All Comments on 'Repaying My College Loans Pt. 02'

by Carl_Bradford

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

That bit about people who value conquering a free woman over using a slave was perfect. However, lifelong slavery for small debts seems like a really badly thought out system. We have enough mass shooters and suicidal people already. Facing a life long sentence with no hope of freedom, just for a small debt might push them over the edge. Makes a lot more sense for the state to impose a set-length sentence. It will be up to the buyers to get what value they can out of the slaves for the remainder of the duration of their sentence. People who want to avoid a court-mandated sentence are free to try and negotiate a better deal with private institutions/individuals. That would be much more sensible. Though it doesn't really affect the rest of this story since Elizabeth went with a privately negotiated sentence anyway.

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomealmost 3 years ago

"now you look slutty enough to sell." Gee, thanks!

ZZchromosomeZZchromosomealmost 3 years ago

Anonymous3: "lifelong slavery for small debts seems like a really badly thought out system." Clearly it would need to be calibrated to the actual debt. The girl in the story owes $46K, so total debt divided by earning potential seems like a reasonable solution. Two to five years sounds reasonable for an entry-level professional.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous