Recipe for Disaster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She made herself watch the next three episodes before she tried to send Hank a text, preceding her wanting to call him, to apologize. She was stunned to realize that her number was still blocked. She had to use Marelys' phone instead.

She texted to Hank, "You were right. They made you look foolish. I'll be forever sorry that I didn't protect someone I loved so dearly - you. Please forgive me."

Ten minutes later it was her phone that pinged, "Apology accepted. Hope you are well. Safe journeys."

She told Marelys, "Hug him for me, Mama. Tell him that I love him and that I'm sorry."

"I will."

_____________

Chapter 6

During Eva's most recent visit with Cat, near Christmas, she brought with her, Todd, her fiancé, so that her mother could meet him. Cat immediately liked him.

Eva and Todd planned to marry in early June, nearly six months away. That date was not conducive to Cat helping Eva plan the wedding. Of course, most dates wouldn't be. Eva did invite her to help, but they both knew that would be impossible. Cat did the honorable thing and thanked her for the offer but suggested that she couldn't be of much help. She promised to be in Asheville early on the week of the wedding.

As the wedding approached, Cat was in South America recording several food shows and travel shows, much like the Anthony Bourdain series, but for Spanish-speaking audiences. Unfortunately, rather than great places in great cities, she was being sent into much smaller towns to try to 'discover' new places to 'put on the map.' It was much harder travel.

She did have one good experience when she was sent to Mendoza, Argentina to do a show in a winery restaurant. She stayed at a nearby luxury ranch and met the owner, Matias, who was at least a decade older than her, but was very handsome and oozed the magnetism of a wealthy rancher that had seen and done it all. They spent their first few evenings together telling each other stories about their work and travels. Whenever she wasn't filming, she was spending time with him and found the first real connection with someone since leaving Hank, including some decent, almost meaningful, sex for a change.

When it was time for her to move on to her next stop, Santiago, Chile, Matias flew her in his private plane through the Uspallata Pass and over the Andes on the way to Santiago. The views were breathtaking. He invited her to come back and stay...forever. Needing to feel some connection to someone in her life, she seriously considered it.

Two weeks before the wedding, she was in Columbia in the middle of the jungle near the Amazon. Contact had been made with an indigenous tribe that was supposed to cap her season. She was expected to film the way they prepare several meals using not much more than mud stoves and homemade knives and utensils. Instead of being a travel and cooking show, this one felt more like it belonged on National Geographic. She was joking with their guide about a leopard jumping out of the jungle until she saw that he and several others were armed -- just in case.

The first two days of filming went well, but then the slow steady rain turned into a relentless torrent. The local guide that had been taking her filming crew from the small village where they stayed to the tribe locations didn't show up. Each day the rains continued but no filming was completed. She was supposed to leave the Saturday before the wedding, but they begged her to stay an extra day or two to complete the filming. Reluctantly, she agreed.

The old, remote hotel didn't have an internet connection, but there was a small internet café that had slow internet service. Of course, there was no cell service on the edge of the Amazon. She used the café to update her email and get messages out. While there, she saw on the news that the rains were beginning to wash out some of the roads. She realized that if that happened to her, she'd never make it to the wedding.

Even though it was late in the afternoon, she immediately found their driver and demanded that he take her back to Bogota. She was getting the Hell out of there, no matter what. When their Columbian host tried to protest, she told him to sue her. Soon, everyone in the film crew was joining her in leaving.

The eleven-hour ride through the monsoon, the mud, and the almost impassable routes to Bogota was the longest of her life. It was a harrowing ride, like something out of a disaster movie, and only pure exhaustion allowed her to sleep maybe an hour between that small village and arriving at their hotel in Bogota early the next morning.

"Never again," she told herself. "I was much happier with my Pittsburgh audience." Then she remembered, again, for the hundredth time that there was no going back there.

She showered, slept a couple of hours, and left the hotel to tackle the Bogota airport, where her situation worsened because the entire airport was on strike. She was supposed to arrive in Asheville that afternoon, but now she didn't know when she would leave Bogota, much less arrive there.

Everyone she called from the airlines to her manager at NBCUniversal, who couldn't believe she left a live shoot, seemed either unwilling or unable to help. Worried about what being late would do to her relationship with Eva, she texted the one person she had always been able to count on.

"Please! I need your help! It's urgent!"

Hank was surprised when the text came through. He knew that Cat was supposed to be arriving today. The girls had prepared many things for her that everyone hoped she would like.

"Hey, Cat. What's going on?"

"Oh, thank you for calling me. I know you probably don't want to lift a finger for me..."

He interrupted, "Just get to it, Cat. What do you need?"

Feeling slightly rebuffed by his tone, she pressed ahead, "I need help getting out of Bogota. Can your travel person put me in touch with whoever arranges your company's private jet charters? It will need to be an airport besides the main one. There is a general strike going on here and no flights are leaving."

"Sure. Give me a few minutes."

She dreaded the likely answer. Medellin and Cali were eight and nine hours away by car on a dry day. She desperately needed something to go right for her. She was cursing herself for accepting this last assignment and cursing her producer at NBCUniversal for putting her into the middle of nowhere, knowing that her daughter was getting married. It reminded her that she was just an asset to them, not a person.

After a few more minutes of thought, she was cursing her for accepting the assignment so close to the wedding. Why would she expect her employers to protect her time if she had been unwilling to do so? It was an eye-opening moment regarding her own priorities. She wouldn't make a mistake like that again.

Fifteen minutes later, her phone rang. It was Hank.

"Take a cab to the Guaymaral Airport, just north of town. A plane will be there in a couple of hours to take you to Miami. If you would like, I can arrange another plane from Miami to Asheville, or you can find a ticket on your own. Oh, that airport is tiny, so don't freak out when they drop you off. The jet charter service will begin calling your cell in another hour to locate you there and take you to the lounge to wait for your plane."

"Thank you, Hank. I'll pay you back as soon as I get to Asheville."

"I know. No rush. Be safe and have a good flight. Everyone is looking forward to seeing you."

"Me too."

Other than exchanging those few texts a couple of years ago, she hadn't spoken to Hank in four years. The love of her life and not one word for four years, and at the drop of a hat, he helps her out.

She was not going to relive her poor choices during this upcoming week, but on those lonely nights over the last few years, she was mentally kicking herself. To get EVERYTHING she ever wanted, all she did was give up EVERYONE she ever loved...or that loved her.

It was a poor trade.

How had she managed to lose sight of those that were important to her? When did that happen? Why was she not defending them to the death instead of gazing into the mirror?

_________

Once airborne, the flight to her home in Miami was easy, and given where she had been twenty-four hours previously, she was extremely grateful.

She caught the first direct flight the next morning to Asheville, which had her arriving just before lunch. She loved Asheville and had missed it, but like her husband, now ex-husband, she had abandoned it, too, four years ago.

When she sent Eva her new flight information, Eva had texted back that she would meet her at baggage claim.

At the Asheville airport, after clearing the secure area, when Cat turned the corner to walk towards the baggage carousel, she heard, "Aunt Cat! Aunt Cat!"

Turning around she saw two young teens walking toward her with their arms open for a hug. Marelys was right behind them, grinning.

Cat was stunned to see their approach. Marelys had told Cat that she had grown very close to the girls. Apparently, they were not holding any grudges against her.

After she received hugs from all three of them, Amber said, "Nana has been teaching us Spanish."

Bella added, "We've been watching your travel shows to help."

Marelys was acting like a proud grandmother after they finished. She said, "These two are probably your biggest fans...after me, of course."

"Thanks, Mama, and thanks to both of you, young ladies" She didn't know Amber from Bella. She asked, "Where's Eva?"

"Getting your bags. Let's go."

There were happy tears shared by all when Eva hugged her mother again.

"I've missed you, Mom."

"Me too, Sweetie. I've missed you, too."

Once they had Cat's bags in the SUV, there was much catching up to do. During a brief lull in the conversation, Bella asked, "Aunt Cat, are you going to come with us to Spain next summer?"

"You're going to Spain?"

"MmmHmm. Daddy and Nana said that after I turn thirteen, we could go. Nana is going to give us a tour. Aunt Morgan and Uncle Bill are coming, too, so can you come?"

It stunned her for just a moment to hear Bella call Hank, "Daddy." She was aware of his marrying Julia and adopting the girls, but it was still a shocker for her to hear that word coming from the mouth of a child that wasn't hers.

She said, "Oh, I wish I could, Sweetie, but your mom or dad would have to invite me first. My being there might make them uncomfortable."

Marelys and Eva scoffed at the same time.

Eva said, "Todd and I would like to go, but we'll have to see what we can work out."

They drove to Malta for lunch. Cat asked, "Isn't this where Julia works?"

Marelys replied, "Yep. She's still here."

The girls just grinned.

Once inside they were seated at a big, round table, where Morgan was waiting. A few minutes later Julia and a stylishly dressed older woman approached the table.

Julia said, "Hi, Cat. It's so good to see you again."

"Uh...thanks, Julia. I'm just glad it's under better circumstances than the last time."

Julia simply smiled in reply.

Cat asked, "Are you working today?"

"Oh, I'm working, but I don't work in the kitchen anymore. Mrs. Rousseau and her husband now own four restaurants, and I'm their buyer for all of them. I made the change a little over two years ago. It means I get to spend more time with my family since my hours are better. I still cook from time to time to help out, but that isn't very often. Mrs. Rousseau wanted to ask you something."

Renee Rousseau said, "Hi, Cat. It's a pleasure to meet you. This fall will be the 5th year that one of our restaurants hosts a benefit for the local food bank that Morgan runs. It would mean a lot to those sitting at this table and everyone at our company if you would be our celebrity chef for the evening. As I think you know, it's for a good cause, and you would help us raise a lot of money for charity."

"You want me? I'm barely known in Spain, much less here in Asheville. I appreciate the offer, but are you sure I would be a good fit?"

"We're sure. I've seen many of your shows where you were a guest chef at those Michelin-starred restaurants, and, of course, your previous success on PBS. We'd love to have you. We do it in October now, when the fall crowds are here in town. You don't have to give me an answer today, but I hope you'll consider it."

Cat was stunned. "Sure. I'll let you know soon. Thank you."

"Actually, thank you."

Julia sat and joined them at the table.

Eva asked, "Mama, how long are you staying in Asheville?"

"About a week, I think."

Marelys said, "I was hoping you could stay a little longer."

"While I'm overwhelmed with my greeting so far, I don't want to overstay my welcome."

Julia replied, "Nonsense. Stay as long as you like."

That comment surprised Cat and made her feel very welcomed...almost like she was coming home.

They had a great lunch, after which Julia returned to her office, and Morgan drove back to the foodbank.

Back in the SUV, Eva said, "I want you to see my new office."

They drove several minutes away from downtown to an older neighborhood that had a large Victorian home on a sizeable lot with a large shed in the back.

When they walked in, Scott and Tina greeted her with a baby on Tina's hip.

Cat's mouth dropped open at seeing the little boy. She said, "Oh, Tina, Scott. I didn't know you had a baby. I'm so happy for the two of you."

Tina said, "Thanks, Cat. Once our business picked up, I could cut back and spend more time being a mom. I'm loving it. Nana comes over and helps look after Samuel from time to time so I can work a little more, but it's been really good."

"Samuel. Did Mama tell you that was my father's name?"

Scott replied, "We know. Your mom has been such a tremendous help to all of us, that Tina and I decided to name him Samuel, for her. If it had been a girl, it would have been named Marelys."

"Oh!... I'm not certain how to respond to that. Other than thank you. I'm sure Papa would have been touched, as I'm sure Mama is."

Marelys put her arm around Cat. "I'm very pleased. More than I can express. It's like getting another grandbaby. Sam makes number five."

When Marelys picked up Sam, he squealed with delight. He loved whenever his Nana came to visit.

Eva, Tina, and Scott showed Cat around. The large shed in the back was Scott's studio and was set up to film small scenes that they used in special advertisements. Most of his work was shot on location or in a professional studio in town.

The business office was in the front room of the Victorian home. Eva usually worked from there. Scott was slowly restoring the old home. He wasn't in any hurry and guessed that he had several more years of work to complete it - perhaps sooner if Hank continued to help out.

Scott said, "Cat, it was your daughter that kicked the business into high gear. We basically worked for Hank the first several months until the 'Got Gravy' cookbook started selling. Eva had the great idea of sending several books to a certain redneck comedian that lives near Atlanta and asked if he could mention the book before a show or two since it was for charity.

"He liked the cookbook so much, or well, he liked the picture and the title so much that he mentioned it before each show that season. All of a sudden, people wanted to know more about the author, Julia, the food bank, and the company that put the cookbook together. Julia's Mediterranean cookbook did well also, and things have been steady after that. Not gangbusters, but good. Tina and I are happy."

Cat gave them a sad smile because she was missing all of this. These were her friends, whom she had treated badly, but she was very happy for them.

"Scott, Tina, I just want to say how sorry I am for the way..."

Scott put up his hand, "Nope. Don't want to hear it. Don't worry about it, Cat. Maybe how we arrived here was a little rocky for a while, but we love it here. Working with Eva. Seeing Nana almost every day. Barbeques on the weekend with family. And of course, Samuel. I'm sorry that you went through what you did, but I wouldn't change anything about our lives right now," then he smiled and said, "except to maybe give Samuel a little sister."

Tina asked, "Would you like to hold him?"

A teary-eyed Cat nodded her head up and down. When Tina handed the little toddler to Cat, he just smiled and jabbered. Then seeing her dangly earrings, he tried to reach for them which made everyone laugh.

They spent a good portion of the afternoon on the back deck catching up and telling the girls stories from some of their crazier filming episodes from several years ago. Marelys was enjoying the scene. Her daughter was there, with them...all of them. It was the happiest she had been in years.

Then it was time to go to Hank and Julia's home; what had been Cat and Hank's vacation house. Scott and his family would be joining them for dinner.

The closer and closer they got to the house, the quieter and more nervous Cat became. It would be the first time that she had laid eyes on Hank since THAT Labor Day weekend almost four years ago.

She wondered, "What will he say? How will he act? Will I be welcomed?"

Cat saw a little red Mini Cooper S convertible parked on the driveway, Eva said, "That's Nana's car."

"Mama! You drive that?"

"I wanted something small and sporty. Driving in Barcelona would have gotten me killed, but around here, I enjoy it. Some mornings I'll get up and drive up or down the Blue Ridge Parkway for an hour or two. It's beautiful, and that's how Eva met Todd. We were out driving one weekend morning and found his family's apple and peach orchard. We stopped for some pastries and coffee, and Eva practically tackled him on the spot."

"I did not! It was more like the other way around."

Marelys just smiled. The girls giggled. They liked Todd, too.

Cat was slow getting out of the vehicle, and as everyone made their way inside, she was almost reluctant to go in. Marelys whispered to her, "It's going to be okay, Catalina. You'll see."

Through the open door, she could smell something cooking, something with saffron. Whatever it was smelled wonderful. She could see Hank hugging everyone as they entered. He still looked good. It didn't look like he had changed at all.

After watching him hug Marelys, there was nobody between her and him. Cat wanted to run the other way. She could see that everyone else had stopped and turned to watch.

Hank opened his arms for her to come inside for a hug and Cat nearly fell into him. She went from zero to sobbing in under half a second. He simply held her and let her go. After nearly twenty seconds he could hear her mumbling something into his shirt.

"Mmm mo mahee"

He asked, "What?"

A few seconds later she tried again. "I'm so sorry. I've missed you so much. Oh Gawd, how I have missed you. I was so stupid. Unbelievably and unforgivably stupid. I'll be paying for that stupidity the rest of my life, but please forgive me. Please forgive me for being such a self-centered, selfish bitch."

She wasn't certain exactly where that came from, but her loneliness of the past several years coupled with her regret over how she walked away from her family, especially given the happiness her family all seemed to share without her around to enjoy it, had finally bubbled to the surface.

"Shhhhh. It's okay, Cat. Everything is okay. You're forgiven. I already told you that."

"I know, but I needed to... I don't know... I needed to see you say it. I need to know that you mean it. I need to believe it."

He squeezed her again. "I mean it. From my heart to yours, all is forgiven. You could not be more loved or welcome than you are right now."

That set off the waterworks and the deep heaving sobs, again. This time, she felt more arms wrapping around her. First Marelys, then Eva, then the girls tried to squeeze in.