Quiet Betty

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She had struggled with her weight for years after all that, but diet and exercise had eventually done away with the fat. Nothing could get rid of all that hair for more than a few weeks at a time. Indeed, she suspected to this day that years of shaving had only made it grow back thicker than before. Worse, the other girls had noticed. To this day, knowing they had won hurt even more than the initial teasing had hurt.

What would Rob think?

Betty told herself yet again that it didn't matter - if he loved her, he would accept her body. But no matter how many times she repeated it to herself, she didn't quite believe it. And for that matter, what if she didn't like something about his body? What if they turned out not to be compatible at all in bed? It was ever so easy to say that didn't matter if they loved each other...but it did, she knew that.

Whatever his reason for saying no that night she'd tried to get him into bed, she was determined to respect his wishes. But it seemed an awful gamble. Now more than ever when she'd been reminded afresh of the harsh reaction of the girls at school who'd been the first ever to see her body. Which in turn reminded her of Steve, of even more accursed memory.

Betty hadn't told Rob anything about Steve. She hadn't told Janice or Audra either. She wasn't sure she'd ever told anyone about Steve, for that matter. That door was locked, thank you very much, along with so much else from her accursed pubescent years, which she was sometimes a bit surprised she had survived. But it made no sense to ignore the many lessons she'd learned from all that.

The service had her feeling quite a bit better when it drew to a close. She even let herself imagine her and Rob enjoying it with a few kids of their own in a few years. But she still couldn't shake her doubts and concerns about Rob, even as she enjoyed the meet and greet with the other parishioners after it was over. To his credit, Rob seemed to notice as they were returning to the van. "Sorry if that was too heavy for you, Betty," he said. "I know it can be a slog the first time."

"Oh, no, it was wonderful!" Betty said. "No, that's not it. Besides, I do want to get to know your family rituals if I'm going to join the family."

Behind them, Anne and James burst into snickers. "Now's the best time there'll ever be to tell her, Rob," Anne said.

"Not when we're on our way to brunch!" Rob protested.

"I think that's as good a time as any," James said. "But suit yourself."

"What are you talking about?" Betty asked. "Something I wouldn't want to hear while I'm eating?"

"I'm not sure if you'd ever want to hear it," Rob said.

"Betty, I'm sorry," Anne said as she settled herself in the front seat. "I raised all three of my kids to be open-minded, but both of the boys are a little on the prudish side. Now, their sister is another story."

"Yeah, Meagan takes after them a lot more than Nick or I do," Rob agreed. "I think you'll like her, Betty, but she's...not like us."

"I'm sure I'll like her fine, but what's that got to do with whatever you don't want to tell me?"

"I...can't explain."

Betty shook her head and grinned at Anne, who was looking back at them from the front seat as James pulled the van out onto the road. Anne looked like she wanted to spill the beans, but all she would say was, "Sorry, Betty, it's not my place to tell you. But Rob, you're going to have to tell her one of these days."

"Or I could just stop going, you know," Rob said.

"Going where?" Betty asked.

"That's what he won't tell you," Anne said. "Rob, that's your choice, but I think you owe it to Betty to at least let her know about it."

Betty had given up any hope of getting a straight answer about anything, and turned to Nick, who as usual hadn't said much of anything. He gave her a wan smile and asked, "Is it true Janice is joining us?"

"Yes, and she was very happy to be invited," Betty said, grateful to be able to talk about something that did make sense.

"I think Nick's got the hots for her," Rob announced.

"I do not!" Nick turned his face to the window and said nothing else. But Betty thought she saw a trace of a smile on his lips all the same.

On their arrival at Marty's Place, Betty was delighted to see Janice had worn a dress for the occasion. "Just in case," she whispered to Betty after saying her hellos to Rob and his family. "I didn't want you to be the only overdressed one."

"Thank you!" Betty gave her friend's hand an affectionate squeeze. "I'll have a few choice words for Audra when I get home!"

"Don't give her the satisfaction, that's my advice," Janice said. "Tell her Rob loved your outfit."

"I do!" Rob interjected. "You're looking beautiful, really."

"I think so too." Nick almost whispered it as he sidled up beside Janice. "Janice, nice to see you again."

"You too!" Still feeling flattered at what Betty had told her the day before, she gave him her most flirtatious grin. "I really enjoyed that day at the park. How long did we talk for?"

"I never looked at my watch," Nick said. "I love it when that happens, don't you?"

They were once again lost in conversation before the hostess even showed them to their table, where Nick fearlessly helped himself to a seat next to Janice. "But he doesn't have the hots for her, not at all!" Rob whispered in Betty's ear, and they laughed together.

By the time the meal was over with, Betty had all but forgotten her earlier angst. For good measure, Janice and Nick were lost in conversation at their end of the table and she was delighted for them. But she still wanted to know just what Rob had been avoiding telling her. When they were finished and the conversation was dying down, she couldn't control her curiosity any longer. "All right, Rob," she said. "We're done eating. What's the news?"

Rob looked more uncomfortable than ever. "Oh, well, gee, Betty..."

"Oh, enough is enough," Anne said. "Betty, our family has a tradition Rob's been too shy to tell you about."

"Mom, c'mon..." Rob said.

"You're more than welcome to say no with no hard feelings," Anne went on, ignoring her son, "But you've got a right to know before you marry into the family. Every fourteenth of July -"

"Enough!" Rob snapped, standing up. "Mom, Betty's not like you, and she won't be interested!"

"Not like her how?" Betty asked. "And how do you know I wouldn't be interested? Rob, it's not like you to assume like that. What's gotten into you?"

"You'd understand if you knew," Rob said.

"If I knew what?! Just what kind of delicate flower do you think I am?"

"It's not that! It's just...no. Mom, Dad, I'm not going to discuss this in front of you."

"You are engaged, Robert," James pointed out. "You're entitled to your privacy, but we're not naive here."

"Yeah, whatever," Rob said. "I mean, Look, Betty, you're modest, and that's fine, but..."

"Modest?!" Betty shook her head. "Didn't I tell you these clothes were Audra's idea?"

"It's not just that! It's...yeah, look, I know you, and I love you, and I don't want to jeopardize that with anything that'd make you uncomfortable."

"What's making me uncomfortable is you won't give me a straight answer about what you're talking about!"

"That's because I'm afraid a straight answer wouldn't go over well with you!"

"I can make up my own mind about that, if you'd just tell me." On that note, Betty stood up. "Maybe Audra was right. Men don't communicate!"

"Betty, wait," Rob said.

But she didn't. She pulled a $20 bill out of her purse and threw it down on the table. "Janice, I'll see you at home. Anne, James, I'm sorry!" And she was off without another word or a look back at the table.

"Thanks a lot," Rob growled at his parents.

"You had all the time in the world to tell her, dear," Anne said.

"And you shouldn't assume she'd be such a prude," James added.

"Betty a prude?" Janice said. "She's not, she's just shy! May I ask just what it is about the fourteenth of July?"

"Want to go for a walk and I'll explain everything?" Nick asked.

"I think that's a wonderful idea," his mother said. "I think your father and I need to have a heart to heart talk with Rob."

As soon as they were outside, Nick said, "It was pretty low of Mom to put Rob on the spot like that. She doesn't know anything about what he and Betty get up to in the bedroom. Neither do I, of course, and that's just as it should be."

"I do," Janice confessed. "They haven't gotten up to anything yet."

"Really?" Nick was surprised.

"I'm surprised you didn't know," Janice said. "Isn't Rob saving himself for marriage?"

"No!" Nick felt like laughing, but he didn't dare upset his crush. Our parents always told us, wait until you're old enough, but sex is a beautiful thing and it's nothing to deny yourself just because you're not married yet."

"No kidding!" Janice was confused, but she kept that to herself. "I wonder why they haven't done it, then? But they definitely haven't, and that's because Betty thinks he doesn't want to do it before the wedding. But what's that got to do with July fourteenth?"

Nick sighed. "All right, I'll tell you that. But first, let me say, I know I'm shy around women, but..."

"Nick, I'm a woman!" Janice laughed and gave his arm a squeeze. "Haven't you noticed?"

"Kind of hard to miss," Nick said, allowing himself a brief but shameless - and longing - look at Janice's generous breasts. She laughed to show him she didn't mind. "I just want to say, please don't think I'm a pervert or anything."

"I won't. Go ahead."

"Right. July fourteenth is what they call Nude Day."

"Nude Day!"

"Yes, and my family always goes to a community out in the country to participate. Rob and I've been going all our lives, and our sister Meagan, too."

"You spend the day naked with your family?"

"I know how weird it sounds. But if you were raised to feel it's normal and beautiful..."

"No, Nick, that does sound beautiful! I wish I could be that comfortable with my family! And you wanted Betty to join you this year?"

"Only if she wanted to," Nick said. "Mom and Dad would totally understand if she said no, but they think - and I think they're right - she has a right to know just what she's marrying into. Don't you think so?"

"Yes, I do," Janice said. "Definitely. I could talk to her, you know."

"I just wish Rob had."

"Me too. But you know, Nick..." They had come to a corner, and she stopped and took his hand. "I think it sounds like a kick, if you're allowed to bring a date!"

Nick's eyes grew so big Janice couldn't help but laughing. "I'm sorry, Nick, you just look so cute like that!" she exclaimed.

"Please!" Nick almost sounded angry - but not quite. "Please, Janice...okay, look, my family was just harassing me on the way over here about how shy I am, and I guess they're right. But I...that day at the park, I felt so comfortable with you, and I've been hoping to get to know you better, and..."

"And going to a nudist camp might be getting to know me too well too fast?" Janice offered.

"That too, but if you really do want to come..." Nick giggled like a schoolgirl. "I thought you were teasing me, is all."

"Nick!" Janice threw her arms around him, thrilling to the delight he was undoubtedly feeling. "I would never do that! Remember I'm Betty's best friend, and she's really shy, too. I've seen how hard she's worked to overcome that, and I would never tease her over that. Or you either, okay!"

"Thank you," Nick said. But he couldn't quite get an invitation out of his mouth.

* * *

Janice was giddy when she got home to find Betty sacked out on the couch watching television. "Nick is such a sweetheart!" she said. "We walked around and talked for I don't even know how long! And I found out what they wanted to invite you to."

"Do I even want to know?" Betty asked.

"I think you should know," Janice said, helping herself to a seat on the far end of the couch. "It is your fiance's family, after all."

"I'm not sure if he's still my fiance right now."

"Betty! Come on, you love Rob and he loves you! I agree he didn't handle things very well today, but he was doing what he thought was right for you."

"It's not just that! I was thinking of what Audra said yesterday -"

"Oh, stop right there!" Janice said. "Audra's a manipulative, sexist jerk, you know that! And she's jealous, because you and Rob are so obviously right for each other."

"But she does know Rob, from way back." Betty's voice was shaking. "And - not that I'm going to go get a bikini waxing just because she says so - but what if she's right about Rob's reaction to my body? And what if I don't like something about his? Why does he have to be so old fashioned?"

"Because he thinks that's what you want," Janice said.

"You're talking to Nick about his brother's and my sex life, now?!"

"What sex life?"

Betty gave Janice a look that could have curdled milk. Then she burst into tears.

"Betty, it's not like that! Nick was just telling me about their big secret for July Fourteenth, and it came up. That's all."

"Why? Why on earth did that of all things come up?"

"Because that's why Rob thought you wouldn't want to join them on that day," Janice said. "I didn't know this, but I guess July Fourteenth is Nude Day."

"What?!"

"Yes, and they go to a nudist colony."

"As a family?!" Betty stopped crying and leapt to her feet. "Good God, could you imagine seeing your father naked? Or him seeing you?"

"Never," Janice admitted. "But Nick says it's different when you've been raised with it, and I believe it."

"You mean you agree with them on this?!"

"Well...kind of, Betty. I mean, you know Rob's parents and they're not perverts, are they?"

"The farthest thing from it," Betty admitted. "But you're not saying you'd go, would you?"

"Actually, Nick invited me, or at least he almost did, and...I think it sounds like a kick!"

"You wouldn't! Geez, my best friend seeing my fiance's penis before I do?"

"That's another thing, Betty. Rob isn't saving himself for marriage, he thinks you are."

"What?!"

"I remember what you told me yesterday," Janice said. "Maybe it was just a misunderstanding of some sort?"

"How do you misunderstand that in this day and age?"

"Sex isn't easy to talk about. Besides, I always thought you were saving yourself too. All these years I've known you, you always gave that impression."

"When have I ever said anything like that?" Betty asked.

"Well, never," Janice said. "It's just that you've always been so demure, so modest. You never even changed your clothes with Audra or me in the room in college. And you've never mentioned being involved with anyone that way."

Betty looked like she wanted to cry again. She sat back down and took a deep breath. "Well," she said, "You saw yesterday why I'm modest, with Audra."

"What, because you don't look like a porn star? So what?!"

"I got teased horribly about it back in high school, that's what," Betty said. "That and my weight, which was at least partially because of the teasing in the first place. My weight I could fix, but...that? Nothing could fix that. And I used to love the way it looked! And the way it felt. So naughtily beautiful, you know?"

"Yes, I do know," Janice said. "I've always thought the same, you know, and plenty of guys do, too."

"The one guy I've been with didn't."

"You mean you're not..."

Betty shook her head. "Lost it sophomore year in high school, but I haven't had sex since and there's a reason for that."

"That bad?" Janice asked.

"The guy was a creep and I knew it. But...I was a very lonely girl, let's just leave it at that. And even lonelier when word got out. I don't think you'd understand."

"Wouldn't understand? I was a fat kid too!" Janice reminded her.

"Eh, good point," Betty admitted. "But imagine having that not even be the only thing the girls in the locker room teased you over! And having your reputation trashed on top of that. Then came college and who had time for romance? And I wasn't even sure I wanted to bother with it anyway. I had two good hands, you know?" She laughed, and seeing it was okay, Janice joined in. "Then I finally meet Rob and I feel that same wonderful love I could barely remember ever feeling before, and he respects me and he's gorgeous...but he doesn't seem to even want to make love to me, and now this?!"

"Betty, maybe 'this' is just what you need," Janice said. "You and Rob love each other to bits, anyone can see that, but you obviously have a problem communicating about intimacy. And if you don't mind my saying so, it sounds like you also have a problem with your self-image. Any man who'd reject you just because you have a hairy pussy isn't worth caring about at all, never mind marrying him. And you don't really think Rob would do that, do you?"

"I don't know what to think about Rob right now," Betty groused.

"Do you love him?"

"Desperately!"

"Do you love his family?"

"Yeah."

"Then what does this really change? They're not trying to push their lifestyle on you, they just want you to know you're welcome to join, but only if you want to! Isn't there anything about your family that other people might think is kind of weird?"

"There's a reason why I stayed out here after college," Betty admitted.

Janice had heard enough stories about Betty's caustic, difficult mother. She had no need to ask for more.

At long last, Betty smiled. "And you think Nude Day sounds like fun?"

"I do."

Betty sighed. "It does sound like it could be a lot of fun, doesn't it?"

* * *

Across town, Nick didn't return home after the walk with Janice. Instead he went to Rob's tiny apartment, where he found his brother well into his second beer of the afternoon. "Isn't it a little early for that, Rob?" he asked.

"Who asked you, bro?" But he did step aside and let Nick in. "You want one? I won't tell Mom and Dad."

"I'm twenty-three, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, you'll always be my kid brother, though," Rob said, flopping down on the ancient couch their parents had given him. "So what do you want?"

"I want to know about Janice!" Nick sat down on the floor facing Rob, spurning the beer offer.

"What do you want to know? Nice gal, but it looked to me like you've already figured that out."

"Does she have a boyfriend?"

"Aw, Nick, no! That'd just be too weird, she's Betty's best friend."

"What's wrong with me dating your wife's best friend?"

"Right now I don't think she's ever gonna be my wife after all," Rob said. "Storming off on us like that when I was only trying to spare her feelings!"

"None of my business, but - "

"That's right, it's not," Rob said. "Yeah, I know I should've told her about Nude Day before now, but look, I know Betty's not that kind of gal. I'm pretty sure she's a virgin, for God's sake."

Nick almost spilled the beans about what Janice had told him, but he was too annoyed with his brother's attitude. Instead he asked, "Isn't intimacy the kind of thing engaged couples talk about?"

"She's an old fashioned gal, and I don't want her thinking it's all about sex for me. 'Cause it isn't, bro, all right?"

"Of course."

"But now I'm thinking maybe she's a little too old fashioned."

"Then why don't you talk to her about it?"

"Didn't I tell you it was none of your business?"

"Actually I was the one who said that." Nick couldn't help laughing a bit. "Anyway, I didn't come here to talk about Betty. It's Janice I want to know about."

"And you're too damn shy to ask her yourself, aren't you?"

"Again with that?" Nick scrambled to his feet and clenched his fists in frustration. "It's not a contagious disease, is it? And aren't you the one who wouldn't tell your bride-to-be about Nude Day?"

"Oh, fuck off!" Rob roared. "I just might call everything off with her, all right? You think her best friend'll go out with you then?!"