Racing Back to Love Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
demon160
demon160
502 Followers

Mel kissed me on the cheek before saying "We will have to catch up very soon. Bye MT." she then climbed into her car.

MT was what she used to call me all the way through school (my initials are M T). I then remembered what I used to call her.

"Bye M Dub. Hope work is good today." (Again her nickname was a shortened version of her initials, M W)

Mel grinned happily as I said this. "Oh yes MT. Work will be good today."

With that she backed out of the drive way and drove off waving to me.

************

Melissa and I caught up again briefly one afternoon later that week, when I saw Mel playing out the front of her house with both her daughters. I went down and said hello and Mel introduced me to her older daughter Chloe.

Chloe had heard about me as she said "You drive racing cars don't you Matt?"

"Yes Chloe, I did. But I'm now back home."

"Are you going to race again?"

"I don't know Chloe. I might one day."

Mel was looking at me as I said this with a nice smile on her face. I smiled at her too.

Her daughters were great and they loved Mel very much. She was so proud of both of them as she told me stories of them growing up. Mel beamed as she talked, and seeing her so happy made me smile too.

Chloe was 6 at the time and Jessica was 4. The girls did look like their mother and acted like she did as well.

Our catch up was brief, and both Mel and I promised that we would properly catch up as soon as we could.

************

It was now late in April. After our catch ups, even though they were relatively short, all I could think about was Melissa. How good she looked, how wonderful her smile was, how great it was to see her again, how terrific her daughters were. I felt happier than I had in a long time, even before Mum and Dad's death.

My time was being taken up with doing renovations to my house and helping Brooke and Simon move into their new house in Paddington.

I was having dinner with Brooke and Simon after a hard day of moving furniture, boxes and musical equipment into their new house. We were sitting on the lounge talking, and I was telling Brooke about seeing Melissa again and all about our catch ups. I was apparently talking excitedly and very enthusiastically about seeing Mel.

Brooke gave me a big smile and a little laugh before asking me "So Matt, why didn't you and Melissa ever go out together?"

"Because we were too good friends to ever go out. We didn't want to spoil our friendship by going out. You know that."

"No. I don't buy that." Brooke replied

"We were too close to ever go out."

"No I still don't get it."

"Brooke, I'm serious"

"No I still don't get it." Brooke continued to tease.

I didn't answer back. But then I began to think. Why hadn't Melissa and I gone out? Brooke was still looking at me, but with a little smile on her face, as she could see I was in thought.

Travelling home that night and then most of the next day, all I could thing about was why hadn't Melissa and I been on a date. We were so good together and always had a great time together. My mind was in a spin. The simple job of repainting the walls inside my house was taking forever as I couldn't concentrate on what I should have been doing.

Looking outside I could see it was a sunny autumnal afternoon. I went straight to my wardrobe and dug out my running shoes and decided to take a run to clear my head.

Running around my old neighbourhood, the mottled sunlight coming down through the trees, the rhythmic sounds of my feet slapping onto the pavement, muscles starting to work again for the first time in a couple of months felt great. It was therapeutic in a way. My breathing heavier than usual, sweat starting to bead on my skin, doing physical activity that I used to do all the time did bring back a sense of calmness to me. My thoughts became clearer as I ran. I just knew what I wanted to do.

Time had gotten away from me and I noticed that kids were starting coming out of school. As I entered my street, I looked up and saw Melissa walking with Chloe home from school. I surprised myself by calling out "M Dub!" as I saw them, like I used to when we were kids.

Mel turned around and when she saw it was me she had a huge smile on her face. I caught up with Mel and Chloe and after saying our hello's properly we all walked up our street together, making small talk along the way.

We arrived at Mel's gate and Chloe ran inside. Mel and I were just standing out the front talking like we always used to do as kids. I knew what I wanted to do and when there was a lull in conversation I took my opportunity.

"Mel, what are you working the rest of the week?"

"I'm working tomorrow and Friday afternoon, and then Saturday morning. Why do you ask?"

I took a deep breath and spoke. "Mel, would you like to come out to dinner with me on Saturday night. You know, on a date .......... A real date." I couldn't believe I managed to get the words out but I did.

"Ooooh Matt. That would be great. I'd love to." Melissa squealed. She had the most beautiful grin on her face as she said this. "Where are we going?"

"I think we will go somewhere special. I'll message you and let you know and what time I will pick you up." I replied grinning from ear to ear.

Just then noises of two little girls arguing came ringing out of Melissa's parent's house.

"Sorry Matt, but I have to go and sort out 'World War 3' in there. Can't wait to see you on Saturday." She leant over and kissed me on the cheek. "See you later."

"Can't wait either. I'll let you know what we are doing."

Melissa turned around as she got to the front door; her auburn hair was in a ponytail that flung around behind her. She smiled and waved to me as she went to go inside. I waved back, feeling so happy I'd asked her and even happier that she said yes. I walked home just grinning to myself.

I organised our date later that night, reservations at a very nice restaurant near the beach and messaged Melissa with the details. She messaged straight back 'Sounds great. Can't wait to see you at 7 on Sat night .'

The next day I continued to work at home, but was still finding it hard to concentrate as I was getting excited about my date. My daydreaming was interrupted by my phone. I didn't recognise the number and answered.

It was Andrew Jamison, the Team Director of Team Hart- Roberts Racing. I was very surprised to be getting a call from a racing team in Australia. He initially offered his condolences (word apparently travels fast around the racing community), and then asked if I had any plans for this racing season. I replied that I did not and that I hadn't even been thinking about racing recently. Andrew said he could understand this. He had spoken to Bill Wilson in England and Bill had confirmed that I had left England for good, and I was not contracted to him or anyone anymore. I also confirmed that this was correct.

Andrew then said that Team Hart- Roberts had a vacant co-driver's seat for this year's endurance races. The driver they had initially signed had been poached by another team and they wanted to fill the vacant seat quickly. He then said that they were having a test day trying out some potential replacements the following Thursday and he was keen for me to come and have a drive. He thought I would be a good fit into the team.

I thanked him for the offer and said that I would seriously consider it and that I would be back in touch with him tomorrow to let him know my decision. As I put the phone down I couldn't believe this was happening. I was a little stunned to receive an offer like this and from the team I followed as a kid.

I felt positive almost immediately, but then I had a few second thoughts. When I started racing, my goal was Formula One and not Touring Cars. I was concerned as to how I would go driving cars I had never driven before. I was also a little emotionally concerned as to whether my heart was actually still actually into racing.

I tried to ring Brooke up and talk to her, but her band was in the studio, finishing off their new album. She rang back that evening and I told her all about the offer. Brooke was immediately enthusiastic and said it would be good for me to go back to doing what I loved. I told her I was worried that I didn't love racing anymore and that I might be making a mistake going back. Brooke, with all of the wisdom that an older sister should have, told me to speak to the team and let them know what I was feeling so that everyone was on the same page.

The next day I rang Andrew up and discussed my situation. I told him straight away that I was very flattered to be offered a test drive, and while I was keen, I was still a little wary of how I would be 'emotionally' back in a race car. He understood, and said he couldn't think of a better opportunity for me to try and see if I wanted to drive again, as there was no pressure in this situation.

I agreed and Andrew sorted out all of the logistics for the day. I was to meet the team next Thursday, 7:30am at Sydney Motorsport Park. As I hung up the phone I became really excited.

These events were great in taking my mind off my upcoming date.

Saturday evening came around and I was very excited to be seeing Melissa. I put in a big effort getting ready for our date as we were going to a nice place and I wanted to show Melissa I had matured a little. Showered sparkling clean, dressed as sharply as I could manage, good shirt, dress pants, good leather boots, sports coat I didn't even realised I owned. I even picked some flowers out of what was Mum's good flower garden.

I drove out my driveway and drove the 3 houses down to Melissa's house. When I arrived I was so nervous. It was right on 7, so I took a deep breath, collected the flowers and went to the front door. I knocked on the door and was surprised when Melissa's dad Phil answered the door.

My mind immediately regressed 18 years as I said "Hi Mr Wilson, is Melissa home?" just like I used to when we were kids. I started laughing after I said, this hearing how funny it sounded now. Phil was laughing too as he asked me in.

Mel then came out of her room and she looked stunning. She was wearing a beautiful dark blue dress with white polka dots, knee length, with a thin black belt around her waist and it was cut square across her chest. The dress showed off her legs a little and they looked gorgeous. I thought Mel looked beautiful.

"Wow Melissa, you look amazing." was all that I could manage to say.

"Thanks Matt, you look great too." She replied.

I handed her the flowers and she thanked me for them and we made our way out.

On our way to the restaurant and once we were seated we made slightly awkward small talk about nothing in particular. Looking across the table I could see how beautiful Mel was, but also how nervous she looked. I had to break the tension between us.

"Are you nervous M Dub, because I am?" I asked

Mel sighed with relief after I said this. "You too." She replied.

We both broke up with laughter, easing the nervous tension and returning us to being the two old friends that we always were.

Conversation then flowed easily. Mel spoke of her work and moving back in with her parents and all the challenges that brought about. I spoke about my time in England and I was surprised at how much Melissa had followed my career. She also expressed her concern that I was throwing my career away by moving home. I then told her about the Team Hart- Roberts offer and she immediately encouraged me to take the opportunity.

"Matt, opportunities like this one don't come along every day. You have to give it a go." I knew she was talking about my career, but I was actually thinking more about her and me.

Dinner was wonderful and the more Mel and I talked the more attraction I felt for her. I could also see that Mel was being flirtier with me. Sitting there with the candle light flickering between us I could see how gorgeous Melissa was, and I all I could think of was how stupid I had been to miss out on being with her all those years ago, and how I wasn't going to waste this second chance.

It was a fine night, but cool. After dinner we went for a walk along the beachfront to the headland. The moon was shining on the ocean. It was a perfectly romantic scene. Melissa and I walked along talking and laughing. Melissa's hand found mine as we walked and our fingers intertwined. I gave a little squeeze and she returned it, gazing across at me as she did. Our eyes met as we both smiled at this.

We got to the top of the headland and stopped to turn around, seeing the beachside suburb lit up below us and the ocean rolling in to our left. As we looked out over the beautiful scene, I turned Melissa around to face me and slipped my arms around her shoulders. Melissa slipped her arms around my waist as she smiled a little.

"I have had an amazing night with you tonight Mel."

"Me too MT. I'm so glad we did this."

We moved a little closer together as I said "M Dub, I can't believe it took me 20 years to realise that I wanted to go out with you. You are so beautiful, and ......"

"Matt." Melissa interrupted quietly.

"Yes Mel."

"Kiss me MT." She said with a grin.

We leant together and kissed. It wasn't a long kiss, but it was amazing. When we pulled apart I could see Mel's green eyes were sparkling. She had a beautiful smile on her face, and I must have had a similar look on my face.

We came in together and kissed again. Lips opened this time and tongues began to tease a little. We held each other close as we made out, with the sound of the waves rolling into the shore as our accompaniment.

After a short while we came up for air. Mel was still smiling so contentedly at me. I leant across and kissed her gently again. We then decided to head back to the car. I had my arm around her shoulders and she had her arm around my waist. We were holding each other close.

Travelling back home Mel had her hand on my knee as I drove the car. Arriving back at her house, Melissa moved across and kissed me again. "MT I have had a wonderful night tonight. It has been the best date I have ever had." She said with a smile.

"I've had an amazing night too M Dub. Easily my best date of all time. We will have to do this again soon." I said before kissing her.

Mel was looking at me and I could see she was thinking of something. "Matt, are you doing anything tomorrow? I was going to take the girls out for a picnic........ And would you like to join us?"

"That would be great Mel. I'd love to go out with you and Chloe and Jessie."

We organised everything for the next day. I then walked Melissa to her front door. Holding her hand felt amazing, as we walked together to the front of her parent's house. I had done this walk so many times in the past, but tonight was the first time I was holding Melissa's hand. My mind was racing. I was feeling so attracted to Mel, and I just knew she was attracted to me.

Standing at the front door I slipped my arms around Melissa, and leant in towards her. She immediately leant up and kissed me. I held her tight as we kissed again, tongues dancing together once more. I never imagined I would be doing this with Mel, but I could not remember a time I was more attracted to anyone.

We eventually broke apart. Melissa squeezed my hand as she went into her house. "Goodnight Matt. I can't wait to see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight Mel. Can't wait to see you either."

***************

The next day, Mel arrived at my house. I had initially offered to drive, but as I didn't have children's seats in my car I couldn't. Chloe and Jessie both were very happy to see me and looked excited that we all were going out together. I helped Mel load some things into the boot of the car. While there, she wrapped her arms around me and we kissed again, just like last night.

As we moved apart, she said quietly "I have wanted to do that all morning. But I didn't want the girls to see us doing 'that'....... yet."

"That's ok. I don't mind where we kiss, as long as we do kiss." I replied with a laugh. Melissa too was laughing.

Our picnic was great. The girls seemed to think that I was their new play toy, as they both wanted to play with me. They started to fight and argue over me, until I reassured them that I was with them all day and they were both going to play with me. Mel didn't mind at all, as the girls took me to play on the play equipment with them.

Mel had gotten the picnic all set out, and was relaxing on the rug, watching us play. I was pushing both girls on the swings, when I looked across to Mel. She had the happiest smile on her face as she watched me and her daughters playing and bonding. I smiled towards Melissa, and she smiled at me, before looking a little embarrassed and looking down at the ground. She then looked back up towards me and I was still looking at her. Mel just giggled, a little like the cute schoolgirl she once was. I laughed, thinking how great this all was.

The picnic went amazingly well. Chloe and Jessie talked all the time to me, telling me everything, even embarrassing their mother a few times in the process. After our lunch the girls went to play together and Mel and I cuddled together on the rug. Mel was very pleasantly surprised at how the day was going. She told me that the girls were usually quite shy around new people, but they had really taken to me immediately.

I had my arms around Melissa and she had the most contented look on her face. I could feel her in my arms and she was so relaxed. I moved her pony tail aside and quietly kissed her neck. Melissa moaned quietly before rolling around in my arms and facing me. She kissed me, just lingering for a short while.

"I'm so glad you asked me out Matt."

"Me too M Dub."

"I cannot remember a better time than this."

Our momentary romantic interlude was then interrupted by Chloe and Jessie coming back over to us, wanting to go to the bathroom.

The picnic was great and when we finished Mel and I bundled up the little ladies and put them back in the car for the trip home. When we arrived at my house I invited them all in to see what I had been doing with the renovations. Melissa could remember the house as it was and she was impressed with what I was doing to the house.

As they were leaving, Chloe and Jessie both came up to me and gave me big hugs. They were such wonderful girls, and I told Melissa how she should be so proud of them. Once the girls were buckled in Mel and I kissed again, holding each other close.

We said our goodbyes and as I waving goodbye to Melissa and the girls I actually felt sad that they were going.

***************

Melissa and I had our third date two days later, on the Tuesday night. Again we went out to dinner, but nowhere near as fancy as we had previously. The night did allow us to catch up on our lives more completely. In particular, we talked about our previous relationships. She quizzed me on my life in England, particularly romantically.

"MT, I know all about your racing over in England, but what else happened for you over there. Did you have a girlfriend? .......... I can't imagine you living like a 'monk' over there for........ How long were you over there? 9 years?"

I had always been honest with Mel and I was never going to change that, so I told her everything.

"Well M Dub, I had two.......... real relationships while I was over there......... The first was with Jo. She was a Uni student who lived just around the corner from where I first lived. She was a beautiful, sweet girl, really funny and a nice person too. We really hit it off and were together for nearly 2 years. She moved away to further her studies and we tried to do the long distance thing, but it just didn't work for us.

"I didn't have a serious relationship for a couple of years after that........... Then I met Lucy at a sponsor's dinner. She was my second relationship and again this lasted for a couple of years. We started going out when I was starting to make a name for myself and was being noticed by overseas teams. Lucy liked the travel and the adventure my lifestyle had at the time. When the GP2 team collapsed and I was out of a drive, Lucy's eye began to roam. We split up acrimoniously not long after this. Being in a relationship with a driver who didn't have an international contract was not for her apparently." My gaze wandered away as I spoke. This breakup still hurt, more for the fact that Lucy liked my job and lifestyle more than she liked me.

demon160
demon160
502 Followers