Red Squad Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion of the story; ending twists.
9.4k words
4.74
6.4k
7

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/20/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 18 - Party and Planning (continued)

I settled in, ready to learn some history from TCPD Captain (Ret.) Leslie Charles.

"People like to tell it that the Merger between the Town & County was a merger of equals." said Captain Charles. "It was not. The County Police at the time were almost nothing. They weren't going to bother the rich kids in the northern suburbs, nor on the University campus. And the rest of the unincorporated County was farm fields or the mountain finger. The speed limits of the roads not within the Town City Limits were pretty much full bore 55 mph, so there just weren't a lot of tickets to give out. The County Police mostly kept blacks from in Town coming into the County areas to have sex or use and sell drugs."

Captain Charles: "The County never wanted to merge with the Town, but were finally convinced to when it became apparent that blacks would win a majority on the Town Council. At the time, Harold Malone and Antonio Griswold were both Captains, and it was not clear who was going to win the battle for control of the Police Force. Griswold was installed in the Chief's chair, but Malone had all the sway as Captain of Detectives."

Captain Charles: "And when the Town and County finally merged, not much changed. Griswold was named Police Chief. He had an ally in the Sheriff, but that Sheriff was assassinated. It was made to look like a heart attack, but the Consultant of Crime was behind his murder."

Captain Charles: "But Griswold had a problem: Malone was literally using corrupt elements of the Police Force to enforce his policy of one drug gang paying him off and him eradicating any competition. Malone also exercised discrimination against blacks in things big and small. Griswold is a decent man that did not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, or orientation, but with Malone's squads out there, he couldn't do much."

Captain Charles: "So... and this was before you came along... Griswold, Smedley, and myself began working to try to clean up the mess. It was hard going: we thought we were just battling Malone; we had no idea we had the Consultant putting his weight behind Malone. Anyway, when we saw that Malone had Officers clustering, we tried to split them apart, but he had ways around that. So what we did was identify good Officers and bring in other good Officers, and they were the basis of what became 'Red Squads'."

"Ohhhhhh." I said, a dawn of understanding lighting my eyes. "The Red Squads were the good guys!"

"Yes." said Charles. "Now in those days, we had the Orange Order and even the Blood Order... but Malone's people were in the Orange Order, too, so the Blood Order wasn't what it became later. Therefore, Griswold and I used the so-called 'Red Squads' to fight back against Malone's corrupt units. While Malone's guys were clearing out drug pushers that hadn't paid him protection money, we were going after the gangs that were supposed to be left alone, hoping to create distrust of Malone in the gangs. They also did what they could to stop the more overt racial discrimination, forcing Malone's squads to be a lot more careful when they did go on the offensive against blacks."

Captain Charles: "But something or someone, which we now know was the Consultant of Crime, was ahead of us, and warned the gangs of our Red Squads's actions. The perps would either not be where we thought they'd be, or they'd be setting up ambushes for us, which ended up getting Smedley and Croyle a lot of Purple Orders."

Captain Charles: "And then you came along, Commander. And you did not need a 'Red Squad'; you were a walking one-man Red Squad with a Crowbar unto yourself, and you annihilated all of the corruption. Smedley was already gone, and just between us, he was mentally gone, as well. I retired and Griswold retired, then you made Griswold run for Sheriff. And with you having cleaned up the filth of the Augean Stables, there was really no more need for a 'Red Squad', so we quietly let them fade into the background."

Captain Charles: "Griswold also started working the Blood Order into a new version of the 'Red Squad', knowing that the membership was the best of the best that the Police Force had. So the Red Squads were essentially no more. So whatever is going on now, is outside the scope of what we did in the past." I nodded.

"What is Efram Elliot's role in all this? I asked.

"He was Internal Affairs back in those days." said Charles. "He kept himself safe the way McGinty did, and like J. Edgar Hoover did... amassing a good bit of dirt on Malone and other corrupt officials in this County. Elliot was a decent guy, still is as far as I know, but he also knew where his bread was buttered. And while he's never said a word about it, Griswold and I now believe he knew of the Consultant's existence, though maybe not who he was, and Elliot treaded carefully among those quicksands and land mines."

I nodded. "So any idea on what's going on now?" I asked.

"No." said Captain Charles. "Except for Griswold, I have no more real contacts inside the TCPD. You've replaced all my old geezers with 'young whippersnappers', as Grizz calls them." I chuckled, and Charles said "That's okay, though; I'm too old to fight these wars anymore, and I'm enjoying retirement. This upcoming fight is all yours... and I think you've positioned yourself and the Police Fore to win it."

"Thanks." I said. "And thanks for all this information." I stood up (he was not going to, out of respect as I outranked him), he stood up, we shook hands, and joined the rest of the group inside.

I also knew that Captain Charles had told me all this because the Sheriff couldn't; Griswold needed 'plausible deniability' on this...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Good party." Paulina said as she and I came out onto the back deck after everyone had left. Molly was getting some tired kids ready for bed, and Laura was getting herself ready for bed. I was taking the dogs out, and had invited Paulina to join me on the deck.

"So," I said as we sat together on the metal mesh loveseat, enjoying the warmth of the fire and each other's warm bodies, "how are things in the D.A.'s Office?"

"Same as ever; nothing's changed." Paulina replied. "I think Chief Moynahan adding his weight to her battles with you has been good for the Police Department, and for me. She must've really pissed him off in some way; it's obviously more than just him taking up for you and the Detectives."

"That could well be." I said. "What I wanted to ask you about, was your plans for the future."

"They're just kind of open right now." Paulina said. "My brother T-Square said he'll have my back if I want to go into private practice. I could get any number of jobs in any number of legal firms, and Laura could pull some strings and get me a teaching position in the University Law School, though not a tenured professorship. But you know I'm not really interested in that. I like being a Prosecutor, and part of the 'Law & Order' team putting perps like Peter Blassingame in prison."

I nodded. "And you're damn good at it." I said. "But there's another idea that I want to run by you, just to think about. Have you considered running for a spot on the Judicial Bench? Becoming a judge?"

Paulina said "A little bit. Franklin (Washington) is thinking about it, too, and he is very strongly considering running directly against Harry Nance."

I said "And we're getting our fourth judicial position back, and Magistrate Court is about to come open to an election next year. So it's something for you to think about, if you've ever even considered it. I suspect we'll see a raft of announcements for candidacies for many local, State, and even Federal positions after next Tuesday's Election, with one year to go until the next big one."

Paulina said "I'll give it some thought. If Savannah Fineman beats out Ted Mason for the Solicitor job, Mason won't be an ADA nor a DDA; he will be gone. And if Franklin does run for a Bench position and wins, then Walters will really need me to stay on. And I'll be fine with that, if she leaves me alone to work with you and the Detectives."

"I agree that it comes down to the Mason-Fineman race." I agreed.

"Think Fineman will win?" Paulina said. "Going to endorse her?"

"I'm not going to endorse her, I can tell you that." I said with alacrity. "Can she win? I dunno... I really have no idea..."

Part 19 - Elections Matter

Please to remember...

"Remember, remember, the Fifth of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot;
I know of no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,'twas his intent.
To blow up King and Parli'ment.
Three score barrels of powder below.
To prove old England's overthrow.

By God's Providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!"

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, November 5th. "It's the most important Election Day in years!"

Bettina began: "Many newly created seats are up for grabs, including for the new School Board, Public Works Board, and Public Utilities Board. But none are more important than the Inspector General post, and Commissioner Finneran, who has been endorsed by KXTC, has a solid lead over incumbent I.G. Horace S. Wellman!"

Bettina: "And in other news, the Town & County Council met yesterday in 'emergency' session to ratify the Town & County Assembly's Budget for next year. The Budget included full funding for the Police Force, which many in the Minority communities strongly opposed. By calling it an 'emergency' session, the Council skirted around laws requiring a pre-announced meeting, also drawing complaints from black leaders and social justice groups, who accused the Assembly and the Council of ramming the Police funding through without the People having a chance to comment on it..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Does KXTC not remember the well-attended Assembly mee-tinnnnng?" drawled the Chief as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Chief!" I exclaimed in mock shock. "Are you suggesting the Media is going to let the facts get in the way of their agenda-based narrative?"

"Heh heh heh heh." chuckled the Chief. "Must've slipped my mind."

"Is that true about Finneran being ahead?" Cindy asked.

"Not from what I'm hearing." growled Sheriff Griswold. "It's a toss-up right now. Wellman took my advice to have poll watchers at all the polling places, and we're going to make sure there is no mischief where they're counting the votes tonight. I'm hoping we can head off any fraud that Finneran's people might try."

Teresa said "Todd's people are telling him that, too... that Finneran doesn't have the lead that the Press claims he does."

Cindy said "I know that the Press, especially KXTC, is going to be dishonest about the numbers. But how can pollsters get it wrong so much? Because they oversample Democrats?"

"That's some of it." I said. "But it's also because of the respondents. Like with Governor Jared last time: anyone who said out loud that they were for Jared ran the risk of being bullied, threatened, maybe even physically assaulted. But then the only poll that mattered came out... the one on Election Day... and the Press proclaimed themselves shocked, shocked! at the result."

"Har." grunted Griswold. "He's right, you know."

"How's the turnout?" Tanya asked. "Since Bettina didn't mention it, does that mean it's low?"

"It's fair-to-middlin'." Teresa replied. "I came in at 6:00am. We deployed a strong presence at the polling places, to keep any Black Panthers from showing up that the Iron Crowbar might be compelled to go beat up." We all laughed at that, then Teresa said "But it's not heavy, except in the northern suburbs. The County High areas are very much into this School Board thing. So I scaled back the visible presence in case the Media wanted to make something out of it."

"Speaking of school-aged children," Tanya asked in Teresa's direction, "little Doug is six now?" Tanya asked Teresa.

"Yes." said Teresa. "His birthday was yesterday. They're growing up so fast."

"And Ross is five today." I said. "He knows the Guy Fawkes poem, since it's Guy Fawkes Day and his mother is Canadian."

"What does Carole say Ross is going to be when he grows up?" Tanya asked with a cherubic grin and a gleam in her eye.

"She never has said, as far as I know." I replied. "But Molly says Ross wants to be a Police Officer. Must run in the family..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Turnout is fair, but not heavy." Teresa reported at 11:30am. "I've returned the Patrols to their regular routes. We'll 'surge' back up about an hour before the polls close, but I'm really not expecting any problems."

"Okay, then." I said. "Excellent work. So, I don't know what your lunch plans were, but I'd like for you to come to the Cop Bar with me to meet Jack Muscone. My treat, if Jack doesn't pick up the tab."

"An offer I can't refuse." Teresa said. "Sure. Thanks."

We left moments later. I was driving my Police SUV, and Teresa was looking in the mirror a lot and scanning the roads as we went along. "Got a vibe on something?" I asked, meaning it lightly.

"A little bit of one, sir." Teresa said. "When you said something about them knowing you were at lunch when the Assemblywoman came into Police Headquarters, it got me to thinking that someone might be tailing you or watching you. I'm just looking to see."

I nodded. "That's Iron Wolf thinking there." I said. "Seen any KXTC Press vans?"

"Do they still have any?" Teresa retorted. "Seriously, I've been watching for any Press vans or vehicles, but I haven't seen any."

We got to the Cop Bar without incident. Going inside, we were taken to the back 'Command' room. FBI SAC Jack Muscone and ASAC Karina White were waiting for us.

"Congratulations on your Distinguished Service Medal." Jack said to Teresa after re-introducing Karina.

"Thank you." Teresa said politely. "Have you told Don the news?"

"No," said Jack, "and that was one of the things I was going to tell him at this lunch today."

"What, did you finally set a date?" I asked humorously.

"Yes." said Muscone, and he was serious. "She finally set it. Next Spring. March 28th."

"Well! It's about damned time." I said, with big grin on my face. "Congratulations."

"It sounds like a ways off," said Jack, "but it's going to sneak up on us. So I hope my Best Man is ready to handle things."

"Oh yeah." I said. "According to this DSM recipient, here, all I do is sit around and twiddle my thumbs, so this will give me something to do." Jack and Karina chuckled, and Teresa's eyes glinted.

"You guys have so much fun." Karina said wistfully. "We have good rapport, and it got a lot better after that incident with Halsey, but we have have that certain decorum that keeps things stiff and formal."

"That's this guy's fault." Teresa said, nodding her head sideways at Muscone. "We're giving Tanya new ideas to loosen him up."

"Oh, I'm a party animal, compared to Martin Nash." said Muscone. "And I bring him up because he's been reassigned. To Washington. And guess to whom."

"Please don't tell me Robin Isley." I said.

Teresa said "Knowing Nash, probably the Office of Professional Review."

"Wow, spot on!" Jack said approvingly. "You're right. He's with Supervisory Agent Grimes now." I remembered Grimes from his past visit to our Headquarters. (Author's note: 'Iscariot', Ch. 03.)

"Good job!" I said. "Here, hold this." I held up the red crowbar.

"Don't need it, sir." Teresa said. She turned to Karina and said "Long running joke between us."

"I understand." said Karina. "But I remember how I felt when Don handed it to me. It was like I had Thor's Hammer in my hands." (Author's note: 'Only Time', Ch. 03.)

"She still has the one I gave her for the Police Boxing Matches." I said. "So I'm holding out hope she sees the light."

Teresa moved to change the subject: "So Nash is with Grimes now?" she asked Jack.

"Yes." said Muscone. "I'm not sure what's going on with that. Dr. Isley is now with the FBI's Science and Technology Directorate, and from what I hear she's keeping her head down. I heard she wrote a nice review of me and Owen Lange, too."

I nodded. "What about Curtis Halsey?" I asked. Karina scowled at hearing the name.

"Also back in Washington." said Muscone.

"I'm pushing hard on the charges and my complaints against him." said Karina. "They tried to get me to drop it, but I told them I'd file a sexual harassment lawsuit, saying they were pressuring me to drop it because I'm a woman. I'm not letting that one go, no matter what. Not this time."

"Good." I said. "And keep pushing it until they put that bastard in jail."

"Yes, please do." said Teresa. "I was the pilot of that chopper he tried to shoot down. I've added my own complaints to the FBI and BATFE about him."

"Good." said Jack. "So, guys, what about Dominic Ellis? And before you answer, let me just say that the FBI's ballistic people went nuts when you got right back up from him shooting you in the chest at point-blank range. I mean... c'mon Don, that had to hurt."

"What is pain?..." I said cryptically, making Teresa crack a grin, at long last. I then said "Yes, it hurt, but it was more important to rise up again in front of the Press and all those Agents. And it was worth the pain to make that impression upon them."

"As to Dominic Ellis," Teresa said, "He's rotting in a cell at County Jail, two doors down from Jack Logan, awaiting trial. One thing we found out is that his mother and Jocelyn Moran of the USDOJ Civil Rights Division are half-sisters; same mother but different fathers. So that might be at least some of the motive for the shocking change in him after a good start to his career."

Muscone said "We found out that what Don hypothesized is true: Ellis did a lot of intimidating witnesses, such as hooking people to lie detector equipment without their consent and without them realizing they could refuse it. He also did a lot of the 'if you ask for a lawyer, you're obstructing a Federal investigation' stuff that a lot of LEOs are using more and more."

"Yeah, and I'm getting pissed at that, too." I said. "Asking for one's Constitutional rights to be observed is not Obstructing Justice, and I've warned my entire Police Department that a threat like that is grounds for discipline up to and including termination."

Teresa said "I guess with a straight arrow like Nash, SSA Grimes won't be allowing the stuff that he allowed Ellis to do."

Muscone: "That's the FBI's theory, anyway. But don't be too sure. Nash is very capable of coloring outside the lines, if his hackles are up enough. I heard he had something of a falling out with his uncle, the retired Deputy Director."

"Over what?" Teresa asked. Muscone became uncomfortable, and stammered a bit. I rescued him.

"Let's just pretend you didn't ask that question." I said quietly to Teresa. "It's one of those that you really don't want an answer to." Teresa nodded, realizing it had to do with my 'enhanced interrogation' under the Hospital, from which she had rescued me. (Author's note: 'Secrets', Ch. 03.)