Puppy Love Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let's go kiddo" Jack called to Theo, who had stopped to lick the rest of his ice cream cup clean "lets play in the water."

Theo came running, forgetting his treat even existed. He loved the water and Jack got a kick out of watching him enjoy himself.

"At least one of us will be having a good time." Jack told Theo... as the dog dragged him to the edge of the spray fountain.

-

Luke and Olive walked slowly to the dog park... he liked watching the other pups play. Luke had hoped that bringing Olive to the park on a regular basis would help the timid Terrier get over her fear of... well... everything. She had always been anxious, but had gotten worse when Chris abandoned her when dumping him.

She was hesitant, her head swiveling and darting at every noise. Her ears would perk and twitch with uncertainty. Arriving at the park, Luke sat down on a bench, Olive crawling underneath taking refuge behind his legs. As Luke watched the other dogs and their owners play, he wished he could get Olive involved. No amount of coaxing brought her out to meet new people or other dogs.

-

Jack was a little tired chasing after Theo, and a little wet from being pulled through the water spray. He made his way over to the only bench with any space.

"Mind if I sit for a little" Jack asked Luke.

"No... not at all. Have a seat."

Jack scanned the park looking for a dog playing by themselves "Which one is yours?" He asked.

Luke looked down, pointing under the bench "this one" he said, motioning to Olive. "She's a little shy... uncomfortable around unfamiliar people or other dogs.

"She's so cute. Is she OK to pet?" Jack asked with a smile.

"You can try. She's harmless, but she'll probably just squirm away."

Jack reached down under the bench, and with much surprise, Olive came over and pushed her head against his fingers, looking to be petted, then licked his hand.

"Holy shit!" Luke exclaimed laughing "she doesn't react like that to anyone! Seriously... anyone. Are you a dog whisperer?"

"I don't know" Jack laughed back "maybe she relates - one shy person to another."

"The only people she ever reacts to is me... and then my ex of course."

"How about you?" Luke asked

Jack pointed out into the park "the Golden Retriever. The one running around in the spray area like a maniac" He laughed.

"Beautiful dog." Luke responded.

Jack stood up and called him. Patting his leg as he yelled his name "Theo... c'mon Theo. Let's go."

Theo's ears perked up, he turned his head and looked at Jack. He bolted across the yard and ran straight to him - the wet dog bouncing with excitement between the two guys - wanting some attention."

Olive poked her head out between Luke's legs, sniffing at Theo. She quickly emerged and ran around him - the leash Luke was holding getting wrapped around his legs - to get to Theo.

"Woah, Ollie... slow down" Luke yelled as her running wrapped it tighter around his legs.

Jack jumped up and went after Theo, grabbing his collar and putting his leash on and leading him away.

"Ok, what's going on here?" Luke asked in amazement, laughing "what did you do to my dog?" he was surprised at Olive's activity.

Heartedly laughing out loud Jack asked "she really isn't like this normally?" He reached down to give Olive a few more pets and scratches behind her ears "she just seems so happy and outgoing."

"Yeah, honestly, this is not the same dog I know."

"Well, glad I could help... it seems she gets along great with Theo, too."

Luke stared at Jack for a moment, his mind racing. "You look so familiar... do I know you?"

"I don't think so" Jack looked down at his feet and the dogs.

"No... I definitely recognize you from somewhere. Do you work in town?"

"Yeah, I'm at Dove Publishing, a couple blocks down from here."

"Yes! That's where I know you" Luke was excited to figure it out "I work there too. I saw you at the breakfast this morning - during the introductions."

Jack turned bright red - embarrassed that Luke remembered him.

"Jason, right? You're in the art department?"

Audibly groaning "Jackson... Jackson Poole, but call me Jack. Yeah, I'm doing illustrations right now."

Extending his hand out for a shake "I'm Luke Larson.... currently writing YA romance. I remember you because you had Theo with you. Do you always bring him to work?"

"Yeah, it's a really chill office. You should bring Olive along for the day."

Luke laughed "I don't know if that's a great idea. She'd probably spend the day hiding under my desk. She spends most of her time hiding at doggie daycare, so..."

"Well, she's not hiding now. Maybe she should spend time with Theo... and me."

"I'll give it some thought."

-

Jack mentally scanned Luke. Very attractive, friendly, great personality. The tan shorts he was wearing clung to his thick thighs. For a brief moment Jack thought about asking Luke out, but why? He knew this was the type of guy he'd never have a chance with.

"Hey, Theo and I were just going to grab something to eat. If you don't have any plans, would you like to come along?"

"Absolutely! We were just going to do the same thing." Luke said with excitement.

"There's a great pub right around the corner. Dogs are welcome if you sit outside on the patio - the four of us could have a meal and maybe a few beers."

"Olive doesn't really care for beer" Luke laughed "but I'm up for it."

Jack found himself getting lost in Luke's eyes - the greenest of green - and, wow, that smile... so wide and bright. Who needed streetlights when Luke had that megawatt smile. He glanced down to him, Luke was slightly shorter than Jack, and resisted the urge to run his fingers through his curly hair.

"That's good to know, Theo isn't much of a drinker either." Jack returned the laugh.

-

They hooked the dogs back on their leashes and headed towards Dunderbak's, an authentic German alehouse. Grabbing a table near the front of the patio, Luke and Jack sat down waiting to place their orders while Theo and Olive lay beneath the table at their feet.

"So" Jack began "when did you get Olive?"

"She came along when I met my ex Chris... I was't really a dog person - or an animal person actually - but as soon as I met her I just melted. I know that sounds sappy, but she'd been through so much that I couldn't help wanting to protect her."

Again, Jack briefly thought of asking Luke out, but he still doubted he'd have a shot - or even wanted one. Fresh from his own breakup with Mike, he was just recently burned and wasn't going to start another fire.

"Olive had been abused by her first owners, then dumped in a shelter. She'd been adopted a few weeks later and then returned because she was so timid... the new family wanted a frisky puppy and not a dog with abandonment issues. That's when Chris got ahold of her."Luke paused, searching for appropriate words. "They moved from town to town for about 2 years, as Chris worked up the corporate ladder, before we met and eventually landed here in Philly. We split shortly after because I, and I quote, 'was immature'."Chris abandoned Olive and me and took off for the next rung on the ladder."

Feeling he said more than enough, Luke paused, "I couldn't just ditch her after that. She needed me. Actually, we needed each other. She never recovered, or came out of her shell, until today. Because of you."

Luke seemed like a good person... not like that asshole Mike. He seemed sensitive and honest.

"How about you?" Luke asked "how did you and Theo meet?"

Luke looked at Jack attentively.

"Well, after Mike - that's my ex - dumped me, I felt like I needed something to do with my life... and honestly my time. My best friend volunteers at an animal shelter and coerced me into coming along. That's where I met Theo. Theodore actually... but he never really responded to that name." Jack laughed "He dislikes that name I guess as much as I do mine."

They picked up their beer mugs and Luke toasted Jack "Here's to shitty exes and the dogs that replaced them."

12