Quaranteam - AU Ch. 02

Story Info
Aussie soldier finds himself under increasing pressure.
11.5k words
4.88
16.8k
45

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 04/04/2024
Created 08/18/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Quaranteam: Alternating Uncertainties

Chapter 2

For any Australians actually reading this - please do understand that I am taking extreme liberties with things, especially in regard to the functioning and structure of the military - all in the name of storytelling. Any overlap with real policy or procedure is purely coincidental. This is speculative fiction, after all. Let it slide and have fun! As always, thank you to the spinoff crew for sanity checking me. Be sure to also check out all of the other Quaranteam Universe stuff; it's all great! -SilverRyden

En-route to Victoria Barracks, Victoria, Australia - October 21, 2020 - 9:30 AM AEDT

--

"It might, in fact, be both of us, big guy."

Lottie elbowed her sister playfully as she added, "There's no might, Lettie. We do, after all, love him."

Tiberius was certain his jaw was on the floor. Even from behind her mask, Tiberius could see the smile on her face and there was no mistaking the expressions in those emerald green eyes. Tiberius knew it well, because it was the same expression that he hid from them. Love.

To say that the Valiant siblings had been close to Tiberius since they were young would be an understatement. The sisters and Ty had attended the same school since primary, though they only really began interacting near the start of high school, when they were seated together for several classes. He found a strange sort of comfort when he was with the pair, and for the twins' part, they had immediately latched onto Tiberius like a pair of crimson-haired limpets. It wasn't long before they spent all their time outside of dates together, each seeking the others for support when they needed it.

He never pursued them romantically, mostly because at first, there was the fact that they had, at least at the time, been on a spree of dating women; experimenting and discovering their own sexuality, which had given Ty the very mistaken impression that he was of no interest to them. He was entirely fine with that. The twins were an invaluable source of insight into the female mind and fiercely protective of their friend. He'd avoided no small number of bad dates thanks to their keen eye for women. Lottie was always calm and analytical in her observations. Lettie let her emotions and attractions drive. Either way, they very rarely led him astray.

Yes, he'd occasionally wondered what it'd be like to date one, or both sisters, but it was only after an evening spent with both Lottie and Lettie crying in his arms that he learned that they in fact were happy to play for both teams. They had both been dating guys, brothers, in fact, at the time, ones who wouldn't stop asking for a foursome. They learned that the two assholes had taken videos and threatened to release them if the girls wouldn't comply. Tiberius had visited the 'brothers dim', as he called them, the next day. He still chuckled occasionally when he remembered the elder brother's reaction to seeing Ty at his door. The dismay on his face as Tiberius' fist closed the distance. The 'Oh, fuck', an instant before he crumpled to the ground in the face of the enraged hulk. The younger of the two folded and complied with Ty's 'requests' to delete the videos with only a little twisting of an arm. That the twisting may have resulted in a torsion fracture was something of an afterthought at the time.

It was a week later that the idiots returned to school, bruised and battered, one with a nose clearly broken and the other with an arm in a sling. The pair never approached the twins or Tiberius again and subsequent suitors were sufficiently warned not to poke the bear. He'd made zero mention of his involvement and so the twins hadn't realized he'd done anything at all until that moment. They loved him for it.

Once disabused of the notion that he was out of the picture, however, he had fallen for them both so thoroughly that he'd realized he'd never be able to pick one over the other. The risk of damage to their existing relationship had simply been too great, so he had maintained the status quo and let his feelings remain hidden.

The twins however, had known of his feelings almost as soon as he'd developed them. They had thrived on his friendship with them, adored him for his protectiveness of them, and so were almost wary when they realized the change had occurred. Needless to say, they were stunned when they realized that their friend had buried those feelings for the sake of that friendship, and that's when they started to really look at him. Reciprocating his love and affection was inevitable. They, like him, just had never figured out how to deal with the whole 'choosing' dilemma, but it seemed now that the obstacle had simply disappeared.

Tiberius, despite being a highly capable athlete, was never conceited about it and had friends in all of the school cliques. His ability to bring people from different worlds together was unparalleled, mostly because he somehow fit into all of those worlds. It was funny, sometimes, watching the hulking form of Ty and a couple of the other sports club members hunched over a table rolling dice for Dungeons and Dragons with a bunch of the school's computer geeks and even a couple of the goths and punk rockers. He made sure everyone would be laughing. He made sure everybody felt equal. He treated them that way unconsciously, and so they followed his lead and treated each other that way. The twins found out later that the legacy of his D&D club reduced the reported incidents of bullying in the school by something close to 80% even after they graduated.

It was actually Lettie that convinced the other two to join the army, at the twins' grandfather's funeral, in fact. Their grandfather had been military, and she loved his stories, the thrill and activity, and knew her sister would enjoy the analytical side of things while Ty would thrive in both. They tested for the SAS together and were assigned to the same unit, which Tiberius eventually led. They would have quit when Tiberius was injured, but the Brigadier had quietly informed them of the plan to keep him onboard, and so they stayed, taking their sidesteps into admin before Ty's own return.

Tiberius, staring at them, struggled to form words. "I never - That...You -"

"We know, Ty." Lottie's voice was gentle, but firm. "We always knew, you big goof. You were never good at hiding it. We never told you because just like you, we never wanted you to have to choose between us. It looks like now we won't have that problem, and Lettie and I have always been good at sharing, so you'd best prepare yourself. We're going to insist, after all."

This was beyond unexpected, and his brain simply could not catch up after everything else that he'd been subjected to in such a short time. They had never led him to believe that they had anything but friendship on their minds for him. Both women were wicked smart and had no shortage of suitors lined up for either of them, so he was, if not content, resigned to step aside for their happiness.

"Give up, Tiberius. You know how stubborn we are. And face it, big guy. You're dying to get your hands on us. Now you can." He didn't need to look at her to see Lettie's smirk in his head. He could feel his face heating up and the wave of chagrin hit him at how easily they'd seen through him.

"I - " Any response Tiberius would have made was interrupted by his phone, playing a tone Tiberius had reserved for a very specific individual. Major General Ezekiel Becker. Another friendship born during a secondment, this time to the Sayeret Matkal in Israel. The older gentleman had been invaluable in bridging the gap between the two countries and had taken Tiberius under his wing during his time there. He glanced down at his phone, then back to the twins, who nodded at him, knowing that he wouldn't be able to give them anything like a coherent response right now anyway.

"Shalom, Major General Becker. It's been some time."

"Shalom Tiberius. It would appear you have forgotten my words to you from the last time we spoke?"

"No, Zeke, but it never hurts to start with some formality. How are you? Miriam and Talia doing well, I hope? Though given the timing, I doubt very much this is a social call. It must be what, 2 in the morning?"

"Indeed, my friend. However, there is time for a few pleasantries. I have been well, and Miriam too. Israel was not hit so hard as your homeland, I think. As for Talia, well, I rather think you will be better suited to telling me how she is after tomorrow. She's on her way there as we speak. She was assisting the Americans with a joint project when DuoHalo struck. She stayed to help, and not hours ago, I was informed that she insisted on joining the team heading out towards you. But how about you? How is Damian these days? If that boy has kept to form, he has not been in touch, am I correct?"

Tiberius laughed, knowing how what the older man hadn't said was far more important than what he had.

"We'll come back around to why Talia's coming here in a moment. What do you know about Damo, Zeke? What's my little brother got himself into? More importantly, is the stupid bugger still alive?"

"Well, we have the answers to many of the questions you probably have right now. I cannot speak of them openly, but I will, however, say that Damian and the remainder of his unit are safe. I just wished for you to know that Talia has the documents pertinent to this discussion and will pass them to you when she arrives. As for why she is going to Australia? I thought that would be obvious with all of the information that has just been dropped into your lap, my friend. Quaranteam." Zeke's voice grew heavy with emotion, and Tiberius realized that the older man had dropped his military bearing. "I am not asking you for information or any insider knowledge. We will get that through official means anyway. What I want is for my only daughter to be with a man I respect and who I know will treat her well. I do not care about what the Americans' Oracle or whatever it is called has to say on the matter. She wants to be tested against you, and that is fine, but irrespective of the results, I would like for you to take her in, as a favour to me. Would you do this? The two of you have always gotten along, so perhaps it could be something more than friendship?"

Long gone was the measured tone of Major General Becker of the Israeli Army. In its place, the pleading tone of Ezekiel Becker, friend to Tiberius and father of one, was beyond mistaking. Tiberius felt the bottom go out of his stomach as he realized what this would mean.

"Zeke. Mate. You know I'd lay down my life for Tal. But do you know what exactly it is you're asking me? I mean, how much do you know about the vaccine and the effects? I can't just drop a unilateral 'yes' without you knowing that, among other things."

He sighed. "You mean the bonding? And the multiple partners? I have been informed of these things. I cannot in good conscience tell you not to take others. Just...do not neglect my Talia."

"Alright. Look, Zeke. I won't outright say no. I wouldn't do that to you. But I won't say yes either without first speaking to Talia herself. This whole business got dropped on my head not hours ago, and I have yet to come to terms with the situation, let alone the fucking implications of this serum, and I'll be damned if I simply go, 'yeah alright, I'll chain your daughter to me for life and damn the consequences if she didn't really want that'." Ty pinched the bridge of his nose, knowing that his headache was only going to get worse now. "It's not even noon and I've already been hit with more nuke-level shit than fucking Maralinga. It has done my head right the fuck in, Zeke. So, I need to think. I need to process all this. And I want you to get some rest. Call me again when you wake up and have a clear head. Let me know what Miriam thinks of all this too. I won't have her coming after me because she wasn't told. And please, respect that in the end, it'll be Tal's decision. And mine...I hope."

His phone buzzed and Tiberius sighed, pulling it away from his ear long enough to read the text.

Come tomorrow, you will be mine forever, Tiberius Marshall. Though I will share you because I must, never forget that you are mine, as I will be yours. -Talia.

A groan escaped his mouth. He'd known his fate was sealed the moment Talia got the idea in her head, but he had hoped that Zeke was exaggerating and that she just wanted to see him in person. There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line before the words came back, carrying more than a trace of amusement.

"Thank you, Tiberius. Though I have tremendous pride in everything my daughter has achieved, I will be honoured to have you as a son as well."

"Hey now, don't go ringing wedding bells already."

"Do not bother denying it, son. You and I both know that when Talia or Miriam wants something, they get it. You may as well not fight it. We will speak soon."

"Goodnight, old friend, send Miriam my regards and please excuse my earlier language. It was improper of me."

"You have had much dropped upon you today. Think not of it."

The call ended; Tiberius turned his gaze back towards the twins who were watching him expectantly. In a moment of brilliance, or possibly a moment of abject stupidity, Tiberius would never really know, he chose to look back down at his tablet and start reading. The materials Grace had sent would take him hours to digest, if he could even bring himself to focus on them.

"Really? You're going to ignore us? After what we just said to you?" Lottie's exasperation was clear.

"I'm not ignoring you. I could never really ignore you. But I also need time, Lottie. Barely over an hour ago, I knew nothing of a vaccine for this mess. I knew nothing of how it functioned. I still don't. Not really. All I know is that it bonds people together permanently, and the three most important women in my life, women that I would die for, no questions asked, have just told me that they want to be bonded to me. All this time, I chose to remain your friend because I could never bring myself to hurt one or the other of you by choosing. How am I, as a man who until now understood cleanly that monogamous relationships were the absolute, supposed to react? How am I supposed to feel?"

"Most men would jump for joy-? Three? Who? Talia. You must mean Talia."

Tiberius nodded, rehashing his conversation with Zeke and the text from Talia herself. Though neither twin was particularly at odds with Talia, it was clear to Tiberius now that they saw her as a rival, and a front-runner with none of the pressure that a decision regarding them would require. Neither twin looked any too pleased by the situation, but they eventually realized that with what he had told them earlier, this was apparently going to be the new normal. Tiberius decided not to fight the situation and suggested that irrespective of his own concerns right now, they have a discussion amongst the three of them. As long as they all agreed on something, he'd abide. Having mollified the pair, or at least forestalled any further arguments on the subject, he forwarded some of the vaccine documentation to them, requesting that they start to get familiar, as he would request that they be added to his unit for the whole project, whether or not they ended up as partners on his 'Team'. He was going to need their help, and they were glad to offer it.

--

Tiberius' arrival at the base didn't have quite the fanfare it might have before the pandemic, but it was close, if lacking in the otherwise obligatory backslapping and hugs. He made his greetings, and then was about to requisition a conference room to continue digesting the new material when he spotted the unfriendly face. Jaxson Connors, though generally incompetent, had never lacked poise in the past. The man before him, however, looked as though he'd slept in his uniform. Twice. Without showering. His skin looked almost waxy, but he didn't look like he was ill. Just badly rumpled. He said nothing, but the glare on his face spoke volumes as he turned and stalked away. It was out of character for there to be no comment, but Tiberius didn't want to waste time or effort worrying about him. Baz said he'd stop by to check in with him, but if he did, Ty was too focused on the reading and the older man probably decided not to interrupt.

It was six hours later when Tiberius sent out a request for all available officers to join him. Baz followed up, turning the request into an order and mandating attendance. Ty was finishing up his notes when Sophie - Colonel Sophie Davis, Baz's wife, greeted him at the door to the conference room, smiling warmly as she handed him his new rank insignia. It was something that did not go unnoticed as others arrived. The realization that he was officially back, and being promoted as he should have been long before this brought about a new wave of cheering from almost the whole room. Almost, except for a small cadre of officers now tucked into one corner. Connors and his lot of sycophants. Aside from the man himself, they were all junior officers, Tiberius just ignored them, despite the glares burning their way into him. But he let his attention linger on Connors himself. He was still looking haggard, only now he also seemed...tense? Lettie had discovered that it was Jaxson Connors that was responsible for the outgoing reports, and they'd call him out on it here. As for the others, they didn't matter. Not really. Connors was the problem, even if his mother was a bigger problem.

A nod from Baz after everyone had settled in and Ty started his explanation of the vaccine and the Oracle system. It wasn't hard to notice that of everyone in the room, only Connors wasn't stunned by the revelations, and that was telling. Some of the info Grace had sent him indicated that they should already know this, and initially, Tiberius had put it down to information lost after the decimation of parliament. But now, it appeared more likely that the information had been suppressed by individuals looking to secure themselves advantage. It was just the kind of power play a certain Major's mother would make.

Connors himself was trying to look nonchalant, but something about the man wasn't quite right. More so than usual, at least by Tiberius' reckoning. It wasn't just his appearance. He hadn't interrupted even once. Not to make a sarcastic quip, not to tell Ty he was wrong, nothing. He looked...jittery, was the right word, Ty decided. He kept an eye on the man as he continued his explanation, and the odd feeling never went away, and neither did he interrupt, right up until Tiberius announced to the room that he was to lead the rollout process.

"From the documentation that we have received, the rollout process will be time and personnel intensive. We will need to establish Teams, as they're being called, in-house first, and then organize those teams into units. I know the Oracle questionnaire will be daunting, as its extremely personal, but a smart friend made a good point to me; only the people you're teamed up with will have any idea of what you put down on it, and they're of a like mind to you, so who's gonna judge? Secondly, a Team stays together and cannot be separated for great lengths of time. I have been requested by the USAF as the liaison for this, which means that while I will eventually be heading up a rollout Team, I will be coordinating our efforts until that time."

"Why would you get to do that? You haven't been a part of the military for over two years! Your clearances will have all lapsed! You can't just put on a couple of extra pips on your shoulder and pretend to have a promotion! I won't accept that!"