Poor Charlie

Story Info
Quiet town. Bad town.
899 words
3.77
7.6k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Wordmate
Wordmate
101 Followers

What can you say about poor Charlie? He was a ten year old boy who stayed out of trouble and rarely complained about anything. Of course, Charlie was an only child, making it easy for his parents when it came to raising him. Then one summer day, his whole life would change forever. One little incident would change the attitude of the citizens of this small, quiet town.

On a hot summer day, Charlie was playing little league for the local team; a team that had not won a championship in ten years. The town hoped and prayed that this would be the year and Charlie stood as the star player. The team started the season winning three in a row, looking for win number four.

The team was down three to nothing in the final inning and Charlie was at the plate, anxious to get it done and be the hero. With the count three and two, Charlie swung his bat, sending that ball clear away from the park. The young player pulled it through and the crowd exploded and went mad. The team's unbeaten streak continued and everyone went home happy, including the coach, who treated the team with pizza. The two people who were most proud were Charlie's folks, wasting no time in hugging and kissing their little boy.

Later, the celebration would take a turn for the worse. Word got out that an accident took place during the game and the town's mayor was involved. He had lost control of his vehicle and smashed into a truck, killing him on impact. The news spread and the town was devastated. Mayor Evan Block was well respected and loved in this town for years; learning of his fate broke the hearts of everyone who knew him personally.

Soon the news turned grim when it was revealed what caused the mayor's untimely demise. It turned out that a certain baseball made it all happen. Some people said they saw it bounce off the mayor's windshield and cracked it, leading to him losing control. Once people found out the ball was hit by the very same hitter who lead his team to victory, it was more heartbreaking and shocking than anyone could handle.

Several days later, heartbreak turned into hate as Charlie was suddenly public enemy number one. He and his folks attended Block's funeral, but those who were showing respect didn't want them there. Many either turned their backs or looked at them with hate building in their hearts.

Afterwards, things went from serious to ridiculous. Rumors started spreading that Charlie's family hated the mayor and didn't vote or show any support over him. Certain idiots had the gall to say that Charlie's dad coached him into targeting the mayor once he came out in the open, and the ball would be his bullet. In other words, the home run was planned and everyone ate it up.

Charlie and his family were practically outcasts. Some wanted Charlie arrested for his crime, while others wanted his head on a platter. Death threats were not too far away, as well as name calling; some going as far as calling the poor boy a demon. His parents were in shock at the actions of their so called friends, treating their ten year old like a criminal. Charlie's friends avoided him because their parents said so and was kicked off the team. His dad went over to complain, but accomplished nothing except getting into a shouting match with the coach.

Soon the boy's father was fired from his job and threatening phone calls nearly drove his mother into a nervous breakdown. It was clear to the family that nobody wanted them in their town and were better off leaving or dropping dead.

Charlie's father had had enough and made the decision of leaving this quiet town they called home. Everyone packed up and left without a single goodbye or a hug from anyone. Charlie sat in the backseat, staring through the rear window, looking at the town until he could see it no more.

Some people thought, "good riddance". Others felt the family should have been arrested for their actions. Without their star player, the little league team went into a losing streak and failed to make the playoffs. People already assumed Charlie put a curse upon the team for dumping him. As things started quieting down, poor Charlie was pretty much forgotten which suited everyone just fine.

Twenty years later, the quiet and peaceful town became a ball of ash. Flames engulfed anyone and anything that stood in the way. Businesses were gone and the schools were incinerated. The flames spread like a forest fire and many people were either hurt or killed. Across town, people gathered by the Evan Block bridge, looking at the fire and black smoke rising upon the dark skies.

Everyone stood in awe at what went down. One person, however, actually admired with what he saw. He smiled and tried hard not to laugh. He was about six feet tall, wearing a dark, hooded sweater, looking closely at the disaster that filled him with joy. Fire trucks came by the dozens, but he knew the damage was already done and the town was beyond saving.

One last look at the burning site and quietly he walked away from the crowd, his hands deep in his pockets.

Wordmate
Wordmate
101 Followers