway, this story has important lessons for any young guy, or gal considering marriage. Five stars ⭐️ for this one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

5 stars because of Sheena.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I don't understand how Sheena could understand that he was "dreaming" about Annie and take it so seriously as to break off their relationship. As far as I understood, at that time he and Annie had never even had a proper conversation, let alone any signs of attention or flirtation between them.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Just a FYI you were only off by 1 decade. The late 70's were not flower power and tie dyed t-shirts, that was the 60's. The late 70's was disco.

jmmj5jmmj5about 1 month ago

I enjoyed that. Nice little story about life lessons - painful they might be.

Looking forward to your next one.

AnonymousAnonymous3 days ago

Ahhhhh….shit, anon. You had to remind me of the late 70’s disco…and after all these years I had thought I’d purged those vapid memories. Just shit. Good story, though.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userFredoberto@Fredoberto
Born many years ago in Glasgow, Scotland. Travelled the world, lived and worked in several countries and survived so far.

SIMILAR Stories