Quaranteam Aotearoa Ch. 01

Story Info
DuoHalo hits New Zealand shores.
14.2k words
4.85
6.2k
36
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Introduction

This is a spinoff of CorruptingPower's Quaranteam Universe and was written with his consent. While other stories in the QT universe can be read independently, this one follows from the events in QT2.14. I strongly recommend you, at least, read that chapter first, if not start from the very beginning.

My thanks go to the collective mind that is my fellow QT writers, Agathon, BirchesLovBooks, BreakTheBar, BronanTheLibrarian, OtterlyMindblowing, RonanJWilkeson, SilverRyden and The_Licentious_Laureate for all of their input and reviews.

For those not familiar, Aotearoa (pronounced r tay a row a) was originally the name of New Zealand's North Island but has now become synonymous with the Māori name for New Zealand. It translates to "Land of the Long White Cloud".

Enjoy the story.

Chapter 1 - A Saucerful of Secrets

'No plan survives contact with the enemy'. Attributed to Helmuth von Moltke ("The Elder"), 1800-1891

Friday 20th March - Friday 20th December 2020

The only thing that changed for Caleb Whitehead when the Covid lockdowns began in late March, in New Zealand, was the location of his office. Before the twenty-first of March, he was commuting an hour each way to his office in central Wellington, after the twenty-first, his commute to his home office was all of two minutes, five if he picked up a coffee on the way. He had been married to Ellie for five years and they now lived on a lifestyle property, a smallholding, of two hectares, sixty kilometres north of Wellington.

Caleb first met Ellie in 2010 when they were both stationed in Afghanistan. Caleb was a Captain in the 1st New Zealand Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment and Ellie was an Ensign Medic in the New Zealand Navy. She had been on duty at the base hospital when Caleb brought some of his team who were injured into the hospital. Caleb still thinks it was at this point he started to fall in love with Ellie. They took time to get to know each other, only being able to meet up occasionally during the first three years as they were not often in the same country. Their relationship really took off when they were both stationed back home for an extended time in 2014. When Ellie left the Navy in 2015, Caleb proposed, and they married soon after. Caleb left the Army in 2016 and now worked as a freelance Project Manager. Ellie had retrained as a chef and in late 2018 she'd opened her own café in the local beach area. Sadly, when the lockdowns set in Ellie had to close the doors, she had no idea if or when they would be able to re-open.

Caleb first heard about DuoHalo and the associated high death toll at the end of April, not that anyone called it that, at that time everyone was saying it was just a different variant of Covid. He had finally been able to talk with one of the senior managers based in Sydney, Australia who was associated with the project.

"We're not really being told anything definite," Samantha told him, "Any time there's an update on TV it's just keep isolating, follow the protocols. What I do know is that whatever it is, it seems to affect men far worse than women. A couple of my friends caught Covid, and so did their families. One couple are recovering but the other, my friend's on the mend, but she's lost her husband and teenage daughter. We've lost about a third of the workforce over here, mostly men. Our IT team has been decimated. We have no idea if and when any of them will return and we've only been able to find a few replacements. We're still working but with a much-reduced capacity." she said.

Caleb tried to Google for information on the Australian situation but couldn't find much. What little he did find talked about deaths but not in the numbers Sam mentioned. Caleb decided to see whether his old military contacts could tell him anything. He called to his old commanding officer; fifteen minutes later he hit the End Call button. Now he was feeling even more frustrated and more than a little concerned. His old boss had told him that the government and the Ministry of Health were aware of the situation in Australia. It had been exacerbated, he said, because the federal government and certain state governments had been slow to react to Covid and that had allowed a new variant to also take hold. The word he was getting from his contacts over the ditch was that everything was now under control. He also said that the Chief of Defence Force had reiterated that the government were confident that this particular variant would not reach New Zealand shores. It was this last statement that caused him the greatest concern. This felt like a classic example of Finagle's Law that Anything that can go wrong, will--at the worst possible moment.

Caleb sat thinking for several minutes before calling Ellie, who would be somewhere about the property. He picked up the walkie-talkie that lay on his desk and pressed the Speak button. It was close to four in the afternoon when Ellie returned as, when they spoke, Caleb had said it wasn't urgent. Ellie was dressed in her usual work clothes for that time of year, a sleeveless t-shirt that showed off the golden colour of her skin on her arms and shoulders and beneath her waist she wore shorts, exposing her toned legs to his hungry gaze. Her blonde hair was in its usual ponytail, her face smudged with dirt from the work she'd been doing outside. Her blue eyes sparkling as she looked back at him, her thick nipples making their presence known even through the sports bra she wore under her t-shirt. Ellie would have liked to go braless when working on the property, particularly in warmer summer months but her bounteous 36D breasts made that impractical on a regular basis. She reserved that for special occasions when she was able to taunt Caleb. She knew the effect it had on him when she didn't wear a bra and she loved to tease him as the outcome was usually a very satisfying orgasm, or three, for her.

"So, what is it we need to talk about? You want to buy some more camera gear?" Ellie asked, her eyebrows raised.

Caleb laughed sheepishly., "Not this time," he said, "No, this is more serious." He grabbed two beers from the fridge. "Let's go sit on the patio and talk."

When they were seated Caleb shared his conversation with Sam, with Ellie. He relayed what she had told him and the conclusions he had drawn from her statements. He recounted the conversation he'd had with his old commander, and he told Ellie of his concerns, that he was somewhat worried that overconfidence would lead to mistakes. Finally, he told her about the limited amount of information that he'd found on the internet and its speculative nature.

"Do you think we're at risk?" Ellie asked.

Again, Caleb sighed, "Honestly I don't know. I think they are suppressing information, but I don't know what. It's not just the Australians, I think our government, probably every government, is blocking any mention of this new strain. There are rumours and theories out there but who knows which are real and which are just shit stirring."

"So, what should we do?" Ellie asked.

"Keep calm and carry on," Caleb snorted. "No seriously, I think we should make sure our stock of protective gear is good, and maybe grab some extra items at the supermarket each time we go. Make sure we have a good supply of animal feed. We should limit our trips off the property as much as we can. That's about all we can do until we know more. We're about to move to alert Level three, so I think we should just exercise a bit of extra caution."

"Okay, sorted," Ellie said, getting up from her chair and moving to Caleb, she sat in his lap.

"Now," she said, with a glint in her eyes, "I need a shower and then we should eat."

Over the next six months, nothing much really happened. New Zealand moved between the various alert levels with increasing levels of freedom so that by October the country was almost back to normal. There were still protocols in place but the most visible sign of the loosening of the reins was that mask-wearing was the exception and not the rule. Caleb and Ellie chose to follow the protocols, only leaving their home when absolutely necessary, wearing a mask whenever they did go out. They stocked up on those items their home couldn't provide. They continued to regularly search the internet for any information on the virus but all they could find was information about existing Covid variants, like Delta and Omicron. There was nothing about the more deadly strain.

The news out of Australia was grim and it was becoming widely known in New Zealand; almost everyone had family, friends or colleagues who lived and worked in Australia and the losses were starting to affect more and more of the New Zealand public and people were becoming angry that having lost lots of friends or family members, they could not travel to grieve with those who remained. The New Zealand government had been forced, at the end of May, to acknowledge what was happening not just in Australia but in other parts of the world.

"What I want to reiterate," the government spokesperson said, "is that our borders are locked and controlled. The Ministry of Health has confirmed with the Prime Minister that New Zealand's border protocols are more than sufficient to prevent any new strains of Covid reaching our shores." This message was repeated at every subsequent press conference or governmental announcement.

Saturday 21st November 2020

The news that most of the deaths that had occurred over the last eight or nine months were not due to Covid but a different virus, DuoHalo, broke late on the twenty-first. It was Samantha who told him of what was actually going on in Australia. It was close to five when she called him on Microsoft Teams on his mobile.

"It's not Covid," she began without preamble when he accepted the call. "It's a virus called DuoHalo. The authorities issued a statement a couple of hours ago. This bloke, a Lieutenant-Colonel Tiberius Marshall I think it was, told us about the magnitude of the situation, how many men and women had died, especially men." Sam's voice caught in her throat. "But, he also said, there was a cure. He then turned the mike over to some other bloke, I think he was a scientist, who explained how the vaccine worked. He said that a man needs to be paired with several women to gain enough immunity to survive. I mean, what the hell's that all about? The scientist also talked about some other things but, to be honest, a lot of it went in one ear and out the other after the multiple partners' details. Anyway, the other fella, Marshall, got up again. He told us the first step would be to complete the Oracle survey which could be accessed on the government website. The page has been overloaded and we haven't been able to get in yet." There was a note of panic in her voice. "President Pelosi spoke to the American people earlier this afternoon and we followed soon after. I wish I knew what was going on back in the UK, I've still got family there."

"So what happens once you've provided your information? And what do you need to do to stay safe for now?" Caleb asked.

"Honestly," Samantha replied, "I don't what happens next. As for staying safe, we carry on as we are, isolating, cleaning everything twice, wearing masks if we have to go out. Harry and I have been lucky so far so here's hoping our luck holds until they administer this cure they're talking about." Samantha turned her head to the side. "It looks like we're into the website. I need to go enter my details. I'll try and let you know more when I do. Good luck Caleb." She ended the call not waiting for his response.

Caleb sat back in his chair thinking about what Samantha had told him. He accessed one of the local news sites and saw a huge headline, 'New Zealand Borders Impenetrable'. Caleb clicked on the link to the article. The page displayed held both a video and a written article. Caleb selected Play on the video first. The Prime Minister walked into shot from the right of the frame, her face composed in a sombre expression. Beginning her speech with the usual round of condolences and sadness, the Prime Minister quickly moved to re-assuring the New Zealand public that the country's borders were unbreached and would remain so. She went on to regurgitate her previous speeches talking about all of the protocols that were in place and had kept the people safe for the last eight months. When she finished speaking reporters in attendance began questioning her. Any question about alternate options was answered with a skillful redirection to the existing state, the borders are safe, and protocols are in place. Caleb could almost detect a hint of smugness in the Prime Minister's voice.

The rest of the article offered nothing new either. He decided to google President Pelosi's speech and got several hits on this search. He clicked on the first, a YouTube video, it displayed the window okay but when he tried to play it he got a message stating that the video was not available in his region. He got the outcome from each of the sites he visited. He then tried to find the Australian speech but had no better luck with that. Finally, he searched on the name, Tiberius Marshall. This, of all places, led Caleb to LinkedIn where Tiberius Marshall had a short bio. He was listed as Major Tiberius Marshall, Australian Armed Forces SASR (ret.), there wasn't anything else. The photo that accompanied the bio showed a man who looked similar in age to himself. It was a typical head and shoulders shot so gave nothing more away. Well, thought Caleb, if this is the same guy then his retirement had been cut short. Frustrated by the little information he'd been able to uncover, he turned the laptop off. He needed to discuss this with Ellie.

She took one look at Caleb and asked, "What's up and don't say nothing." Caleb sighed deeply and began sharing everything he'd been told and what he'd discovered over the last forty minutes, that it was not Covid but another virus, DuoHalo, that the Aussies had a cure that they were going to be deploying, that the New Zealand government were fixated on the impenetrability of the borders. He told her of his fruitless searches for further information.

"So, what do we do?" Ellie asked, cutting right to the chase.

"Nothing," Caleb replied, "At least, nothing more than we're already doing. And honestly, I don't what more we can do."

"Should we cancel next month's trip?" she inquired.

Caleb sat, thinking, eventually, he said, "I don't think we should cancel anything just yet. Let's just keep an eye on things. Who knows? Maybe the borders will hold. I don't want us to shut ourselves away and not do anything ever. Who knows how long this situation will last? We know a little of what's happening in Aus and the US, but what about the UK, Sam doesn't know, and she has family there. What about Europe, Africa or Asian countries, we've heard nothing about any of them. If we do decide to go away we're going to be in the bush away from other people so it should be right."

"Okay hun, I trust you," Ellie answered.

As November moved into December it seemed as though their fears were unjustified. The border controls were still in place and there had been no reported cases of the DuoHalo, and only few of Covid. He hadn't spoken with Sam but she had messaged him that she was in the queue to be vaccinated and that along with her husband, she would become part of a team, whatever that meant.

Friday 11th December 2020

Caleb was working away, ensuring his absence wouldn't slow things down when he heard the door of his home office open but didn't look away from his computer. It could only be one person, his beautiful wife Ellie. He felt her arms slide over his shoulders and down his chest, stopping just above his waist. Ellie kissed his cheek and spoke quietly into his ear.

"You nearly finished?" Her breath on his ear sent a shiver down his spine, a very pleasant sensation and one he loved, particularly when they were making love. Caleb swivelled around in his chair so that he was facing Ellie. Her arms were now wrapped around his neck. He could see her nipples making their presence known in her t-shirt with her full breasts standing proudly out from her lithe frame. The shorts she wore hugged a full and well-rounded bottom; her blonde hair tied back in a ponytail reaching halfway down her back. She really was the total package. Five years married and Caleb was still mesmerised by her physical beauty.

Caleb ran his hands gently up the back of Ellie's thighs, causing her to giggle, a lovely girlish sound from this beautiful thirty-three-year-old woman. His fingers slipped under the legs of her shorts, kneading the delicious cheeks of her arse. She leaned down again and pressed her lips to his, their mouths closed for a minute before they simultaneously opened, their tongues beginning a familiar dance. Moving his hands out of Ellie's shorts, Caleb ran them lightly over her stomach and then slid them up to cup her full breasts. he grasped a nipple between each thumb and forefinger, rolling and pinching them as they kissed. Without breaking contact, Ellie moaned into his mouth. Moving her hand down to his crotch, she could feel his length rock-hard beneath her hand. She ran her fingers up and down his shaft, firmly grasping his solid flesh. Breaking the kiss, Caleb moved his hands back around Ellie's waist.

"I have about another hour's work if we want to get away first thing tomorrow," he said reluctantly.

Ellie rested her forehead against his, huffing slightly. "Okay spoilsport," she replied, smiling. She kissed him once more and then pulled back. Maybe we can soak the stress away in the hot tub later, once we're packed of course," she said with a sly smile on her face.

"Sounds good to me," Caleb smiled back. "Now shoo and let me work."

"All done?" she asked.

"Yup," he replied, "three weeks of no work, just time to kick back and relax."

Later that evening when everything they needed for their hike was ready, Caleb tended the fire that heated the hot tub; the water was warm and ready to receive them. Turning the deck lights out as she walked out onto the patio Ellie gracefully opened the towel she was wearing, displaying her wonderfully naked body. Caleb stood spellbound, drinking in her beauty. Her hair, now freed from its ponytail, hung over her left shoulder obscuring her breast. The other was fully exposed to his gaze; well-rounded, beautifully generous, capped by an areola about three centimetres across with a thick nipple at the centre. Caleb wasn't sure if it was excitement or cold, but Ellie's nipple was standing proud of her breast, he wanted to take it in his mouth and bite down on it just the way she loved it. Caleb's gaze travelled down; over the sleek belly she had maintained since leaving the Navy. Down to the junction between her legs. A triangle of trimmed blonde hair pointing the way to her pussy, the inner lips of which protruded out slightly.

"Are you joining me in the tub or are you just going to stand there and drool?" she asked laughing.