All Comments on 'Plot Armour and the Deus ex Machina'

by shakna

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
ErocratErocratabout 2 years ago

Oh come on. Kaleid isn't really dead. Right? Right?

Seriously: her death was a double loss, first because of her demise and then because of her never begotten offspring. That last one was actually the worst, sorta kicking a man when he's already down, and I didn't like it one bit, however profound and realistic. I think the loss may have been exacerbated by the fact that this site is mostly catering to happy endings - in more than one literalization of the concept - but of course, evidence to the contrary is present and accounted for. AspernEssling's "Chronicles Of Hvad" and "Westrons" for example are great stories with a whole lot of sadness, but then: they feature a primarily military setting rather than sexy cartoon kitten protagonists. The fact that in this case, divine intervention (and not just ex machina) remains a distinct possibilty, keeping the story firmly in the realm of fiction, made it a little more bearable, but still. Hindsight being what it is, maybe I'd have liked Toofy a whole lot less if it had been sunshine and roses for the good guys (and/or the Orcs). I don't know. Balance is a fickle mistress.

Anyway, I do not encourage overuse of plot armour, but I like to think that my fav characters will survive because why else would you tell their story? Death is indeed all too common, but survival against (almost) all odds is the noteworthy exception to the rule, and surely the reason the story exists. Right? Also, loss per se is not all that constructive. Darth Vader is a great villain because of the eventual redemption of the snivelling little bitch. Just making him an asshole wouldn't have had the same impact, however cool the suit. So while I never tell writers how to develop their stories and advise against listening to the pandering readers - because that would really defeat the point of writing - I do hope you will go easy on the use of knives just for the sake of gritty realism. If I want to feel sad, I look at my bank statement. #fishforbubbles!

Lovecraft_LoreLovecraft_Loreabout 2 years ago

5 stars

Like when Sean Bean gets his head cut off. Blam. Main Character gone.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I think you have deus ex machina confused with resolution, and you have plot armor confused with character arc.

As for Wash, that was an idiotic death. There are better ways to get the same result (and still have Wash die). Whedon just likes messing with his audience. As does George RR Martin. Killing characters just to keep the reader on their toes is poor plotting. Both Whedon and Martin, although good writers, would be much better if they improved their plotting rather than just killing characters for shock value.

I have not read your stories. I found this essay to be interesting. And now I know not to read any of your stories.

shaknashaknaabout 2 years agoAuthor

@Erocrat - Kaleid is the onokentaura from Toofy. The big guy who arrived with the prophet elf. You're thinking of Meerakeilian. But, yes, her death and lack of egg, was a nice little knife twist to the audience.

As to _who_ might be protected by plot armour in the Toofyverse... There is exactly one person. Bubbles. Her tale is separate to the main plot, and even when things are looking sad, you can count on it turning around again. Even when it looks like she's lost everything, you are free to ask how she'll get it all back, again. Her tale really is sunshine and roses.

skippersdadskippersdadabout 2 years ago

What ever you use it works you tell a good tail.

TehWafflHouzeTehWafflHouzeover 1 year ago

I don't actually know what story you're referring to, and perhaps I'll read it one day, but this was an enjoyable and helpful insight into plot armor and deus ex machina and I enjoyed reading it.

DarkAurther6969DarkAurther6969over 1 year ago

Wow that was really Great as I was Reading it I not only Felt this feels it belong more in to the 'How To's' instead of 'Reviews & Essays' but more importantly as I have Read it I felt like I was Hear, Two of my Favorite YouTubers in my head. As One of them Deals in How To Write a Book Content while the other Deals in How To Write a Script Both Movie and TV Content. But on a Personal Note I can't speak for everyone else but for me personally the reason it is near impossible to kill off my characters in my own personal stories. is because I literally imagine myself interacting with them to not only get some story ideas but to also to see how I could Improve on Both them and the other characters and obviously that also includes Improvements on the world of that Particular story and in addition to the story itself. And so If and When I Attempt to Kill Off any of my Characters Good Or Bad Hero or Villain, it's like me killing one of my own Family members or at least a Close Bestie I just couldn't do it. Not very easy at least, that's how close My Characters and I have become to each other in my Head and Imagination. Don't get me Wrong I well do it it's just when that time comes it's not going to be easy to say the least.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usershakna@shakna
My favourite writings are my fantasy-world settings, my followers adore my forbidden romances. There's a few things to find here. It's always fun to hear from a fan, and who knows... You might inspire me to write something. I try and respond to every email, but you may have t...