Ready For Love Pt. 02

Story Info
Joel meets Elayna, life becomes more joyous.
11.9k words
4.72
13.1k
20

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 02/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
R410a
R410a
2,967 Followers

My apologies for part two coming so late. I somehow lost part two but didn't realize it until after I'd posted part one. I had written the story in December and had to try and remember what my train of thought was three months ago. Thus, part two has taken a week or more to rewrite. If you haven't read part one then part two will make no sense at all. Sorry, hope it was worth the wait.

Ready For Love part two

The rest of my drive home was a blur, I would pass things and not realize I'd done so until later when I'd think about it. It would be another Christmas alone, Karen's parents retired and moved to a warmer place the year before she died, my folks were both gone and my siblings lived to dang far way to even consider traveling for one day.

One of the diners in town stayed open on Christmas day for loners like me and the elderly who were alone and didn't want to cook a big meal, I would go there as I had the year before. It was the only time of year Mrs. Simmons made her apple pecan Kringle, I would have a piece there and take one to go. I was going to decorate the yard as I had in the past but something was missing, Karen, I had always done it for her. I put up lights along the soffit and the shrubs by the front door but that was it.

The hardware store had been an implement dealer from the thirties until the sixties along with selling hardware and lumber. During that time they always had farm toys during the holidays, the previously seasonal toy section became a year-round toy section in the seventies. The main difference from the large department store toy sections and ours was that all of our toys were still mostly farm implement toys, or cars and trucks made of metal and not all plastic.

Most of the toys were made by Ertl, they had been making farm and industry related toys since the 1940's. It was seldom that we didn't sell nearly every toy during the Christmas holidays, this year would be no different. A few days before Christmas I noticed a lad looking at the toys, one in particular, a pickup truck with a horse trailer behind and two plastic horses inside, I'd seen him looking at it a few times previously. He never took it off the shelf, but he was inspecting it thoroughly.

His complexion seemed a bit darker than most of the Scandinavian heritage kids in the area. It was more a deep olive color with dark black hair. I hadn't seen anyone come get him in the past so had no idea who he belonged to, that is until today. Walking toward the area I noticed a strikingly beautiful lady standing next to him, hair coal black like the boys, the same olive colored complexion, slender with gracious facial features. Her beauty took my breath away, walking closer I could hear her talking to the boy.

"Yes, I know you want it Ravi, but it's quite expensive and mommy doesn't have that kind of money this year."

The hurt in both their eyes was on display as she hugged him to her body. I felt badly, I knew what that was like, more than once I didn't get something I really wanted because my folks never had enough money. We were poor but we were never without dignity, a warm home, food on the table and clean clothes. The mom was obviously a professional of some sort, she simply had that look.

I was next to them when I took the box off the shelf and handed it to him, his eyes were the size of half dollars, if he hadn't had ears the smile would have gone all the way around his head. I knelt, took the box, opened it, and put the toy on the floor, he was on hands and knees next to me in a flash. I grabbed a tractor and began playing with him, he made truck sounds, I made tractor sounds, neither of us aware that a crowd had gathered. When I realized there was foot traffic around us I stopped and looked up, smiling down at me was Terry, my boss.

"You look like you're having fun Joel. Is this a new sales pitch?"

He and I were laughing as I stood putting the tractor back, the lady put the truck and trailer in the box and put it on the shelf thanking me for playing with her son. I watched her walk to the check-out area with the few items she had, something inside clicked, I grabbed the box and hurried to the front of the store. Just before they reached the exit door I caught them, with a smile on my face and joy in my heart I handed the toy to her son.

"My Christmas gift to your son."

She held up her hand in protest, "I can't take this sir, it's too much."

"Sure you can, it will make me feel good inside. Do you really want to take that away from me?"

Moving to the side so others could exit she shook my hand, "You're the man who has all the decorations each year aren't you?"

I nodded, "Yes, I'm Joel, how did you know that? I don't recognize you from the neighborhood."

"I'm Eleyna, Ravi and I moved into one of the townhouses at the end of the street two years ago, he loves to walk down at night and see all the lights. He especially likes the way they shine through the snow on the bushes by your front door."

I couldn't stop the tears in time, three or four rolled down my face dripping onto the floor. When she saw that she stepped back.

"I'm so sorry sir. I didn't mean to cause any harm. What did I do?"

I regained my composure, "You did nothing wrong, those lights were my late wife's favorites as well, it caught me off guard, sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable. Please let the boy keep the gift, it will mean the world to me."

"I understand your feelings, it's been three years since I lost my husband in Afghanistan. The holidays are the worst. Can I repay you by inviting you to Christmas dinner, unless you have other plans?"

I laughed, "Not unless you call going to Morty's Diner other plans. I would be honored to dine with you. I always made the pies at our house, can I bring one?"

She smiled, "Pies it is then. Be at my place around noon Christmas day, we'll make an afternoon of it."

I found myself wondering if this might be the beginning of something, she was certainly easy on the eyes and I loved her coal black hair. Her body was what I assumed is average for a person her size, from what I'd seen there was nothing extra, nor was she rail thin, I kept coming back to "average", just as my Karen had been. The next few nights I watched for them walking while I was in my woodshop but hadn't seen them until Christmas Eve, the little boy was looking at the lights through the light covering of snow we'd had earlier in the day. I walked out to where they were and announced myself well in advance so as not to frighten them. After some light conversation I asked if they would like to come in for hot chocolate.

She shuffled her boots through the snow a minute pondering until Ravi looked up, "Please mama, we never do that at home."

She gave me a half smile, "If you're sure we won't be an inconvenience that would be nice."

We spent the next half hour talking about our late spouses and acquiring general information. She was a lab tech at our local hospital and little Ravi was in kindergarten. By eight o'clock it was time for them to leave, she needed to get him in bed so Santa could come, and I had a pie to make. When I asked if she had a preference she stated how much she loved apple with a crumb crust, for me that was perfect, it had been Karen's favorite as well and I'd made it many times.

I keep pie filling in the pantry all the time, I like pie as much as I like cookies so I make pies often, I wasn't the least bit worried about what her choice might have been. I had taken some sliced Macintosh out of the freezer earlier in the day, planning to make an apple pie for myself regardless of what her preference might have been. The next morning I went a little nuts and found myself at Morty's Diner buying an entire apple pecan Kringle, Mrs. Simmons smiled and held onto my hand a moment longer than normal when she gave me change.

"What's going on Joel? You haven't bought a Kringle since Karen died, are you keeping something from me?"

"No Mrs. Simmons, nothing like that. I'm having dinner with a neighbor and wanted to impress them with one of your Kringles."

Looking at me like a grandma would she asked what I was dreading, "Did you make an apple with crumb crust, the one Karen liked so much?"

I didn't sob but the tears flowed, as I composed myself I squeaked out, "Yes, I can't help myself, I feel like I'm somehow closer to her if I make that pie for Christmas. It sounds stupid, I know, but I think it's something I'll always do, you just don't forget stuff like that."

Dabbing her own eye's she answered, "Nope, you don't Joel. Even though Morty has been gone almost seven years I still make a roast beef each Christmas, it was his favorite meal, not fancy in any way, but then, neither was he."

Driving home I was chastising myself. "don't go making a fool of yourself Joel, get this under control, you don't want to be a blubbering idiot". By the time I turned into the driveway I'd shed the tears I was going shed and was somewhat in control once more. I wondered what it would be like watching a child with all the gifts and such that only occurs during the holidays. We had wanted children and often talked about what our Christmases would be like, sadly it didn't happen, today would be an entirely new experience for me.

After accepting her invitation to Christmas dinner I decided to get something for she and Ravi. I picked out the tractor I'd been playing with and a large Poinsettia for her, along with a simple pair of earrings, nothing expensive. At eleven o'clock I put the wrapped gift in a box on my trusty old Flexible Flyer, along with the plant wrapped to keep the immediate cold out with enough room left over for the pie and Kringle. The sled had been my dad's before it was mine, it was at least sixty years old and as sturdy as the day it was made, many a hill had been conquered by that sled. Now I was hoping it might lead me to a new adventure, one involving Ravi and Eleyna.

Oddly enough I could see myself with her, with Karen's blessings from beyond. Pulling the sled behind I trudged through the few inches of snow that had fallen overnight, the sun was shining with a light breeze, it was a perfect White Christmas. As I approached I could see Ravi in the patio window jumping around, his little mouth moving continuously, I assumed he was talking to his mom. I was ready to ring the doorbell and the door opened, Ravi was excited when he saw a wrapped gift, Eleyna wondered what might be under the blanket. Handing her the pie and Kringle, then handing Ravi's present to him I lifted the plant from the sled and stepped inside.

She'd gone into the kitchen with the food and was returning to the living room as I removed the blanket from the Poinsettia, stopping her dead in her tracks. She raised her hand to cover her mouth as tears flowed from her eyes, dripping onto the carpet. Grabbing a Kleenex to dry her eyes she looked at me.

"Joel, how did you know? Chris bought me a large Poinsettia ever year at Christmas, I haven't had one since he died. This is beautiful, but how did you know?"

All I could do was smirk and pat myself on the back, "I didn't, it was a spur of the moment thing, oh and this is for you."

I handed her the small box that had been in my coat pocket, more tears and then a soft, "Thank you", you've made this the best Christmas in a few years. I'm afraid we don't have anything for you."

I bravely touched her hand as I spoke, "I didn't expect anything Eleyna, being here with you guys and having people with me today is all the present I need. Thanks for the invite. I know I'm early, I thought maybe Ravi could open his gift, oh, and you as well."

Ravi had wrapping paper flying accompanied by squeals of delight, the sounds of a tractor filled the room as she slowly opened the box I'd given her. More tears, more soft sighs as she disappeared down the hall. Returning about five minutes later she was wearing the earrings.

"Joel these are wonderful, I love pearls, these will go so well with a pearl necklace that had been my grandmothers."

The dinner was a traditional turkey and all the trimmings, I found it interesting considering she was clearly of Mideastern descent. I decided that I would enquire later. We spent the afternoon sipping sparkling grape juice and watching Ravi play. I learned that she was originally from Lebanon, her family had emigrated to the states when she was eleven. She met Chris while at college and fell in love, when she announced she was marrying someone of non-Muslim faith her father and brother disowned her telling her they never wanted to see her again. Her mother found a way to be at her meager wedding but couldn't stay, she'd met Chris the one time.

When Ravi was born her mother found a way to see him without her husband knowing, but she hadn't seen him since Eleyna moved to the Midwest two years ago. I asked if it bothered her, she stated she'd made her peace with all that had happened and moved on in life. If they wanted to see her or Ravi they knew where she was. I was ready to go just after four, she asked that I stay, she was going to lay Ravi down for a short nap and she'd like me to stay a bit longer. We sat on the couch talking once again.

"So, Joel, tell me about your girlfriend. I haven't seen her much lately."

I was perplexed, "I don't have a girlfriend, it's just me."

She chuckled, "Then who was the little honey at your house most of the summer? She certainly was a cute little thing."

"Oh, that was a summer romance kind of thing which won't happen again, she's in college and then onto med school after that. Like I said, it was a one-time fling for her, and me to I guess. I'd forgotten how much I missed the comfort of a woman. How about you? Any prospects in medicine land?"

She laughed quietly, "There are all kinds of prospects, but most of them have one thing and only one thing in mind, getting a girl into bed. That isn't for me, I'm looking for a man who's stable and willing to love Ravi as much as he loves me. If I don't find that man, I'll live without one until Ravi is out of the house. Although, I did want to have more children. How about you, there must be loads of women coming through the store looking for a man."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm in the same boat you are. Looking for a woman who'll be loyal and want to have a family. Meredith was a once in a lifetime thing, we were both needy and I guess you could say we bumped into one another."

She was laughing, "Judging by how many nights she stayed at your house I'd say you were bumping into one another a lot. How does that saying go, 'things that go bump in the night? Chris always called it "knocking boots", I never did quite grasp that analogy. He was from Texas, guess you have to be from cow country or something like that."

It was close to five when Ravi found his way into the living room, crawling om mama's lap all sleepy eyed and drowsy. I was ready to excuse myself once again when she insisted I have a sandwich before I left and to take some leftovers as they wouldn't be able to eat everything. It was just after six when I loaded my sled with half an apple pie and half a Kringle to go along with the leftovers she'd put in zip-lok bags. A hug at the door and a promise to be in touch was how I left things. I felt good about the day and about her, I'd reached the conclusion as I got to know more about them that I could love her boy as my own. After all, didn't he deserve to have a daddy.

I chuckled when I was getting ready for bed and had the thought, "marry her dummy, you wanted a family, you'd have both, a wife and a child, a ready built family". Lying in the dark I went through all the reasons in my head why it wouldn't work along with all those why it would. Why it would won easily, I made up my mind I was going to pursue her, she said she'd be in contact, I would find a way to convey my feelings when she did. The day after Christmas is always busy with returns, the store also discounted everything holiday related 50%, which meant the place would be packed with the so called "bargain hunters". More often than not they were just cranky people who still bitched about the prices. With Christmas having been on a Friday the place was packed, by Sunday night at closing it was all gone and that was the end goal.

I was in bright and early Monday to begin clean up and dismantling any holiday display shelving, it was time to begin thinking about getting the spring items exhibited and on everyone's mind. Eleyna hadn't called by Thursday so I half heartedly discounted my time with them, apparently it meant more to me than it did to her. I was working in my woodshop Friday evening, my stomach was telling me it was time to put something in it when the door opened and in walked Ravi, or should I say, in "bounded" Ravi, followed by mommy. They were both bundled and shaking off the cold after getting inside.

I mellowed as I saw her smile, "Hi, are you too busy to stop for something to eat? We're going to the fish shop over on Elm, would you like to come along?"

I knew the answer without having to consider the question, "Of course, let me get things put away and change out of my dusty clothes. Why don't you come inside with me and wait?"

Thirty minutes later we were at a hole in the wall place called the Fish Shop, it had been in the same spot since 1936 and had the best damned inexpensive fresh seafood in the entire area. Some came from the great lakes daily and other varieties were flown in every other day. We happened to hit it just right, the early crowd had gone and the late crowd hadn't yet arrived. I had the blackened grouper, she had Red Snapper and Ravi had a kid's size shrimp meal. She was to my right and as I was about to gather our mess and deposit it in the trash she put her hand on mine.

"I need to apologize for not contacting you sooner, I told you I would, but the week was extremely busy and time got away from me. Ravi wants to know if you'll come play trucks with him ...(a long pause) ... and I would like you to stay a bit after he's in bed. We need to talk."

I sat back wondering what this was about. I wanted to be pissed but chose to do what mother had reminded me of since a toddler, "a soft answer turns away wrath".

Instead of scowling I laughed, "We haven't even had a date and already I'm getting the "Joel, we need to talk" routine. Wow, that was quick."

She giggled and slapped my arm, "Not that kind of talk you lug. Can you come over or not?"

I was feeling encouraged, "Yes, I have no plans and would love to play with Ravi before his bedtime, I'll see if I can fit you into the schedule."

More laughter, I cleared the table and helped get Ravi strapped in for the ride home. As I played on the floor with her son I couldn't help but see a constant grin on her face, she stared at me continuously unless Ravi said something to her. When it was time for him to go down he asked if I would read to him, I never knew there could be such joy in having a little body snuggled into your side while you read them the same story they'd heard fifty times. She tucked him in and asked that I wait in the living room, she was going to put on some sweats and be more comfortable. She had been gone a few minutes when I heard her call and ask me to come back to the bedroom. I know my mind shouldn't have gone there but I found myself wondering what might be next.

Pointing toward the wall she asked, "Do you think you could fix the occasional table being balanced against the wall? The back leg is broken?"

"I'm sure I can, maybe we can work on it together."

I was looking around and stopped when I looked at a picture above the headboard, it was Aleyna in a provocative glam shot. Nothing was exposed but it exuded sex in every aspect. She was watching me and stepped to the bed running her hand over the bottom edge of the picture frame.

R410a
R410a
2,967 Followers