Power of Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I nodded, then said "Okay, what's the other thing?"

Lange said "Do the names 'William Drew' and 'Mort Springer' mean anything to you?"

My eyes widened in surprise. "They sure as hell do!" I exclaimed. "They were two of the Navy SEALs on Trent and Quint's team! Or more accurately, LT Jeff Bayport's team."

"That's right." said Lange. "Here's the story. There is an airport next to the Hammondsville Railyards, across the State Line from here. That airport is mostly for small private planes, but is big enough that smaller freight planes can take off and land, and deliver freight to and from the railcars in the Hammondsville Railyards."

"Yes, it also was used to fly in transplant organs before our County Airport was expanded some years ago." I said.

"Suffice it to say it just isn't used very much nowadays." said Lange. "Railroad executives might fly in, but that's it. Of course, you can figure out that the Government can use that resource to our advantage, as well." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Lange continued: "When anything does come in or out, it tends to be noticed at the Railyards. Especially since incident with the train carrying arms was hijacked, not to mention the EMPTY QUIVER event." (Author's note: 'Iscariot', Ch. 04; 'The Nuclear Option'.)

"So a small freight plane came in, and two boxes were offloaded, and two loaded on. But during that time, two men in suits also got off, and their pictures were taken at the Railyards." Lange showed me a photo, which was grainy but clearly showed the two men.

I said "The blonde one is Mort Springer. So the other one is William Drew?"

"That's right, as far as we can tell." said Lange. "Facial rec identified Springer, as well. It gave a 60% probability of a match for Drew."

"When was this taken?" I asked.

"Yesterday, about noon." said Lange. "They aren't there now, though. We locked down the Hammondsville Railyards as soon as we got this information yesterday afternoon, but they were nowhere to be found. So they're in the wind."

"I'll put out an alert to the entire TCPD to be on the lookout for them." I said. "If they're lying low at one of the hotels, we'll see if we can find some trace of them. Or do you want this kept quiet?"

"Have your Police Force look for them," said Lange, "but maybe don't mention their names or anything. Just two wanted fugitives, possibly armed and extremely dangerous. Do you need photos?"

"I have Drew's LAPD photo, and Springer's CHP (California Highway Patrol) photo." I said. "I'll couch it in the right terms. In fact..."

I got on my landline phone and asked Teresa to come to my office. When she arrived, she and EAD Lange exchanged greetings, then I filled her in on what was going on.

"Let's have Detectives, including Intel people, go to the hotels, ask if those two have been seen or checked in." I said. "Check video footage around the hotels going several days back, and also vehicles coming in from Hammondsville. You might also have the Intel people looking into any rail shipping that came in during the last few days, but don't get the Railroad's people's hackles up about anything."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. As she turned to leave, I said "One more thing, Commander. If you'll have a few minutes of conversation with EAD Lange, here, I'll go get Intel up to speed on these two guys myself." I excused myself, leaving Teresa and EAD Lange alone in my office to talk about her situation...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

4:00pm, Friday, March 20th. Jack Muscone came to my office. I had him sit down.

"I heard about Mort Springer and William Drew showing up within smelling distance of here." Muscone said. "Anything new on that?"

"No." I said. "My Intel people got some highly-sought-after field time in by going to all the hotels in the County and asking about them. None of the hotel employees asked about it had seen them, nor were they checked in under those names. And my people said they watched the reactions of the hotel peoples, and didn't think anyone was deliberately lying to them."

Muscone said "If they are somewhere, they likely are not under their real names."

I said "True. And worse, these new apps, like the Bed and Breakfast app that gets my old home in Apple Grove rented out every weekend, makes it easy for someone to find lodging and us not knowing a thing about it. The I.T. and Intel people are focusing all our County cameras on looking for these two, so if they show up to go out to dinner, or drive down one of the main streets, maybe we'll get something."

Muscone nodded. "I think they're doing similar things in Hammondsville's county, as well as Coltrane County, Nextdoor County, Hamilton County, Valley Villages, and around the nuclear power plant. So... what does the Iron Crowbar think those two are up to? Besides obviously up to no good, of course."

I smiled wanly, then said "The only thing that occurs to me is a small event that is occurring next week. Some FBI guy is marrying a Police Captain, and that'll distract the entire TCPD and half the FBI in these parts."

"Oh, shit." muttered Muscone. "You're right about that."

I said "The good news is that the wedding is on the property of BOW Enterprises, and I happen to know the CEO of that joint. Better yet, one of my Police Officers actually has influence over him."

"Women are amazing." said Jack. "Just between us, because they have what they have between their legs, they have total power over what we men have between our legs."

I broke out laughing, then said "I don't think I'll say that out loud in my Angels's presences. One of them is in charge of H.R. Anyhoo, I've called Todd and told him of the potential threat of these guys, who are associates of Trent and Quint, and he's upgraded security. BigPharmaCorp, Crown Chemicals, and the University have done likewise."

"So you think they're going to do something while we're all at the wedding?" Jack asked.

"I have no idea, Jack." I said, almost witheringly as I leaned back in my chair. "I only answered your question by pointing out that the wedding is happening... unless the Groom gets cold feet and backs out." Yes, I was grinning at that.

"Heh." muttered Muscone. "I'd rather endure a Crowbar beatdown than face the wrath of your Angels if I did that..."

Part 12 - Inexorable Pressure

Saturday, March 21st. Amber Harris was putting the groceries she'd just purchased away when there was a knock on her door. As she went to see who it was, she found her Parole Officer was already in her front room. And she was not alone.

"What are you doing here, Ross?" Amber asked witheringly as the Parole Officer and two of her people began leading the TCPD's outstanding drug dog, Sergeant Tango, through the apartment.

"The drug dog is my responsibility, so I'm watching over him." said Cindy Ross. "And of course, I'm here with your Parole Officer, going through your house and your possessions... because I can.."

"Police harassment?" Amber sneered.

"You don't get it, do you bitch?" Cindy said, walking up to Amber then lowering her voice. "You're on parole. The State owns your ass. And that means I own your ass. Call it what you want, but Bettina keeps talking about Betty Morelli's baby, and that means I'm going to be crawling up your ass for three years... and who knows if you'll survive the next visit. A brick of China White found in your heating vent... or worse, a gun found under your mattress. And you're back in prison and your children taken from you. You won't see them until they're eighteen... if you can find them... if they survive to eighteen in DFACS hell."

"God damn you to hell." Amber snarled quietly.

"And the funniest part of it," Cindy said, "is that it won't even be your fault. If Bettina and Penis Holder keep it up... I take it out on you."

"Nothing here, Commander." said the Parole Officer.

"This time." Cindy replied. "Okay, let's go. I'll take Sergeant Tango back to Headquarters..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Amber really is frightened." said Bettina as she and Burt West sat at the bar of the Cattleman's Club and sipped their drinks. "We may be pushing this one too hard. Ross is as dirty as her cousin. She almost murdered me. No telling what she might do to Amber." (Author's note: 'The Nuclear Option', Ch. 03-04.)

"Yeah, I know." said Burt West. "But I'll be damned if I'm going to let that dyke blackmail or force me into stopping what we're doing... which is honestly reporting the news that the People have the right to know. And Amber knew the risks, and eagerly joined us in our righteous war on that bastard Donald Troy."

"Yes, but Amber's children didn't sign up for that." said Bettina.

"You didn't complain too much when Hardwood put Troy's daughter in that warehouse with all that ammonium nitrate." West said. (Author's note: 'Teresa Christmas Finale', Ch. 01-02.)

"Sure I did!" Bettina protested, her face getting redder than her hair. "That was just as wrong, and you sure as hell didn't hear me supporting what Hardwood did! And if you ever say that about me again, Burt, I'll cut your balls off and feed them to you!"

"Point taken." said West, pretending to concede. "So what do you want to do? Capitulate to Troy? Gonna give him a blowjob to make up with him?"

"I'd rather give him a blowjob than give you one." Bettina retorted. "And Donald Troy whipped the Slender Man's faceless ass. How'd you do against the Slender Man, Burt?" (Author's note: 'Return of the Slender Man'.)

"All right, you're crossing the line." West said, now irritated himself. "The question remains: what do you want to do? I'm not dropping the war on Troy."

"Let's agree to disagree, then." said Bettina. "I'm leaving the kids out of it. I'm not going to pursue the Morelli baby story anymore. Get Lester to do it, if you still want to go there. And ditto that for Lester calling Troy's daughter filthy names. I'm about ready to call him out over that. It makes Lester and KXTC look as racist as Val Jared."

Burt West finished off his drink, then said "Okay. You're the Managing Editor; it's your choice to make. But remember this: Donald Troy helped Val Jared overcome those two women that had him dead-to-rights on that sexual harassment issue. Donald Troy saved Jared's ass by exposing Tasheeka Harris's efforts to get Republicans to vote to convict him. Donald Troy overcame Raymond Westboro. Donald Troy put Peter Blassingame on Death Row, and perp-walked Mitt Willis to his premature death."

"What I'm saying Bettina," continued West, looking right through her eyes, "is that the stakes for political power have never been higher. And we're going to do whatever it takes to get our piece of that pie. And for that to happen, we have to destroy Donald Troy. And quite frankly, I don't care how we do it, or if his kids get hurt in the process."

Bettina stared at Burt West. "You're beginning to sound like John Hardwood. But beyond Donald Troy and his kids... are you okay with Amber Harris getting hurt? And her kids getting hurt? Lester barely survived that beatdown he took. Destroying Troy is one thing, but do we have to sacrifice ourselves to do it?"

West got up and threw some green dollar bills on the counter. "Like I said, Bettina," he said, "do what you want." He turned and left, leaving Bettina alone to contemplate over her drink...

Part 13 - The Inquisition

10:00am, Tuesday, March 24th. TCPD Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle and her attorney Agnes T. Spires were sitting in the Main Conference Room, awaiting the FBI Agents that were coming to question her... about what, they did not know.

The Duty Desk Sergeant escorted the Agents to the Main Conference Room. The first to come in was FBI Supervisory Special Agent Nate Grimes, who greeted the women affably. Things went downhill from there.

"What is she doing here?" yelled Teresa when Special Agent Lindsey Black came in with a smug look on her otherwise cute face.

"She's been assigned to this investigation." said Nate Grimes. "But I'll be asking the questions." He began setting up a portable videocamera, to tape the interview.

"Before you ask anything," said Agnes T. Spires, "what is this about?"

"You're not asking the questions, here." said Lindsey Black, putting a menacing, ugly tone into her voice.

"Hold on." said Nate Grimes. He turned to Lindsey Black and said "We agreed that I would lead this conversation. There's no need to agitate them. Okay, what this is about, is an investigation into the murder of an FBI Agent several years ago. You know his half-brother, FBI Agent Jack Muscone."

"What does that have to do with my client?" asked Agnes T. Spires.

"That's my first question." said Nate Grimes. "Commander Croyle, you are of course aware of the drunk driving car collision that took the life of your sister, Alexis?"

"Of course she is." said Agnes T. Spires.

"The man that drove the car that collided with your sister's." said Nate Grimes. "Are you aware of his identity?"

"And you have to answer. Not your lawyer." interjected Lindsey Black, a sneer of triumph on her face.

"That's not true." said Agnes T. Spires.

"I'll answer it." said Teresa. "Yes, I am now aware of who the man is that was arrested at the scene." Grimes didn't seem to take notice of the form of Teresa's sentence, but Lindsey Black was peering hard at her.

"He is the man who was later found murdered, and whose murder we are investigating." said Grimes. "Are you aware that he is Jack Muscone's brother?"

"I am now." Teresa said.

"When did you become aware of that fact?" asked Grimes.

"Which fact?" asked Agnes T. Spires before Teresa could answer.

"That the man who ran his car into her sister, killing her sister, was Jack Muscone's brother?" said Grimes.

"I don't recall." Teresa said.

"What do you mean, you don't recall?" barked Lindsey Black. "At some point in time, you found out that the man who killed your sister was your associate Jack Muscone's brother! He's marrying your fellow Police Officer! Information like that would be a big frickin' deal to you! If you say you don't remember, you're lying! So when was it that you found out?"

"Don't answer that." said Agnes T. Spires. To Black, she said "That is a presumption on your part. I am advising my client to refuse to answer that question, and for the reason you just stated yourself... you're attempting to accuse my client of lying to a Federal Agent." That was one trap avoided.

"Look," said Nate Grimes, "I understand you may not remember exactly, and you don't want to be accused of lying to Federal Agents. But we can go through a long, drawn-out series of questions like a Court trial, or you can just tell us what you knew and when you knew it."

Agnes T. Spires said "Ask your specific questions to get specific answers, then. Right now I'm thinking of calling this off, because I think Agent Black here is dishonestly and disingenuously trying to entrap my client. So nothing open-ended, and I will stop my client if you try to make her expand on her answers in an open-ended way."

Nate Grimes was a lawyer, and was very used to this. But Lindsey Black was showing her exasperation, and Teresa saw it and took advantage.

Teresa said "Speaking of open-ended, why don't you guys get to the point, here. Stop beating around the bush. Why are you questioning me? What is your purpose? What is your end game?"

"We ask the questions, here." snarled Lindsey Black. "Confine yourself to answering them."

"Agent Black." said Nate Grimes, an undercurrent of anger in his relatively calm voice. "I've asked you not to ratchet up the hostility." Black looked angrily at him as he turned to Teresa and said "Okay, let's cut to the chase: Commander Croyle, did Jack Muscone ever tell you he murdered his half brother?"

"Don't answer that!" Agnes T. Spires almost yelled.

"She has to answer!" Lindsey Black outright yelled. "Or I'll arrest her right now, for Obstructing a Federal Investigation!"

"THEN DO IT!" Teresa yelled, standing up and holding out her arms as if to allow herself to be handcuffed. "Go ahead! Arrest me!"

"Wait a minute---" tried Grimes, but Teresa was past the games.

"No, I'm calling your bluff, bitch!" Teresa snarled at Lindsey Black. "I'm not some lower-middle-class Citizen you can threaten and push around! I know the Law, and I have the money to fight you all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court!"

"And to that point," Teresa continued, "you're going to have to PROVE that I know something that's relevant to whatever sham investigation you're doing right now! And if you can't PROVE that, then I'm not obstructing a damn thing! So go ahead, try to arrest me!"

"This interview is over." said Agnes T. Spires, standing up herself. "You've just accused my client of two crimes: one being obstruction of a Federal investigation, which my client has very correctly called you out on. And your question insinuates that Commander Croyle was told of a crime and didn't act on it. So not another word, Commander."

"Get out of my Police Station." said Teresa Croyle. "And if you want to talk to me again, get a warrant."

"This ain't over, Teresa Cunt." snarled Lindsey Black. "I'm going to take your dirty ass down!"

"Let's go, Agent Black." Nate Grimes said angrily as he got up and collected his things.

"Don't leave Town, bitch." Lindsey Black said.

"Am I under arrest?" Teresa fired back.

"No, not at this time." said Nate Grimes.

"Then go fuck yourself, bitch." said Teresa. "I'll go where I damn well please, whenever I damn well want to. You want a war with me? Bring. It. On."

Nate Grimes all but forcibly dragged Lindsey Black out of the Conference Room, and the Officer that had been at the doorway in the hallway escorted the Federal Agents back to the front lobby.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So what do you make of that, Commanderrrrr?" asked Chief Moynahan as he, Sheriff Griswold, myself, Teresa, and Agnes T. Spires sat in the Chief's Conference Room. We had watched (and recorded) the 'inquisition' of Teresa by the Federal Agents.

"I loved the way you called Lindsey Black's bluff." I said. "And I'm going to go out on a limb and say SSA Nate Grimes did not like the hostility Black was creating."

"You are too forgiving, Crowbar." said Sheriff Griswold. "He's still taking part in this charade... or maybe 'witch hunt' is a better term."

I nodded vigorously in agreement. "Yes sir, that's what it was. A fishing expedition. But we now know a lot more than we did. We know that they're going after Jack Muscone. We know they're clutching at straws trying to pin his brother's death on him. And there is one other thing that I did not fail to notice: Lindsey Black told Teresa to stay in Town!"

"I know you see things none of us dooooo, Mr. Crowbarrrrr." drawled the Chief. "I'm not seeing this one."

"Isn't that just something they commonly say?" asked the Sheriff.

"It's something we local LEOs say." I said. "The Feds should be interested only in Teresa trying to leave the country. But Black made a point to tell Teresa to stay in Town, even though they don't have a shred of anything to charge Teresa with. And something is telling me that that was big, and much more important than it appears on the surface..."

Part 14 - Dry Runs

10:00am, Thursday, March 26th. FBI Assistant Special Agent In Charge Karina White came into my office with FBI Executive Assistant Director Owen Lange. After pouring all three of us cups of coffee, we got down to business.

"Jack Muscone is semi-off-duty." growled Owen Lange in his scratchy voice. "We're saying it's because of his upcoming wedding, but its also to keep him out of the spotlight. This thing about his brother is not a joke. The good news is that everyone is holding back until after the wedding is over."