Red Squad Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I then said more loudly: "I heard about that rift, and I wondered if there was some play-acting going on with that. They must think that Your Iron Crowbar is an Agency of the Weak-Minded." Teresa nodded. Muscone looked shocked. Karina White squinted her eyes, letting the gears turn in her head. She was definitely what I (positively) thought she was.

"So how's the jury tampering case going?" Karina asked, expertly changing the subject, referring to the Peter Blassingame case. (Author's note: 'Vox Populi, Vox Dei'.)

"Poorly." said Teresa. "The low level perps just will not give up the higher level people. They're not taking deals, they're not responding to threats... not even the ubiquitous 'obstruction of justice' charge added on... and unless we get a huge break, I don't see how we get any further along with it." I nodded vigorously in agreement with her analysis.

I added: "We also have to be careful with it. We got the guilty verdict, but if Gwen Munson gets wind of this stuff, she might be the one to ask for a mistrial based on jury tampering, even though it didn't work."

Muscone nodded. "Interesting, the legal angles of it. I gotta hand it to Gwen Munson; she's a real pit bull when it comes to the law. If I were in legal trouble, I'd probably want her as my representation."

"I wouldn't." Teresa said. "What has she actually won?"

"The only times she loses is when she comes up against the Iron Crowbar." said Muscone. "And that sort of leads into why I asked you to this lunch. Things got calm enough for me and my people to hear the bubbling under the surface of some things coming up. One is Jocelyn Moran's attempts to bring civil rights charges against Mayor Allgood. We thought we had that tamped down, but it appears they only made a tactical retreat to regroup and come out fighting even harder. Melina's watching that very carefully, since her husband is involved." I nodded.

Muscone: "The second thing concerns the Jerry Morelli case, particularly involving his wife Betty." (Author's note: 'Film Noir'.) "Ashton Cardigan told me that someone accessed the FBI's files on that, and in a hacking kind of way. Crenshaw and Jenkins also mentioned some phone calls about that case, and your bringing Betty to the City to testify. That wasn't during Crenshaw and Jenkins's time, so they had nothing to tell about it. But it's weird that it came up... and at the same time as this data hack."

"As Cindy's father says," I said, "there are no coincidences in the Universe. It may be nothing, but if you hear anything else, let me know..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The party for Ross was fairly well attended: Carole, Marie, Tasha, Jim, Ian, and Betsy were there, of course, as were their mothers. Tanya and Jack brought Pete Feeley and his big step-sisters Jennifer and Tiffany. Teresa brought Doug, Mike, and Jack Burke. Daniel Allgood brought Patricia and Daniel, although they weren't related to Ross by blood. Edward R. Steele had come, and of course Our Sheriff Antonio Griswold was in attendance.

"Melina's on a mission." Jack Muscone told me quietly. "She just sends a text that she's going to be out, and I say 'Have a nice time.'; I don't even ask for details." I nodded.

Teresa told me "Todd went up to Apple Grove this afternoon. There was a small fire in their new mask plant. No one was hurt and no serious damage was done, but he and Teddy Franklin and Barry Oliver went up to check it out. So I brought the boys over."

The kids had fun with Ross opening presents, and the cake and ice cream after dinner. I told the kids that we adults were watching Election returns, and that I was DVRing 'The Flash' for them to watch later in the week.

The adults were twittering like parakeets when Tanya announced that her wedding date was set. This gave the women the excuse to cluster in the greatroom while the men were relegated to the front room to watch television. Paulina, Teresa, and Cindy moseyed over to see the returns from time to time.

"Okay," I said as the polls closed. "Who's gonna win?"

"As long as it's not Finneran for I.G.," Teresa said, "I'll be okay with everything else."

"What did your exit polling tell you, Sheriff?" I asked Sheriff Griswold.

"It could be very close." growled Griswold. "The minority areas are pretty solidly for Finneran, and they came out today in good numbers because of the School Board races. We couldn't get a read on the northside, though. And neither could anyone else. People up there were not responding to the surveyors on the phones, and wouldn't talk to the exit pollers today."

"How could anyone be for that pedophile Finneran?" Daniel Allgood asked.

"With the Left," said Edward Steele, "things like that don't matter. They excuse rapists, even murderers... as long as they're Democrats. For a Republican, it would be a disaster to have something like that discovered. For a Democrat, the only thing they consider a crime is to agree with the Republicans on anything."

Sheriff Griswold said "I'm more worried about the response by the Black Community to Finneran's anti-Police platform. That's pretty much all he ran on: that he would really sock it to the Police. And not just you, Don. If Finneran is elected, he's going to do everything he can to crush any Officer for any thing, even if they did the right thing."

"Like when Hicks and Gunddottar shot those two guys who were trying to kill Holloway and Parker last year." Daniel Allgood said. (Author's note: 'The Four Boxes of Liberty', Ch. 01.) "If Finneran had been I.G. then, he would've tried to end their careers. Don are you sure putting the I.G. position in the hands of the Electorate was a good idea?"

"What else could we have done?" I asked back. "And as to your example, the Inquest Boards we set up are meant to have a degree of independence from the I.G. as well as Council and other political groups."

"You're right, Crowbar." grunted Griswold. "But it will still be a disaster for the Police if Finneran is elected I.G..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 9:00pm, the kids began tiring out, and a process of getting them ready for bed began. Yes, it was a weeknight slumber party, with the boys in the attic room and the girls in the third bedroom.

At 9:30pm or so, I began making observations. "KXTC has not talked about the I.G. race much at all, while KFXU has talked about it a lot."


"That's because the northern suburbs vote is coming in earlier than the southside." growled Griswold. "And Finneran is getting killed up there."

The Sheriff was getting a lot of texts, which irritated Bowser but gave us good information. We'd seen on television that Finneran's campaign party at one of the hotels on the southside was attended almost exclusively by young blacks. Horace S. Wellman's campaign party at the University Hotel was attended by seasoned politicians who didn't want to get on the bad side of Horace's brother, University President Sidney P. Wellman.

"It's tightening up." said the Sheriff. "And this last text is from Val Jared. Republicans are getting slaughtered in special elections all over the State, especially the suburbs. That does not bode will for next year."

"And the Press will be telling us all about that." I replied softly. And then I got a text. To my surprise, it was Alison McFarland, publisher of the Town & County Examiner. "The mood of the people at the Finneran party is beginning to drop." I announced. "Word is that the numbers they were expecting on the southside are not materializing."

By now all of the women were coming into the front room, many dragging chairs to sit in. I had not been chivalrous about giving up my rocking chair with its lumbar support pillow.

"What's the latest?" Cindy asked as she pulled her chair around next to mine.

"Democrats are cleaning up on the School boards." I said. "I reeeeeealy thought the angry residents of the wealthy subdivisions like the Heritage Cloisters would elect Republicans, but that hasn't happened."

"Since the elections are nonpartisan this year," Cindy replied, "I suspect the voters don't really know who is for what Party. Next year? Look out." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Bettina is looking more and more unhappy." Tanya noted as the MILF redheaded reporterette gave an update. The KFXU screen showed Priya Ajmani at the Horace Wellman campaign party, which had more of a buzz about it.

At 10:30, our cellphones began lighting up, particularly our Police cellphones. Mine, the Sheriff's, the Mayor's business cellphone, Cindy's, even Teresa's. Bowser barked his displeasure at the noise. So did I.

"I can't believe this." I said. "It's the Press. Bettina is actually calling me on my Police iPhone." I did not answer.

Cindy answered hers. "Hi, Priya." she said. "No, Don has no comment. No, he's not coming to the phone, and he's not answering his..."

"Here we go." growled Sheriff Griswold as Catrina Pierce came onto the KFXU screen.

"And the Fox Eight Decision Desk is making our projection now!" Pierce said. "Fox Eight News projects that Horace S. Wellman has won the race for Inspector General! It is expected that I.G. Wellman's 54-46% lead will hold up, as 98% of the precincts have reported!" The camera went to the side room where University President Sidney P. Wellman was congratulating his brother on the win.

It would be another 45 minutes before Bettina would 'concede' that Finneran had lost. When she got on the air, she finally admitted "The Channel Two News Decision Desk has projected that Wellman has defeated Finneran by a 52-48% margin. While not all of the vote is in from the southern parts of Town, our analysts cannot find any path to victory for Commissioner Finneran..."

KXTC showed Finneran's speech, which was full of anger and hate. He did not concede, saying that not all the vote was counted, and that every minority vote needed to be counted before the election was official. Then he said that the minorities of the Town & County would be enduring another year of physical abuse and racial discrimination at the hands of the Town & County Police.

"But he didn't mention your name, Don." Tanya observed. "I wonder why that is?"

"Nor has KXTC." replied Jack Muscone.

"I wonder why not." Teresa mused. "Any ideas, Don?"

"It's a strangeness, fer sure." I muttered. Everyone knew that I'd just attached importance to that phenomenon, though I had no explanation...

Part 20 - The Cycle Never Stops

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, November 6th, from the anchor desk in the KXTC studios. "We are bringing you continuing coverage of the fallout from last night's Election results!"

Bettina began: "In a shocking result that did not match polling going into the Election nor the exit polling during the day, Board of Inquiry Commissioner Finneran lost his bid to rein in Police brutality by being defeated for the Inspector General position by incumbent Horace S. Wellman, a close crony of Mayor Daniel Allgood and Police Commander Donald Troy. The final numbers were 53-47%. We have with us Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling to tell us what to think about these numbers. Mr. Frazier, what happened here?"

The split screen showed Frazier at a seeming remote location, but was just the the other end of the studio. He said "Bettina, there were two major factors in Mr. Finneran's defeat. First, the minority communities voted in strong numbers, but did not vote early. They voted on Election Day, and as a result they were swayed by the smear campaign against Mr. Finneran for his past associations with the NAMbLA political group."

"Also," continued Finneran, "suburban women, who have turned away from Val Jared and the Republicans's policies, did not cast their votes for the more liberal Finneran, but voted to maintain the status quo with I.G. Wellman."

"Thank you, Karl." Bettina said woodenly as the television image switched back to her. "Although this School Board election was officially nonpartisan, the composition appears to be evenly divided between candidates that leaned Republican and those that leaned Democrat, very similar to the dead-even splits in the Town & County Assembly and Council. The first mission of the new School Board will be to redraw the School District lines, which were drawn by the Charter Commission using computer modeling specifically for this one special election."

Bettina: "And the next Election cycle has already begun! Assistant District Attorney Savannah Fineman issued a press release throwing her hat into the ring for Solicitor, opposing incumbent Ted Mason if he chooses to run again. We are also waiting to hear from Inspector General Wellman, as sources tell Channel Two News that he may choose not to run for the I.G. post again next year...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"What, was Commander Troy not available for comment?" Cindy Ross asked acerbically as we drank coffee and watched the broadcast in the Chief's Conference Room.

"No accusations of a stolen election?" added Tanya Perlman.

"They didn't feature Penis Holder in their coverage?" added Teresa Croyle.

"They're still processing it all." I said. "They haven't figured out what to tell us to think yet."

"But you have processed it, Mr. Crowbarrrr?" asked the Chief. I couldn't tell if he was throwing me shade or was serious.

"Not much to process." I said. "Once it came out that Finneran was essentially a pedophile, it was over. Horace Wellman didn't even run a campaign, hardly. He was twiddling his thumbs even more than certain Klingon warriors in last year's Sheriff election."

Sheriff Griswold did not deign to reply, but literally sat and twiddled his thumbs as his mustaches twitched merrily. My Angels's faces showed great amusement.

"Thank God Finneran did lose." said Teresa. "We might have had a Police strike within a few months if he'd won... or so I'm told."

"You were told correctly." I said. "I heard the same scuttlebutt among the rank and file."

"As did Iiiiii." drawled the Chief.

"And it's not over yet." said the Sheriff. "First, I heard that Finneran might maneuver himself onto one of those Citizens Oversight Boards that might be on the Board of Inquest juries. And second... Bettina's sources are right, for a change. Horace really detested having to run for I.G. as an elected position. He's not going to do it again, and he'll announce it no later than Thanksgiving. He told me to get a replacement candidate ready, and soon..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I took care of business, and asked for the Friday after Thanksgiving and the next Monday as vacation days, saying that I would be out of Town. The Chief approved it after I told him that I had tickets to the Wildcats-State U. game, which would be Jamaal Washington's last regular season college game, and I was going to take Carole to it.

At 10:00am, Helena buzzed me that Lt. Commander Ted Orosco wanted to see me, and I had her usher him in After getting him seated, I said "So what's up?"

Orosco said "I came in to update you on that 'Red Squad' investigation. I'm shutting it down... the investigation, that is."

"What did you find?" I asked.

Orosco seemed to be the slightest bit nervous as he said "If there was something there, they've realized it, and they're laying low. I'm not seeing any more 'clumps' of Officers meeting at odd times and places. I might add that I touched base with Assistant EMS Chief Singer, to see if Firefighters were exhibiting the same behavior while she was the Fire Marshal. There was some past evidence of it, but none now."

I nodded, then said: "I agree there was something before, but nothing now. That shows a guilty conscience... and therefore there really was some smoke there."

Orosco nodded. "My official report, which I'll send to you, the Chief, the Sheriff, and the I.G. as soon as I finish writing it up, is going to say that there is no evidence there is now or ever was a 'Red Squad', nor any evidence of activities within the Police Force that were or are, shall we say, 'extracurricular' in nature."

"Okay, good" I said. "Before you go, I want to ask you something, and don't misconstrue it. I have word that I.G. Wellman won't run again for I.G. Would you have any desire to run for it?"

"No sir." said Orosco with alacrity. "Happy where I am, if you're happy with me here."

"I am, I am." I said reassuringly. "So who would you like to see in the I.G. position? Speak freely and speak frankly."

"Anyone but Finneran." said Orosco. "That guy is really, really dirty, and I'm not just talking about the pedophilia rumors about him. But to your question, sir... I think Daniel Allgood would be great in the I.G. position. He ran a good I.A. shop while he was here, and he wouldn't have to put up with the pile of horse manure he's having to deal with now as Mayor. Why anyone would want to endure what he's enduring, I don't know, but I.G. would be a far happier place for him than Mayor..."

"Those are good thoughts." I said. "I'll talk to Daniel, see what he wants to do..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:30pm, Wednesday, November 6th. After supper with my family, I drove over the mountain to Sheriff Griswold's home on Lake Reservoir.

"Back here, Crowbar!" I heard him call out. He was next to his fire pot in the backyard, near the lake, and had a good fire going in it. I went over and sat down in the chair he had ready for me.

"Here, try this bourbon." Griswold said, pouring me a healthy shot of a special reserve of bourbon he'd just acquired. I sniffed it, savoring the aroma, then took a swig of it. After swallowing it, I sucked in my breath, tasting the charcoal from the charred barrels in which it had been aged at least 18 years.

"Wow, that's good." I said truthfully.

He'd been watching me, and said "I'm glad to see you know how to sample good bourbon properly, Crowbar. Maybe one day I'll convert you to bourbon from Scotch."

"I dunno, sir." I said. "Scotch is similar in that I can really taste how the single malts are made. Add a drop of water and that wonderful aroma and the flavors come out. So maybe I'll teach an old dog a new trick and convert you to Scotch."

"You're a great Detective, Crowbar," the Sheriff growled, "but you are not a miracle worker." I chuckled and he chuckled, and we watched the fire and the blackness of the lake beyond as we sipped our drinks. Finally, Griswold said "So what's up, Crowbar?"

I said "Orosco is dropping his investigation of these so-called 'Red Squads'. He'll have his final write-up in a day or two."

"Good." the Sheriff barked. "And I know you didn't ask him to drop it. So there's nothing there?"

"No," I said, "since they never did anything, there's nothing to accuse them of. Which is good. I won't have to make a decision about it."

"You handled it well, Crowbar." said the Sheriff. "And what decision would you have to have made?"

"I'd've had to have Orosco push it up to Wellman." I said. "But now I don't have to."

The Sheriff nodded. After another round of bourbon and more watching the fire and the lake, he broke the silence: "So you're not going to ask why?"

"I wasn't." I said. "But okay, satisfy a Wild-cat's curiosity: Why did you and Teresa Croyle create those Red Squads?"

The Sheriff chuckled, his mustaches twitching merrily in the eerie orange light of the fire. "I should've known you'd figure it out. And I didn't come to you about it in order to give you plausible deniability. The Press is making up lies about you as it is; I sure as hell don't want to give them anything else to attack you about."

I nodded. "I get that part. But why did you think we needed them?"

Griswold sipped his bourbon, then started: "Leslie Charles and I started the precursors to the Red Squads back in the days when Harold Malone was running his enterprises virtually unchecked. You know about all that, so I won't bore you nor let you drink all my bourbon while I rehash it." I chuckled at that.