Racing Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I overslept. What time did your mum and dad come back?" I asked enthusiastically.

He slowly shook his head. "They're still in London." he grinned.

I gestured my hand towards the food on the table. "What about all this?" I asked.

"I did have the best teachers, mum, dad and George, for who I owe a big apology, next time I see them."

"Yes, you owe them that," I agreed.

"Hey, Michael. I am sorry for getting you involved in my problems today. Regarding the money you paid today. Give me some time. I'll pay....."

I stopped him in mid-sentence. "Let's make a deal. You don't mention that money again, and your parents don't find out about what happened this morning."

He stood there like a statue, just staring at me.

"Are we clear," I said

I turned and went back to my bedroom, grabbed the small gift bag I had prepared the night before and went back to the dining room to find Jason sitting on the couch. He didn't even turn to look at me. He stared at the blank screen on the TV, which was off.

"Merry Christmas, Jason," I smiled, with my hand reached out to give him the gift bag.

He turned to look at me. "Merry Christmas," he replied. He just stared at the gift bag for a moment before he took it. He looked inside the small Christmas bag before he removed the contents. It was a box set of the last four James Bond movies.

"Your dad told me Daniel Craig was your favourite James Bond."

"He's the best James Bond," Jason responded with a smile.

I looked at all the dishes on the dining table and then said, "You want to eat, then watch a movie or eat while we watch Casino Royale."

"Mum doesn't like it when we eat food while we watch TV."

"Your mum is in London. After all, it's Christmas Day. She won't mind."

We grabbed a plate each, piled a mountain of food, and then grabbed a couch each. Jason put the disc in the Blue-Ray player, went through the menu, pressing the play button on the Extended Version. Fifteen minutes into the movie, we watched in silence. As soon as the action commenced, James Bond, beating the crap out of the bad guys. We began to comment on the scenes. We acted like best friends by the end of the movie, talking about the film and agreeing to watch the next Bond movie, once we prepared some refreshments. Jason even insisted on making the hot beverages before we put on Quantum of solace.

It was almost ten when we put on the second movie. Jason dimmed the lights, grabbed the remote for the Bose soundbar. The moment he pressed the power button, there was a deep base sound around the room. We were already on the edge of our seats from the beginning of the film as we watched Daniel Craig push the Aston Martin to its limits, with the bad guys in their cars chasing him. Our eyes were glued to the fifty-inch TV screen.

The lights in the living room suddenly became brighter. We turned towards the door entrance. Barbara was standing by the doorway with her hands across her chest. Tim next to her, he was forcing himself not to smile. Tina was behind them, biting her bottom lip. The deep bass sound turned into a mouse sound. I turned to see Jason, with his arm stretched out, the remote control pointed at the TV screen, but his eyes focused on his parents.

"Merry Christmas," Barbara said. "I'll put on the kettle." she disappeared towards the kitchen.

"Merry Christmas, lads," Tim cheerfully said. He winked at us.

Tina rushed to her brother, kissed him on his cheek before she cuddled up in his chest to watch the movie.

Barbara returned ten minutes later with a large tray, five tea mugs surrounding a Christmas pudding. The aroma of the desert filled the room with its lovely scent. "Can someone clean the coffee table so that I can put this down?" We all rushed to get rid of the empty plates.

All five of us enjoyed the rest of Christmas Day, going into Boxing Day. Jason apologised to his parents and sister, promising he would change. Eventually, we didn't watch the film. I was happy the Wright's family was together again. It was after two in the morning when Tim and Barbara went to bed. Jason, Tina and I cleaned up before we called it a day.

Boxing Day was a repeat of the previous day. It started with a sumptuous breakfast, which Barbara and Tim prepared. We all watched the festive shows that were on TV. We continued watching the Bond movie; we didn't finish the night before. For Barbara, it was too extreme. She ended up in the kitchen, preparing snacks for us. She was more of a romance movie fan. We surprised her once Bond was over with a Nicholas Spark movie, just for her. We all watched it together, even though Jason and I would comment on all the sad scenes as we watched his mum go for the tissue box. Late in the evening, Tina turned up with the Monopoly board game. There was some negativity about playing, but as soon as she set up the board and began sharing the money, we argued which token each person would get. It all brought back memories of when I was young when I played with my parents before losing my father. Jason and Tina won the game after joining forces since one had Park Lane and the other Mayfair. It didn't help much when they bankrupt Tim, taking his Bond Street. The other two green properties they owned. It was game over for me after landing on one of the navy streets with a Hotel. Barbara wouldn't give up easily, but she went down as well once she ran out of money.

It was another late night for everyone. Jason and Tina went to bed with their victory smiles. I could hear Tim's light snoring when I went to bed. Barbara stayed up to tidy up the living room. I watched an episode of a popular mini-series before I called it a night.

Chapter 10

Christmas Day and Boxing Day was over.

It was back to our routine on Monday. Tim and I were up from the crack of dawn. We had to go and get supplies for the cafe as we were running low. Leaving George, the chef, to open up the restaurant, we jumped in the transit van and headed for the wholesalers. The warehouse was more busy than usual due to businesses being closed during the festive days. We got back later than we expected, finding the cafe full as we drove past the shop. We quickly unloaded everything into the storeroom before we made our way into the kitchen.

Every table in the shop was full, with a queue of customers waiting to be seated. Barbara and Tina were helping the waitresses. As soon as a table was empty, they would help Bianca and Roxanne clean it before other customers sat down. I rushed to the pot wash, but someone else was wearing my apron. Jason was scrubbing away at the plates, trying to keep up with the flow of dirty dishes piling up next to him. I eventually helped Tim and George in the kitchen.

It was after two in the afternoon when things slowed down. Tim told George and me to take a break and have something to eat. With a chicken salad for myself and George with one of his homemade steak and kidney pies, we sat at one of the tables to eat. George was worse than me when he ate. He was shovelling the food into his mouth with the fork. Once we both finished, we sat back for a few minutes with our hot beverages.

"It would be best if you ate healthier at your age, George," I said. I was gesturing my hand at the grease on the plate in front of him.

"Tell me about it. Maybe for the new year, I'll turn into a rabbit, like some people I know." He gestured towards my plate.

We both laughed at our comments.

As we got up, I grabbed our plates and headed for the pot wash. "Did Jason get the chance to speak to you yet? I asked George. "He said he was going to speak to you."

George smiled as he looked over towards the pot wash. "The little shit came and apologised as soon as he saw me this morning." He turned to face me and smiled. "He's a good kid." George nodded his head at me. "Michael, you're a good man and a good friend to have. This family is fortunate to have met you."

I looked at George's face curiously, tilting forward to get a closer view.

"What?" he responded?

"Are your eyes moist?" I said. "Girls, I think George is going soft on us. He is about to shed some tears!" I yelled so Bianca and Roxanne would hear me.

The girls came over to get a closer look. Once they were near enough, they were all over George. They tried to comfort him with hugs and kisses on the cheek. He struggled to fight them back, but it was a no-win situation for him. The shop's regular customers, who knew George, had a good laugh as they saw the grumpy man they knew get pinned down by two young beauties.

The next few days went placidly as we got closer to the weekend. Jason found peace with his family as he got closer to them. He was the first in the cafe when the shop opened and the last to wipe down the workbench in the evening. For me, it was the longest week. Every minute seemed an hour for me, waiting for my mother to come to Birmingham. I was curious to hear what she wanted to tell me, but mostly to see her.

We all had a minor situation on New Year's Eve before closing the shop. Tim decided to close at midday to prepare for the small party the family would have that evening to celebrate the New Year's arrival. He sent the waitresses and George home early to spend the New Year with their family and friends.

We were getting ready to close the shop. Two more tables remained with customers. One of them, a couple, was enjoying their beverages romantically. The other table was an elderly couple who were regulars. They were having a chat with Tim and Barbara. Jason and I went to the storeroom to get some beverages for the party that evening. Tina was already upstairs taking care of the decorating for the New Year party. Jason and I put various drinks in a crate when we heard the shop door open then close. A few moments later, we heard a familiar voice we both knew. We stopped what we were doing and looked at each other before we rushed back into the kitchen.

It was Shark. He was sitting at one of the tables. Two of his henchmen were standing at the entrance. They were like bouncers outside of a nightclub. The romantic couple quickly got up to leave. You could see the fear in their faces. One of the henchmen opened the door as they hurried out of the shop. The elders stayed put with Tim and Barbara. All four of them, their eyes, were glued on Shark.

Jason stood next to me. He was scared. "Don't do anything," I said. I was trying to act as calmly as possible. "He's probably here for me."

Shark spotted me as I approached the table; he was seated. "I hope it's not too late to have something to eat?" He said with a smile.

Tim was ready to get up.

I shook my head at him slowly.

He sat back down.

I went and stood over Shark, like a waiter ready to take his order, but we weren't taking any more orders today. "Sorry, the shop is closed," I confidently said.

He gestured his hand to the seat opposite him. "Take a seat, Mike,"

Once I was seated, we just sat there staring into each other's eyes in silence. Everyone was quiet. It was so still; you could hear the buzzing from the fluorescent lights in the display fridge.

Shark broke the quietness. He took out his favourite toy, his switchblade. He put it on the table, with the blade facing towards me. The good thing it was closed. He pushed it nearer to me. "This is a gift from me to you," he said.

"This isn't a social visit, Shark. Why are you here?"

He smiled again. "My uncle wants to see you." He lifted his left hand, brought it closer to his face and stared at his nails like he was inspecting them if they were clean, then peered at me. "He wants to offer you a job. You don't have to give me an answer now. I'll be back in two days."

I pushed the switchblade towards him. "I'll save you the journey. My answer is no."

He picked up his weapon and put it in his pocket. "I'll be back in two days," he repeated himself as he got up to leave.

I got up as well. "You won't be coming back, Shark."

"Sorry?" He grinned.

"You're not coming back because you are not welcome here, Shark." His henchmen stepped forward. They were ready. Like pit bulls waiting for their master to give them the order to attack.

His grin disappeared. He put his hand in his pocket; in anticipation, I waited for him to pull out the switchblade. The only item I could use as a weapon was the chair next to me. I wrapped my hand tightly around the top rail. My eyes glued on Shark, at the same time cautious from his henchmen.

He stared at my hand for a moment before he looked up. His grin was back. "You know this makes us even now," Shark said. "I didn't like the food here anyway." he looked at his men. "Come on, lads, let's go." He made his way out of the cafe. His henchmen close behind him. "No one eats here anymore. Tell the others as well." Shark ordered his men with authority in his voice.

Tim apologised to the customers for what they had just witnessed. They left as well soon after.

Tim, Barbara, Jason, and I stood there, glaring at each other.

I could see Tim was trying to get his head around what had just happened. He looked at Jason, then at me. He mainly glared at me. "Can one of you tell me what all that was about?"

Barbara locked the shop entrance and came and stood next to her husband with her hands crossed across her chest. She stared at both of us the way her husband was looking at us, confused.

"Let me explain..." Jason put his hand on my shoulder before I could speak.

Jason asked his parents and me to take a seat at one of the tables. For a minute, if not more, Jason sat there staring down at his laps. Tim was getting impatient with him. Barbara noticed her husband. She put her hand on top of his hand, squeezing it. As if she was telling Tim to give their son some time. Once Jason found his words, he spilt the beans. He told them everything. He held nothing back. He had his parents on the edge of their chairs for the next hour, Barbara holding her husband's hand tight. When Jason had finished, all three of them turned to me. Barbara was seated closer to me; she released her husband's hand, took mine, and squeezed it. Her tears were running down her cheeks. Tim's eyes were moist; his flood gates were ready to open as well.

Jason raised his eyebrows at me. "Did I leave anything out, mate?" He asked.

I shook my head.

We all embraced each other, with more tears, ready to be released. Tim and Barbara couldn't stop thanking me for saving their son's ass, while Jason kept apologising to his parents, promising them that it was all over, that he had learnt his lesson.

"Have you lot finished down here." We all turned to see Tina standing by the cash register, with her hands crossed across her chest. Her left eyebrow raised. "I'm upstairs getting everything ready, and you lot have not finished down here yet!" she yelled.

Jesus Christ, like mother like daughter," Tim said.

"Stop it," Barbara said to Tim, winning him another light slap on the shoulder.

We all began to laugh, sharing tears of joy this time. Tina didn't move a muscle, her eyebrow still raised.

Chapter 11

It was late afternoon when Sargent Wright called to tell us that they were exiting the motorway and would be here soon. At the time, Jason and I were downstairs in the cafe, busy grilling some pork chops on the Lava Rock Grill. Something that Tim disagreed with. He wanted us to light up the charcoal grill in the yard, but it was too cold outside.

I was on edge, and I couldn't wait to see mom. When I heard the doorbell chime, I felt the butterflies rise in my stomach. My vision went to the shop window. There she was, mum was standing behind everyone else. She was clenching her handbag with both her hands.

"Go!" Jason said. He motioned his head towards the cafe entrance.

I was making my way across the cafe when the door to the flat opened, Tina appeared. When I opened the cafe's main entrance, Mum didn't acknowledge my presence, and I sneaked up behind her. Tina embraced everyone in turn before she disappeared upstairs with her two cousins.

"Hey, beautiful," I whispered in mums ear.

She quickly turned to face me. On seeing me, she raised her hand to her mouth. "Oh my God!" she screamed, getting Sargent Wright and his wife's attention. She embraced me, holding me tight in her arms as she buried her face on my shoulder, stifling her cries.

When mums emotions subsided, I greeted Sargent Wright with a firm handshake. He introduced me to his wife, Eveline. He also insisted that I call him Mr Wright when he was off duty.

"So this is the young man that Barbara and Tim have been telling me about," Eveline said, greeting me as well with a firm hug. That won me a hard slap on the shoulder by Sargent Wright.

"Hi, uncle Barry and aunty Eveline. Welcome to Birmingham," Jason said as he appeared from the shop entrance. He wouldn't make eye contact with either of them.

Sargent Wright stepped back. "Is that you, Jason? I haven't seen you in such a long time. I wouldn't recognise you if I saw you on the street." He walked up to Jason putting his arm out for a hand gesture but eventually embraced him in a firm embrace.

Jason stayed downstairs until the meat was ready. I went upstairs with mum and the others. I didn't have any choice; mum wouldn't let go of my hand. I figure she missed me all these months. Everyone made mum feel at home, especially Barbara and Eveline. It was like all three of them were long lost, friends. They had so much in common. Before you know it, they were exchanging telephone contacts.

"Don't forget to add each other on Facebook," Tina cheekily said.

"There is also Instagram," one of Tina's cousins added.

The evening went splendidly. The food was incredible, a table with various dishes, enough food to feed an army.

"With all this food, we could have invited Shark and his henchmen," I said to Jason.

Jason rolled his eyes. "Don't joke like that," he replied. I gather the lesson was enough for him. When he sees a casino now, he'll go the opposite direction. Jason grabbed a couple of shot glasses and poured two JD shots to the rim. "Let's get wasted," he screamed. We threw the liquid in our mouths at the same time.

Instantly the soundbar came to life with 'Be the one', the sound system's bass, shaking the walls. We quickly cleared some space in the living room for dancing. Tim and Barbara were the first to hit the dance floor. It didn't take long before everyone joined in. The drinks flowed well into the night. Even Tina and her cousins had their first taste of Champagne. All the grown-ups seemed to control their consumption of alcohol. I guess they have years of experience in that department. Jason and I didn't get wasted, but we got tipsy.

Once the clock hit midnight, everyone embraced each other, wishing each other 'Happy New Year'. Mum and I hugged each other, not letting each other go for a while. When we released each other, I asked her the question I had been waiting to ask all week. "What did you want to tell me, mum?" I stood there staring at her waiting for an answer. I asked her again the same question, insisting on a solution.

She looked around her at everyone, except for me. Her eyes went moist; she wiped her tears away with the sleeve of her cardigan. "Honey, let's wait till morning." she was delaying.

"No! I want to know now!" I was slurring my words. My voice was higher than usual. The JD was affecting me.

I got everyone's attention. Even the music shut down. Before I could look around me, Tim and Sargent Wright were next to me, one on either side.

"Is everything ok, Michael?" Tim asked.

"Come on, son, let's get you to bed," Sargent Wright said, grabbing me by the arm.

I looked at them both before my vision went and stayed on my mother's face. My eyes were glued to her eyes. "Not until I get an answer?" I insisted. I could feel Sargent Wright's grip on my arm getting tighter.

1...45678...10