All Comments on 'Promises, Progress and Payoff...'

by TheRedChamber

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
yowseryowser4 months ago

Thoughtful essay, thanks for this. (You must have worn out the capital 'P' on your keyboard. Insert 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled penises' joke here.)

A good story should get the reader asking questions right off the bat, and I certainly agree that the writer's responsibility (an Obligation) is to answer at least a few of them. None, and you have a major pratfall of a story.

Your 'progress' point is well taken, the number of stories here on Lit that don't work like a ratchet - move one notch, wait, move another bit closer, then tease out the interval to the next notch - is astonishing, and a disservice to the precious readership.

Only thing missing from this marvelous essay is reference to 'Checkov's Penis.' Well done.

TnicollTnicoll4 months ago

Th as no’s for taking the time to offer helpful hints. 5*

FreeSpiritSailorFreeSpiritSailor4 months ago

Five stars! Thank you so much for this very detailed and very helpful essay. I'm new to writing and to LitErotica. Your advice will be very useful to me as I develop my writing skills.

Best regards,

Geoff

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

I’m glad TRC highlighted the writing erotic piece of the story. My biggest issue is with writers who think they are creating an erotic passage when in fact it’s boringly repetitive. I have news for you, most readers skip that shit unless it’s really good. Which means it paints an erotic picture in the reader’s mind. Frankly, most of it sounds like a bored hooker trying to get their client off quicker so she can move on to the next John or Jane?

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

This is one of the better advice articles I've read on this site. Thanks!

-

Still, I would note that you didn't mention tags.

"Literotica stories tend to have a lot less of this surrounding information. You get a category, a title, and a few words of description. Regardless, these often make big promises to your readers."

Granted, you can't see the tags until after you click on the story, but having a reader immediately hit the back button after viewing the tags is better than having them start to read the story, only to jump to the end and give it 1* for wasting their time.

-

I guess I'll add a bonus suggestion as well. When tagging your story, don't just put "threesome" in the tags. Add either MFF or MMF (or both, if appropriate) as well. Also, no matter how many the one-to-many encounter is, still include the base MFF or MMF tags so your story is picked up in more tag searches to help expand your reader base.

MrDuMrDu3 months ago

this is a thought provoking and insightful article. Thanks for writing.

Hopefully this helps many authors (including myself) on this site.

joy_of_cookingjoy_of_cookingabout 2 months ago

As an amateur writer with no formal training in the field, this was a lovely essay: a relevant concept explained clearly, with worked examples. Thank you!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTheRedChamber@TheRedChamber
April Fools' Day story now published - Chocolate and the Charlie Factory. This story is part of the Hannah Has Plans series of stories. These are short fun stories that are each stand-alone. There's no real continuity and they range over the whole period of the couple's relat...