Project - Prometheus Ch. 37

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fine! I will help you reach these lands, but I expect a hefty price increase!" Dagan growled.

"We would expect nothing less, good sir. When do we muster out?" Inari queried.

"In a few hours. The rover is in need of a tuneup, as the lands you wish to traverse are quite rough. Meet me and my men at the rover depot in four hours," the captain said as he revved up the machine and left the crew with their ship.

"You good from here, Zuzanna?" Inari asked, addressing the woman as she gathered her med kit.

"Yeah, but would you mind if I came aboard? While the people here know me, I still don't wander about on my own. Besides, I'd like to discuss that burn salve some more with Doctor Korsa. If that's all right?" the blonde woman wondered.

"It's all right with me. Alex?" Inari queried, looking up at the big man.

"Yeah, all right. Come on aboard. If Inari vouches for you, then I say you are welcome," Alex stated.

Zuzanna smiled as she joined the crew as they headed over to the descending ramp. Alex cleared the young doctor with the Sentries, allowing her passage without being shot. As the ramp lowered, they were greeted by a bedraggled looking Taal'ani. She stood there in slippers, an oversized shirt that covered her to her knees and a mug of java in one hand.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," Alex chuckled.

"Oh no, puns?? Please don't!" Taal'ani groaned.

"Late night?" Priya asked, already sure of the answer.

"Up all night interrogating some scumbags we found while helping Daved with an investigation," she told the group, looking more than a little miffed.

"You look like you could use some more beauty sleep," Kasumi teased.

"Not only was I dealing with scumbags, I've only had a maybe an hour's worth of sleep, due to having an overactive boyfriend. Leave me alone," Taal'ani groaned.

The women snickered amongst themselves as they climbed the ramp, as Taal'ani reeked of sex. They had been told that Artucian men were more than a handful and needed nookie frequently. Taal'ani was more than up to the task at first, but it was clear that she was a looking a little frazzled. Though it was likely a combination of Tahral's ardor and the odd hours they were keeping that was wearing the woman down.

"Hey there, babe! I was wondering where you'd got to!" Tahral said as he ambled up behind the woman, looking a bit weary himself. Not far behind him, both Aesha and the deputy Willem joined them.

"Didn't expect to see a deputy onboard the Darkstrider. When did this happen?" Alex queried, catching Willem's attention.

"A few hours ago. The kid escorted us through town and rather than run the risk of him getting jumped on his way back home, we let him crash here for a bit. At Aesha's invitation," Taal'ani informed the crew. Everyone then turned to look at Aesha, who looked back at them and blushed slightly.

"What? We can't show a little hospitality to the locals?" she wondered. Alex smirked while the women of the crew giggled silently, able to tell that she snu-snuued the guy.

"I vouch for this kid, as well. Was wondering if you'd grow up to be a lawman, like you said you would, Willem," Inari smiled.

"You know my name?" he asked.

"Of course, I do! I remember back when you were in short pants! Though you have more than outgrown them, and now fit those belonging to a young man," Inari snickered.

"Wait... Auntie Nari?!?" Willem asked, goggle eyed.

"You remember!" Inari replied, her smile warming her voice.

"Bits and pieces, but yeah! It's good to have you back!" Willem smiled as he walked over and gave the woman a hug. Inari was a bit surprised by it, but she hugged the boy back, happy to see that someone on Prodosia remembered her fondly.

"You lot are going to want to get inside. We've got a lot to talk about and I don't want folk knowing our business," Taal'ani informed them.

Nodding, the crew hustled their asses in, the ramp closing in behind them. They adjourned to the lounge, where Delilah had set out some eats for the returning crew, on the off chance they were hungry. More than a little ravenous, the crew went to town on the cobbled together breakfast, wolfing down every morsel. Once they were done with eating, everyone sat there with mugs of coffee or tea, listening to what Taal'ani and the rest of them had learned.

"Fuck! You'd think they'd have learned their lesson after getting smacked around like they did all those years ago," Priya griped.

"I thought so too! I mean, I know the Confederacy wanted these worlds, but after the devastation that happened, I thought there would be nothing here for them," Zuzanna agreed.

"Regardless, it obvious those fuckheads didn't get the memo! If infiltrators are here and operating on Prodosia, then it's clear that something else has drawn them here," Inari stated.

"I am inclined to agree. You don't send deep cover agents to a shithole planet for no good reason. The only question is what has piqued their interest all of a sudden?" Alex wondered.

"Well, the only way I see us getting an answer for that is finding a Confed agent and putting the screws to them until they talk. At least, that's what I would do," Shazza told the group.

"We will get around to doing just that. The only catch is finding a Confed operative first. Can't snatch any of the council members, as they are important officials and will be missed. Any ideas on where to look for more of them?" Kasumi asked.

"There is a dealer and corrupt deputy that we took into custody, but we've been at it all night with them. From what we could discern, they don't know much. Only the basics," Tahral responded.

"Keeping things on a need to know basis. Typical move with the Confeds. Keep the peons in the dark, while the ones in charge delegate the orders," Zuzanna replied.

"Something you remember from your days of service?" Priya jabbed.

"You could say that. I assume you told your crew about what I used to be?" Zuzanna asked Inari. The captain nodded and everyone was looking at the woman expectantly before Natalya broke the ice.

"As a former Confederacy soldier, you must know something about how they operate," Natalya posed.

"Hardly. I was a military doctor, usually kept in the medbay of whatever ship or field hospital I found myself in, treating the wounded and the dying. Didn't take much time for playing politics with the other officers," Zuzanna clarified. "But Alex is right."

"Oh? About what?"

"About the Confederacy taking an interest in Prodosia again. They wouldn't invest anything here; time, resources, operatives, unless there was something substantial to gain from it. They don't waste time anywhere, focusing only on places where they stand to gain anything of value to them," the young doctor responded.

"Regardless, there is a slight tactical advantage here. They don't know we're onto them. If they knew, then we'd have such agents looking to take us down, no matter the risk," Inari stated.

"That is true. Such operatives won't act or carry out any direct attacks unless their intel is solid and confirmed. Any reckless actions would blow their cover for sure," Natalya agreed.

"In that case, Taal'ani," Alex said, getting the woman's attention. "You continue with your investigation that Sheriff Daved has you on. Any intel you can gather on the Confeds and what they're up to will help us out immensely."

"Understood," she replied.

"Also, Inari and Priya will be accompanying you during said investigation. While I know you have the firepower necessary to get the job done, it helps to have additional sets of living eyes around too," Alex told her.

"I think I could help with that," Zuzanna offered. When Alex turned to look at her, she elaborated. "I've been around Tanith's Gully for some years now, and everyone here knows me. I've helped many people who've lived here with whatever health problems they've had. People might be more inclined to talk if they see me around."

Alex glanced over at Inari and Priya and received a nod from both women, granting their assent. He could sense there was something going on between those two, but knew better than to involve himself in anyone's personal affairs. The man then turned back to the blonde woman and spoke his piece.

"That's a sound plan. All right then, doctor, you will accompany them and if they need any medical aid, you will render it."

"Thank you!" she replied, smiling.

"Since we're not due to meet up with Captain Dagan Min for a while yet, I suggest that everyone here gets themselves some rack time. Both teams have long and busy days ahead of them, and likely eventful ones. Get some sleep and we'll reconvene in a few hours," Alex stated.

The crew nodded and headed off for their rooms, each one eager for some more sleep. Taal'ani and her group most of all, as they had barely gotten any real rest since boarding the ship. The main crew of the ship, while rested, were a bit kinked from sleeping rough. While they had plenty of time for sleep, sleeping on the ground made for a tough time getting any proper rest.

Korsa and Zuzanna headed down to the medbay first to check in on the prisoner. When they walked into the room, the women heard an unending stream of expletives being uttered at the Sentries.

"You cock sucking robots! Can't you hear what the fuck I'm saying? Let me go, you highly polished pieces of shit!" the man yelled.

"Speaking in that tone of voice isn't the way to command our Sentries, I'll have you know. Besides, it's not like they'd listen to you anyway," Korsa chuckled as she ambled over to the man.

"You can't keep me like this, you know. My friends will come for me!" Bailey growled.

"Odds are that they'd probably wind up shot just like you have been. Now sit still while we make you sure your wounds have healed," Zuzanna ordered the man in a crisp voice.

The man looked like he would disobey, but Korsa cleared her throat, catching his attention. She then crossed her arms, making the muscles on her arms pop out more, which put the man off a little. Never having seen a Khontaran woman before, he gulped silently as Zuzanna checked his vitals. He knew a warrior when he saw one and though Korsa was a doctor, he knew she could take him out without so much as blinking.

"He took some serious hits! Are you sure this is the same man?" Zuzanna asked after consulting the chart that was in the datapad she was holding as they shuffled away from the grumbling man.

"Yeah. We just happen to have some more exotic toys to work with than most people do," Korsa said nonchalantly.

"I'll tell you, I wouldn't mind some of these toys myself!" Zuzanna laughed as she handed the Korsa the datapad.

"Doctor Korsa?" a voice called out.

"Who is that?" Zuzanna asked, thinking she hadn't met a crew member yet.

"Oh, that's just Jaesa, my android medical assistant. You can come in, Jaesa," Korsa called out, aware that the AI had been listening to them the whole time.

"I sensed movement and thought I'd see what was going on," the AI replied, as she stepped into the room with the doctors.

"Just checking on the patient is all. How is his progress?" Korsa asked.

"Internally, he has recovered for the most part. He will be tender for a few days and needs to be careful that he doesn't re-injure himself. He is well enough to be moved to the sheriff's station at your earliest convenience," Jaesa stated, playing up the part.

"You're a... android medical assistant?" Zuzanna queried.

"I am. As I understand it, I was acquired at the request of Doctor Korsa. Said she required a medical android that was efficient and precise, while also being something pleasing and non threatening for patients to look at," she replied.

"Damn! If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were real like Korsa and I am!" Dr. Walczak responded.

"I believe that was the point. To be as real as possible, while also providing the doctor with the assistance she needs," the AI responded.

"Must have cost a pretty penny to have you here!" Zuzanna commented.

"You could say that! I do agree with your assessment, Jaesa. We will move the prisoner in a few hours once we are all awake. Keep an eye on the patient and inform Stanley that he has the ship," Korsa told her, while winking where Zuzanna couldn't see her eye.

"At once, doctor," Jaesa replied as she bustled off to carry out her orders.

"Inari has certainly moved up in the world since leaving all those years ago," Zuzanna sighed in wonder.

"Well, we're in a good place now, but there were some rough patches not too long ago," Korsa told her.

"Really?" Zuzanna asked, interested to hear of such stories.

"Oh, yeah! I could talk for weeks about all the trouble and shit we got into but," Korsa said as she yawned, "I think I need to clonk out and get some rest."

"You're not the only one. Speaking of which, where do I sleep?" the futa doctor asked.

"Our spare cabins don't have much in them at the moment, but those couches in the lounge are nice to lay down on," the Khontaran woman stated.

"As long as there's a pillow and a blanket, I'm good," Zuzanna replied.

The chattering women left the medbay behind, while Jaesa mucked about in the shadows, out of sight. The blonde doctor might have been a nice woman, but she wasn't read in on the true status of the crew. No one here on Prodosia was, and they needed to keep it that way for as long as possible. The only ones that had an inkling of this were the Children of the Wolf, and that was only as a means of gathering the information they needed.

Now that they had it, the crew could continue with their mission of finding Alex's descendants and knowledge of the Aether. The journals of the hermit had some interesting tidbits in it, but very little in the manner of actual information. The hermit had been careful not to commit what he knew down on paper, lest they be discovered. At least now, the crew and those of them who could use the Aether would finally have some answers.

That was the hope at least, along with recovering the Trinium that was stolen, which they needed to get the Perseus' hyperdrive back online. With that in mind, Jaesa sent messages to both Delilah and Stanley to keep up with the active scans of the area. If the Shadow Dancers wanted in, they'd have to go through them first. Now that the patrols and rotations had been tightened around the Darkstrider, they would need an ungodly amount of luck.

******************************

Matthias walked into Sargol's hideout, searching for the man, as the time limit he imposed on him was up. He found the sniveling weasel of a man sitting in his chair, smiling as he enjoyed himself a beer.

"I take it that you have good news for me?" Matthias questioned.

"Indeed, I do! I have located your men. Both of them," Sargol told him.

"Excellent! Where are they?"

"One of them, Dak, I think he's called, is sitting in a cell at the Sheriff's station. The other one, whose name I don't know, is apparently on that frigate, the Darkstrider," Sargol stated.

"Fuck! Dak will be easy enough to spring, but Bailey will be trouble," Matthias griped.

"You won't have to attack the ship. Word is that Bailey has recovered from his injuries and is being brought to the Sheriff's station later on in the day. The only thing I don't know is when," the Confed spy told his associate.

Hearing this news put Matthias in a jolly mood, as getting both of his men back was within reach! Such news almost made him overlook Sargol's mistake of sending his men into a deathtrap. Almost. Reaching out with his Aetheric power, he bound Sargol with it, slowly crushing the man. Sargol screamed out in pain at this, and he stumbled out of his chair, falling to his knees.

"Tell me, why did you send my men into such a high-risk target, when you know we deliberately avoid them," Matthias demanded in a cool voice.

"I didn't know it was a high-risk target!" Sargol fibbed, trying to get the pain to stop.

"Don't... lie to me," Matthias growled, his voice as deadly as a bared blade. Sargol tried cooking up another lie, but found the fabrication slipping from his mind, as though it was being wiped away.

"OK! I sent your boys after them because of the big man on their crew," Sargol replied, which made Matthias stop his attack for a moment.

"Why?"

"Because the bastard humiliated me in front of everyone! He made me look weak, and I wasn't going to let some massive oaf do that to me! I wanted to teach him and Inari a lesson!" the man groaned through gritted teeth.

The crushing pain stopped, but then Sargol found himself flying through the air. Within seconds, Matthias held him by the throat, holding him aloft as though he was a doll. The man gulped as he stared at Matthias, who looked at him as one might stare at an insect. Sargol only hoped that he wouldn't be crushed by this man, as he'd seen it happen and wasn't eager to experience it.

"Pull another stunt like that and I'll end you myself. No one will hear from or see you ever again and they'll never find your body. Do I make myself clear?" Matthias growled.

Sargol nodded, feeling the full weight of the threat that Matthias was making. He knew that if he screwed up like this again, his life was forfeit. That was something Sargol hadn't planned for yet, but he was going to have to make one, and fast! Matthias finally let him go, letting him crumple in a heap at the other man's feet.

"Good. Now, you will resume your troublemaking for the residents of Tanith's Gully. Keep them on edge, so it makes things easier for our group to sneak in and grab what we want," Matthias told him.

"Yes... sir," Sargol wheezed, while wanting to kill the man for what he'd just done. "What about the newcomers? You want me to handle them as well?"

"No. I will deal with them... personally," Matthias responded with a smirk.

Hearing Matthias say those words put a toothy grin on Sargol's face. While he hated this man for making his life hell, he couldn't help but dream of what he'd do to the crew of the Darkstrider. He'd seen Matthias mete out punishments before, but this would be the first one that Sargol would be eager to watch!

******************************

A few hours later, the crew of the Darkstrider woke up, well rested and eager to get rolling. The crew armed up before moving out, even letting Dr. Walczak select a pistol from their armory. Alex and his ladies headed off to meet with Dagan and his men, while Taal'ani and her group meandered off into town. They escorted the member of the Shadow Dancers to the Sheriff station, more than glad to be rid of him.

On top of the reinforcements, in the form of more crew members, they had a full squad of Sentries in tow, to ensure the prisoner wouldn't try to escape. Bailey glanced around, hoping to see a friendly face somewhere, but only saw jeering townsfolk. Word had gotten around town that a pair of Shadow Dancers had been captured and people were lining up on the walkways, eager to see what made them so feared.

"This is a Shadow Dancer? He looks like nothing more than a common thief!" one citizen called out.

"That kid is barely old enough to be my son, for crying out loud!" a woman jeered from the doorway of her home. Others who had gathered to see the caught thief were starting to press in, almost blocking their path forward.

"We might want to move it along. I can feel this crowd wants more than just a look at this kid," Zuzanna warned.

"I think you're right! Make a lane!" Willem called out, as he drew a collapsible baton and snapped it to readiness.

Some of the people cleared away the moment he did this, as such batons were also electrified. Anyone who had half a brain in their heads knew enough to step aside when any deputy had these at the ready. Taal'ani gave an order to the Sentries, and they followed suit, deploying their own electrobatons.