Private Practice Ch. 01

Story Info
Attending a formal dinner; a new case for the Team.
22.1k words
4.86
7k
8

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 12/07/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

There may or may not be discussion of political issues in my stories. If you are a Snowflake that feels you need to be protected from any mention of politics, then click the Back button now, and never attempt to read any of my stories ever again. You've been warned.

***

(Author's note: If you have not read 'Break-In', it is suggested that you do so before reading this story. This story is partly a continuation of that ongoing saga.)

Part 1 - Prologue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, August 20th, from the anchor desk inside the KXTC studios, with a photo of the Courthouse on the screen as her background. "The trial of Commander Donald Troy is imminent!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that District Attorney Miriam Walters's lawsuit against Police Commander Donald Troy is slated to begin on Monday, August 23d, in the Courtroom of Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom. D.A. Walters sued Commander Troy over his unilaterally making binding plea deal agreements without consulting the D.A.'s Office, much less obtaining their consent."

Bettina: "Unlike Judges Franklin Washington and Rodney K. Watts, who are ultra-Conservatives, Judge Folsom is a fair and balanced judge that will decide the case on the merits. Legal experts believe that D.A. Walters will easily prevail in the case."

Bettina: "And the trial of Stanley Locklear for two counts of first degree murder is slated to begin in early September. For more on this important trial, let's go to trusted political reporter Carl Lemay for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the relatively tall, slender black reporter as the feed switched to him standing on the the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with the Courthouse complex in his distant background. "There are two important legal concepts on trial along with Stanley Locklear. First is the 'Castle Doctrine', and second is the 'Stand Your Ground' law."

Lemay: "The 'castle doctrine' says that within one's own home, one has the right to use force, including lethal or deadly force, to defend one's home. This contradicts what's known as the 'duty to retreat' concept, which states that someone is required to retreat to safety, if it is possible, before using lethal force."

Lemay: "The 'stand your ground' laws go even further in contradicting the 'duty to retreat' requirement, and states that a person may use lethal force anywhere they legally are permitted to be, if they are under threat. Our State does have a 'stand your ground' law, pushed through the State Legislature by deeply unpopular White Nationalist Governor Val Jared in his first year in office."

Lemay: "In an exclusive interview with KXTC Channel Two News, ADA Savannah Fineman says that Stanley Locklear had the obligation, the duty, to retreat to safety rather than use lethal force. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Savannah Fineman in her office being interviewed, saying "I will show the Jury that the defendant could have retreated to safety rather than go for a gun, and that he had an obligation to do so. I will also show that the two men he shot dead were unarmed and were not committing a crime, further negating the necessity to use lethal force."

Fineman: "And I will also show that the defendant had premeditative intent, making this a first degree murder case. I'm adding the special circumstance that Locklear used a gun to murder those man, and I'll be going for the Death Penalty for that."

Carl Lemay: "Is just using a gun enough to add 'special circumstances'? I don't recall that being the case before."

Fineman: "I'm using this case to establish that legal precedent. Anyone that is not a Government agent that uses a gun to kill another person should be executed for using the gun to commit the crime."

Back to Carl Lemay live: "ADA Fineman also said in that interview that Police Commander Donald Troy's edict to refuse to help her in her efforts to prosecute the crime will not stop her from getting a solid conviction. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Carl!" said Bettina as the feed returned to her. "That was trusted political reporter Carl Lemay with that important story. And now let's bring in our Society reporter Elsie Gringer, hostess of the popular 'Elsie's Society Page' podcast."

The camera panned out to show Elsie Gringer sitting at the anchor desk with Bettina, and sharp-eyed Detectives like myself could easily see that they were related by blood; indeed, Elsie was Bettina's aunt.

"Welcome, Elsie." Bettina said. "So the University is hosting a very big and important event?"

"Yes, Bettina, and thank you for having me on this morning." said Elsie. She turned to the camera and said brightly: "University President Jerry Moore and his wife Celeste will be hosting a major reception at the President's Home tonight, Friday, August 20th. This will be the first really big, formal event since Dr. Moore took over the University Presidency at the end of the last School year."

Elsie: "The gala affair will be a formal, black-tie event, as the University Journalism School will be announcing the creation of the new Keith Madden Award for Courage in Journalism, and awarding it to its first two recipients, Timothy Geiger and the late Keith Madden himself."

Elsie: "University Trustees and Officials, senior Faculty, and senior Journalists have been invited, and it will be a wonderful evening for everyone as we look forward to seeing how the Moore's throw a party..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oooo-weeee! Formality!" gushed Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone as she, Sheriff Griswold, Your Iron Crowbar, Chief Moynahan, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Chief Deputy Cindy Ross drank coffee and watched the propaganda-cast in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Are you going?" asked Cindy Ross, her voice sounding surprised.

"No, I wasn't invited." Tanya said. "You?"

"No." Cindy said. "Thank goodness. I'm sure Don will go with Laura, though." As I nodded, Cindy said "Teresa, are you going?"

"Todd 'plus-one' was invited, as were all the Trustees." said Teresa. "So yes, I'll be going with him. Don, are we wearing civvies or our uniforms?"

I said "I'll have to check with Laura, and get back to you. She usually dictates what would be appropriate at gatherings like these. And I'll let Joanne Warner, know, too."

Teresa said "She won't be there. Seth wasn't invited." As I looked at her in total shock, she said "That's right, the University Hospital Administrator was not invited, nor were any of the Hospital Board Members, including me. I'm going only as Todd's 'plus one'."

Cindy said "Teresa, you should wear a thong bikini and clear plastic high heels. That would set Elsie's podcast en fuego." We all laughed.

"What, do I look like a competitor in those 'Miss Physical America' events?" Teresa fired back, naming the fitness competition circuit the Green Crowbar had once been a part of. We chuckled at that, too.

"Hell, I'd go beg for an invitation, just to see that." barked Our Sheriff, to more laughter.

"You weren't invited, Sheriff? What about you, Chief?" I asked.

"Noooo." said Chief Moynahan. "And like Mizzz Ross said, 'thank goodness!'."

"No, I wasn't." said the Sheriff. "No big deal, but I was surprised that Mayor Allgood and Melina weren't invited. The Wellmans always invited them and the Council Members to really big events like these. And with it being Dr. Moore's first such event, I'd have thought they'd have been invited."

"It's a newwwww errrrahhh." drawled the Chief.

"Changing the subject," said Tanya, to change the subject, "What are we expected to think about Bettina labeling our two black Superior Court Judges 'ultra-Conservative'?"

I said with a grin "She couldn't call them 'White Nationalists', now could she?" Then I got serious: "But it's a disturbing trend in the Media, both locally and nationally. They are aiding and abetting the Left, if not leading them, in saying that Judges or Courts that don't make rulings in jackbooted lockstep with their Leftist views are 'ultra Conservative' or even worse... they're a (air quotes) 'threat to our Democracy'."

Chief Moynahan said "I'm more worr-eeeed about this Locklear triallll. Fineman is using this case... and a man's life... to attack long-established doctrines of self-defense, especially in one's hommmme."

"The Death Penalty?" Sheriff Griswold barked. "Really? The death penalty for self-defense?"

Teresa said "And Savannah made sure to take a potshot at Don for telling the TCPD to not help Savannah. Could that hurt cases in the future?"

Cindy said "That might get resolved in the near future. I heard that Miriam Walters wants to hire at least one more ADA, maybe two. Then maybe she'll have Savannah be in a more supervisory role, and the TCPD can help the other ADAs, eh?" (That was a Canadian 'eh', there.)

I said "But if Miriam supports Fineman to the level she is supporting her now, then she'll let Fineman continue with her antics. But this is new... Fineman has taken a hard Left turn, and brought politics into this case. Miriam will definitely have to decide if she wants to be a part of that turn to the Left, or not. Miriam's re-election will depend on her decision..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:45am, Friday, August 20th. After the Angels Meeting, Chief Deputy Ross said "Tanya, Teresa, can we have a private chat between just us ladies? Maybe in your office, Tanya, if I can impose?"

"Sure." Tanya said.

"Man-free Angels meetings, eh?" I said, just a wee bit sarcastically. Then I said "Actually, that'll give me a chance to call Laura about this freeking dinner with our University President on Friday. Y'all go ahead." My Angels did not waste time exiting my office.

Once in Tanya's office, with Cindy and Teresa on the sofa against the wall that faced her desk, and her parked in front of her desk facing them, Cindy said "The Friday before last, August 6th, Tanya, you and Jack had a meeting with Don, is that right?" (Author's note: 'Deliver Us From Evil', Ch. 03.)

"Yes." Tanya said. "I think that's when Jack told Don that Cardinal O'Leery committed 'suicide like Epstein' in City Jail. Why?"

Cindy said "At the same time, EAD Owen Lange talked with the Chief. Sheriff Griswold told me yesterday what it was about, and while he expects me to keep it in confidence, I know that if I tell you, it will not leave this room."

"Your bug-killer or mine?" Teresa asked.

"Mine is already on." Cindy said. The other women nodded, and Cindy began: "During the Cardinal O'Leery case, Don beat the shit out of an FBI Agent, Cabe Andrews. Don hurt him pretty bad. Cracked a rib, bad soft tissue bruising on his lung, and gave him back spasms." (Author's note: 'Deliver Us From Evil', Ch. 02.)

Teresa said "That's not as bad as what I was about to do to him."

Cindy: "Don't say stuff like that out loud. And where I'm going with this is that the other Federal Agents at the scene didn't do much, and let Don walk away. But Andrews and Peter Page complained to the Brass in Washington. They want to sue Don, as well as criminally charge him."

"Then why haven't they?" Tanya asked, peering at Cindy.

Cindy said "There was some question whether or not Andrews had goaded Don, and a surprising number of Federal Agents at the scene, including ATF Agents Nancy Harding and Powers Lane, did not corroborate what Andrews and Page said. And they kind of let Don off at the scene by having him agree to let them take Geiger with them."

Teresa said "And then Don arranged to have Geiger represented by one of the most powerful lawyers in The City."

"True that." Cindy said. "Anyhoo, Owen Lange was telling the Chief that violent, physical confrontations between Don and Federal Agents, like that one, and like the one at Beverly's Flower Shop, can no longer be tolerated. If it happens again, they may or may not file criminal charges, but they will definitely be making a 'conduct unbecoming' complaint with the Town & County Inspector General's Office."

"That's all?" Teresa asked dismissively.

"Don't underestimate it." Tanya said. "Don could conceivably be suspended while the investigation is conducted, and it might take months."

"And it's Owen Lange making that threat?" Teresa said, then added bitterly: "So he's turning to the Swamp Frogs, too?"

Cindy said "Or trying to help by warning the Chief in advance. Anyhoo, the Sheriff is going to talk to Don, but we need to help make sure the Swamp Frogs don't goad Don into doing something--- er, Tanya?"

She could see as well as sense the reaction from Tanya, and saw that the Deputy Chief was in what they'd call a 'reverie'. After a moment, Tanya snapped out of it.

"I think I know what's going on." Tanya said. "And I really do need both of you to not utter a single word to anyone about this. Not to your spouses, not to Don, not to the Chief, not to the Sheriff..."

"Okay." Cindy said. Teresa nodded in agreement.

Tanya said "During that meeting the Friday before last, Don outright suggested to Jack to retire from the FBI. We all know that AG Derrick B. Harland has politically weaponized and totally corrupted the FBI, and Don can see what's going on. Don has also suggested to Jack to consider retirement on other occasions, as well."

Teresa said "It wouldn't hurt my feelings, either, if Jack retired."

Tanya said "Believe me, Jack and I have had the conversation a number of times. But we also talked about something else, and agreed it was something Jack had to do. And it's the reason Jack has not left the FBI yet."

She took a breath, then said "Jack contacted our U.S. Senators Richard Nunn and Lorraine McGill, and was put in touch with two of the most senior U.S. Senators in the Senate. And Jack has told them everything, from Swamp Frog shenanigans, to using the FBI to investigate and harass Conservatives like Governor Marshall and Don, to him and his team being harassed and threatened for refusing to go along with Derrick B. Harland's radical agenda."

"Wowwww." Teresa said. "That means..."

"Yep." Tanya confirmed. "Jack has officially become... a whistleblower. And so has EAD Owen Lange..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

8:50am, Friday, August 20th. With my Angels in secret session in Tanya's office, I had three 'Junior Angels' in my office, as ADA Paulina Patterson, Captain of Detectives Claire Michaels, and Lieutenant Mary Milton had invited themselves in as the others left. Mary's pregnancy was really showing; she was due to have her baby in four to six weeks. They were offered coffee before sitting down, and they took advantage of the offer and filled the mugs they had either brought in or borrowed.

"Not kissing ass when I say this, sir," said Claire, "but I like your coffee better than anyone else's. It's not too strong, and it's not the consistency of mud like some make it around here."

"The Sheriff would give you a medal for your asskissing skills." I said. "And Susan Weston would gripe that he's giving medals away like candy. Soooo, Paulina, I'm always glad to see you, but what brings you to my humble office today?"

Paulina said "I just wanted to give y'all a heads-up on the upcoming Stanley Locklear trial. Judge Patrick R. Folsom had a meeting in his Chambers at the request of Defense counsel Michael Thomas McGill. Both sides had been required to give the Judge and each other their witness lists, and Mr. McGill was accusing Savannah Fineman of not giving the whole list or being deceptive."

Paulina: "Mr. McGill said that Dr. Peter Frost's name was not on the list. Savannah said she did not intend to call Dr. Frost to the stand. Michael then played his ace, and asked Judge Folsom to bar Dr. Frost from being able to be called at all, as he believed Savannah was going to call him at the very last minute."

Paulina: "This is very important because, as you know, Dr. Frost was the Locklear's marriage counselor and also saw Mrs. Locklear after Mr. Locklear stopped going to the counseling. As a psychologist, he and Mrs. Locklear both are claiming doctor-client privilege. But if he were to testify, Michael McGill intends to use that as grounds to subpoena the records of their counseling sessions, and also force Dr. Frost and Mrs. Locklear to testify to what was said in those counseling sessions."

I said "Smart thinking. And if Dr. Frost's name is on the witness list, I can assure you that We the Police will also be using that as grounds to subpoena those records."

Paulina said "Exactly. And Savannah argued against Dr. Frost being unable to be called at all, to the point Judge Folsom told her to put his name on the list or he'd issue the ruling the Defense wanted."

"Annnnd?" I asked when she paused.

Paulina said. "Savannah asked to be given until Monday morning, so that she could consult with her boss, D.A. Miriam Walters, and also with Dr. Frost and Mrs. Locklear. Judge Folsom agreed, and said she had until 9:00am Monday, August 23d, and if she didn't formally put Frost's name on the witness list, he would not allow Frost to be called up by the Prosecution at all."

"Is that good or bad?" asked Mary.

I replied "It's good, I think. Michael McGill and my attorney Mike G. Todd work for the same law firm, so you won't be surprised that I heard that McGill was really expecting Savannah to try that dirty trick, to have her cake and eat it too. He thinks she wants Dr. Frost to take the stand, where he can confirm Marla's possibly untrue testimony, but she didn't want to put his name on the witness list, and would bring him up as a last-minute surprise, in order to keep secret the actual records of his sessions with Marla, as they may contradict what Marla will testify to."

Claire Michaels said "That brings up something I wanted to ask about, and I'm glad you're here to ask, Paulina. When I was in the LAPD, if we had a problem like doctor-client privilege, medical records, or classified material, we'd fill out paperwork to petition the Court to appoint a Special Master that could look at the records in question and decide which ones, if any, could be released. Could we do something like that here?"

Paulina said "That normally is a Federal thing, and this is not a Federal case. California has well-written rules as well as precedent about doing that at the State level. Our State passed a law to permit Special Masters about 30 years ago, but a legal challenge to a case where it was used in The City was successful, and the conviction based on it was overturned, and there have been no real attempts to try it again at the State level. I suppose we could try it, and say that previous case was just for that case alone, and therefore not general precedent."

I said "How long would that take? I know that Special Masters at the Federal level could take weeks, unless there's a huge amount of publicity, like a former President being railroaded over classified documents by Derrick B. Harland's weaponized FBI and DOJ."