Puppy Love Ch. 02

Story Info
Jack & Luke spend the day together with the dogs and dinner.
4.1k words
4.67
3.9k
12

Part 2 of the 6 part series

Updated 07/07/2023
Created 05/10/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As always, appreciate any feedback or comments

Chapter 2 of 6

So, if you don't have anything planned for tomorrow" Jack proceeded "would you be interested in volunteering at the shelter with me?"

Luke didn't hesitate, "sounds great!"

"Don't get to excited" Jack chuckled "it's just picking up poop, cleaning out cages, changing bedding, walking dogs..." he trailed off.

Luke laughed "you don't need to sell me... you had me at poop."

Jack was thrown for a second when Luke flashed that gorgeous grin. Calm down, he told himself... stop acting like this is a date. It's just a day of cleaning cages at the shelter.

"Ok, then" Jack stumbled "I'll see you tomorrow then? Around 8am?"

"I can meet you at the dog park? "Or I can pick you up if you like. I mean, I can give you an address too... umm... if you want to get there on your own... I don't have to bring you. Not that I don't want to bring you, that is. It's... umm... up to you I mean."

Jack stammered as he spoke. It was all babble and he knew he looked and sounded foolish. Now, even if this was an actual date - and he got Luke to spend some more time with him - that round of verbal diarrhea just flushed everything.

"I'd really appreciate a ride. Thanks. Do we bring the dogs with us?"

"I usually leave Theo with my best friend Reve, I'll call her ask her if she'll look after Olive too."

"No, that's Ok... I don't want to put her out. Besides, this friendliness thing with Olive might just be a fluke. There's no guarantee she'll be fine with your friend. Or that you're friend will even want another dog to look after. I'll just take her to daycare like I usually do. She'll be fine."

"No, seriously. I'll call Reve right now. Just hang tight."

Jack took Theo and stepped away from Luke and Olive, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

"Jack Attack!" She answered full of life "what's the what?"

"Hey you! I have a massive favor to ask. I met this guy..."

She cut him off mid sentence

"Yes"

"But you don't even know what it is yet? I could be asking you to give him a kidney" he laughed.

"It centers around you meeting a guy... of course I'll help you. I've been telling you to have faith and the universe will deliver."

"I need you to dog sit for me. I'm volunteering at the shelter... actually he and I are. Since I usually leave Theo with you, would you be willing to watch his dog for the day too? She's a sweet, quiet little Terrier... Olive."

"Of course I will. As long as her name isn't Cujo it'll all be fine" she let a short chuckle, amused at her own joke.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"All I ask is that you at least get to first base with him. I'm not asking for a full on first date fuck, but at least try to kiss the man."

Jack paused.

"All I can promise is that I'll try... cuz I really want to try" Jack laughed "but I don't think cleaning crappy cages is a turn on."

-

"It's not a problem for her" Jack told Luke "she's happy to help."

"Damn, thank you man!"

"Ok, so I'll meet you at the cafe just around the corner... Press Pawz. We can grab some breakfast and head over. They're a big supporter of the shelter so they have excellent dog snacks too."

Luke smiled his wide, bright grin and extended his hand "thank you for the invite, I can't wait to see you tomorrow."

Jack choked and sputtered "it's a date.... I mean... I - I'll see you tomorrow."

Date? It's a date? Jesus Christ, Jack thought to himself, can you sound any more pathetic?

He took Theo's leash as they slowly made their way home. Unable to stop himself, he glanced back over his shoulder watching Luke readying Olive for their walk too. He smiled and said to Theo "I have a date kiddo. Holy shit I have a date."

-

Jack barely slept, replaying the evening in his mind. Was he sure Luke understood properly... they were really going to meet at the cafe? He didn't dream it, did he? This was real? A gorgeous guy was going on a date with him?

In the morning Jack sat up, watching as Theo still slept at the foot of the bed. The minute he sensed any movement, Theo turned his head, jumped off the bed, and ran to the kitchen. At least one of them could eat breakfast... Jack's stomach was twisted in knots. He opened the fridge and grabbed a packet of fresh dog food for Theo then made himself some coffee. He couldn't even think about food until he was sure Luke wasn't going to stand him up. He still could, he thought. Just because he said yes didn't mean he was actually going to show. Maybe he was just being polite... not knowing how to say no.

He continuously checked his phone for a message from Luke when he suddenly realized... they never exchanged numbers. He couldn't call or text to cancel... he had no way of getting in touch. Jack prepared himself for the worst.

Around seven thirty Jack got Theo's leash, food and toys... everything Reve would need to entertain a dog for a day. They walked out the back door and down the path to the driveway. It was a bright, beautiful day... a put the top down on the convertible kind of day. Jack started his sunny yellow Camaro, dropped the top - double checked Theo - and headed into town.

-

Jack pulled up to cafe with no Luke or Olive in sight... pretty much as he expected. He parked on the street and they headed in... Jack for coffee, Theo for a biscuit. As he waited in line, his phone rang - it was a number he didn't recognize.

"Hello?" he answered hesitantly.

"Jack, it's Luke... are you at the cafe yet?"

"Ummm... yeah?"

"I'm so sorry, but..."

Jack cut him off, no reason to let him continue

"It's ok, maybe another time" He was trying to hide the disappointment in his voice.

"No, no... I just wanted to make sure you were there. I didn't have your number, so I texted Bob this morning and he gave it to me. Olive and I are at the dog park, I wanted to make sure I didn't miss you... we'll be right over."

Jack could feel his face flush as he smiled thinking 'holy shit, he actually showed.'

-

Luke entered the cafe, Olive in tow. "So... what's good here?'

"Well" Jack paused "I always get coffee... their French press is amazing... a breakfast sandwich for me and a treat for Theo."

Luke turned from the menu board and looked at Jack "then make that two of each" and smiled.

Jack waited for the order while Luke sat outside on a low brick wall next to the shop, the dogs at his feet. Soon enough Jack returned and they headed for the car.

-

A five minute ride and they pulled up near Reve's house. Jack got out, ran around to the passenger side, and opened the door for Luke - lending a hand as he fumbled with the dogs and leashes.

"And who said chivalry was dead?" Luke laughed.

Jack blushed. A deep, dark red. A 'feel the heat travel from your toes up to your face' blush. A 'haven't blushed like this in a long time' blush.

"I didn't want you to struggle with them alone."

Jack rang the doorbell and could heard footsteps approaching from inside.

"Jack Rabbit" she laughed, pulling him in for a hug "C'mon in!"

"Revelation Singh, this is Luke Larson and Olive"

She extended her hand to shake Luke's, then stooped down to shake Olive's... who didn't back away from the attention.

"Revelation?" Luke asked "that's a beautiful name."

"It's a silly name, go ahead... you can say it. Why my parents thought a book from the Bible was an appropriate name for a baby Hindu girl still baffles me. Every time I asked why, they said it seemed fitting - the way I revealed myself to them." She laughed "Call me Reve."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, and thank you so much for your help. Olive is very quiet and kinda shy, so don't be offended if she's a little stand-offish."

Reve reached down to pet Theo

"Theodore and I will show Olive a good time, won't we" she said in the sweetest pet-speak voice.

"Don't use that name, we both hate that name."

"As much as I hate the name Revelation, right Jackson?"

Jack winced, "point taken."

Luke handed Reve a duffle bag of things for Olive.

"Ok, call me if you need anything. Here's Theo's bag... we'll see you in a few hours."

Everyone hugged and the guys headed back to the car.

-

"Alright, buckle up... next stop Second Chance Sanctuary."

Traffic was light for a Saturday as they headed out North of the city. As Jack swung into a parking spot in the shelter's lot, Luke watched as a parade of people walked dogs down a path which ran through the middle of a large grassy area, lined with trees and benches.

"This place is wonderful" Luke noted "it looks nothing like I imagined."

Jack turned to smile at Luke "beautiful, isn't it? It's one of the reasons I come here. The animals are treated so well and the environment is heart warming."

Through the double doors, and up to a round desk in a large reception area, Jack was immediately greeted by a group of volunteers.

"Jack... right on time!" squealed one woman "nice to see you again."

Looking back, Jack motioned to Luke.

"This is Luke... he works at the publishing house with me. He's here to volunteer too."

The squealing woman came around from the desk and extended a hand to shake and introduced herself.

"I'm Rita, I manage the volunteers. Actually, they kinda manage themselves. Everyone does a little of everything. Have you done anything like this before?"

Luke smiled politely "yeah, before I moved here my ex and I used to volunteer at a shelter where we lived. That's how we adopted our... umm... I mean... my dog Olive.

"She's spending the day with Theo and Reve" Jack chimed in.

"Well, it's nice to meet you. Thanks for your help." Rita turned and walked away to begin a conversion with another group of volunteers.

"Ok... where do you want to start?" Jack asked "cleaning kennels, walking dogs, feeding time..."

"Hey, I'm here for whatever. You point me in a direction... or I'll follow you?"

Jack looked at Luke thoughtfully "So, the job people hate the most is cleaning the kennels. Me, I find it rewarding. Who doesn't like to come into a clean space."

"Cleaning kennels it is."

Jack walked Luke to the back of the building, opening a door to a storage area full of supplies. Items for cleaning and stacks of fresh bedding. Pet beds, blankets, sheets, towels... items donated to place on the floors of the cages for a comfy spot to lay. Jack grabbed a caddy full of bottles, sprays and rags.

Jack pointed Luke down a hallway lined with kennels on both sides. The dogs barked loudly, excited for the visitors.

"Hi babies!" Jack exclaimed brightly "time to freshen up your places."

Luke smiled watching Jack.

"You know, this is the first time I haven't seen you want to sink into the background. You're usually so quiet. You look down at your feet a lot, too. But here you're different."

Jack put his arm around Luke's shoulder and guided him to one of the last cages.

"Well, this is who I used to be. Before Mike. I used to be happy and loud and up front. It's not that I wanted to be, or needed to be, the center of attention - it's just I was naturally outgoing." Jack stopped. He wondered if Luke really needed to hear his pre Mike/post Mike story.

Jack grabbed a sponge and a bottle of non toxic, animal friendly cleaner. His large frame didn't fit in the cage, so he poked his head in, leaning and stretching to wipe down the kennel - from front to back and top to bottom - and scrubbing across the floors. Luke watched, soaking in the demonstration, and moved to the next empty cage, repeating the process.

"Anyway, Mike cheated on me... with my best friend of all people, and just kind of deflated me. He took all my confidence with him. I've lost any reason to be happy. Not that I feel hopeless or anything like that, its just I don't feel like me anymore."

Jack backed out of the cage he was cleaning, prepared to move to the next.

"If you don't mind me saying, Mike sounded like a real ass. I'm sorry, but with your best friend? Really?"

Jack laughed "no, I don't mind you saying at all."

Hours passed as the two scrubbed cages, walked dogs, got bowls ready for feedings and played with the cats. It was mid day and the large group of people there to help had the place spotless. Chores were finished quickly this week with the extra hands... it was approaching dinner time.

"Do you have any plans this evening?" Jack asked "would you like to grab something to eat. My treat for all your help today."

"That'd be great, but shouldn't we check with your friend to see if she doesn't mind keeping the dogs a little longer?"

"I'll call her, but if I know Reve, all three of them are curled up on the sofa watching Hallmark movies" he laughed.

They leaned against the car as Jack dialed the phone.

"Jack-in-the-Box!" she yelled "are you done at the shelter?"

"Just leaving, plenty of people here today so things wrapped up a lot quicker. Would you mind keeping the dogs a little longer? I'd like to take Luke to dinner."

"Ooooh, taking the boy out" she said mockingly "have you reached a base yet?"

Jack laughed "please stop. Yes or no? Could you keep the dogs a little longer?"

"Of course. We're just curled up on the sofa watching Hallmark."

"Hang on a second... I'm gonna put you on speaker... and behave please."

Jack leaned closer into Luke "you're on speaker. Now tell me again what the three of you are doing?"

"Sitting on he sofa watching Hallmark movies? "Reve sounded confused. A large smile broke out over Luke's face "why? are the dogs not allowed to watch Hallmark?"

"No... no... you're good. Thank you for your help. See you in a little while."

The guys burst into loud laughter "do I know her, or do I know her."

-

Jack drove a short distance to Sunny Side Diner... he ate there every time he worked at the shelter.

Luke scanned the menu "what do you recommend?"

"How do you feel about breakfast for dinner?" Jack pointed to the French toast "definitely worth it."

"Well, you've persuaded me once more. Has anyone ever told you you're very persuasive?" He laughed

Carmen, their waitress, came by for their orders

"Jack, sweetie, how are you this morning? Was it shelter day?"

"Yep... my Saturday for volunteering. Luke was with me at the shelter today, so I'm treating him to dinner."

Carmen grabbed her order pad "something to drink?"

Jack ordered coffee, Luke went for hot chocolate.

"Hot chocolate? It has to be like 85 degrees outside" Jack smiled.

"Only when I want to relax.... this morning was a lot."

"You should have said something... we could have left earlier!"

"No. No... I love it as a way to unwind, reminds me of being a kid."

The guys chatted while they ate, mostly work related. Jack told Luke what books he was currently working on... specifically right now 'Princess Pig' and the illustrations he was drawing. Luke laughed at some of the cute ideas Jack had in mind for the pig. Luke filled Jack in on the book he was currently writing... a YA novel about two teens who fall for each other while working in an animal shelter.

"So I see" Jack laughingly mocked "You didn't want to spend any time with me... it was all just research." He smiled.

"More like inspiration."

"Does this book have a name yet?" Jack asked.

Luke paused "Well, not yet. They shot down what I suggested - Shelter Me - and are playing with their own ideas. As long as they're happy, they pay me, and it sells... they can call it anything they want."

"I like Shelter Me" Jack offered as support "but I think 'Puppy Love' is more appropriate.

"Oh my god... that's brilliant!" Luke said in total shock "I've got to write that down. I'm going to pitch that. Thank you! Is it alright if I steal that from you?"

"Steal away.., it's not like I'm going to use it. My books come already written and named."

Luke took out his phone and made a few notes to himself. Reminders of the name and where he can change the story a little playing with the new title. They finished up their meals and when Carmen brought the bill, Luke quickly snatched it.

"No, no, no!" Jack protested "this is me paying you for helping out today."

"You don't need to pay me. I had a good time... plus I owe you for the book title" He smiled.

-

Full, a little tired, and ready to be reunited with their dogs, Jack drove to Reve's house. Knocking on the door, he heard Theo's familiar barking. Nothing from Olive, but Luke expected that.

Reve answered the door, Theo at her side - tail wagging furiously - and Olive at her feet tail going full speed too. Theo ran to Jack as he knelt down to shower him with attention. While Olive didn't bolt out the door, she did run to Luke... excited to see him again. He picked her up in his arms and was showered with doggie kisses.

"How was she today?" Luke asked Reve.

"A little bundle of energy" she smiled "followed Theo around wherever he went. Even when I took them in the yard." She took a moment to watch the reunion "she played with him and he seemed to love her company."

Luke just shook his head "after all this time, a chance encounter with a stranger and his dog changed her." He looked at Jack "I can't thank you enough."

Jack smiled and patted Luke's shoulder "don't thank me. Maybe Olive was just ready to let go of whatever held her back. Maybe she needed the right person" he smiled "Like I said, maybe a shy dog needed to meet a shy guy."

Jack and Luke hugged Reve goodbye. Luke pulled out his wallet and offered Reve some money for going through all the trouble of watching Olive. She consistently refused it until Luke gave up.

"Tell you what" she smiled "use that money to take my boy here out on a proper date."

Jack turned bright red, his usual stance - head down... staring at his feet. He felt like he wanted to run. How could she say that? They never got to the point of discussing dating. Maybe Luke wasn't interested? What if he was really there just to actually volunteer? Reve made a very large assumption that now put both guys in an awkward spot.

"Thanks again" Jack smiled to Reve before turning to Luke "can I just have one quick minute before we go?"

"I'll wait at the car while you guys talk."

Jack glared at Reve "what the hell was that? You might have just scared him away! Now he thinks I'm desperate - and worse, he may never have been interested at all - so I'll never have a chance to even begin to win him over!"

"Didn't he just spend an entire day with you? Didn't you have dinner together? Baby, he's interested. Stop selling yourself short."

"I - I've gotta go. Love you."

"Wait, Jack... wait a minute!" Reve called after him. "How do you feel about him?"

He stared blankly at first, his face slowly - almost unsteadily - spreading to a smile.

"Is it to soon to say I like him... a lot. I know it's so fast, but he just gives me these feelings - and not just my head swimming, but I think he's getting feelings too" he looked down and patted the bulging mound straining against the buttons of his jeans.

Reve's face grimaced "TMI, Jackson!" she laughed "I'd say follow your heart, but I'd bet you'll follow whoever has dibs on the blood flow."

Jack walked off the porch and headed to the car. Luke was in the passenger seat, Olive sitting in his lap. Jack opened the drivers door, Theo squeezed into the back seat while Jack slipped behind the steering wheel.

The drive to Luke's house was beautiful. The sunlight dimming as evening began. The top down on the car, a pleasant breeze stirring the air... blowing through their hair. The dogs sitting contently. Jack was fighting with his own emotions... his heart saying this was a date. His brain reminding his heart that they didn't date anymore.

But what if he did date?

What if that hardness in his jeans, that hardness making its way up to his waistband, didn't have to be ignored? Reaching out for happiness would be as easy as reaching out for Luke's hand. Thoughts raced through his mind.

12