Prologue to a Problem

Story Info
A married couple’s struggle with a slip of the tongue.
803 words
3.67
57.5k
43

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/22/2023
Created 02/19/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

INTRODUCTION

I am a relatively new Literotica author. Those that have read my previous stories know that I was initially motivated to write to explore my personal thoughts related to why seemingly happily married women contemplate cheating. This 750 Word Project 2023 entry is another foray into that personal exploration.

______________________________________________

Phil and Ann were quiet on the way home from their dinner with Susan and Bob. After 18 years of marriage, they didn't feel the need to fill every moment with conversation. Silence between them was not uncommon. This, however, was not comfortable silence.

This was awkward.

The two married at 31 and 30. They moved to Omaha 15 years ago soon after the birth of the first of two sons. And though they were by no means empty nesters it was now easier to go out. Tonight, was just such an occasion - nothing special, just a chance to get out of the house and see friends. And, as planned, the night was fun. The service was acceptable. The food was good. The price was right. And the conversation was predictable...

That was, until it wasn't.

Towards the end of the evening, Susan started noticeably fidgeting. Not prone to gossip she was torn over the news she had heard. She knew it was true, but she also knew it was not her place to spread it. However, the salaciousness of her secret finally won out over her common sense.

"I wasn't going to say anything, but we're among friends," Susan said conspiratorially.

The other three immediately turned to Susan who now had their full attention.

Susan continued, "I don't know how else to say this so I'm just going to tell you what I heard. Karen and Richard are getting a divorce."

The table was stunned into silence. Karen and Richard were not just acquaintances. They were dear friends and the other go-to couple for the group. The three couples socialized together and had taken vacations together. The news landed like a hand grenade.

"Karen cheated with Richard's boss," Susan said. "Don't ask me how I know, just trust me it's true. It's been going on for a while, but Richard just found out. Apparently, he caught them in the act. Karen has moved out. It won't be secret for much longer," Susan concluded.

What followed was just what you would expect. Disbelief. Shock. Questions that Susan couldn't answer. Eventually, the dinner ended, and the two couples headed home.

It was on the ride home that Phil put voice to his unease. "Would you cheat?" he asked Ann.

Ann didn't immediately answer as she was deep in thought.

Ann was rehashing the news in her, up-to-now, safe suburban housewife mind. The fact that Karen, the wife, was to blame had knocked Ann a little off center. Ann was curious about how it went down. How did it start? What was the situation? Who came onto who? Was it intense, spur of the moment passion, or extended flirting?

What Ann surprisingly wasn't curious about was why her thoughts had immediately focused on the practicality of engaging in an affair rather than being appalled by it.

With all these thoughts swirling, she was a bit distracted when she finally answered Phil's question.

"Of course not honey. Who has time for an affair and why would I risk my marriage for a short-term thrill?" she finally said.

Ann immediately regretted her answer.

"What the fuck Ann? Is that how you feel?"

"That's not what I meant."

"Well, it's sure as hell what you said."

Ann didn't respond.

Phil didn't press.

Shit, Phil thought. It shouldn't be a thrill. Fuck, it shouldn't be anything. She shouldn't want another man. Not because she's busy or might get caught, but because she shouldn't want him. These thoughts raced through Phil's mind as he wrestled with his insecurity. Do women think about cheating? Does Ann fantasize about other men? Should I be worried? Is she unhappy? Would she discretely fuck another man behind my back?

Phil's train of thought brought an involuntary shudder.

Ann was also deep in thought. She knew she had bruised his ego and decided to make it up to him when they got home. But she also wasn't in the habit of lying to herself. As she replayed her answer to Phil's question, she found it to be accurate. She didn't plan on risking her marriage to have an affair, but the thought of sex with another man was, if she was being honest, thrilling.

What would it be like? she wondered. Passionate? Intense? Carnal? And him? Well, she mused, he'd need to be fit, rugged, tall, confident, a complete stranger and hopefully, she naughtily allowed, very well endowed.

Ann's train of thought brought an involuntary shudder.

The silence was, indeed, awkward.