PUNKS Ch. 28: The Temptress

Story Info
Tina tries to lure Joe back in.
12.8k words
1.1k
1
1

Part 28 of the 37 part series

Updated 07/08/2023
Created 03/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Joe is in the final turn, looking at the home stretch. This is my longest chapter thus far. It's a transition piece with new characters that will help this story to the finish line.

March 1996

-- The Wee Hours --

Joe's phone rang at 10:40 PM, just as he was climbing into bed with a book. He let it ring, fluffing his pillow, and pulling the linen up. His machine answered.

"Hi, Joe. It's Tina. I just wanted to talk. I feel...

Joe picked up, "Hi, T."

"Are you screening calls?"

"If I am, you should be pleased you made the cut; but no, I don't screen. What's up?" He looked at the clock, "It's 1:41 AM there. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just not sleeping and I wanted to talk to you."

"Anything particular on your mind?"

"There's a lot of drama. I feel like I'm living in a Boadway production. He won't let this go. Every night is a new scene."

"You can tell your husband that I have no business in New York in the foreseeable future. He's safe from further humiliation."

"I told him that two weeks ago, and again last week. He just can't get past it."

"This Broadway play you're living in, is it a tragedy or a comedy, or is there intrigue?"

"Well, since we got busted on the big screen, it's not a mystery. It's just how people are reacting. All his buddies are talking. He's the butt of their jokes, and he's miserable, being a baby. I guess I would call this a tragic comedy because some people are laughing."

"It must suck to have shitty friends."

"That's what I tell him. It's not my fault he has garbage friends." Tina laughed. "My bother is loving this. April thinks it's romantic..."

"As she rolls her eyes at us." Joe laughed.

"Yes! She said it was so cliche and predictable but she loved it. You know they don't love Troy, right?"

"Yes, because he doesn't love them. That's how they see it."

"Jack and April aren't wrong."

"Ya know, T. I have to say something you may not like," Joe said, then paused... and paused.

"Since when do you think twice about saying what I don't want to hear?" Tina said impatiently. "What is it?"

"I don't want to defend your husband. I think he's a dick and he's probably a crook. I can understand how he feels. If I were in his shoes I'd probably be upset too."

"Three weeks after the fact?"

"I think you should cut him some slack."

"Do you feel bad about this?"

"No, not at all. I would kiss you on stage for all to see again and again with no regret."

"Okay. I'm glad we both feel that way."

"I'm just saying you could consider his feelings."

Tina didn't reply for a moment. This version of Joe with empathy for her husband was off-putting. She didn't know what to think so she didn't know what to say.

"The thing is, T. Troy has a legimate grievance and if he had any self-respect, he'd file for divorce over this public humiliation and be done with you. Then you could be with me, the man you kissed for all New York to see."

"I get it now." Tina chuckled, "You support my husband because if he took it to the extreme..."

"He makes my dream come true."

"I knew you were working an angle. I hated that you defended him. I'm relieved you're just being a jerk. I can deal with that."

Since that final show in February, Joe hadn't done much in LA except adjust to retired life. He wasn't retired from his business, but he was retired from B minus level celebrity and the grind of touring. Life was simple again, on the outside.

On the inside, Joe was lost and aimless. There was no special woman in his life. He was feeling alone. After a night of drinking, he was tempted to reach out to Jasmine for a booty call. It was one of the things they did, but he snapped out of his delusion. That would be a dick move. He was thinky drunk that night, not stupid drunk.

Before Tina phoned him on this late night in early March to update him on the aftermath of the big screen kiss, they had already started a new but familiar phase of this cross country-long term-dysfunctional-extramarital relationship. They were talking again, two or three times a week, every Monday for her lunch break, keeping a long tradition alive, and in the wee hours when T couldn't sleep. Tina whispered at times, calling from her guestroom.

"What are you doing all day?" she asked after Joe said was just bumming around.

"I have described my life here before. You know my routine."

"Humor me."

Joe sighed, "I get up around seven, jog and run the boardwalk, grab a coffee and a bite at my friend's cafe. I might chat with my neighbors over coffee. Then I start my day with whatever's on the agenda. Lately, it's been quiet, so I'm tending the bar at The Surfside to help Larry. He owns the place and is having surgery. He needs someone to cover his day shift, so I do a few shifts per week."

"You went from playing Madison Square Garden to part-time bartending?"

"And I'm not getting paid. It's volunteer work. My tips go to Larry, but that's not much. The day drinkers are fucking tightwads."

"What if you're not bartending? What else do you do?"

"I play basketball. I used to play a lot, but then the band got big so it was on and off. I'm getting back into that. If I have work I'm never really off the clock here. I do studio work at night. The shop just isn't busy this month because I was on tour and didn't book any sessions."

"Do you ever just hang on the beach, alone, laying on a blanket?"

"Sometimes, but there are usually people I know on the beach so I can always join a party. I'm not alone when I go out, even when I go out alone."

"I would love to see your life for one day."

"My Venice invitation stands."

"I know, Joe. And Jenna has the same Joe Rewards Club offer. So it's not such an exclusive deal."

"I never said it was. The first woman from New York City to cash in her semi-exclusive California VIP rewards may not want to go back. My home is yours, or Jenna's."

"Oh, is that the deal? Are we in a race to California? Does Jenna know?"

"No. I'm just teasing you." Joe reflected for a moment. "Ya know, T. In the past, I would have let you wonder if that was the deal, you versus Jenna. I don't play that game anymore."

"I appreciate that. You make Venice sound like a special place, but I've heard it's kinda rough."

"It's where the city of Los Angeles meets the ocean. We have all the city's problems. I like that it's not perfect. It keeps the perfect people out."

"Someday I hope you can show me."

"I'm not holding my breath, but you're welcome any time."

"If I came out you could show me your famous California King. I think it's hilarious you wrote a song about your bed."

"I know, and it's a minor hit. People can relate to that song. Who doesn't love their bed?"

"Me."

"That's not your bed's fault. I was in your bed, T. It was warm and wonderful. You're just sharing it with the wrong..." Joe stopped himself, trying to be nice.

"It was warm and wonderful that day."

"Yes, it was."

"Now that I think of it," Tina said. "I shared my bed with you. I think you owe me a tour of your famous bed."

"Get your ass to LA and I'll take care of you."

"Someday, Joe. Someday."

"Don't show up married."

"Really? That's a rule?"

"I don't fuck married women anymore."

Tina didn't respond to that because it sets him off on his talking points of how sleeping with her is bad for his psyche and soul and how he wants all of T, not just a taste, blah, blah, blah. She heard it too many times.

"A funny thing about that song," Joe continued. "California King was a fill-in track. We needed something with a punch because the album didn't have enough edge. That song was a late throw-in."

"That's a pleasant surprise."

"Yeah, it is. I wrote those lyrics on a napkin on a flight home from a tour, two years ago. I could'nt wait to get home to my bed. Then I forgot about those lyrics until I found them a when we were warming up to record. I was digging through scraps of paper and notebooks."

"Do you still keep a journal?"

"No. I told you that years ago. I stopped doing that when I settled here."

"Do you have all your journals from the eighties?"

"Every one. There are thirty-eight Mead composition notebooks stuffed in a box in my closet with other junk. It's almost eleven years of my life."

"Do you ever look at them?"

"Nah. I'm trying to not look back, T. I'm focusing straight ahead."

-- Empty Nest --

Joe pulled into his parking lot with a U-Haul van. Danny jumped out of the van Joe backed up to the studio door. Danny guided him in. It was a moving day for Danny. Joe was giving him the sleep sofa and coffee table from the green room. Already in the back of the van was a bedroom set with a mattress they just picked up at a second-hand store. Once they loaded up the sofa, table and Danny's belongings, Joe suggested he leave his guitars and amp at the studio, for security purposes.

"I'll take my Les Paul, so I have something to play at home, but I'll leave the rest."

"Do you have Betty's business card?"

"Yes. I'll call her this week, once I'm settled in."

"She will hook you up with sessions if you call. Betty owes me a favor. You just have to show up and do the work. Once she sees you're reliable, you'll get more work and referrals."

Joe closed the back of the fifteen-foot box truck and jumped into the driver's seat. Danny buckled up. As they drove away, Danny looked over his shoulder at the building. "I can't believe the last year of my life. I was on Chele's couch, fighting with her boyfriend with no prospects, then I moved to Venice and toured the world."

"You worked your way up."

"Because you gave me a chance."

"You were a safe bet."

"Thanks, Joe."

"You can thank me by making a good life for yourself in California. You have people here now. That's how roots grow."

"I'll do my best. We have to get The Eldorados together. We both have time on our hands."

"I'll get around to that. We need a drummer. Bobby's in another band."

Danny found a place a mile inland from Joe, renting half of a duplex, two bedrooms, and no yard to speak of. It was fine for a single guy. Joe gave him a great reference. Danny was employed by Guerilla Records but since the tour, he was working more hours at Grants Music than at Joe's studio. Joe had just given him a good lead on session musician work with bigger studios Joe was friendly with. He also gave him a reference as a guitar tech. Danny was scheduled to tour with the road crew for another band... Beacon Hill.

The kid was ready to fly the nest and Joe wanted to make sure the launch went well, so he rented the truck and found the used furniture, and then donated items... to make sure the birdie flew in comfort.

After several trips unloading the truck and carrying furniture up a half flight of stairs, Joe stood in the doorway drinking bottled water. He was hoping to avoid an emotional departure. "Go buy some groceries. Fill that fridge. Cook. Don't dine out too much. That's a waste of money. Come over Wednesday and I'll cook you dinner. Don't be a stranger."

Danny gave Joe the one-armed man-hug and back pat. "Thanks. Joe."

Joe walked away, not looking back, avoiding the emotions as best he could. He returned the U-Haul truck and began planning the redecoration of his studio green room and offices in his head. He had ideas to make his studio more comfortable.

He hoped Danny would follow through with his contacts on The Strip. Joe was a small-time hustler in the LA music scene, a mosquito compared to the big hitters. Still, he had a successful recording career, toured the world multiple times, and along the way made connections in the business, big and small. Some were friends who traded favors. Joe cashed in a chip for Danny.

-- Girl Talk ---

Jenna stepped into Tina's office near the end of her lunch break. She was on the phone. Jenna sat across from her and waited.

"Jenna just walked in," Tina said over the phone. She smiled at Jen. "Joe says hello."

"Hi, Joe."

"Jenna says hi." She listened to Joe for a bit. "Okay. I'll call you mid-week. I have to go. Okay. Love you, Bye."

When Tina hung up the phone she took a bite of her lunch and looked up at Jenna. "He's a fucking mess."

"What do you mean?"

"He's alone and doesn't have much going on. Joe's not good with idle time."

"That's what he says, but he's perfectly capable of being a lazy do-nothing."

Tina sipped her drink. "I'm sure you saw that when he was with you. If Joe has someone, he can chill out and do nothing because he has you to give his attention to. When he's alone he gets fidgety. He needs something or someone to keep his mind occupied."

"So he's got no one and no business?"

"He just helped Danny move out, so he has some remodeling to do in his studio, and I guess he has a garden, but he says business is slow. Oh, and he's bartending to help a friend."

"Sounds like he's busy," Jenna said while drinking Coke through a straw.

"When you don't have a job to go to, there are a lot of hours to kill."

"I suppose."

"I want to go out and visit him," Tina said. "I want him to know I'm here for him, for whatever he needs. It's just not easy making that happen."

Jenna sighed, "If you do that while you're married you're only going to fuck him up."

"I don't know," Tina smiled. "I'll definitely fuck him, and I don't think that would fuck him up. I think it's just what he needs."

"He does need you, I'm sure of it, but not in little doses once in a while."

"You sound just like him. I bet a vacation with Joe in California would be incredible. You know he'd treat you right and show you a good time."

Jenna let her mind wander, not replying to Tina's vacation comment. She had thought about taking that trip, for a minute, until common sense woke her up.

"What do you think?" Tina asked.

"About what?"

"About a vacation in California."

Jenna grinned. "It would be everything you dream of and probably more than you can imagine. Yeah, I would love to visit Joe out there."

"You have his open invite, right?"

"You don't want me going to Venice, T."

"Because you won't come back?"

"That's what Joe says, but you know him. He likes to exaggerate."

Tina leaned back in her chair. "I'm trying to get him to open up. This platonic bullshit is killing me. He's holding us back with these stupid rules. I want to hear him laugh and talk sexy and maybe..."

"You're still trying to fuck him, even though he's made it clear it's not good for him?"

"It's good for him, Jen. He's just thinking too much. He needs to chill and have fun."

"Jesus Christ," Jen said loudly. "You've swapped roles. That's what he said back when you shut him off. He was trying to fuck you and that messed with your head. You were confused and torn. Now you're the temptress and he's..."

"Confused and needs exactly what I'm offering, just like I did when he was pursuing me."

"Okay," Jen said, exasperated. "Good talk. I have to get back to work."

Jenna stood up and glared at Tina, annoyed that she was putting her needs and lust for Joe ahead of his well-being. Tina needed Joe in her life to feel whole, but she wasn't willing to go all the way... divorce. Instead, she messed with Joe's head. As Jenna walked out, she took a shot at T.

"Ya know. I haven't taken a vacation in two years. Maybe a trip to California would do me good."

-- Rewards Club ---

Joe's phone rang at 10:55 PM. After a month of phone calls, Joe was now accustomed to these late-night rings. He knew the call would come between ten and midnight his time. He fell asleep a few nights hoping she'd call. He knew this was bad news for him. Joe was right back in it with Tina. The thing is, he was alone in LA and he felt he needed her right now. He ignored the red flags.

"Hey, T. How are you?"

"Not sleepy."

"What's on your mind this time?"

"What's not on my mind?"

"For you to call, it's usually something specific, like a question that's bugging you."

Tina hated that he was spot on, but it didn't stop her from asking. "What would happen if Jenna flew out there to visit you?"

"Are we back on the Rewards Club offer?"

"I'm just wondering how you imagine that week would go down. You'd pick her up at the airport, take her to your place, and then what?"

"You know what would happen. If Jen flew here I would assume she wants to sleep in my famous bed. So that would be the first order of business once she unpacked."

"Of course. And you said whichever of us New York chicks showed up, we probably wouldn't want to go back. What if Jenna decided to stay there?"

"That would be an interesting development in my life."

"What would you do?"

"I don't know. Why are you asking? Did Jen say she was coming out?"

"We talked about your offer, and how much fun that would be. We both think about it."

"Interesting. So there is a race, in your twisted little female minds."

"It's not a race!" Tina said too loud.

"Hey, calm down. We don't want to wake Mister Moneypants."

"He's in a coma."

"So you're not at all worried Troy will pick up the other receiver or walk in on you whispering like a teenage girl up past her bedtime?

"Nope. Not worried. He sleeps like a bear in hibernation. Troy has this bedtime regime. He does a facial skin treatment, brushes, and flosses, then he takes vitamins and melatonin, sometimes a sleeping pill. He puts a mask on his face and goes to bed. Once he's asleep, a fire alarm won't wake him. I wish I could sleep half as soundly as he does."

"And this is the guy facing federal prison time, sleeping like a baby?"

"I know. Isn't that messed up? Meanwhile, I'm an insomniac worrying enough for both of us dragging my ass to the office every day on three hours of sleep, on a good day."

"Talking to me at 2 AM is not helping you get your beauty sleep."

"You don't get it, Joe. If I wasn't talking to you I'd be staring at the ceiling with a dozen thoughts bouncing around my head like bumper cars at Coney Island."

"I like that, T. Good metaphor. Did you make that up?"

"I think so."

"Nice."

Tina sighed. "Your voice calms me. Right now, I'm thinking of this conversation and nothing else. I love listening to your stories and hearing about people you know. I like that you listen to me. I get to share my thoughts with someone who will..." Tina paused. "I've said this before. You always know what to say to make me feel better. You have points of view I never considered. It's incredible sometimes."

"I'm glad I can do that for you?"

"Are these talks helping you? Is this good for you?"

Joe exhaled and paused, "Yes and no. I love talking to you. T. You're my favorite person in the world. I want this, but it reminds me of how good we are together and that can hurt. It does hurt, because I can't have you."

"You don't have to do this?"

"I want to. I will always take your calls. T. I want to be a friend you can count on, even when things are shitty for me."

"Are things bad for you now?"

"I don't want to overstate it. I'm okay, but it's not great being alone at a time when I thought I'd be moving forward with a new life. It all happened so fast, Jasmine, Jenna, my performing career ending. I wasn't prepared to be alone."

"I'm here for you," Tina said softly. "Just as you're here for me."

"Thanks, T. That means a lot. It really does."

There was silence, neither had a word to say. Finally, Tina got back on topic.

"Did you give Casey the offer to visit California?"

Joe laughed, "You're really stuck on this, aren't you? We just had a sweet moment and you took it right back to your crazy obsessive shit. You want to know how many competitors you have?"

"No. I'm just wondering how unremarkable that offer is. Half the women in Europe are probably in your Joe Rewards Club."

"We might have a few European members and maybe one in South America."