PUNKS Ch. 12: Non-Exclusive Clause

Story Info
Joe learns some hard truths.
8.6k words
1.4k
2
0

Part 12 of the 37 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 03/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

1994

Sitting on his balcony overlooking Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice Beach, Joe awaited a phone call from his business partners in New York, Marty Cohen and Laura Podvorek.

Back in 1979, Marty had 'discovered' Joe's first band at Tommy Guns, their NYC home bar in Hell's Kitchen. Marty befriended eighteen-year-old Joe and went to work convincing the kid The Young Punks should record at his modest Chelsea studio. They did far more than record together.

After producing their first record, their now-deceased partner Stan Greenbaum couldn't get a record label to take them on; unless they rerecorded the songs at the bigger studio. This would mean giving up the copyrights to his music. Joe would never agree to that. So, the teenager pitched an idea to his much older, more music business-experienced partners. "Why can't we just start our own record label?"

That was the birth of Guerilla Records. Stan filed the papers in New York State. Marty's studio became their headquarters, and they were in business. It was not an instant success. Guerilla struggled to survive. The years between The Young Punks and City of Angels were especially lean.

Before the final tour in Asia. Marty and Laura expressed concern for the future and called a meeting with Joe. City of Angels was far and away the biggest revenue generator for their small label. The loss of that income troubled them. Joe flew to New York to ease their minds and to come up with a business plan.

Joe's phone rang in Venice.

"Look Marty," Joe said after greetings were exchanged, "I have connections all over the country. Nearly every bar and nightclub I've played in is part of our network. These friends tip me off when they see a band they think is special. That's my new focus, signing new bands."

"Do you know how much talent you'll have to sign to replace your band's business?" Marty replied.

"What options are there? That's the plan; to develop one of those small bands into a major act, and then another, and another."

"We've been in business fourteen years," Laura added, "how many times have we done that? Twice." She answered her own question. "And you were in both bands."

"Maybe we rested on our laurels and didn't focus enough on the other talent." Joe said, "That changes today. My mission is to do what Marty did years ago, take a small band and earn them a national stage."

"What about releasing the City of Angels live record?" Marty asked.

"That will be a nice payday, down the road," Joe said, "but let's wait until we really need a cash infusion before playing that ace in the hole. I'm focusing on new artists, not trying to milk the last dime out of CoA. I'm flying to Texas the week after next to see two bands. I'll let you know how that goes."

"You can't fly first class anymore," Laura noted, "we need to tighten our belts."

"I can if I pay my own way."

When Joe met with Marty and Laura before the Asia tour, one of Joe's suggestions was to record a live concert album in Japan for future release. Marty loved that idea. It temporarily eased his hand wringing, Jewish angst over the upheaval his business was facing. Joe had one condition. They must record the show at Budokan, the arena Cheap Trick did their famous live recording in 1978.

City of Angels - Live at Budokan was in the can, ready for release.

-- First Class --

In late January, Joe invited Jasmine on his business trip to Texas, flying into Austin and then driving to Houston. She was excited to be tagging along with her man. They were definitely a couple, but their arrangement hadn't changed. Jasmine decided they should not play the exclusive card, not yet. It puzzled Joe. He had just suffered through Asia because he wanted only Jasmine, and he felt he needed to prove it. She was cool just being with him - no strings attached.

When they boarded the plane at LAX, Jasmine was giddy to be flying first class. Joe poked her as she smiled, pointed out the perks, and behaved like a virgin.

"At least pretend you've been here before," he teased her, "these rich people can smell it when you don't belong."

Jas shoved him as he buckled his seat belt, "What do you mean 'these rich people?" she made the air quotes. "You're one of them."

"Yeah, but I don't act like it, do I?

"I guess not," she said in a whisper, "you're not a snob." Jas smiled wide, "but this is amazing."

"The snobs like their comforts." Joe reclined his seat.

That trip was a big deal to Joe. He knew traveling together was a major test in a relationship. He had traveled the world with two bands - hundreds of cities on four continents - and Joe knew some people were a bitch to travel with - including him on occasion. Jas proved to be a trooper. She listened to his well-honed travel advice and was never a trouble. If anything, Jas was a pleasure to travel with.

A few weeks after his Texas business, Jas joined him on a road trip to the bay area; Santa Cruz, San Francisco, and then up to Sacramento to see three bands in five days. Again, she was a road warrior, never a problem, and she insisted on driving some of those long, boring miles between LA and SF. By the end of that trip, Joe was feeling very good about himself and Jasmine as a couple. She was fabulous in every way possible.

-- Meanwhile --

Joe had no business in New York. This was not welcome news at The Amethyst Gallery. Tina felt Joe was stepping away. Since their last phone call in November, she and Joe resumed their email correspondence, but only a couple per week, and Joe wasn't putting in much effort on his end. He also refused to talk on the phone. When Tina asked why, he stated his reasons, "It's too hazardous. At least with email you can think before you type, and rethink before you hit send. It's safer."

Not once did he mention Jasmine. Tina had no clue he had finally hooked up with the LA crush he had told her about. Joe didn't want Tina asking questions he didn't care to answer. After a few months of this lesser friendship, Tina was feeling down. That, as well as her husband's legal problems and the pressures of running her business, were taking a toll on her.

Jenna walked into Tina's office at midday to find her staring off into the distance, at nothing. She stood in the doorway unnoticed, then jarred T out of her trance.

"Hey! Are you okay?"

"Sure, I'm fucking great," Tina laughed sarcastically. "My husband is determined to fight the feds even if it costs us our last dime. I have arrogant investors climbing up my ass with unreasonable demands, and my best friend is freezing me out."

"Joe?"

"Yeah. I asked him again if we could talk on the phone and he said, 'no, it's too risky." She made a husky man voice to mock Joe.

"You have to stop trying to explain away your past mistakes," Jenna took the seat across the desk from T, "It doesn't change what happened and it definitely doesn't make him feel better."

"What am I supposed to do when he recounts every rotten thing I said to him that summer; just sit here and take it? I don't even remember half the shit he claims I said!"

"Just say you're sorry," Jenna said quietly, "don't try to explain why or say you don't remember. Joe locks every hurtful thing that's ever been said or done to him in his tiny little box of pain. He doesn't forget. Just assume his memory is clear and apologize."

Tina scoffed, "That's no tiny box of pain. You could park a truck in there."

"You guys need to get past that. Rehashing old grievances holds you back. Remember the time Joe showed up here with pizza for everyone?"

"Last summer," Tina recalled.

"You were tied up in a meeting so he sat down in my office waiting for you. He was his usual self, teasing me and clowning, but I could see through that facade. Joe is not a happy man."

"That makes two of us."

"He made some wisecrack and I told him to shut up and get real," Jenna said. "say what you feel. Not everything is a damn joke. He was surprised. He said I sounded like you."

"I love his playful nature," Tina said, "but sometimes it's too much. He's hard to take seriously when he's always clowning."

"That's how he hides his pain, behind the clown face. I got him to speak candidly. Please don't get mad with me, I'm just telling you what he said."

"I can't promise I won't be mad about what he said."

"Joe said he was determined to get you back. You stupidly married the wrong man. He has no clue what you see in Troy and someday you'll wake the fuck up and fix your mistakes."

"He's never met Troy!" Tina said sharply. "He doesn't know shit about Troy."

He only knows what you tell him, T" Jenna said softly. "You complain about Troy, especially his legal trouble. You compare Troy to Joe. I've heard it a hundred times."

"I don't compare them."

"Oh please," Jenna threw her hands up, "you do it all the time, especially when Joe says wonderful things about you or does something kind, like the bagels and pizzas. You said to me that you wish Troy were as thoughtful as Joe."

"I said that." Tina admitted, "because it's true."

"When you told Casey and me about the massages he gave you at The Cairo, you said you wish Troy was as affectionate as Joe."

"Okay, so I do that, sometimes."

"All the time," Jenna said, "You wish Troy had a sense of humor - like Joe."

Tina put her traffic cop hand up. "You can stop now."

"Okay," Jenna leaned forward. "now you can get mad at me. I told Joe that Troy is condescending towards you. He talks over you and doesn't appreciate you the way Joe does."

"Great, now you're beating down my husband to Joe?"

"Well, if we're comparing the two men in your life..." Jenna shrugged.

Tina stared off into the distance, "the two men in my life. How the hell did I get here?"

"You married the wrong one?"

"Fuck off, Jenna!" Tina looked at the ceiling, exasperated. "I know you're on Joe's team."

"Hey, I've been with you from the beginning. You may think Joe is your best friend, but he's not, I am. I will always tell it like it is. That's what best friends do. If you don't want to hear it, that's your problem."

Tina stared at Jenna. "I'm sorry. I know you're my best friend. Joe's my best man... friend."

"Listen to you!" Jenna nearly shouted. "You just admitted your husband isn't your best man..."

"Stop it!" Tina cut her off.

"I call it as I see it," Jenna said coldly, "Anyway, I got away from the point I was trying to make." Jenna took a deep breath. "When Joe said he was trying to get you back, he was speaking in the past tense. He sat quietly for a moment like he didn't know if he wanted to say it. Then he said he was trying to move on. Joe loves you but he's finally accepting the fact that you're married, thousands of miles away, and he needs to get over you."

"And that means we can't be friends?" Tina said sadly.

"It's not easy for him. You go home to Troy every day. He's alone. Joe said that his clinging to hope was holding him back."

Jenna watched Tina's face for a sign that her words were sinking in. Tina stared at her, then looked off into the distance. Jenna could see the mist in her eyes.

Jenna continued, "I love Joe. He's my friend too. I wish you were together, I really do, but you're not. I wish you were both happy, but you're not."

"I miss talking to him," Tina said sadly. "He just... he knows what to say to make me feel better."

"Unlike your husband."

-- The Rivalry --

At the end of February, the Boston Celtics were in Los Angeles to face the Lakers. Joe wore his old number 10 JoJo White jersey. Jasmine wore her number 32 Magic Johnson jersey, as well as purple and gold beads in her recently braided hair.

"What the fuck is this?" Joe said as Jasmine climbed into his '78 Eldorado in West Hollywood. "we're going to a basketball game, not Mardi Gras."

"Shut up," Jasmine snapped back, "why don't you wear a jersey of a living player? Does your team suck so hard you don't have a favorite on the roster?"

Jasmine leaned over and kissed him. "Hey, baby."

"Are you hungry?" Joe asked.

"I can eat."

"We can eat before we go to The Forum, eat craptacular Laker concession food, or just snack there and have a late dinner."

"You said these tickets came with dinner. I'm not having a shitty hotdog. I got off work early so we'd have time."

"Too bad we're dressed like fanatics," Joe smiled and he drove off, "there will be no fine dining in these costumes."

Like the first time they attended a basketball game together, years ago, Joe took a lot of heat from Lakers fans. He knew to keep his mouth in check behind enemy lines. He'd give some back but not enough to provoke more than words. Jasmine had no such restraint.

When a douchebag Laker fan got in Joe's face, she stepped between them. "You're a big tough guy with your boys behind you. I bet I could kick your sorry ass. I know Joe can."

"What the fuck are you doing with a fucking Celtics fan?"

"For one thing, he has a job." Jasmine said, "unlike your broke ass."

Joe smiled at the dude. "She would definitely beat your ass."

"Fuck you, man. Larry Bird is a cracker."

"Yes, he is," Joe said, "A rich, retired cracker with three rings."

The truth was, the Celtics were not very good in 1994 and the Lakers weren't much better. Some fans were still living in the Bird vs Magic rivalry years after its prime. Bird had retired. Magic was old. Those glory days were over.

The hot-headed Laker fan glared at Jasmine. "This Boston pussy needs his bitch to defend him."

"At least he has a woman," Jas laughed, "which one of your boys calls you bitch?"

One of his boys grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back. As they walked away, Jas took one more shot, "Enjoy your nosebleed seats, broke ass bitch."

Joe stood there on the concourse laughing at Jasmine. "Who the fuck are you?"

"I'm someone who doesn;t take shit from fools."

"Okay. I'll try not to give you any."

When Joe and Jas found their seats, five rows behind the scorer's table, Jas smiled. "These are the best seats I've ever had." She kissed Joe, "thank you, baby. Look, there's Kurt Rambis."

"Pffft, "Joe scoffed, "Talk about bitches. Rambis is a fucking crybaby. Oh, McHale fouled me hard. Ohhh." Joe pretended he was fainting.

Jasmine lightly smacked Joe upside the head, "That was dirty-ass foul and you know it."

"It was great defense."

"Look," Jasmine pointed, "There's Diane Cannon." She kissed Joe. "These are great seats."

"I hate to say it, but one reason I get good seats here is so I don't have to sit with drunken Laker fans who can't control themselves." Joe gestured toward Jack Nicholson standing courtside talking to James Worthy. "Jack might be the only guy who might pick a fight with me down here."

It was a close game from start to finish with neither team able to build a lead. In the end, the Lakers prevailed 100-97, and Jasmine left The Forum with a smile on her face. Joe was okay taking the loss. His team wasn't going to the playoffs. Seeing her so happy was worth it.

Driving home from the Forum, Jas told Joe to take a long way home. She scooted over to Joe's side and reached down between his legs while kissing his ear, then his neck. When Joe stopped at a traffic signal she pulled him in for a real kiss, a hard passionate kiss. She was getting stuff undone downstairs while sucking his tongue. The car behind them honked when the light changed. "Get a room!" the driver shouted. Joe and Jas laughed as they pulled away.

Joe's zipper was down, his belt unbuckled, and his cock pulled out with Jas massaging his head. "I have the best times with you," Jas said softly in his ear. "We are so good together. Thank you for tonight."

"You're welcome, baby," Joe said as he turned into a quiet neighborhood.

Joe pulled the lever and pushed his seat back. His feet were barely on the pedals. He slowed down while Jas went down, sliding behind the steering wheel, and taking his knobby head in her mouth. She worked just his head for a neighborhood block.

"This is why having a big seventies car is the best," he said, arching his back as Jas went deep and sucked harder. "bench seats and leg room."

They cruised slowly through an unfamiliar hood, Joe took random turns trying to stay on secondary roads. Jas had most of his cock out of his pants and much of that was in her mouth being worked by her tongue and lips. This was something she did well that was a bit different than other gifted women. Jas didn't have to bob her head and go wild, she could use her tongue, juicy lips, and suction to do her man. Joe admired her special technique.

When he came out on West Centinela Ave, he turned west. It was late, not a lot of traffic, but with the convertible top down he had to steer clear of higher vehicles. He pulled in behind a pickup truck to avoid passing and exposing Jasmine, not that she would give a damn. Jas kept sucking and Joe kept driving, all the way to Del Rey, and through Culver City.

Close to home, driving down Venice Boulevard, Joe had to pull over in a parking lot, just for a minute. He was about to blow. He leaned back. Jas then started bobbing. It only took a couple of dozen bobs for her man to the finish line. Joe released in her mouth. Jas happily gulped it down, sucking until Joe's cock was near soft. She pulled up, wiping her mouth.

"Greene scores from the arc!" Joe laughed.

Jas laughed, kissed him, and helped put his pants back together as Joe drove off. He cruised into his neighborhood, Jas still kissing him.

-- Consolation Prize --

Coming in from a beach day on a fantastic first Sunday of spring, Joe noticed the light on his answering machine flashing. Without thinking, he pressed the button. He immediately regretted it.

"Hi, Joe. It's me. I know you don't want to talk on the phone but I could really use your advice. I'm having an awful week and I need someone to talk to. No one listens better than you and I know you'll have a perspective that's helpful. If you could call, I'd be grateful. I really miss you."

Without looking at Jasmine, Joe deleted the message and walked to the bedroom to get out of his sandy beach clothes and into the shower. They had dinner plans across the street at Joe's favorite Italian restaurant, Vino Italia. Jasmine followed him into the bedroom.

"Are you going to call her?"

"No, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why? You said you're still friends. It sounds like she needs you."

"This is what she does. Tina wants it all. She wants to be married and she wants me to be the man her husband is not, the caring and sensitive friend who will listen to her troubles and offer kind words. I don't play that game anymore. What she needs is a gay boyfriend."

"Wow," Jasmine leaned back, "I guess you're not actually friends because a friend would never say that."

"You don't know her, Jas. You don't know the history we have. I can be friends without getting too close. I have firm boundaries with Tina.".

"C'mon Joe, I know all about Tina. You told me the whole story years ago, at The Wilshire and at Mel's. You gave me that story over a banana milkshake and a cheeseburger."

Joe had to think back years to recall that conversation. "Okay, I forgot about that. So you know some of it. That should help you understand my situation and why I keep my distance."

"I know, because you still love her, and you're trying to protect your heart. I get it."

"I don't love her," Joe lied. "I'm just trying to move on with my life. She should do the same."

Jasmine stepped close to Joe and took him by both hands, "Most of us have a Tina in our past, that lover that still has a place in our hearts. It's okay to admit it."

"It's been almost ten years since we split. I've allowed her to hold me back for too long."

Jasmine sat on the bed as Joe removed his swim trunks. She sighed, wondering if she should call Joe on his bullshit. As he stepped into the bathroom, she came out with it.