Racing Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mum spoke, "Wait! I guess now's a good time as any to tell you." Sargent Wright released my arm. Now everyone's eyes were bored on mum. She smiled at me before she hit me with her news. "It's about your Grandparents. They are not dead. They're alive."

I needed to get out of the room. I rushed downstairs, opened the front door and stood outside. Mums news and crisp fresh air sobered me up. Across the street, a group of people celebrated the changing of the year, "Happy New Year!" they shouted. Their voices subsided as they turned the corner. I felt mum put a jacket over my shoulders. She joined me, stood next to me. It was silent all around us, except for the distant sound of people celebrating the New Year.

"You must hate me," Mum said.

"I don't hate you, mum. I'm a little pissed off with you, but I don't hate you." I turned to face her. I could see the anxiety in her eyes. "My grandparents are alive!" I yelled. Embracing her, I lifted her off the ground.

We didn't get to bed until the early hours of the morning. I had so many questions I wanted to ask my mother about my grandparents. She was excited as I was. They still lived in Essex, in the same house that mum grew up in when she was a teenager. Mum hadn't seen her parents for over twenty-five years. After a massive argument with my grandad, they hadn't spoken to each other for so many years. Mum had an old school friend who kept her informed about them.

"When was the last time you spoke to your friend, mum?" I asked, waiting with enthusiasm for an answer.

She smiled, taking both my hands in hers. "I spoke to her last week. They are both fine. Your grandad is a stubborn man. He'll live until he's one-hundred years old." She stared away while she wiped her eyes.

I took her chin in my hand and turned her head to face me. "Mum, are you ok?"

"That's where I got the stubbornness from your grandad." She smiled at me. With the back of her hand, she lightly stroked my cheek. "I should have gone and spoken to dad and mum. I'm the one who disappeared from their lives."

"I have to go to Essex, mum. I have to meet them."

"What if they reject you, Michael? I don't want you to get hurt again."

"I have to, mum."

Chapter 12

It was late in the afternoon when mum and Sargent Wright's family were ready to go back to London. Everyone got into the vehicle and waited for mum to say goodbye to me. Before she got into the car, she embraced me and kissed me on the forehead, promising me that there would be a lot of changes and that I'd be back home soon. Once everyone was in the car, Sargent Wright looked in his rear mirror, "Buckle up, ladies!" he ordered everyone. Once the seat belts clicked in place, they were off.

I spent two more weeks in Birmingham. I didn't want to leave Tim and the others until they got a replacement for me. The shop wasn't as busy after the New Year. That gave Jason and Tina a chance to show me around Birmingham. It was a good time for the two siblings to spend some time together. They would argue every day on where to take me, but they agreed on somewhere eventually.

I needed to get some wheels, as I wanted to travel around more independently, not depend on trains and buses. I had saved up some money, which I tried to use to get some wheels. I asked Tim if he knew any car dealers to buy a cheap car. The next day with Barbara running the cafe, Tim Jason and I got into the transit van to visit Tim's friend who owned a car showroom on Birmingham's outskirts. It was a half-hour drive to our destination, which I thought was a waste of time when we got there. The dealers' car lot had over fifty vehicles for sale, but they were not in my budget range. Prices started at five thousand pounds and went up to over twenty thousand, not to mention the prestige cars in the showroom, which all had a price tag of over thirty thousand.

With my budget of two to three thousand pounds, I said to Tim, "Let's get out of here, Tim. These cars are far too expensive for me."

"We are here now. Let's see what offer Charlie can offer us. He owes me a favour," Tim said, winking at me as he parked near the entrance of the showroom.

A large man in a sheepskin coat came out to greet us. "Welcome to 'Prestige Motors', he said, pointing his finger to the large sign on the building above the showroom. "Hello, Tim," giving him a firm handshake, then rubbed his hands together. "What can I do for you?" he asked.

Tim turned to me, telling me to look around at the cars while he spoke to Charlie. The two men disappeared inside, to some offices in the back of the showroom. Jason and I wandered off around the lot to see the cars. I browsed while inspecting their specs, knowing I wouldn't purchase anything due to the high prices. On the other hand, Jason was drawling over all the sports cars. We both strayed to the back of the showroom, where we found four vehicles parked bumper to bumper next to the building. They didn't have prices on them, so I didn't know if they were for sale, but if Charlie were selling one of these vehicles, it would be in my budget range, as they were older models to the ones in front of the showroom. Jason wanted to go back to where the expensive cars were, but I was busy inspecting the hidden gems in my fund limit.

"Hey Mike, have you finished. My dad will be looking for us," Jason said. He was eager to go where the more expensive cars were.

"Hold on a minute. There might be something that interests me here." I held a finger up.

The back door to the showroom swung open, Tim and Charlie appeared behind me. "You found them. I was about to show Tim these four cars." He saw I was interested, even though I didn't say anything. "Let me get the keys." He disappeared back inside, reappearing a couple of minutes later. "Here are the keys." Charlie slammed them into my palm. "Unlock them start the engines, play with the car radio. Do what you kids do when you're out to buy a car." He then turned to Tim. "Let's have some coffee until they finish." They both disappeared again.

For the next half hour, I was all over the cars. Inside the cockpit, I was checking that everything worked and also for wear and tear; Laying on the ground, I inspected the bottom of the vehicles for leaks; Inside the engine bay, I checked for more leaks, and with the engine running, I would listen for any unusual sounds. Jason was behind me all the time, asking questions.

Tim and Charlie finished their coffee when I finished my inspection of the cars.

"Have you seen anything you like, Michael?" Tim asked.

Before I could say anything, Charlie tried to decide for me. "I would go for the Vauxhall Corsa. It's a low insurance group. Plus, you have a nice radio with a nice set of rims on that one. Also, the Mini Cooper S is a good buy." He walked up to the Mini; he opened the drivers' door. "Look at that leather interior," he proudly said.

That is when I had to say something, "I like the Mini, but the white cream I found when I opened the oil cap that shows me water going into the engine. That is not a good sign. The Vauxhall, I agree it is a low insurance group. The problem is how much it would cost to fix the tapping sound inside the engine, which was probably caused by a boy racer who tried to silence the noise with STP oil or maybe thicker oil." I walked to the fourth vehicle. "I might be interested in the Volkswagen Golf, with no extras, which a family probably owned."

Charlie stared at me. I was waiting for him to tell me that the cars were not for sale. "Son, I like you. Three thousand, and it's yours?" He put out his hand to shake on the deal.

"Two thousand five hundred, and we have a deal," I said, sticking my hand out to close the deal.

Tim jumped in the middle of the conversation, grasping a bunch of fifty-pound notes in his hand. "We'll be paying in cash," he confirmed.

"Let's go and find the logbook for it," Charlie said.

Once we were all in Charlie's office, he closed the door behind him. With all the paperwork signed, Tim handed over to Charlie the cash we agreed on. Charlie insisted on servicing the vehicle, and one of his employees would deliver it the next day to the shop, but I insisted on taking it the same day. A half-hour later, I was driving my new set of wheels out of the driving lot.

When we got home, I approached Tim to give him the money he paid for the car, which he declined.

He put his hand on my shoulder. "It is the least I can do for you, Michael. You saved my boy; you got my family back together." He embraced me. "Thank you for everything, Michael."

"No, thank you," I replied.

Releasing each other, we both wiped our eyes awkwardly.

I let out a little scream, "damn it. I could have got a better car with both our money put together." We both chuckled.

The next day I ordered parts for the Volkswagen and Transit van to get get the cars serviced. I also got myself a nice set of quality tools. Once everything came, I worked on the cars for two days. I gave the Volkswagen full service, changing brakes and discs as well. I did the same to Tim's van as he had the MOT coming up soon. It was good to get under a car bonnet again, getting your hands greased up. When I finished Tim's van, he was ecstatic when he drove it. He couldn't believe it was the same car.

It was Sunday, late in the afternoon, when I was ready to go. With the back seats folded down, I had all my belongings jammed in the small space the Volkswagen could accommodate.

Throwing the last item in the back, I closed the boot. "Good thing, I got a car. No way I would have been able to take all my belongings with me." I said to Jason, who was standing next to me.

"Well, this is it, buddy," he replied.

All the Wright's family were there to send me off. Everyone was sad that I was leaving, including me. Barbara prepared a cool box for me with some sandwiches and beverages. Tina took a couple of Polaroid pictures by setting up the camera on some empty crates so that everyone could be in the picture.

It was difficult to leave, but I had to. We said our goodbyes with embraces. I got into the car. Tina gave me a Polaroid photo, showing all of us smiling at the camera. I lay the picture on top of the ashtray cover, started the engine and slowly drove out of the yard, watching the Wright's threw my rearview mirror as I left. Ten minutes later, I was on the motorway on my way to London. With a long stretch of the M6 in front of me, I watched the skyline as it got darker.

The cogs in my brain worked overtime, making up scenarios of what would happen when I met my grandparents. Should I go and knock on their front door, or should I stay at a hotel and go and see them in the morning. I'll decide when I reach my destination.

Chapter 13

All the vehicles proceeded at a steady speed on the M6. I was hoping to get to Essex before nine. My timing changed once I got onto the M25. All the cars came to a halt for some reason. After some time, drivers got out of their vehicles to stretch their legs. Some even stood on the foot panel of their cars to get a better view into the distance. You could see hundreds of rear brake lights shining in the distance as they disappeared into the horizon. It took over an hour for the vehicles to start moving again at a moderate pace. A mile farther along the highway, the cause of the problem emerged. On the hard shoulder sat a Mini Copper, its front end crumbled, with parts of its lights and front grill littering lane one, which was closed by the police. The vehicle the mini collided with was a Jaguar that had minimum damage to its rear bumper. Two police officers were interviewing the drivers of the cars.

As soon as all the motorists went past the accident site, the cars began to move again. Everyone gradually picked up speed. The smart motorway's alert signs showed a maximum speed of sixty miles per hour instead of seventy. I was doing the top speed I was allowed continually, and before I knew it, the sign for Enfield Town came up. The area I grew up was only a few minutes away. Essex, which was my destination, was another forty-five minutes' drive. I decided to go to Enfield before going to Essex. I indicated to get off the motorway, quickly manoeuvring the car onto lane one to exit.

By nine-thirty, I was parked outside my mother's house. It was a still Sunday evening, not a soul in sight. The lights were on in the living room; they shone through the pastel green curtains that mum loved. I sat there until ten, just watching the house, wondering what mum was doing--probably watching one of her shows on TV.

How much I wanted to call mum, but I didn't want to cause her any problems with Frank or get myself into trouble with the police. I dialled the next person who was close to me, Nick. When I told him where I was, he insisted we meet up. Ten minutes later, I was ringing his doorbell. I could hear footsteps inside, someone rushing to the front door.

When the door opened, Nick greeted me with a smile. "Hey, buddy, it's great to see you again." He embraced me with a bear hug, which I returned. When he released me, he cheerfully said, "I want you to meet someone."

As we made our way to the living room. Nick kept on talking, not giving me a chance to speak. As we entered the room, Nick's parents were seated on a double sofa. On the other three-seater couch sat a young lady. Instantly his parents got up to greet me. His dad with a firm handshake and his mum with a hug.

"This is Emma, Mike," Nick said with enthusiasm.

She got up, with her hand stretched out for a hand gesture. Once we finished with the introductions, we all sat down.

Nicks' dad grabbed the TV remote control; he muted the volume on the device. "So, tell us what you've been up to, Michael?" he said.

His mum got up, "Hold that thought, Michael," she said as I was about to speak. "Let me make some hot beverages first. Remind me again; it's one teaspoon of coffee and one teaspoon of sugar with a little milk?. Right."

"Yes." I quickly replied.

Until his mum came back with the drinks, Nick gave me a more in-depth analysis of how he met Emma at the annual Christmas party held at the University Forum. Emma was a little embarrassed, being the main subject of the conversation. Nicks dad noticed this and tried to show Nick some facial gestures to slow down a little, but my friend didn't get the hint. I guess he was excited to show off his girlfriend. I don't blame him as Emma was a beautiful young lady. In the end, Nicks mum saved Emma when she came with our drinks.

It was my turn to be the main attraction. I told them about Birmingham and what I was doing when I was there. I left out the part with Jason and the casino adventure I had. Once I finished, Nick's mum and dad attacked me verbally about my studies. "What about your studies, Michael," Nicks dad said. They both got off my case when I told them I had applied for next year and was accepted.

"What are you going to do until then? Where are you going to stay?" Nick asked.

I looked at Nick and smiled. "You know, I thought my grandparents were dead. They're alive and live in Essex. Mum told me on New Year's Eve." My eyes misted up as I told my best friend.

Nick and his family were delighted with my news. 'Wow,' Emma said, and she had only known me for one hour.

It was nearly midnight when I left. Nick's parents insisted that I stay the night, but I had already booked a room at the Holiday Inn in Essex. "The hotel is only one mile from my grandparent's place," I told them.

Nick and Emma walked me to my car; my friend embraced me before entering the Golf. Emma did the same instead of a direct handshake.

With the car started up, Nick said, "If things don't work out, give me a call."

"Good luck," Emma said.

"You two take care of each other." I smiled at Nick and Emma. I shifted the Golf in gear, and I was off. I stuck my hand out of the car window and waved goodbye to them. I watched them wave back through the rear-view mirror before I turned the corner. I was happy for Nick that he had found someone to love, and it seemed Emma had the same feelings for him as well.

I took the A406 to Essex, taking me through Edmonton, Tottenham and Walthamstow. I felt a deep sadness, seeing all these places again after so many months. Many memories flooded my head as I drove through all the familiar streets. As I exited South Woodford, the blue road sign showed me to go left to get onto the M11. This brought me back down to earth. Instead of taking the motorway, I went straight, taking me to Gants Hill and then onto the A12. The GPS on my smartphone took me the rest of the way to Brentwood. The moment I entered the Holiday Inn car park, the voice on the GPS announced, "You have reached your destination." I reversed the Golf in a parking space near the entrance of the hotel. Opening the car door, I felt the January breeze on my face. I grabbed my rucksack and headed for the main entrance of the hotel. The double glass doors slid apart as I got near the doorway, closing behind me instantly.

The lights in the lobby area were dimmed, except for the reception desk, which was overcast by spotlights. A member of staff was waiting for me to approach the desk.

"May I help you, sir?" The receptionist said in a broad African accent.

"I have a room booked for tonight under the name Porter."

He looked at me, not taking his eye off me. "The booking is for two adults. Will somebody be joining you? I hope you won't be making any noise, disturbing other customers."

"Hey, it's just me. I didn't change it to one adult when I made the booking. I've been driving for a few hours. All I need is a good night's sleep." I signed the registration form, and he handed me my key card while he explained how to get to my room.

He saw me looking at his name tag on his blazer. "Is everything ok, sir," he worriedly said.

"Everything is alright, Duke. Any chance of getting something to eat at this time? I am starving."

"I'm sorry, Mr Porter, Room Service closes at eleven."

"I'll have to wait till morning," I sadly said, rubbing my stomach.

"Can you wait one moment, Mr Porter?" Duke said. He disappeared in the back, reappearing a moment later with two plates, the contents covered with cling film. "If you like to follow me, sir." I accompanied him to the bar area, where he stopped and placed the two plates on one of the small round tables in the lobby, then vanished into the bar area. He emerged a minute later with two coke bottles and a bowl of potato chips.

Duke decided to share the night teams' dinner with me since his colleague called in sick. He apologised for being abrupt with me when he first saw me. He explained to me what youngsters do during the weekend. One or two of them book a room and invite some more friends to have a party.

It was almost two in the morning when I went to bed. At least my bellies rumbling had stopped.

Chapter 14

I overslept, waking up at ten the next day. After a quick shower, I headed for the restaurant, hoping it was still open for some breakfast. When I got there, the staff had already removed most of the items from the buffet.

The restaurant manager approached me. "The restaurant is closed, sir, but we can make an exception for one person. Do you have any preference on what you would like to have for breakfast?"

"Whatever is available," I responded.

He called one of the waitresses, "Jade, can you seat the gentleman at one of our window tables, please." Jade was not too happy with the order her manager just gave her.

The breakfast was delicious. Tony, the restaurant manager, arranged a full English breakfast. The service I received from Jade, the waitress, wasn't something to write home about. Every time I looked at her, I would receive a look of daggers in return. I couldn't help it. Her beauty inspired me.