Preacher in Her Garden

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I would be honored to teach their class. But in order to have dinner tonight with the twins at a reasonable hour, we would have to cancel our visit to Mable Smithson."

"Mable Smithson?"

"She was the one I told you about, that used to play organ for our church. When the organ broke down and there was no money for repairs, she got upset and stopped coming. I talked to her earlier this morning and she said she is definitely still interested in coming back to church, but only if the organ is repaired. She would also bring her family. She had agreed to meet with us today at four to discuss it."

"Reschedule it for tomorrow for me, please Lynn."

Lynn nodded that she would and pulled out her notebook to make a note of it.

Henry's Family Diner & Grill was easy enough to find with the thirty foot neon sign looming so very brightly against the backdrop of an otherwise quiet Texas sky.

The twins also had no problem spotting it, once their father had parked, and spilled out of the car like a turned over bottle of milk. Steve had a hard time forcing them not to romp out of control into the half full restaurant and sighed sheepishly as he shrugged in the direction of an already smiling Lynn. "They're really looking forward to this night out."

"As am I," reassured Lynn, the chestnut brown hair Steve loved swept off to the right side of her astonishingly pretty face.

He pretended not to notice the generous cleavage afforded by her giant bulging breasts, glancing at her dangerous curves as she gently took his arm.

They walked together for about a minute as Steve felt his temperature rising, then he pointed the way to allow Lynn in front of him. She slipped out of his arm and then they followed the racing twins past the front door. As Steve opened the door for her he instinctively let his right hand press gently to her waist, symbolically guiding her inside. The gesture made Lynn feel exhilarated yet at the same time uncomfortable. She knew only too well that the gossip trade in Forest Grove was flourishing and never shy about shearing peoples reputations into absolute tatters.

Steve and Lynn started following a waitress to a quiet, secluded table off in a corner, but the twins had ambitious ideas of their own, racing for a roomy family sized booth next to the desert table, which overflowed with sundae sauces, nut toppings and an amazing variety of chocolate sprinkles. Steve and Lynn made eye contact with the waitress, who now signaled that the twins choice of tables was quite alright with her.

Once seated, the twins bounced aimlessly around the leather couch and proudly announced they had already decided to make identical selections, an assertion they made plain with delighted squeals to an approaching waitress. "Cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake," they both shouted in unison. "And we didn't even have to peek at the menus to choose," added a beaming Melanie, giggling to her sister as the waitress informed them the tempting desert table was free and all you could eat.

Steve was strictly a meat and potatoes kind of eater, but smart enough to know that some women like Lynn frowned upon being forced to watch red meat being devoured. Instead, he let her order first, and noted that her 'shrimp salad' and 'cream of broccoli soup' suggested he should hide his carnivorous ways, at least for the time being.

"I'll have the salmon with asparagus tips and some cauliflower soup."

"Sounds yummy," nodded Lynn approvingly, finding it refreshing to finally meet a man that didn't make it a practice to slice up mountainous sides of almost raw beef directly in front of her assaulted and discriminating palate.

"You're not having steak daddy?"

"Yeah, you always have steak daddy. What's saramon?"

"Ohhhh you are so busted, mister," laughed Lynn, "but even though your cover's blown, I still expect you not to change your order."

"I'll simply grin and bear it," offered Steve with a playful shrug.

"Speaking of grinning to bear it, are you sure you want to sell your car to buy a new church van? If we could just start up my Miracle Prayer Club, then nation wide donations could easily buy it for you, and even pay for those proposed church renos you had mentioned to me earlier."

Her question about the van caught Steve off guard, plummeting his jovial mood from a real high down into the gutters of doom and gloom. He understood only too well what her real intentions were, and that was to steer the conversation back into church affairs and then further back exclusively into the tricky topic of that which he dreaded most, her diabolical scheme to immerse his church knee deep in her Miracle Prayer Club.

"I was kind of hoping to avoid talking shop, so to speak, during our dinner," he sighed. "I mean, we have been at church business the whole day and-"

"You did mention earlier in the day you would like to put off talking about my Miracle Prayer Club idea until later tonight. Well...it is...you know...well, later tonight."

He bristled sharply at the corner she was painting him into and panicked as his nose began flaring and his pulse and breathing quickened. He had indeed promised her such a chat, but that was only to avoid actually discussing it at the time. A much more pressing topic on his agenda had been the startling fact he had already sized up the citizens of Forest Grove as being easily coerced into filling his hundred and twenty-five seats each Sunday. And, as Lynn had so aptly just pointed out, he had further sized up the church building as being also easily able to support church expansion renos that could add another seventy-five seats quite comfortably.

"You know Lynn, I have only been here two days, and already I can realistically envision God taking us from a our present fifty members to an astounding two hundred members. Doing that is going to obviously require a lot of effort, and so diverting attention away from that goal and onto getting your club idea up and running may only serve to ground both projects. I think we should at least wait until we have gotten those targeted two hundred members before-"

"Before you blow off my plans with some other feeble excuses?"

The sudden harshness in Lynn's tone did not escape the twins attention and they quickly directed both sets of big brown eyes into Lynn's pretty, but no longer smiling face.

Lynn could sense their sudden apprehension at a marvelous evening about to be ruined and she sympathized, having herself been the impetus for them being able to at least dream momentarily of regaining a mommy they once so desperately cherished. Yet Steve had already sternly laid down the gauntlet, and had even tried to diplomatically kill off her ideas. She wasn't about to just take it lying down.

"Are you going to fight with daddy now?"

Melanie's question could not be taken back, and quickly hung off of Lynn's neck like a millstone. She watched apprehensively as the eyes of both seven year olds were in danger of watering over.

"Daddy's not as bad as he seems once you get used to him."

"Yeah, you just gotta get used to him, that's all."

"Yeah, you just gotta get used to me, that's all," chimed in Steve, amazed at how his two little girls had managed to diffuse the tension, if at least only temporarily. The rest was up to Lynn now, for her temper was already seething to the point of boiling over. She dug down deeply within and somehow found the grace to bite her tongue and smile as well, noting just how incredibly adorable his twins could be.

"I suppose we could talk about this another time," offered Lynn, feeling as though she'd merely postponed a funeral of sorts by temporarily dressing up an ice cold corpse instead of immediately putting it into the ground where it belonged. "But it had better have more positive results," she warned ominously.

"We'll talk about it again soon, Lynn, I promise." His words did little to sooth her but his warm, gentle hand, sliding across the table and unexpectedly taking hold of her two clasped hands in a gesture of comfort, caught her pleasantly off guard. A sudden warmth swept along her trembling arm and then thundered along her suddenly tingling spine, urging her to uncharacteristically want to kiss a man she had only known for two short days. Yet, he was a man that she found could be both intolerably stubborn as well as totally infuriating. He was, however, incredibly handsome, and seemed to sport an amazing musculature under his clothes that she knew probably had women drooling should he ever put on swim trunks.

He felt the urge to kiss as well and started to lean forward, unable to put on the brakes until his moist, handsome, yet trembling mouth was already half way to its intended target. He stopped suddenly and awkwardly then retreated with his lips to the safer confines of the soft leather couch behind him.

"You...you were going to kiss me just now?" She sounded astonished but he somehow knew in his gut she felt exactly the same way as he did.

"I don't know what came over me," he whispered, clearly mortified.

"You shouldn't have stopped," she asserted, her face flush, her pulse racing and her breath noticeably quickened. "I know it's only been two days since we met, but it's what's in the heart that's important, not-"

"Kissing leads to other things," he interrupted, "things like more kissing and talk of commitment and well, marriage."

"It's only a kiss," she sighed. "You make it all sound so sinister."

"Some things you just can't step back from once you've crossed the line. Feelings are better off taking months or even years to develop, but two days doesn't leave much time for two people to get acquainted."

"Mommy used to kiss daddy," piped in Madeline, her jaws working furiously on a wad of gum that had long since lost it flavor.

Steve's face reddened immediately. "You shouldn't eavesdrop, Madeline, it's not polite."

"What's eabsdrop mean?"

"It means you girls are being nosy and listening to things when your ears should be closed," Steve explained.

Madeline laughed. "Ears don't have doors on them daddy. How can you close them?"

"Like this silly," giggled Melanie, pressing her palms to her ears.

Suddenly a woman approached, and Lynn's stomach began to churn at the sight of one of the biggest gossipers in Forest Grove.

"My, my my, if it isn't the town's newest world class gardener, Lynn, coming to us all the way from the Caribbean, and now holding hands no less with...the new preacher I presume? Hmm...what's next I wonder?"

Steve turned to see a middle aged blonde woman peering directly at Lynn with her arms folded and her mouth chiseled into a mischievous grin.

"Nothing's next, Susan. And it's not very flattering to be spying on people and then sneaking up on them just because they are having an innocent little dinner."

Steve realized his hand was still extended across the table and quickly withdrew it from Lynn's grasp. "I was just commenting to Lynn, my new church secretary, how nice it was to be showing me around on just the second day of my coming to town."

Susan eyed Lynn carefully and jealously. The anticipated arrival of the handsome widowed preacher, had been big news for the many single women seeking a husband in the man starved confines of Forest Grove. "Just two short days and Lynn here already has you holding her hand. I must say Lynn, I'm impressed. You certainly don't believe in letting the grass grow under your feet, do you?"

"Listen Susan, you nosy parker, we've been on only official church business, not that it is any of your concern. And you already know how I spend all my time in my garden, anyways. Which reminds me, you promised to stop by sometimes this week to help me with some weeding and trimming. The county's annual floral contest is only a week away."

"Shall we make it Friday sometime in the morning? You can tell me then, all about your hand holding with the new pastor here."

"Please, call me Steve."

"I intend to," she shot back playfully.

"Nothing to tell," shrugged Lynn.

"I'll be the judge of that. Well I better be getting along. Don't want to stop you two from holding hands for too long, now do I? Well it was nice meeting you Steve."

Steve watched her exit and made a mental note that pasturing in Forest Grove might present more mine fields than he had originally anticipated.

Chapter Three

The twins were out of bed first, bounding down the stairs like two wide-eyed monkeys as they swung off the banister railing and flew into the kitchen. Melanie poured out some cheerios while Madeline opted for frosted flakes.

"Do you think she'll be our teacher for real?"

"She promised us didn't she?"

"Adults don't always keep their promises."

"Mom always did."

"You think Miss Lynn wants to be our mom?"

"Course she does. She says we're 'dorible."

"Whatcha think 'dorible means?"

"Must be sompin' good cause she always smiles when she says it."

"You ladies up already? I can't ever recall you getting up so early on a church morning before."

"We wanna be on time. Miss Lynn promised to be our Sunday School teacher."

Steve frowned. "Hmmm, don't you two know you should want to be on time no matter who is your teacher?"

"Say dad? What's 'dorible mean?"

"Nevermind, just you-"

The knock at the door was loud and generous. Steve supposed it was Tyler Jenson, looking for the keys to the new church van. Steve had promised him $30 each way if he brought in a van load to church from the reservation.

"Good day preacher. I've a come like ah promised."

"Here are the keys Tyler. There's plenty of gas in 'er so don't you go frettin' yourself none. The envelope with your sixty dollars is in the glove compartment."

"Ah, about that. I would prefer to just leave that sixty where it is and instead have you let me post a notice on the community bulletin board about my melon patch. Harvest time is here and I am letting 'em go pretty cheap at just two for five dollars. It's always best for a person to pick their own I always say, saves both my costs and theirs."

"That would be perfectly fine with me Tyler. Just you post away on that old bulletin board to your heart's content."

Tyler eyed him suspiciously, wondering what the possible catch could be. "The last pastor we had was dead set agin postin' anythin' dat wasn't of a spiritual nature. He only allowed home bible studies and prayer meetin's ta git posted. I couldn't make a dime off him no matter how I tried."

"Well, the Lord wants all of us to prosper, and that will be my message one of these days, so don't you worry none 'bout it. As a matter of fact, I don't mind also putting in a word for you at the end of church. I can make a special announcement about your ready to pick melons if you like?"

"Wow, I would be really grateful. You know, you ain't notin' like that last preacher we had. You're not stiff at all. Much obliged if you could do like you said. Remember, only two fer five dollars."

"Two for five dollars it is."

As Tyler exited the door, an earth shattering crackle in the sky tore a strip off of Steve's nerves. A quick glance upwards as the door was closing told him that black clouds were circling and getting ready to put a real damper on his big Sunday morning debut as the new pastor. He then remembered that Freddy, the local weatherman, had predicted only the day before, that "glorious buckets of sunshine, would be greeting the Lord's day." Steve's heart now sunk at the realization that glorious buckets of rain were no doubt certain to be falling instead.

Lynn was nervous about the weather too, and as she rounded the corner and pulled into Steve's driveway, her heart also sank at the realization gossipers were sure to make big news out of her carrying Steve to and from church. The trade in on his luxury car had produced the state of the art church van he was hoping for, but left him without a car to get around in for at least a week until he could find a suitable cheap used car to buy.

Lynn managed to stay under the canopy all the way to the door, as huge droplets began to splash onto the thirsty pavement.

"Lynn, you're early."

"Yep, just in time to see it rain on your parade debut. I sure hope the torrential downpour coming any moment now, won't stop people from coming out."

"I'm sure those God has ordained to come out will do just what God put in their hearts to do."

"You're such an optimist."

"God brings out the best in me."

"What will your first message be about?"

"Message?"

"Yeah, you know message. What will you preach about?"

Steve turned white as a sheet. "Oh my goodness. You know with all the running around this week, I totally forgot to prepare something. But, I am pretty good at just working off the cuff, so winging it comes natural for me. Wait a minute...I did just now mention to Tyler about one day preaching on the virtues of prospering in God. God wants us to prosper in every area of our lives. Hmmm...that would make a good message. It's a little materialistic for a first Sunday, but a real crowd pleaser nonetheless."

"And maybe afterwards, when you've finished shaking hands at the door, and thanking everyone for coming out in such horrid weather, you could bring the twins by my place so I can treat them to some yummy pasta and home baked apple pie."

Lynn's dinner invitation caught Steve off guard and sent his alarmist, sixth senses reeling. And yet, he could not stop his head from nodding yes nor his lips from forming the words "that would be wonderful." It suddenly dawned on him that he and Lynn had spent almost every waking moment together since his arrival. It also dawned on him that their constant being together, provided much fodder for loud mouth gossipers and, no doubt, provided hope to the twins that a new mommy for them was just over the horizon. There was also the issue of his finicky heart, falling hook line and sinker for the absolutely gorgeous brown haired Caribbean beauty. What if nothing materialized, and Lynn found someone else, leaving his love sick heart twisting in the wind? He extended the door wider to offer shelter from the sound of merciless rain pellets drumming on the protective canopy above her head. She declined to step inside.

"I'll just wait in the car for you and the twins," beamed Lynn. "We should leave as soon as possible. It's a twenty minute drive to the church from here but with almost zero visibility from the wind swept rains, it might take us over half hour."

"That sounds wise," nodded Steve. "I'll grab the girls and we'll be out in five."

The canopy extended to Lynn's driver side door and so her exposure to the pelting rains was limited. She dove past the unlocked door and nestled herself into the comfy, luxury leather seats. An uneasy feeling began to sweep over her as the rains pounded more ferociously now, lashing out with displeasure at being held captive by mighty swirling winds that forced them to hit the ground from every direction. Her carrying the new preacher to church and then back to her home for dinner would not go unnoticed by either the eagle-eyed parishioners or the long nosed townsfolk. And of course, there was always the issue of her leading Steve on the way she had, telling him so unadvisedly that he should indeed have kissed her, when the urge so uncontrollably took hold of him at the restaurant only a few days earlier.

Thunder suddenly cackled across the sky, its explosion jarring Lynn back to the here and now. She sighed and looked deep within herself to see if that still small voice of reason was in operation today. Whether the voice came from God or whether it came from her own tumultuous thoughts, she knew she was in desperate need of a wake up call. She had seen the longing and admiration in Steve's eyes and wondered if leading him on would be wise if she herself had not at least sorted out her own feelings. Trying to illicit a kiss for her gorgeous, full mouth would not be without its ramifications. She might look on it as merely exploratory or a chance for a church going woman to electrify her love starved lips, but for Steve, she knew the stakes would be higher. He seemed to be falling for her hard and Lynn knew why that was.

123456...9