Quaranteam Aotearoa Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The new sites did make reference to American and German vaccines. Seemingly, the government was in talks to secure some doses, late to the party as always Caleb thought, but nobody knew the outcome of those discussions, a lot of the politicians had died alongside other members of society. The government was almost all gone but so was the opposition. It seemed like there was no one left to run the country. Every so often Caleb and Ellie would stop to discuss their findings. Were either of them experiencing any of the symptoms? How did they avoid it so far? The answer appeared to be that their planning had paid off, and then luck took over. Their week in the bush, away from everyone, when the virus was spreading through every city and town, continued their isolation. Even coming home, they had needed fuel, but the petrol stations were on self-service, and there was no one else around. Still, the chances of staying clear of infection seemed slim. Could they stay isolated until........until what? The rest of the country was dead. Could they, should they try to help?

By five o'clock they were still undecided. It was at this point that Caleb discovered that he could now access both the US president's speech and a Sixty Minutes special that had played after it, someone had posted them on some obscure website that he had just found. Caleb called Ellie over. He moved over, making room as she pulled her chair in front of his screen. Caleb started the video clip.

"Good evening, America," began President Pelosi...............

"Take care of each other, love each other, and keep moving forward, over, and over. Together."

These final words were spoken by the serious-faced man who stared back from the screen at Caleb and Ellie. Andy Rook had quite the household. Twenty-one wives, partners and staff, staff? What the actual fuck? This seemed like some Kardashian kind of shit, but it wasn't. This, according to the US, was the new normal. Caleb turned to look at Ellie.

Ellie was shaking her head.

"Nah," she said, "na-ahah. Multiple partners? No way mister, you're mine, all mine".

There was a fierceness in her voice that stirred something in Caleb. In the midst of all this tragedy and horror, he felt himself hardening in response to her words. His hand went to the back of her head, gripping her hair, pulling her towards him. Their lips met, their mouths opened, and their tongues duelled for several long seconds.

"You are the only woman I need," Caleb growled at Ellie. They clung to one another for several minutes, each lost in their own thoughts. Finally, Ellie drew back slightly, her expression softened and she snorted quietly.

"Not according to what we just read and watched," She answered. "If this is true, and not just some sick joke, you need at least four partners to keep you healthy."

"I'll be okay with just you," Caleb replied. "That's assuming we can get vaccinated."

Ellie stared at him. Her eyes roaming his face, as if taking in every aspect of him. He could see a war going on behind her eyes. Her love for him, and only him, competing with the worry that she would not be enough to keep him safe. Ellie turned back to his laptop and opened the video of the President's speech, she started it again, from the beginning, fast-forwarding through the speech until she found the section she wanted.

"In working to develop a vaccine or a cure for DuoHalo, our scientists discovered a stopgap solution that has unfortunately turned into a lifeline, so that we do not lose what few remaining men we have here in the United States. The medical treatment our scientists have developed is lethal when given directly to men, but when given to women, the treatment can be passed on to men through sexual contact. Essentially, we have made a sexually transmitted vaccine. It was certainly not what we had hoped for, but it is what we have available to us. And, more importantly, we know that it works, not some of the time, but all the time. With 100% certainty. Even someone who has been infected with DuoHalo can make a complete recovery if they are given the treatment fast enough. Among those who have taken the treatment, we have not had any deaths due to DuoHalo. This will allow our country to live on, but several changes are being made, rewriting some of our fundamental laws of society, for a time, at least."

Ellie shook her head and again hopped the video forward several times, finally finding the place she wanted she let the video run, the President continuing to speak..

"Starting immediately, marriage for men of age is becoming compulsory. There will be a grace period, of course, as we work over the next few months to ensure that every eligible male of age is paired up with not one but multiple wives. Shared marriages are no longer illegal; they are, in fact, mandatory. Those precious few men we as a nation have remaining need new mental and emotional support systems, as we expect survivor syndrome to hit hard. Polyamory will not necessarily remain the lay of the land for generations to come, but for next twenty years or so, it will certainly be so, and a single man may have as many wives as he feels comfortable with. We expect the number to vary from four upwards, but in some rare cases may even include dozens. It will be mandatory for a man to have at least four wives, and partners will be repeatedly sent to surviving men to ensure this. This one-to-many ratio is for the ensured prolonged health of our few remaining men, as the more female partners a man has, the stronger his immunity to DuoHalo will be."

Ellie stopped the video once more. She stared at the screen for several long minutes. Caleb chose to remain silent while she was lost in thought. When she was ready they would discuss it, as they did about everything.

"No," Ellie responded emphatically, "I love you. I want you healthy and whole. You're right, we don't know if and how we can get vaccinated, but I refuse to give up. I have to believe we'll get vaccinated and that means you're going to need more than me to keep you safe."

"Should we talk this through?" he asked.

Ellie thought for a moment. She shook her head. "No! There's nothing to talk about. YOU need to stay fit and healthy. I need you to be fit and healthy. If that's means you need to fuck more than just me, well that's what you'll do."

"Ellie, he said softly. "You know you're the only..."

He didn't get a chance to finish the sentence as Ellie interrupted him, "I know," she said. "I know you love me and only me, but this isn't about our love. This is about survival." She pointed at his laptop, the image of the President still frozen on the screen, "We need to do this to survive. You're the best man I know Caleb Whitehead, and I know you will treat anyone who joins us, properly. That's another good reason for you to survive," she smiled at him, "we need good men, men like you."

She kissed him hard, her arms wrapped around his neck, crushing herself to him. They continued to debate the need for Ellie to share him with other women over the next couple of hours. Ellie's arguments only getting stronger, Caleb's weaker. Her reasoning was sound. The more partners he had the higher his resistance. The one thought that nagged at Caleb's mind was, he had a perfect marriage, and he didn't want to damage that. Of course, they fought. No relationship that lasts over time is without its ups and downs, but they always found a way to communicate, to reach a resolution. That could be totally disrupted by adding new people into the mix. Still, all of that depended on them getting access to the vaccine and he had no answer to when and how they would get it. The answer to that question came by text at 10:30 that night. Both of their phones broadcast the klaxon-like sound that indicated a national alert. Caleb grabbed his phone and called up the message.

"We're being told to assemble at the nearest location to receive the vaccine. For us that's Sky Stadium in Wellington," Held told Ellie.

"What else does it say?" Ellie asked.

"Nothing," Caleb replied, "Just that, assemble at the stadium to get vaccinated. There are several locations listed. Fuck, they've only got one South Island location covered. What about Dunedin or Queenstown? Here's hoping some of them can get to Christchurch."

"I'm going to call Robert and make sure he's seen it," Ellie said.

"And he and Barbara have the strength to get there," Caleb thought but didn't say.

"Robert?" Ellie's voice cut through the silence. "Don't talk, save your energy. You and Barbara need to get to Sky Stadium. They are going to be vaccinating people. Just get there alright."

Ellie listened for a moment longer, but Caleb was unsure if Robert replied.

"Okay we'll see you there," Ellie said before putting her phone down.

"God, I hope they make it,"

Tears were flowing down her cheeks again. Caleb stepped to her and took her in his arms. He didn't know what to say, was there anything he could say that wouldn't seem hollow? They clung on to each other, taking strength from the other's presence. Finally, Caleb spoke, "We need to get ready and go as well," he said. "Uniforms, I think. It may help and it won't hurt."

Ellie nodded into his chest, and they released their hold of each other. They moved to the bedroom, stripping off their clothes as they went. Ten minutes later they were dressed in their fatigues, Ellie's dark blue of the Navy and Caleb's camouflage colours. Both had chosen to remain in the reserves once they had left active duty and both were authorised to wear their uniforms in the right circumstances, and this definitely seemed like the right circumstances. Ellie closed up the house while Caleb pulled the truck out of the garage. It was a large Toyota Prado with seven seats. Plenty of room if they did actually get new partners although neither of them could really believe that would happen. As Ellie belted herself into her seat and closed her door, Caleb put the Prado in Drive and they moved forward.

***

00:10 Saturday 19th December 2020

It was just after midnight when Caleb and Ellie arrived at the Cake Tin, Wellingtonians' affectionate name for the Sky Stadium. They had parked their vehicle down beside the railway station, and the stadium carpark, and the street that it was on was already blocked by other vehicles. They walked through the station heading for the concourse that led to the stadium. There were already several hundred people lining up in front of the stadium gates with more arriving as they walked along the walkway that led to the stadium entrances. Typical Kiwis, Caleb thought, a major crisis and still people line up in an orderly manner. There were a few men, it was mostly women, some with children, congregating, everyone looking scared, some looking angry. Caleb hoped this wasn't going to turn ugly. Mothers and fathers held onto their young children, and older children staying close to their parents. Some of the younger people, those in their late teens or early twenties looked like they had been out clubbing, dressed to enjoy one last party perhaps, wearing a mix of short dresses, tight jeans, and t-shirts. All of them were probably infected to a greater or lesser extent.

Caleb could hear the sounds of crying coming from several of the groups. Everyone had a mask on, which was one good thing, and they were trying to keep some space around them but with more arriving all the time it was difficult to maintain the recommended two metres. Caleb thought it had been a good idea for him and Ellie to wear their military fatigues. The uniforms were allowing them to bypass the already queueing people and get to the gates which were locked. As they moved past the lines a man stepped out, he was holding a small boy, maybe two years old.

"Are you in charge? Do you know what's going on?" the man asked Caleb.

Caleb immediately straightened, looking at the man, "No sir, I'm sorry I don't. I'm headed up to the gate now to try and find out. I'll pass the word around as soon as I know something." The man coughed into the elbow of the arm that wasn't holding the child. He looked tired and Caleb could see his chest rising and falling as he breathed. "You hang in there. I'll see what's happening," Caleb told him.

Caleb and Ellie continued walking. Looking back over his shoulder, Caleb could see the crowd had grown quite a bit, even in that short amount of time. Reaching the gates, they looked through them to see who they could find. Three police officers were standing three meters behind the gates, a sergeant and two constables, all three were female. The two constables looked to be in their early twenties and the sergeant probably late twenties, although it was difficult to tell more with all the protective gear they were wearing. The sergeant was shorter than the other two, probably just under 167cm (5ft 6in) one of the constables appeared to be about the same height as Ellie, the third one looked to be as tall, if not taller than Caleb. They were spaced out, keeping their distance from each other.

"Who's in charge here?," Caleb asked. The officers looked at each other, looked back at Caleb's uniform, and then looked at each other again without answering. "Come on," Caleb barked, "someone must be in charge."

Again, the three shared a look before the sergeant stepped forward slightly, "I guess that would be me, or at least me up here," Caleb could hear the tremor in her voice, "Sir," she added belatedly.

"What do you mean up here? Ellie asked.

The sergeant turned her attention to Ellie. "There's another sergeant and four officers on the lower level Ma'am, waiting to let the Americans in when they arrive."

"Americans?" Caleb asked.

"Yes sir," The sergeant replied. "Apparently they are flying into a number of places to administer the vaccine and Wellington's one of them."

Caleb and Ellie looked at each other. With an unspoken nod, they made the decision to keep what they had found out to themselves. No point in increasing people's level of fear and uncertainty any more than it already was. People were arriving, that was the good thing. They were waiting patiently at the moment, also a good thing. Caleb turned back to the sergeant, "Is there an ETA for their arrival?" Caleb asked.

The sergeant turned her attention back to him. Caleb could see the panic starting to creep into her eyes, "Deep breath sergeant," Caleb said in his best command voice. "Let it out slow. Okay, let's try again," Caleb softened his voice, "Do you know when the Americans are due to arrive?"

"N..No sir," The sergeant stuttered.

"Is there a senior officer coordinating this effort somewhere?" Caleb asked.

"I don't think so," the sergeant replied. "We all got a text from our Inspector telling us to get down here but nothing else. I've tried calling him, but it just goes to voicemail." Given their experience trying to contact Ellie's brother and sister, Caleb wasn't all that surprised.

"Okay," Caleb replied, "I am Major Caleb Whitehead, New Zealand Army Reserve, this is my wife, Sub-Lieutenant Eleanor Whitehead, New Zealand Navy Reserve. I am going to ask you to let us in so we can get some things sorted out. Is that okay?" The sergeant's shoulders seemed to drop, as though with a sense of relief someone was willing to take charge. She hurried forward and unlocked a gate. Caleb and Ellie quickly went through so that she could lock it again. Some of the crowd surged forward thinking that things were happening.

"What's going on?" "Let us in please," came shouts from the crowd.

Caleb turned to face the assembly. Again, he used his command voice, the one he'd used many times to get people, often innocent bystanders, out of perilous situations.

"Please remain calm. Keep a suitable distance between you and your neighbours. I'll be back to give everyone an update as soon as I can. In the meantime, try and relax, as much as you can in the circumstances."

There was a rueful laugh from some of the audience but thankfully people moved back to their original places. Good, people were still willing to listen. He suspected that everyone was too worn down by loss and fear to have room for any other emotion; anger would come later. Later, when they realised how they had been let down by the government, the very people that were supposed to guide New Zealand through any situation, good or bad. Caleb looked at his watch, it was one-fifteen. He looked up at the crowd and could see it now stretched all the way back to the station. Anyone would think the Hurricanes were playing.

Turning back to the sergeant Caleb said, "Right, let's go see the other sergeant and see if they have any news. Ellie, can you stay here with the officers please?" Ellie nodded her agreement.

"What's your name sergeant?," Caleb asked, "I don't want to keep calling you sergeant all the time."

"It's Beth, Sir," she replied.

"Hi, Beth and it's Caleb and Ellie. Rank's not important, not tonight, and not under these circumstances. Who's the other sergeant?"

"Her name's Lorna," Beth replied.

"Okay, get Lorna on the radio and tell her to meet us in the main foyer of the stadium," Caleb ordered gently.

As they both headed to the main doors Beth pulled out her radio and called up her colleague, "Lorna, I've got the Army here, they want to find out what's going on. Can you meet us in the main foyer, by the lifts?"

A voice crackled over the radio, "The Army, who's army? Ours? Thank fuck for that."

Caleb could hear the sense of relief in the disembodied voice. Caleb and Beth opened the doors to the stadium and moved over to the lift. They had only been there a minute when the doors pinged and opened. Another uniformed sergeant stepped out. She was taller than Beth and looked to be well-built, although, again, with the protective gear she was wearing it was difficult to make out more than her overall shape. She looked around at the empty foyer.

"Beth, I thought you said the fucking Army was here!" she said with some asperity.

Again, Caleb's command voice came naturally to the fore, "You're looking at him Sergeant, do you recognise the insignia on my shoulders?"

Lorna's eyes flicked to Caleb's shoulders taking in the crowns on the epaulettes. She stiffened into a parade-ground stance.

"Yes Sir, sorry Sir," She replied hastily.

Caleb smiled. "Ex-army?" he enquired gently, "and it's Caleb. You're Lorna I believe."

"Yes Sir, sorry, Caleb, yes, it's Lorna. I'm ex-Navy, Petty Officer, Communications Warfare Specialist."

"Good to meet you, Lorna," Caleb replied. "Do you have any intel on what we can expect?"

"Not enough," Lorna sighed heavily. "Just a text saying to secure the stadium in preparation for the arrival of the Americans. Although which Americans and what they are going to be doing I've no real clue,"

"It said on the news that they are bringing a vaccine for this DuoHalo virus. Are any of your officers showing symptoms?" Caleb answered.

"A few have a cough and feeling a bit fluey but generally they're okay," Lorna replied. Beth nodded in agreement.

"So, we don't know when they are due to arrive?" Caleb asked. Both Lorna and Beth shrugged. "Let me see if I can raise any of my contacts and get more news.," Caleb said. "Do you have enough personnel to cover your current assignments?"

"We do," they answered simultaneously.

"Okay, return to your posts for now. I'll update you as soon as I can. Lorna, if there are civilians waiting at the downstairs gates try and redirect them up to this level. If everyone enters through the main gates it should be a bit easier to control. Beth, can you ask Ellie to join me here," Caleb asked."

Lorna moved back to the lift, punching the down button. Beth headed back out of the door. Caleb looked at his watch again, it was just before two. Ellie arrived a couple of minutes later and the two of them started working their way through the contacts in their phones trying to raise someone who could give them more information. Caleb chose the first contact, his old commander in the SAS. The phone rang five times before cutting to voice mail, "You've reached the voice mail of Lieutenant-Colonel." Caleb cut the call short. There was no point in leaving a message. The next two calls went the same way, voicemail offering no answers. Over the next forty-five minutes, they tried without success to find someone who could tell them more about what was going to happen. There were a couple of people who answered but no words came from the other end. Just the sound of laboured breathing. These calls cut off, with him not knowing what was happening at the other end.