Power of Love Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The Independent State Counsel didn't do that." I replied. "That bastard Robert Mullen tried to subpoena Teresa to testify on her wedding day." (Author's note: 'Soap Opera', Ch. 03-04.)

"Maybe Grimes thinks he knows where Muscone will be on Saturday, so he doesn't have to resort to dirty tricks." said Lange. "Also, Grimes kicked Lindsey Black off the investigation after she totally botched the questioning of Commander Croyle, and Deputy Director Lawrence Lance backed Grimes up on that."

"Is Grimes clean or dirty?" asked Karina White.

"For now," I said, "I tend to say he's on the 'clean' side, and one of the good guys. And that's because he showed us what was going on by asking Teresa that question, if Jack had admitted to her he'd murdered his brother. The question itself let the cat out of he bag big-time. And the way he went about questioning Teresa... it was extremely poor technique for a guy who we know knows better."

"That's a good point." said Lange. "Anything else you're seeing?"

I replied with a grin: "I'm always glad to see you, Karina, but your presence here suggests something is going on with William Drew and Mort Springer. And possibly something that is the pervue of the ATF, of which you were once a part."

Karina grinned as she raised her arms and fists in 'victory', and said "I get to say it! Not much gets past you, Commander Troy!" Owen Lange chuckled as heartily as I'd ever heard him chuckle. I couldn't help but chuckle, either.

Karina continued: "You're right. We got a tip from some people in the ATF that I'm on good terms with. Shipments to and from the Redbird Arsenal that go through the Hammondsville Railyards are monitored closely. Last night, a train carrying two cars full of military-grade high explosives that shipped out of Redbird, came into the Railyards. As per protocols and for safety reasons, such trains are kept to the very outside of the railyards, away from the populated buildings." I nodded.

Karina: "When the train got to the railyards, a flag suddenly popped up. The original orders were for the train to come east, through this State and the State to the east, to a military installation. However, orders came through to divert the shipment to the line going north, and to another military installation. Further checks showed that there was a conflict between the two sets of orders. So the two train cars with the explosives were held in place, and the rest of the train moved on."

"Are the explosives accounted for?" I asked. "All correct in quantity, lot numbers, all that?"

"Yes." said Lange. "The lot numbers on the boxes were checked at sunrise this morning, and the boxes counted. Everything was there; nothing has disappeared."

"The train cars are in the same place they were when they were brought in?" I asked incisively.

"Uh, I'm not sure." said Karina, checking her tablet. "They're on the south side of the Railyards, having come in from the west. The train had to be taken apart and the rest of it put back together, so where it is now may not be exactly where it was when it came in."

"But it was being monitored the entire time." said Lange. "And those railcars are being guarded right now, as well as having cameras on them that they're watching from the Dispatcher's Tower."

I nodded. "Okay." I said. "And in a related question: any new signs of Drew and Springer?"

"No." said Lange. "We've gone through with manned sweeps several times, and also used drones to see if there are any hot spots that would be human bodies. No one was found that was not legitimate and accounted-for. So... any idea where they might have gone to?"

I shook my head. "No. And it would be hard for them to lay low without food, so we've watched the restaurants and the grocery stores. Unless they have help getting food and other provisions, they haven't shown themselves in this County."

"That's a Herculean task." said Karina. "Trying to watch every grocery store, convenience store, pizza joint, Subway shop, and restaurant. And then there's Uber Eats and other delivery services."

"I agree." I said. "But the gist of it is that these guys haven't popped their heads up around here, and we're looking for them very hard." I then said "Let me ask this, Mr. EAD: if we were to see these guys, and I called you... what would your response be?"

Lange said "I'm assuming you mean 'not in this County', because you wouldn't call us if you saw them here; you'd go after them yourself." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Lange: "But to answer your question: we'd get a posse of Federal Agents and go after them. Augmented by local LEOs, if we can gather them in time."

I said "And if all your Federal Agents, and local LEOs... were at a wedding on Saturday?"

"Ohhhhhhh." said Karina, falling back in her chair as it hit her. "You think they're going to try something during the wedding? What, rob a local bank?"

"I dunno." I said. "But highly trained operatives like Springer and Drew would be like a triphammer crushing a nut when it comes to hitting a bank."

"Unless it's the safe deposit boxes they want to hit." said Karina. "Then guys like those would be good. And maybe not a bank, but another secure entity."

Owen Lange said "At least BOW Enterprises would be safe, what with all that LEO firepower on site." I nodded almost sardonically in agreement.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, March 27th. The Rehearsal had gone smoothly, though the chill in the air in the early evening had been uncomfortable for some. The Wedding the next day, on the grounds of BOW Enterprises, would be at 2:00pm, and warmer weather was expected. In the event of inclement weather, we'd have the ceremony in the small building behind BOW Enterprises... where Lt. Ivar Irwin had died. (Author's note: 'A Death In The Family'.)

"Bessemer Sugar Cookies." I said as we gathered at the Lilibet House for the Rehearsal Dinner. Don't blame me; it was Laura who'd set the dinner up for me. "I always loved those."

"I like their Butter Pecan cookies." said Laura. "But I can't eat too many, or I'll get fat."

"Har. You'll never be fat, you sexy young woman you." I said. Laura smiled at the compliment.

"So Christina Cho is the Maid of Honor." I said. "Tanya didn't choose Cindy or Teresa?" Teresa and Cindy were coming up, and they began laughing hard at that, then finally told us the reason why...

Flashback...

Cindy and Teresa were in Tanya's office. Tanya said "I can't decide which one of you to ask to be my Maid or Matron of Honor."

"We can play rock/paper/scissors for it." Cindy suggested.

"Or we can take it to the Police Boxing Matches ring." Teresa said with a gleam in her eye. "Winner take all."

Tanya's eyes acquired a wicked gleam of their own as she said "Nooooo, Commander Troy is not going to be my Maid of Honor."

"Oh my God!" Teresa exclaimed in open-mouthed surprise. "Take us both down with one shot, why dontcha?" She stood up and high-fived Tanya across the desk in acknowledgment of that verbal takedown.

Cindy was looking a bit more darkly at Tanya, and then she started laughing. "Now I can't un-see Don as Maid of Honor." she spluttered. The office was filled with sustained laughter for several minutes at the image of the Iron Crowbar as Maid of Honor, in a dress...

Finally, Tanya said "I asked Christina Cho to be my Maid of Honor, and I'd be grateful if both of you would be Bridesmaids."

"That's a great idea." Teresa said. " You and Christina are such good friends."

"And it'll allow the 'tradition' to happen, too." said Cindy. When the other women looked at her, she said "You know, where the Best Man and the Maid of Honor have sex? Well... it is in the Queen's countries... England, Canada..."

"Oh yeah!" Tanya said. "Christina would fuck Don's balls off!" More laughter and fluttering of parakeets ensued...

Back in present time...

"You have my permission to fuck Christina." Laura said quietly after hearing that story. "And while you're at it... I heard that a couple of guys who work for her are pretty good in bed. I might just have to find out for myself."

"Why do I get the feeling this is being orchestrated?" I replied.

"Not much gets past you, Darling." Laura replied.

The Wedding Party consisted of Cindy, Teresa, and Mary Milton as Bridesmaids, and Christina as Maid of Honor; Julius Jefferson, Ashton Cardigan, and Ted Crenshaw as the Groomsmen, and me as the Best Man. Sheriff Griswold had agreed to Tanya's request to escort her down the aisle, and his quivering mustaches gave away the emotion he had felt at being asked.

One of the guests at the Dinner was Tim Jenkins. He approached me as everyone talked in the lobby before the dining room was opened. He asked "Any idea what was going on with that video?"

"No." I replied. "I was going to ask you if you've heard anything at the Federal level."

"I did hear one thing." said Jenkins. "Because of our pursuit of Organized Crime in the Southport area, I frequently talk to the FBI's Offices in New Orleans, Miami, Chicago, and New York City. And I've been told that it's all over the NYC office that the Rovers BAU team is laying the groundwork for the OPR to go after Jack Muscone for the murder of his brother."

As I peered at him, Jenkins said "I took interest, especially since that video of the car crash in Teresa's hometown was sent to Jack, and I was out there helping Cindy copy the old videotapes. There is absolutely nothing that could attach Jack to his brother's murder, except that Jack's brother is believed to have visited Jack on the last day he was seen alive by anyone."

"What did Jack say about that?" I asked.

"Nothing." said Jenkins. "They never interviewed Jack, even after his brother's body was found. So I don't know what they think they have. Knowing them, they'll try to create something, like they tried to do to you, and like the Fake News Media creates stories instead of just reporting the facts."

"Tell me this." I said. "Are other offices also talking about this?"

"No, just New York." said Jenkins. "And I'm not sure why they know all that. The Rovers Unit is not based there."

At that point, we were called to go into the dining room. As we went, I felt sure why the NYC office knew more than others, and why it was getting to Tim Jenkins: my daughter Greta's mother, Sandra Speer, was working in that NYC office now. And my only question is whether this was coming out to hurt Jack Muscone... or help him...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The FBI Groomsmen gave Jack Muscone a lot more grief in their speeches and toasts than I did. I mostly admonished him to take care of my Angel. On the Bride's side, there was a lot of lighthearted ribbing of Tanya for driving her wheelchair at high speeds, and things she'd done while with the State Crime Lab and the TCPD.

But it did get emotional when Teresa Croyle, the most-decorated officer on the Police Force, told everyone how much she admired Tanya for overcoming all her hardships to be a great Captain of Detectives, as well as to reach her wedding day...

Part 15 - The Wedding of the Century Redux

12:00 high noon, Saturday, March 28th. I was in the tent set up for the Groom and Groomsmen. Jack Muscone was outwardly calm, but I could see and sense that he was nervous inside.

"Don't we have some pictures to take, or something?" he asked.

"Relax, Jack." I said. "They'll start that in about an hour from now."

"I'm 'relaxing' now." said Jack. "I'd like to do something besides 'relax'. This waiting is killing me."

It's killing us, too, having to listen to this, I thought to myself. I curbed my irritation; I was restless, too.

A moment later, a young, slender man came into the tent. He was white, wiry slender, and his Deputy Sheriff uniform barely fit him properly. He was not the image of the Sheriff's Department I'd want to project, but he was also redheaded, which was about the only saving grace I could find in him.

"Commander Troy, sir," he said nervously, "there's an FBI Agent in the warehouse that wants to speak with you and Agent Muscone. He said his name was Agent Lange, sir. I'll take you to him, if that's okay sir."

"Sure." I said. "Something to keep you from being bored, Jack." I said.

"Thank Heaven for small favors." replied Jack.

As we walked up to the warehouse, I said "I don't remember seeing you before, Deputy."

"Yes sir." said the young man. "I'm Deputy Baker. I just started in January. And it's an honor to be working in this County with you, sir."

"The Sheriff is going to like you, I can tell." I said, thinking of Griswold's liking of asskissing.

We went into the back door of the warehouse. I looked around, seeing the grate that covered the spot where Irwin had come out of to save Todd's life. Then I saw a van with the logo of the wedding caterers. "Where's Lange?" I asked as I turned around. "Ho-lee shit!"

"What?" asked Muscone, turning around... to find three men pointing powerful handguns at us, one of them being Baker. The other two men were dressed in well-fitting suits and ties.

"Well, well, well." I said, recognizing them. "If it isn't Mort Springer and William Drew."

"Very good, Commander Troy." said the Springer, who was blonde and had a handsome face. If he were in movies, he could play Ragnar Danneskjöld, I thought to myself. "I'd say it's good to meet the great Iron Crowbar, but this isn't a happy occasion."

"I don't recall you two being invited to the wedding, either." I said.

"All the more reason we need to get the fuck out of here." said William Drew, who had brown hair and somewhat harder features than Springer. Both men were young, younger than me anyway, and obviously very well physically conditioned, having once been Navy SEALs. "Cuff 'em."

'Deputy Baker' moved behind me as Springer said "You have a lovely fiancée, Agent Muscone. Don't do anything stupid, or she's not going to survive her wedding day."

I allowed Baker to handcuff my hands behind my back. He then frisked me for weapons, finding my service weapon in its holster in the small of my back, which he removed. "What the hell is this?" he asked, feeling my 'girdle' around my back.

"It's a back brace." I said.

"Yeah, I heard about that." said Springer.

Muscone was handcuffed by Drew and searched, with no weapons found on him. Then we were marched to the van, and forced inside. Before the side door to the van closed, eyeless full-headed masks made of black cloth were put over our heads, shrouding us in complete darkness.

The van door closed and the engine started, and I felt the van starting into motion. I tried to keep up with the motion, and realized that the catering van was being driven out the rear entrance to the BOW Enterprises compound. The van briefly stopped, and I heard 'Baker' say "We're going to get another batch of hors d'oeuvres, and I'm running security for them." We were let through.

We turned right a couple of times, and I sensed we were going north on County Road 5. Then we turned left, and drove steadily. I heard the sound of us crossing the bridge that led to the State west of us, and Hammondsville.

After an interminable time of driving, in which no one spoke a word, we finally stopped. I heard a gate being opened, and the van drove through, then another minute of driving before stopping.

"No tricks, gentlemen." said Mort Springer. Our masks were taken off, and we were guided out of the van. I looked around. We were at a very small airport, next to a very small turboprop plane that would've been some kind of ride for a company executive, except that the skin was bare aluminum, and there were cargo boxes inside.

"Let's go." said Springer. "On the plane. Baker, you drive the van back to the pick-up point."

"Yes sir." said Baker, who went around to the driver's side of the van, and pulled out and drove away. As he did, I could see a fence at the end of the airport, due east. And beyond that fence was a rail yard. We're at the Hammondsville Railyards! I thought to myself.

"Where are you taking us?" Muscone barked. "I've got a wedding to get to."

"We'll make sure you're there right on time." said William Drew. He climbed aboard, and into the cockpit. Springer had his weapon pointed at us, and he waved it towards the door. We climbed aboard, and were made to sit side-by-side on the bench of the far side from the door. Springer pulled up the stairs and closed the door, and Drew started up the engines. Soon we were taxiing towards the runway.

I looked around. The back of the plane was packed with wooden crates and boxes. The crates were marked as military-grade explosives. Ah, I thought, these were taken from those railcars left behind after the conflicting manifests!

"So you did get the explosives off that train." I said.

"The boxes on the train are empty." said Springer. "We painted them exactly the same as the ones we took. I never cease to be amazed how plumb stoo-pid Federal Agents are."

Then I saw that the crates and boxes were wired together with detcord. Looking to my right, towards the cockpit, I saw two black bags with harnesses hanging next to the exit door. A chill went through me as I put it all together.

"Oh my God." I said quietly.

"What?" said Muscone.

"Those are parachutes." I said, nodding at the black bundles hanging by the door. "They weren't lying when they said they're going to deliver you to your wedding. They're going to crash this plane into the wedding, and kill everyone there..."

To be continued.