Recipe for Disaster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hank said, "I told you we were looking forward to seeing you."

"No. You said, 'Everyone is looking forward to seeing you.' I was afraid you meant everyone but you."

"I was including myself in that group, too. Come on let's get you freshened up. I just put dinner in the oven."

Eva accompanied Cat to the bathroom and Hank returned to the kitchen with Marelys. The girls went to their rooms to change.

In the kitchen, Hank said, "I know you, Mom. You're about to burst from happiness right now."

"You're right. I'll be even happier when Eric and everyone else arrive later. The only way my life could be any better than that is if Samuel were still alive and here with us."

They were joined by everyone else a few minutes later. When Cat joined them, she asked, "Hank, when did you learn to cook?"

"I do a little from time to time. I watched you for decades, and then Julia taught me a few things."

"Why didn't you ever cook for me?"

He replied, "Well, I'm cooking something special for you right now, but back in the day, your viewers wanted to watch you, not me."

With a sad smile, she said, "We should have cooked more together."

He just nodded.

In Spanish, Bella asked, "Aunt Cat, will you watch your Buenos Aires episode with us?"

Marelys said, "That's their favorite episode because of the tango scene. They've been dying for you to come here so you can watch it with them."

Cat laughed, "You know you can't film anything from there without including at least one tango scene. That was a lot of fun." She let them lead her to the family room.

Over the next hour or two, the rest of the gang began trickling in. Morgan, Bill, and Todd, who made Cat happy just by watching him, and Eva together. Then Scott, Tina, Sam, and Eric arrived. When Eric entered the house, Cat went through another crying fit. Even though she had seen him six months earlier, he looked different, bigger, stronger, more like an adult than just a young man. Her baby was growing up, and she was missing it.

When Julia arrived, she helped Hank finish preparing dinner.

They served up two large batches of Paella, seafood and non-seafood, along with a salad and other sides. Paella was one of Cat's favorite dishes.

When they were all squeezed into the dining table, Hank stood and tapped the side of his wine glass to offer a toast. He said, "I'm so extremely pleased that my entire family is here with us tonight. Cat, we're especially glad you were able to make it. Now we are complete. To family."

Everyone echoed him, "To family."

Cat had something she needed to say and stood. She offered, "I want to thank all of you for today. Now I know what the prodigal son must have felt. Thank you all for welcoming me back and being so kind to someone who lost their way for far too long. This is the best day that I've had in many, many years. I love you all."

Everyone enjoyed their dinner, and Cat was pulled into various conversations all night long.

After Hank and Julia cleaned up, she poured two glasses of a nice Oloroso Sherry for him. As Hank walked outside, he drew Cat's attention and held up the extra glass. She nodded, and a few minutes later she joined him on the patio.

She thanked him for the sherry and took a sip. She said, "Thank you for helping me get out of Columbia. The weather and the strike caught me by surprise. I just knew I would be excommunicated from our family if I didn't get here until late in the week, or heaven forbid, miss the wedding completely because the roads to and from the jungle were washed out. It was nearly a disaster."

"I'm glad you made it out. We've all been looking forward to seeing you."

"I see that, and it means everything to me. I missed all of you when I was away but being here today has highlighted for me how much I missed being a part of your lives. About the only friends I have in my life right now are the friendly faces on the production crews that change from week to week. That is to say, I have nobody."

Hank offered, "I'm sorry to hear that because I know you love the work."

"I did. I'm not so sure anymore. This last series of episodes has been taking me to the small towns and jungles, literally, of Latin America and has me seriously questioning what I'm doing. I'm told that the episodes have rated well, but I'm not enjoying it."

"Mom and the girls have been watching all of your episodes. We bought a satellite dish so we could receive and record them."

She smiled, "I'm still stunned by that. Given what I did, I'm almost surprised by Mama, but I'm blown away that Julia lets the girls watch."

"You are loved. Don't forget that. It's that simple."

She paused for a few moments gathering the strength to dive headfirst into the unknown; not certain if she should bring up what she needed to say.

"Hank, I know it's all water under the bridge now, and you probably won't believe me, but I swear on everything in my life that means anything, I did not sleep with Lorenzo before you had the divorce papers delivered to me. I know it's well in the past, but you deserve to know that."

It was Hank's turn to pause and think. He replied, "I don't really want to drag up the past, either, but I do believe you. However, Cat, also, I know you, or used to. That situation was probably very electric for you. He was a good-looking guy, and the two of you were probably teasing each other a lot. You already were during the previous weeks of filming. Can you honestly sit there and tell me that had you not been served, you absolutely would not have screwed him or done something else bad before you left his yacht?"

"Honestly? I don't know. I'm not so naive as to say 'absolutely.' But I will tell you this. I didn't desire him. I desired you, not him. And you know what I'm talking about, because when you are committed to someone, you, Hank, have no desire for any other female. That was me at the time. I was wrong. It looked bad, very bad, and was incredibly stupid. I wasn't completely innocent, because I was trying to get the deal done, by being sexy, without the sex. But honest to God, I wasn't planning to sleep with him."

He said, "That's where I wonder if your priorities shifted before you met Sheila and Felicia, or after because the Cat I knew a decade ago, wouldn't have put herself in that situation. You would have recognized how bad that looked, instead of allowing yourself to be blinded by the business opportunity. Can you imagine the fight we would have had if I went with you to Barcelona and you were hanging around and flirting with the soccer team instead of me at the club? Or even worse, tried to tell me not to go with you to the club?"

She sighed, "I know, and you're right. One hundred percent. For some reason I didn't just want my own show, I NEEDED to get to the top, and I was willing to do damn near anything to achieve it. Even though I wasn't thinking it at the time, all I had to do was sacrifice my family and any sort of decent personal life to accomplish that. Now? I have plenty of money, some fame, some infamy, and nobody I want to share my life with. If I could go back in time six or seven years to our being in Pittsburgh, and never achieve any more than what I had then, I would do it tomorrow."

He asked, "So, all that glitters wasn't gold?"

"You know the answer to that. A couple of years ago, I was mortified when I rewatched those episodes that embarrassed you. I'm soooo sorry for that. Truly. Then when I tried to text you to set up an apology call and my number was still blocked, it was like I was completely cut off from you...and I was the one that put myself in that situation. Had Mama not been with me and let me use her phone to text you, I don't know how I would have survived the week; probably by blowing up Eva or Eric's phone, or flying here."

"I appreciated that apology. It was important to me that we could both see what had happened there. By then I was married to Julia, so my life was improving, but that you would apologize meant a great deal to me. Thank you. I've missed you, too."

She asked, "Did you know the girls invited me to go to Spain with all of you?"

"Of course, all of us hope you'll go. If you can't or aren't interested, I understand. We were planning on renting your apartment in Barcelona through AirBnB." He chuckled then followed up with, "We've been renting your home, our old home, in Pittsburgh whenever we visit there. How many homes do you own now?"

She scoffed, "Four. There is my current place in Miami, where I rarely sleep and have zero emotional attachment to. Then there are the other three, which I couldn't let go of. I've not been able to bring myself to sell our old home in Pittsburgh, even though I haven't been there in years. I liked the apartment in Barcelona that I redid with Scott and Tina so much that I wanted to keep it for me as a long-term vacation home or investment. Then I bought Mama's apartment, including most of her furnishings, when she sold it through a third party. I was in such a funk when she decided to sell that I couldn't lose that piece of my family. I had already lost you and what made our old house a home. I've been hanging on to her old apartment, too. I've lost the people in my life that mean anything to me, so I held onto the properties that held so many memories."

"That's interesting. I'm not sure Mom knows about your keeping her house."

"I never told her. When I'm in Barcelona, I usually stay there so the nicer apartment can be rented out."

Cat asked, "How long will you vacation with the girls in Spain?"

"A month, maybe more," was his reply.

"Really? When we were there filming, you worked a little, but if you are all over the country, will you be able to stay connected to work?"

He looked at her and smiled, "I'm retiring. Nobody but Julia knows this yet, but our company is being bought. All of my stock options are about to be cashed in at a premium, so I'll be okay financially, not rich, but comfortable. Robert's ecstatic. He IS going to be rich, or even richer. He's coming to the wedding, by the way. As for Spain, I could stay all summer, but Julia needs to get back. When we get back from that trip, I think I'm going to help Scott finish their house and help Morgan run the foodbank. I may even take over managing it when she's ready to stop in a few years. Julia's planning on using the Spain trip to line up a few new suppliers for their restaurants."

"I can probably help with that. I know dozens spread all across Spain. I'll give her a list and maybe she can visit a few during the vacation."

"I was hoping you would say that. I'm also hoping you can introduce her to some of them, in person."

Cat said, "If I come, I'll do that. God, I'm so envious of the two of you."

Just then there was a tap on the patio door and Julia brought the girls outside.

"Goodnight, Aunt Cat," they said in unison, and then hugged her. It was very sweet.

Eva was right behind them. "Mom, we need to go if we're going to meet Todd at his parent's house for breakfast."

Cat marveled at how Eva seemed to glow when Todd was around. She had been smiling since Cat met her at the airport. Cat chided, "Breakfast? You know I don't look my best in the morning."

Eva rolled her eyes. "Mom, when have you not looked gorgeous? You could roll out of bed, and you would still be the prettiest woman they've ever seen."

She replied, "That's not true. They've already seen you."

Eva snorted, "Thanks, Mom. I don't quite agree with you, but Todd does, and that's all that matters."

The girls had gone back inside, so Cat told Julia, "I just told Hank how much I envy the two of you."

She replied, "You don't have to feel that way. Your entire family is here. You could be, too. You'd be welcomed with open arms. When I told the owner about you, I didn't even have to suggest you be a guest chef. She was already asking me to ask you. You may not be a household name here like you were in parts of Spain, but I'll bet you could have some nice success around here and still spend time with your family."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Me? Why would I mind? I'm sure I could learn a lot from you. My daughters think you are amazing and can't wait to hang out with you some this week. You know the rest of your family, even this goober that I'm married to, loves you. If you stay away from here, it isn't because you aren't wanted or loved."

Eva hugged her mother. "See Mom, the only person keeping you away...is you."

Cat knew that was true. She just needed to find a way to make it work. "We'll talk about it this week."

Cat and Eva wished everyone a good night and went to Eva's apartment, where she and Todd would live for a while after they returned from their honeymoon.

After they had gone, Julia asked Hank, "What do you think? Will she move here?"

"I have no idea. I'm not really in tune with the way she thinks anymore."

Julia snorted. "Okay, husband, humor me. Before Cat lost her mind for a few years, what would the old Cat have done?"

"Easy. She would be wherever her family was."

"Good. I'll tell, Mrs. Rousseau that she should tentatively plan on Cat being here, and I'll get Uncle Bill to start talking to some of the realtors he knows from when he delivered mail to start looking for a nice house for her."

Teasingly Hank asked, "What? She isn't going to live here, with us?"

"I'd be fine with that for a couple of months, but I don't need the competition. I'd feel better if it were during the winter when it's too cool for her to lay out by the pool. Oh, and I can guaran-damn-tee you that if she ever does spend the night here, on the first night that she's here, I'll be drugging everyone but you and her, and she will hear me lay claim to my man in the bedroom...very vocally. Am I clear?"

"Crystal. You know I only have eyes for you."

"You'd better. Don't forget that I'm an expert with knives and could turn you into a eunuch with a mere flick of my wrist."

"Well, don't ever give me a reason to go looking somewhere else."

"Come with me, Babe, and I'll remind you why that will never happen."

Julia was a passionate and giving lover. He knew that wasn't anything he needed to worry about. She demonstrated that night why Hank would always want to be with her.

____________

Eva and Cat got up very early to make it to the 7:30 am breakfast at the Partin's orchard. Ben and Marjorie Partin were gracious hosts and had a huge spread of food for such a small group of people. Plenty of homemade preserves from fruits grown on the farm were served, and Cat enjoyed those very much and appreciated their efforts.

After breakfast, Cat was given a tour of the orchard by the rest of them, and Eva pointed out the spot on the property where she and Todd planned to build a house, soon.

Eva said, "Daddy's going to help us with a down payment to get started. Todd and I hope to make you a grandmother very, very soon, so you need to think about how you are going to be here for that. I'm going to want my Mom nearby."

Cat heard her loud and clear.

_____________

While the rest of the week couldn't quite match her first day in Asheville, Cat had an incredible week. She spent a lot of time with Eva, who seemed comfortable and content in her own skin, given the life change that was about to happen. Cat was soaring on the inside just to watch the confident woman that Eva had become.

Marelys was usually nearby also, though she occasionally needed to visit Scott and Tina to help out with Samuel. Cat saw Eric every night over at Hank and Julia's house, where she was always welcomed.

For Cat, she was trying to wrap her mind around a move to Asheville, a place she had always liked, not quite certain how to accomplish that other than diving right in.

On Friday, the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner were nice and simple. The dinner was at one of Julia's restaurants. One of Eva's girlfriends from college came in to be a bridesmaid, along with Amber and Bella. Tina was her maid of honor.

On Saturday, before the wedding in the bride's room, waiting for the ceremony to start, all of the bridesmaids were there along with Marelys, Julia, and Cat. Mother and daughter were both glowing as the time approached. A nervous Eva wasn't saying a lot, but there were plenty of heartfelt looks between her and the other ladies in the room.

Morgan and Bill were seated next to Marelys as honorary grandparents. Julia and Cat were seated next to each other as Hank walked Eva down the aisle. Cat wanted to cheer when Hank answered the familiar question with, "Her mother and I."

She was thinking, "That's right! She's ours! We did it! He and I raised that wonderful woman."

To that point in her life, it was the greatest success she had known. That was probably when the last few years really sunk in for her.

For some reason, she had begun measuring success using the wrong measuring stick. Having watched Eva for the last week, she at least felt that she had done something meaningful in her life.

She was envious of Hank getting a second chance to do it again with Amber and Bella. Then she thought how lucky she was that they wanted to spend so much time during the past week with her. It made her...grateful.

Hank was busy at the reception, having many women he needed and wanted to dance with. As Hank mentioned, Robert and his wife were there, and Robert took the time to dance with Cat, which allowed them to catch up with each other.

Todd's family was from the rural areas of western North Carolina, which made for an interesting mix, but they were friendly and earnest and to Todd's relief, no fiddles were brought out during the reception.

Eva's constant happiness had rubbed off on Cat, who was as happy as she had been in over a decade. During the entire reception she was made to feel welcome, when a week ago while worrying about how she would get out of the jungle, she was just as worried as to how she would be received that week. Now she knew. She knew what she wanted to do. She just needed to make it happen.

Eva pulled Cat with her to help her change into her going-away dress before she and Todd made their mad dash to the awaiting limo and their hotel before flying to St. Maarten the next day for their honeymoon.

Cat helped her change and would take care of her wedding dress later. As they left the room, Eva told her mother, "I love you, Mom. Thank you for this week. It couldn't have been any better."

Cat struggled to contain her emotions. "For me too, Sweetie. I've been excited for today, but I've not wanted this week to end."

"Move here, Mom. Then it won't end."

Outside, the guests had assembled to shower, nay pelt, the bride and groom with birdseed. Cat accompanied Eva to meet up with her new husband, Todd.

Just before they dashed to the limo, Eva leaned into Cat to tell her one more thing. "Mom, you need to move here soon. I'm pregnant!"

Cat looked at Todd, who knew Eva was going to do that, and he just smiled at Cat and nodded. Then they ran through the showers of birdseed and into the awaiting car which whisked them away.

Hank and Julia, who also knew about Eva's secret, joined Cat.

Hank hugged the still stunned Cat and said, "Surprise! We're going to be grandparents."

"You knew?"

"So far, Eva's only told Julia, you, and me. Todd will tell his parents when they get back."

"I...I don't... I don't know what to say. I'm thrilled. She's been practically floating all week. Now I know why."

"She just found out the week before you arrived."

Cat laughed, "I guess I need to buy another house."

They all chuckled at that.

When Julia looked at him and smiled, Hank thought, "Things are going to be okay."

____________

Epilogue

Cat did move to Asheville. As much as she appreciated the offer to stay with them while she looked for a house, she wasn't about to do that. She rented a place for the six weeks it took her to find something she wanted. She purchased a house a neighborhood away from Hank's, though she was often over at his house since that was where most family gatherings occurred.