Racing Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He grinned at me. "That's a bit extreme," he chuckled.

"I don't like punks waving switchblades in front of my face!" I yelled.

He looked me straight in the eye. I guess he didn't like being called a punk. "You better watch your back; it's dangerous out there!" he angrily said. He ordered his goons that they were leaving.

I held the weight in my hand until they exited the gym. When I turned around, George was standing behind me. The ends of his lips curled upwards.

"Is that a smile, George?" I said.

He grunted before he started to make his way to the changing rooms.

The following morning I went with Tim to Birmingham Wholesale Market. Tim had Capital Birmingham playing on the way to the market while he sang along to the tunes. I found this odd. By four-thirty, we were loading the van with our weekly supplies for the shop, which will take us through until we close for Christmas.

"Jason came home last night," Tim happily said. "He had a small suitcase with him. Hopefully, he'll stay this time."

"That's great, Tim. Is everything ok with him?" I curiously said. I stopped what I was doing for a moment, my mind elsewhere. 'Yesterday, the people he was working with were looking for him, and today he's at home.'

"Come on, Michael, pass the box over. Customers will start rolling into the café soon!" Tim yelled.

It didn't take us long to get back to the shop. Tim reversed the van to the back door of the cafe. We then quickly unloaded the boxes into the shop storeroom. Tim went to the kitchen to help with the preparations while I finished off in the back. Once I finished, I rushed into the kitchen, grabbing a clean pair of latex gloves.

"Good morning, Mike!" George yelled.

I froze, being used to George just nodding his head. Even Roxanne and Bianca were surprised by George's sudden use of words. They both rushed towards him, as one put the back of her hand to his forehead to take his temperature, while the other took his wrist to check his pause.

George managed to push the waitresses away with incredible difficulty. They would not leave him alone until he greeted them as well.

"Good morning!" George yelled, adding a grunt at the end.

They began to scream like cheerleaders, waving their arms in the air as if their team had just scored a goal.

As the week was coming nearer to the end, everyone was excited as it got nearer to the festive days. Christmas day is on Saturday this year. Tim decided to close the cafe on Thursday, giving everyone Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day off. He even surprised everyone by adding an extra £100 bonus to their salary.

We all had our plans. George was going north to see his family. Roxanne and Bianca were going to London to stay with some friends. The Wrights family was going to London and planning to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day with Sargent Wright's family. I planned to visit Nick on Christmas Day, spend it with his family. They invited mum as well. Frank always excused himself from a family gathering to spend most of the day at the pub.

When Friday morning came, and everyone was ready to go, Jason decided to stay home. Tim and Barbara tried to convince him to go, but his response was.

"I'm not going to London to get interrogated by my uncle!" He angrily screamed.

Tim and Barbara did not want to leave Jason alone during this time. Tim said, "I'll call my brother and cancel our visit." Tina rushed to her bedroom in tears while Barbara chased after her trying to comfort her.

Sinking my shoulders, I said, "I'll stay with Jason."

His response was, "I don't need a fucking babysitter."

After convincing Tim and Barbara, by midday, they were ready to go to London. I watched as they left, Tina staring out of the rear window, waving goodbye.

Chapter 8

My first Christmas away from home, and I will be spending it with Jason. The last person I wanted to be during holidays. It was the least I could do for Tim and Barbara after what they've done for me. If it wasn't for them, where would I be today? With their help, I have a roof under my head and some money saved up.

For most of the day, Jason and I avoided each other. The only time I saw him was in the evening. I was pre-heating some lasagne in the microwave when Jason walked into the kitchen.

"Hey, buddy, you want me to put a piece of lasagne in the microwave for you as well," I said, trying to break the ice between us.

He walked past me, heading straight for the fridge. "First, I'm not your buddy, and second, if I want to make something to eat, I'll make it myself."

I lifted both my hands, making a surrender gesture. That's when the microwave bell dinged; reminding me my food was ready. I casually walked out of the kitchen towards my bedroom with a plate of steaming hot lasagne in one hand and a can of soft drink in the other.

After nine, when I knew Frank would be at the pub. I called mum on Facetime to wish her a Merry Christmas and spend some time with her since I knew she was alone. I promised her that I would try and make it for the New Year. She declared that she would try her best to come to Birmingham, as she had something significant to tell me. I asked her to say it to me, but she insisted that she said it when she came to Birmingham. I said goodnight to her, kissed the tips of my three middle fingers then touched the screen.

She did the same, and then the screen went blank.

Lying on my bed, I wondered what was so important that mum had to tell me in person. Is it about Frank and her? Is she going to ask him to leave? Maybe he's abusing her again? Reaching over to the side cabinet, I switched off the bedside lamp. The room went into darkness; only a tiny amount of light lit up the room. It came from the window. I looked out at the moon as the thin film of clouds drifted in front of it, making a thin layer of fog. My eyes moistened, making everything blurry as tears rolled down my cheeks. I closed my eye, going into obscurity.

The floodlights to the backyard came on, bringing me out of my light sleep. I was in a dream that I didn't want to end. I smiled as my father disappeared into a cloud; his voice faded away. "Everything is going to be ok, Michael," he whispered. Coming back to reality, I jumped out of bed. When I looked out of the window, I sighed when I saw who it was.

It was Jason's movement that caused the lights to come on. He was standing outside, his smartphone glued to his ear. Through the double-glazed window, I couldn't hear what was said. I went downstairs to encounter him. The back door to the yard was closed. With my hand, I gave it a firm shove to see if it was locked.

There was sudden crashing noise, which came from the storeroom. "What the fuck, man!" Jason yelled.

"What's going on, Jason!" He was standing there at the entrance of the room, trying to dial a number on his smartphone

"It's none of your business. You can't help me. No one can help me!" Jason spat his words into my face. Pushing me out of the way, he rushed upstairs.

I followed him. Stopping outside his bedroom door, a few seconds after he slammed it closed, leaving me in the passage and him inside his room. I lifted my hand to knock on the door, but I forced it back down. 'I'll speak to him in the morning; maybe he'll have a change of heart on Christmas Day.' Glancing at my watch, it was after midnight. It was Christmas Day. I went back to my room, getting ready for bed.

I was tossing and turning all night regarding what mum wanted to tell me? Eventually, I fell asleep at three in the morning, only to wake up a few hours later. It was six, two hours before sunrise. I grabbed my Macbook and watched an episode of a new mini-series until seven. What a great way to spend Christmas day. I decided to do some morning workouts. With my face inches away from the carpet while doing my press-ups. A flood of light came through the window, caused by the activation of the floodlights.

"What the fuck now, Jason?" I yelled. "God help you if that is you and not a fox.

When I looked out of the window, it wasn't a fox that triggered the floodlights to come on. It was Shark with eight of his henchmen. They stood in a horizontal line, facing the back door to the cafe. The Shark stood between his crew, half of them on the left and the others on the side. Opposite them, facing them, was Jason. He had in his hand a piece of wood, which seemed like a cricket bat.

I grabbed my jeans, quickly putting them on. I rushed down the stairs, leaping out into the backyard. Shark was approaching Jason with his favourite toy in his hand. His switchblade. He stopped when he saw me. I stopped between the two of them. My left hand was raised in front of Shark, my fingers inches away from the blade. On my other hand, I stopped Jason from lifting the bat by grabbing his wrist. I held his hand down.

"What's going on here?" I yelled.

"Jason owes us money. £1000," Shark yelled back. His men were backing him up.

"I borrowed only £500," Jason screamed.

The loud sound of police sirens, followed by two police cars entering the backyard, made everyone turn around. Half-dozen police officers leapt out of the vehicles. That many came through the yard entrance as well. Sharks men started running in different directions like bees do when you disturb their beehive. I pushed Jason into the back entrance of the cafe. He disappeared into the darkness. I grabbed the Sharks arm, tightening my grip as much as I could. He dropped the switchblade; I caught it with my other hand. I forced him as well into the cafe. We both went headfirst through the entrance. I kicked the door to close. The emergency handle came up, the door locked.

Shark struggled to free himself. I held him down. "If you carry on, they will hear us," I whispered in his ear. He relaxed.

I got off him, pushing myself towards the wall opposite. He sat up. We both sat on the cold concrete floor with our legs spread out. Jason was further down the corridor, seated on the ground as well. The three of us stared at the emergency door. We were waiting to see if someone would start banging on it. We could hear the uproar outside. The police searched the area, made some arrests as well. I kept on looking over at Shark. Just in case he tried anything. He was alert too. The difference was, I had the upper hand. I had his switchblade.

It was ten in the morning when the noise subsided outside.

"I think the police are gone," I said. Shark looked at me, so did Jason. I waited to see Sharks reaction.

"Gone or not. I'm fucked," Shark said. "I dropped my switchblade when you grabbed my arm. The police probably have it now. It won't be long until they dust it for fingerprints." He had a worried look on his face.

I looked at Shark, then at Jason. "Go to my bedroom and bring the grey tracksuit top that is on the bed," I ordered Jason.

I didn't need to repeat myself. Jason ran up the stairs. In the process, he slipped twice, causing a loud thumping sound each time. That brought a smile to Sharks face. I rolled my eyes. He got close enough to toss it over to me when he was back with the top, but not too near to Shark.

"You can put this on," I said. I threw the tracksuit top over to Shark. "With the hood over your head, you can sneak out without anyone recognising you."

He got up, put it on and threw the hood over his head. He was about to push the emergency door to open. I grabbed his hand while I shook my head. "Better you leave from the front of the shop," I said. All three of us made our way through the kitchen to the front of the shop. We looked up and down the street for any police officers or patrol cars. There was nothing.

I unlocked the main door to the shop, opened it enough for him to leave. "Jason and I will come to the casino today at midday about his debt," I said. Taking the switchblade out of my pocket, I put it in Sharks hand. He looked at the knife, nodded his head and disappeared down an alleyway across the street.

Jason went to say something, but I stopped him by raising my hand in a stop gesture. "Be ready to go to the Casino at eleven forty-five," I said.

Five minutes before midday, we were outside the casino. Two doormen outside the casino blocked the entrance when we were a few feet from the door. The one on the left said, "Christmas Day, gentlemen. We're closed.

"Call Shark," I said.

"Christmas Day, he's not here," the same doormen said.

"Now. We need to see him," I insisted.

The other doorman turned to face the door. He forced his finger on his earpiece to hear better before he spoke into the mouthpiece. When he finished, he opened the door and let us inside.

A female waitress was in the lobby to greet us. She escorted us to the bar. She had a smile on her face that would lure a man of God into a house of sin. I scanned the tables around me. The blackjack tables, roulette wheel tables and poker tables were empty from customers. Scattered around the room were employees of the casino, all wearing black suits. I recognised some of the faces from previous encounters. The waitress left us at the bar then disappeared through a coded door at the end of the bar counter. The barman took over. He greeted Jason by his name and me with sir before he offered us drinks. I declined for both of us.

Opposite the bar where we stood, we had the view of a curved staircase leading to the upper floor. The Shark appeared at the top. He began to make his way down. Behind him, a big man puffing on a thick cigar. Following him close behind were two bodyguards.

The Shark approached me. He greeted me with a nod. He then disappeared towards the exit of the casino.

The man with the cigar went behind the bar. He gestured his bodyguards to stand close to Jason and me. The barman stepped back to make way for his boss. The boss took two cognac glasses from under the counter. He poured a double Hennessy Paradis Cognac in each glass.

He took a deep inhale from his cigar. A few seconds later, he released the thick white smoke upwards towards the ceiling. "My nephew told me you saved his neck this morning," The boss said.

"I did what I had to do," I replied. He got me off guard. I didn't know what else to say.

"I like that. 'I did what I had to do,' I like you. You have balls," The boss said. He picked up one of the cognac glasses. He looked at the other glass than at me; I picked up the glass. "Cheers," he said. He tossed the liquid into his mouth. Before he could put the glass down on the counter, I flung the liquid into my mouth as well.

I felt a burning in my chest. I began to cough.

The boss started to laugh. He laughed so much his face went as red as a beetroot. Suddenly he went quiet. With a series look, he said, "Where is my money."

I pulled a brown envelope from the inside of my jacket; the bodyguards moved in for the kill. The boss gestured for them to step back.

"There is £700 in the envelope. That should cover Jason's debt." I said.

The boss inhaled his cigar hard. He held the smoke there for over a minute. His eyes went red before he blew the smoke out, this time into my face.

I struggled not to cough from the smoke.

The boss snatched the envelope from the counter. "Get out of my casino now!" he screamed.

Jason and I jumped back. The two bodyguards felt the same. You could see the fear on their faces. We rushed out of the casino as fast as we could. The Shark was waiting for us at the exit of the car park.

With his index finger, The Shark poked Jason on his chest. "I don't want to see you near the casino again. Are we clear?"

"Yes, yes," Jason cried.

The Shark turned his attention to me. "As for you, Mike, it's Mike, right."

"To my friends, but I'll make an exception this time," I smiled.

He smiled back and nodded his head.

I nodded back.

Chapter 9

We walked in silence on the way back home. Not a single word was said. Jason was ahead of me, his head down in shame. As we entered the flat, we went up the stairs. He was taking two steps at a time. He stopped once we reached the top. He turned quickly around to face me. I could see he wanted to say something, but he couldn't find the words to speak. When he eventually spoke, he said, "I want to thank you for today, and I promise you that I will pay you back every penny."

"Jason, it wasn't about the money. I did it for your family. Your dad, mum, Tina," I took a deep breath. "I did it for all of you. It was the least I could do after what your family did for me." I pause for a moment. "Hey, look, I'm going to my room for a while. I'm knackered." I left him standing there as I staggered to my room, totally exhausted. "Try not to get yourself in any trouble while I have a little rest!" I yelled.

I filled up the bath and soaked in hot water for a good half-hour. Once finished and dressed, I headed for the kitchen; I needed to eat before I call mum, as I did not have anything to eat all day. When I went to the kitchen and living room, Jason wasn't there. Going past his bedroom, I could hear the sound of the TV. I raised my hand to knock on the door to see if he was hungry. I soon changed my mind after what happened the day before with the lasagne.

I couldn't be bothered to cook anything, so I threw some porridge in the microwave to simmer. I stared at the contents once it was ready in the bowl. "Great. Porridge on Christmas Day," I muttered. I picked up the tin of hot chocolate, sprinkling some brown powder on top of the porridge, my meal for Christmas Day. "It's an improvement, at least with some chocolate sprinkled on top." I smiled at the thought.

Sitting crossed-legged on the bed, with the bowl in my lap, I fired up the MacBook. Turning on the FaceTime app, I dialled mum. It connected at once as if she was waiting beside the device, ready to press the connect button.

"Hi mum, Merry Christmas," I cheerfully said. I was trying to keep a happy face, even though I was homesick.

"Merry Christmas, Michael."

Frank was at the pub with his friends. We had the chance to talk for a while. I asked her a couple of times to tell me what was on her mind, but she insisted she would speak to me when she came down on New Year's Eve. I changed the subject to the happy memories we had when I was young. Within minutes we were joking and laughing as if we didn't have any problems. Then mum heard some noise behind her. Frank was back. The smile on her face disappeared.

"I have to go, son. We'll speak tomorrow." She blew me a kiss before shutting down her device.

I watched my reflection on the glossy screen of the laptop while my eyes became moist. Slamming the screen down to close the MacBook, I pushed it to the edge of the bed. I curled my body into a ball on top of the bed covers, ignoring everything around me, even when Jason knocked on the door. He gave up after a few minutes. I lay there, oblivious to the world.

Knock, knock, knock. "Michael, can you hear me." It was Jason's voice again.

I opened my eyes as I felt a shiver go through my spine. Grabbing the side of the bed cover, I threw it over my body. I turned to face the window. It was dark outside; it was night. I must have fallen asleep. I forgot what day it was for a moment. Checking the time on my smartphone, it was past six in the evening.

Knock, Knock. "Michael."

Jason was starting to annoy me. I rubbed my eyes to wake up fully. "What is it now, Jason!" I screamed.

"Can you open the door, please? I need you for something. It will only take a minute, please," he begged.

Jumping out of bed, I threw on my bathrobe. "It better be important!" I screamed. There was no one in the hallway when I opened the door. "What the fuck!" Now I was pissed off. I marched past his bedroom. The door was ajar, but no one was inside. I could hear some noise coming from the kitchen, but the food's aroma attracted me towards the dining room. On entering the room, I took a step back. The dining table was full of plates, with a variety of dishes. Jason was standing beside the table.

1...34567...10