All Comments on 'Respect Ch. 01'

by StoneyWebb

Sort by:
  • 171 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

What a stupid story. Fox news, Mexican cartels, head-hopping from character to character, and chapter one. I won't bother with any more.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 3 years ago

Better than most; but Andy has become the problem.

If this is a setup to introduce Andy as the hapless hero who saves Shiver and they live happily ever after because the cartel kills his current wife, then I suggest you go fuck yourself.

The truth is that Andy resents his wife and her determination to be a partner. Both of them have drifted away and for that Andy us as much to blame as her.

Love, in the end, is a choice.

Bebop3Bebop3almost 3 years ago

Excellent start, Mr. Webb. I look forward to the next chapter.

Pasqual_ClementePasqual_Clementealmost 3 years ago

Great ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ story. Smooth but obvious, transition between characters POV. I like how the plot seems plausible, something that could happen in real life. Without the grand revenge theatrics of similar stories. Plus you ended with a cliff-hanger, Definitely looking forward to part2.

-

Thank-you for the good read.

-

Pasqual

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Wife is a Narssistic cunt.

Mrhappy4aaMrhappy4aaalmost 3 years ago

Very intriguing story. It started off with doubt and possibilities of infidelity. But as the storyline went along, the characters grew into more detail. Happy that their kids are very involved in the story. Most other tales have kids in the FAR background or as custody fodder. Andy and Cassie are well written. Problems they are going thru are as real as it gets.. Maria and Ted are a good addition. Maria as the good, and Ted as the foil/bad guy.. Looking forward to the next chapter.

TimcutyourshitTimcutyourshitalmost 3 years ago

Holy shit I hope part 2 comes fast

TimcutyourshitTimcutyourshitalmost 3 years ago

I hope part 2 comes faster than a male virgin

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Will be interested to see where this goes. Regardless of how Andy and Cassie resolve their situation is expect Andy to be recognised as a hero and become a successful author. Then every one will recognise his innate goodness and genius and be sorry for doubting him.

However, as written Cassie may have no respect for Andy but Andy is definitely dripping with NO respect for Cassie Every one of his inner musing is effectively a put down of Cassie. Talk about marriage expectations. They've started their lives with career goals. Andy is allowed to become upset when Cassie finds his new dreams affecting the family, but Cassie is not allowed to have her dreams because Andy knows she is good enough. Oh the double standards!

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraalmost 3 years ago

I read this in one of Stoney's books! Great story, replete with villains, heroes, helicopters and a decent, likable MC!

bigbob2406bigbob2406almost 3 years ago

Good story, next part please!!

SystemShockSystemShockalmost 3 years ago

This is giving me major "Separate Vacations" vibes, and that's not necessarily a compliment. On one hand, Cassie has a point: Andy isn't living up to his potential and I can see how that would be frustrating. But she's being a cunt about it and considering the circumstances, she really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

My problem is, much like Separate Vacations, I'm already seeing the makings of RAAC. Cartel gunman? So a crisis situation that reignited their love and brings it to the foreground as they're risk their lives for each other. Some over-the-top thing that effectively erases all the shitty last couple years and puts them back on track without anyone actually having to work for it.

I'd love to he proven wrong, but I've seen this setup many times before and it rarely ends differently.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Wonderful story. I hope Cassie pulls her head out of her ass and can save her marriage. She is finding out that her husband isn't as naive as she thought... Hope they can save it, or Andy ends up with Maria as his MRS...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Excellent story so far Stoney; anticipating the next chapter. 5* well done sir.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

It is set up to be a RAC. But the damage that wife has done with disrespect alone is going to make it an uphill battle...for her

Husband was right about everything, and he us the victim in this. He was right about Ted, he was right about her career all driving a huge wedge in their relationship and as a family.

Even the kids see and point out the lack of respect their mom has for their dad, and how little time she spends with them.

It's obvious that the wife has to do ALL the work to repair this family. Sometimes both parties need to work at it. But this is a very one-sided dynamic. All the toxicity came from her. It only makes sense she remove it. Prolly by quitting he job as a peace offering... and that would only be an ice breaker. Because right now her husband has put up with her shit for way too long. Hes mentally checked out. As he should. No one should stay in an abusive relationship. Her little "tough love" talk was manipulative abusive behavior. He can do better.

WargamerWargameralmost 3 years ago

Good story, nice build

4/5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

What were you on when you wrote this? It's all over the damn place and is it Cassie or Callie?

Slick742Slick742almost 3 years ago

Great start and yes you have grabbed the readers attention. Can't wait to Ch. 2. Super writer...thank you!!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xalmost 3 years ago

He doesn't want anything from the house, fine. But to not take alimony, or a share of her retirement? God knows cheating wive aren't shy about taking half of their husbands retirement, why shouldn't a faithful husband get a share of the wife's?

\

I don't believe that the partners really care about what Andy does, it seems that she's only heard that from Ted. The fact that they want Andy back so much shows their respect for him. Oh, as far as her working her ass off, that's HER choice because of her drive to make partner.

\

"Andy was turning our children against me." - LOL, he doesn't have to, she's doing a fine job all by herself.

\

"He seemed to want the divorce." - No, he doesn't "want" the divorce, but he's not going to coming crawling to her if she does.

\

"We had a dinner meeting scheduled for the day after tomorrow to go over a few clients" - Wasn't she complaining about Andy working while they were on vacation?

\

LOL, I love how she can't see that she and Ted were doing just what she's excusing Andy and Maria of doing, except that Andy and Maria really ARE talking business.

\

"I have to admit I was glad that he was jealous." - God, she's so self-centered, she really just doesn't get it.

\

"You knew exactly what was going to happen if you came to my room." - No, maybe she was stupid, but she believed what you said would happen.

\

"Andy, we need to talk." - NOW she wants to talk, not just give him his marching orders.

\

@Whackdoodle, I disagree. While I think we'll be teased with Andy and Maria, but Cassie has come to her senses, and as we, if not Andy, know that she hasn't physically cheated, I see reconciliation on the horizon. Of course, we don't yet know the fallout of what was apparently a terrorist attack, who knows who surviced?

\

I think Part 2 will come fast, it feels like the story has already been written, that the break was to give us the cliff-hanger.

\

I don't see this as a RAAC, assuming it does end in a reconciliation. Cassie is going to have to earn it if it happens.

\

@Anonymous re: Cassie/Callie, I never even noticed! I was too into the story.

\

I don't care for spouses who don't recognize their spouses' value until it's pointed out by others.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 3 years ago

Great first chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Loved the story so far. Wife is a primo bitch who is obsessively seeking more! more! more! "I wanna big house! I wanna fancy car! I worship money! Success! Prestige!" Goals are good. Integrity is better. And sic transit gloria mundi. Maybe she can remember something about "for richer, for poorer . . ." ? Or perhaps she missed that part.

She allowed the letch to poison her mind, she made her husband miserable for a very long time, and then was caught in a compromising position with the letch. We, the omniscient readers, understand she didn't have a physical relationship with the letch. But she had such a thorough emotional one that the marriage is effectivly over already. And unless there was video in the letch's hotel room, she will never, ever convince her husband that she and the letch didn't have sex.

Yes, she NOW realizes she was wrong. Big deal. She's a murderer standing over the cooling corpse of her marriage, and asking for a do-over. How about you don't completely fuck up your relationship to begin with ?

By this point, if it becomes a reconciliation, it will either be a despicable RAAC where the abused husband suddenly has a change of heart and is once again all lovey-dovey (in which case, he rather deserves all the disrespect she heaped on him to begin with), or a deus ex machina event that makes them all happy ever after once again.

But it's Stoney's story to take wherever it goes. 5* so far.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Excellent setup. I surely do hope the next chapter comes out soon before I forget this chapter.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 3 years ago

I always read Stoney stories. This is written with the action/adventure plot LW has come to embrace. I am enjoying that part. That said, writing in first person is not easy to do well. Using two first person characters is easier. Easier is different than better. Two people are first? This is a two way tie person story rather than a first person story. It requires less plotting and less dialogue, but is less satisfying. I will be looking for the next chapter. You have my interest.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Love the story so far, looking forward to the continuation. Keep up the good work.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 3 years ago

Ignore all the complaints on this awesome story! Great buildup with many of their marital issues things we've all experienced. Readers - get a grip! They have children and in a marriage you should ALWAYS do what's best for them. Cassie has pushed the marriage to the brink, sure, but has she done something they can't recover from? Nope. The fact we are debating plot points ALWAYS points to the high quality of writing and how they suck us into their universe. Well done and don't take long for part 2! LOL 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Hard to follow, the places change without warning. They leave home to eat in a restaurant and then they must take a plane to go home ?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great Beginning of an excellent tale so far. Five stars *****

My impression is that this will be a reconciliation tale. It'll be a difficult journey. Cassie has lost respect of her husband because he's not living up to her expectations. Such as continuing in an accounting career accounting and pursing the golden "partnership" trophy when he had grown dissatisfied in the profession despite being exceptional skilled at it. Cassie is much more materialistic and status conscious...the elite profession and the accompanying Mc Mansion and lifestyle. The developing gulf between Andy and Cassie and their respective values and life goals illustrate just how little they have in common any more outside the children. And in Cassie's case, the children have been neglected and put on the back burner in preference to her professional goals. Andy has shouldered much of the child rearing responsibilities and she resents the close relationship he's developed with their kids. Then there's Cassie's infatuation with Ted and how she's allowed him to become her confidant and mentor thinking he actually cares about her when all he's looking for is to get into her panties. So, lots of issues to resolve and reevaluations to consider to determine if Any and Cassie have reached the expiration date of their relationship.

JonDoe315JonDoe315almost 3 years ago

Not too bad so far and hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a raac story. The disrespect and the wife's behavior is narcissistic and he needs to divorce her.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreealmost 3 years ago

A very good start.

A complex and interesting plot.

Top ratings from me.

Danger09Danger09almost 3 years ago

I love your writing. I'm looking forward to chapter 2

GamblnluckGamblnluckalmost 3 years ago

Excellent story so far. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Of course you have a few small gaffs with editing. Those are almost impossible to avoid and if any of your readers don't like it, let them try to write a story. I just hope you don't go too far off the reservation with this. Ted needs to get his comeuppance. Like his wife finding out what he tried.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Can tell this is fiction because a guy who works for Fox News and The Federalist is engaging in actual journalism.

Regguy69Regguy69almost 3 years ago

Very engaging thus far. Wife was sucked in by Ted, but maybe has seen the light. She didn’t fuck the guy, but she deeply disrespected her spouse. It will be interesting to see if she can come back from that.

jakie1jakie1almost 3 years ago

A very nice start, interested to see the direction it goes, will look forward to part 2!

francemanfrancemanalmost 3 years ago

very good first part. 5⭐

I really liked the fact that he signed the papers directly without giving in to blackmail and emotional pressures.

Thanks for sharing your talent.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 3 years ago

watch some asshole make the observation that here need to be better communication ...or some other mindless platitude. Lets be clear here the Husband has dome NOTHING wrong,

.

NOTHING.

.

one could say that the husband is too weak in his conversations . One page 1 the wife claims she says for 95% of all the bills. The husband points out what he does pay for BUT he NEVER gets her to concede that the 95% claim is still there.

.

since that assertion is never directly challenged or refuted... its poisons the entire relationship and their conversations.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great story. I look forward to what happens next.

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 3 years ago

Waiting for the next chapter! Good work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

This is well done. The POV shifts aren't to my taste, but that's an author's choice. The plot is intriguing and the characters are well developed. This is one of the best I've read in quite a while. I'm looking forward to the rest. Easy 5.

BuckeyebobBuckeyebobalmost 3 years ago
5* excellent story

Very interesting story. It held my interest from beginning to end. Please continue it.

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 3 years ago

Excellent start. Looking forward to the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

The story was going along at a predictable pace in the predictable route, then bam, we entered the twilight zone. How does Cassie go from blaming all her woes on her husband, to seeing the light and realize it was all her making. Most people would need years of therapy to do that. How does she go from years of disrespecting her husband, its a feeling not a right or wrong answer to a question. How does one do that, all these things are reinforced by conditioning of years of thinking along those lines. Humans just don't work that way. But I guess anything for your RaaC.

Driven2ReadDriven2Readalmost 3 years ago

5* story so far, could go a few ways. Nice build and nice cliffhanger... looking forward to the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Best story this past week, good story telling. You got my interest. So Cassie finally woke up before any real damage was done. We’ll see how this turn out with Andy a pretty sharp mind take it.

Poppi123Poppi123almost 3 years ago

I can skip over some of the poor sentence structure and lack of punctuation. Those things don't interrupt the flow of the story so much. But the author needs to get his character names and spellings correct and accurate. Trying to go back and figure out who the author meant is highly disruptive and distracting to the flow of the story.

misogynistwithcausemisogynistwithcausealmost 3 years ago

as per ss My problem is, much like Separate Vacations, I'm already seeing the makings of RAAC. Cartel gunman? So a crisis situation that reignited their love and brings it to the foreground as they're risk their lives for each other. Some over-the-top thing that effectively erases all the shitty last couple years and puts them back on track without anyone actually having to work for it.

once you drop the D word its all over, really this is a white entitled bitch who does not smell the shit she is spewing.

Counseling > DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU HAVE SELF RESPECT- she plays the victim card, or as so many shitty writers write - cries....or its sex's.

how many dead women or men or kids because the state said counseling,.

SW hope you dont bitch out..dig deep, humans should have better stories, and modern professional women are just not worth it - see the stats on black/white professional women, marriage past 30 - not living up to your potential - never heard a man say that to a woman....oh or the word sorry and mean it

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Nice story and look forward to part 2.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Who the hell thinks Maria Shriver is good looking?

silentsoundsilentsoundalmost 3 years ago

Damn Stoney! Have to give full marks. Despite some minor editing, this story is great and I can't wait for more!

Thank you!

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 3 years ago

Good story. I'm looking forward to the rest. It's always hard for me to understand immature characters like the wife, but I do know they exist.

One thing seemed odd: he seems like the liberal who doesn't work for money and she seems like the conservative focused on wealth and prestige.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

more of course

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I have to give you an a for a great cliffhanger stopping point.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 3 years ago

This is a strong start. Lots of conflict. Good character development. And a cliffhanger.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

"Wackadoodle"

Are you on drugs? How is Andy the problem? Maybe because he exposed his head so Cassie could shit on it? Andy was very insightful in his assessment of his wife's capture by the asshole Ted. Is Andy a problem because he communicates an accurate assessment of the situation? I know you (wackadoodle) can't respond but I would love to get some insight into your thought process on this. Andy is the aggrieved party here and the damage done by Cassie might very well be terminal to this marriage.

RanDog025RanDog025almost 3 years ago

Great story, loving it so far! 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Entertaining start. Please don't RAAC them. Please post the ending quickly. Thanks for the good effort.

njlaurennjlaurenalmost 3 years ago

I like it,while it has an old theme, the ambitious wife and the husband she decided is unworthy, it works. There is enough ambiguity in Cassie where she isn't a cardboard cutout and she does wake up. The story is good that it gives possible futures, maria sounds like she could be a good fit for Andy.

Is it gone too far,has Cassie destroyed the marriage? She doesn't cheat with Ted and dies seem to figure out Andy is not what she thought, but who knows? A reconcilation here is not impossible, the real question here is cam Ted still love her for what she did to him? I could also see where Ted finds out the accounting firm is dirty and tied to the Cartels, be sweet revenge for him. Cassie here at least finally shows she is human, even if she is not too bright ( even for an accountant)

JohnD46JohnD46almost 3 years ago

You have the start of a good story. Look forward to a great next chapter. Thanks John

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 3 years ago

So far so good.

At first I thought that Andy was at fault

with the problems on his marriage as he

didn't stop the bleeding at the onset of the troubles. Later on Andy had similar observations as I had so it"s cool. Hope I don't have to wait long for the next chapter but I think I know where this is heading: reconciliation.

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 3 years ago

Excellent start, looking forward to the next part. One comment or question. Why does the husband sit and listen while their wife degrades them.

jmmj5jmmj5almost 3 years ago

Very enjoyable.

Looking forward to part two.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I think there must be at least a second chapter..what happens after the intervieuw get interupted ?

MissMudMissMudalmost 3 years ago

Really enjoyed it. Can’t wait for the next chapter.

BeBopper99BeBopper99almost 3 years ago

5***** Excellent, gripping story so far! Write On!

KRD19254KRD19254almost 3 years ago

Stoney, this part 1 is rather disjointed. You start with Andy being in explosion (where/when/why unknown) to 'Andy' going into story foundation in a slip-shod way with no real context of time(s). You attempt to connect why Andy and family are in Mexico city for the kids spring break vacation, which 1.5days will be used for work at FOX, but then you jump to Cassie being their with her company for some meetings (and tax write-off)? But Andy's 1.5 days of work is totally unsat to Cassie who is also there for work - hypocritical??? Cassie relies on Ted for all wisdom and NOT Andy her husband... Showing us disrespect and setup for betrayal.

/

Ted's is Andy's mimesis trying to seek revenge by breaking up Andy's marriage that Cassie is to arrogant & stupid to see. For 2yrs after Andy quit accounting with the help of her father's definition of success and Ted's manipulations she has steadily built up disrespect towards her husband. We are to believe that after 2yrs of her warped mind and 6months of near betrayal and chance almost sexual affair with Ted brought her around to see her damage to Andy and the kids - OVERNIGHT?

/

The biggest miss is tying the story lead in to the last few paragraphs of Part 1 to set up a good cliff-hanger! "Gunmen in the hotel", when and where is the the explosion? Was it in the FOX suits? Were the kids hit? Was Cassie hit? Was Maria hit? With luck was Ted hit and taken out?

/

Is this a BTB or RAAC about a marriage or an action story about a President being gunned down?

/

Timeline: 15yrs marriage; Sally 14yrs old? Kenny 13yrs old ??? Andy quit accounting 2yrs ago; Ted became Cassie's boss 6months ago. Andy had issue with Ted's work 10yrs ago???

/

Stoney either you are setting up a reader misdirection twist or Maria will become Andy's new flame. Cassie's 2yrs of disrespect, alienation of their kids, and 6mo of emotional CHEAT is too much to overcome - I hope. The only salvation for Cassie is to file sexual harassment charges against Ted or she is all but toast.

/

3.5*, Hooyah, but no salutes to much hanging....

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 3 years ago

Helluva story. Bring on part 2

BaggyUKBaggyUKalmost 3 years ago

Cracking start Stoney, great entertainment and looking forward to the next chapter. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Enjoying it so far nice to see the woman realize her stupidity early and like seeing male characters written as strong and ethical not as whimpy cucks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

One of the better stories released in the past 3 months. Looking forward to part 2

dragonmann72dragonmann72almost 3 years ago

I read something at the beginning of the story that I needed t think on for a while before I decided to comment.

This trip had been planned months ago by a group of about a dozen couples in Cassie's office. How did he manage to swing the Maria Shivers thing to happen at the same time, and if the accountant group planned to work during it (to write it off) what was the difference if he worked (and wrote it off)?

I had come to Mexico with exciting news about my writing, but now I decided that I'd keep it to myself. Not being a detective but having stayed at a stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, he sold a book for a good deal of money, that was why he didn't need Cassie's money.

Looking forward to your next chapter.

iameaseliameaselalmost 3 years ago

Enjoyed it so far. The cliched over the top LW template of a totally dim witted stupid wife was exasperating at first, and I fought to keep going, more than once, but in the end the overall story was good.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 3 years ago

Can’t wait for more. Hurry!

.

Not really - it’s a great start, so take the time and get it right (not too much time, I hope).

.

I’m pulling for Andy and Cassie - yes Cassie - she seems like a decent girl who’s got to get her head out of her ass - is it too late? A great cliffhanger.

gentle_touch4ugentle_touch4ualmost 3 years ago

Great story. I am anxious to read the next chapter.

bobbythreebobbythreealmost 3 years ago

Damn you!

I know it makes me sound juvenile but I typically stay away from the longer stories. I just don't like to invest too much time and effort, just looking for something a little quicker you know? I know 15k words isn't too long but it is only part one. Anyway I read it anyway. You have me hooked. Please please please tell me you have part 2 ready or nearly so. I'll be honest, I like a good reconciliation story, so long as reconciliation is warranted. I'm really hoping for a reconciliation here but so far I'm not sure it's deserved. Sure thg he wife didn't go all the way, and sure she's starting to see her husband in a new light. But do far it's like if he isn't successful enough then he's not worthy of her. Fuck that. If she can't accept him and respect him being a no name writer who manages to make a good enough living to support his family then frankly she doesn't deserve him whether he is 'successful' or not. I can't wait to see where this goes, does she truly come to her senses in time? I can't wait to find out.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 3 years ago

Now that's a real set-up for a crescendo at the finish! So many fascinating arcs and possibilities. Great going, mate.

5*

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Excellent

Tremendous beginning. I see where it could have been in a different category but that doesn't matter. Please continue...

Five Stars

johnadpjohnadpalmost 3 years ago

First, enjoyed the story so far.

Second, many aspects of this story reminded me of DQS' "Separate Vacations."

Third, I have to make some comments about the financial aspects of the story:

1. We can guess that Cassie made about $200,000 a year. We are told that Andy made 1/6th of that, so $36,000 a year. Since he is self-employed he has to be double the social security and medicare tax (16%). Also, as they likely filed joint tax returns their marginal federal and state income tax would be around 24% (conservative); not even considering property or sales tax here. So, Andy's after tax income would be around $1,800 a month. That basically would pay for his car payment, insurance and gas, and maybe some pocket spending money. Cassie was paying virtually for everything else, so she had every right to be resentful that he wasn't holding up his end of the financial burden in the relationship. He has every right to chase his dreams, but the spouse has every right to not be ok with that as well. I have seen too much of this with the reverse of the sexes.

2. Andy at one point says that Cassie's employer pays for their health insurance. As an accountant he should know how false that statement is. Health insurance is EARNED benefits. It is not a gift an employer gives their employees. It's the same as the paycheck an employer pays their employees; it's EARNED income. So, Cassie was fully paying for their health insurance, not just the copay. Plus, if she didn't have that job or doing similar stuff to him they wouldn't have health insurance to start with.

3. As stated in 1 Cassie was paying for all of their expenses; however, Andy complains that Cassie doesn't clean the house or do any of the cooking, but instead orders out. I'm sorry, if one spouse is the main provider, the other partner does all the bitch work. That's how it works in a relationship. You cannot expect the wife to do the traditional female role of cooking and cleaning, but then you're not doing the traditional male role of being the provider. The stats show that wives with full-time jobs still do 70-80% of the child rearing and housework.

It was also hinted in the story that he was keeping big news from Cassie. I'm guessing this is that his book(s) is/are being published. There are thousands of authors on Lit, and none that I know of are professional authors. Sure, a few have self-published, but from what I can tell they've made a few thousand dollars off of that. But this is a story, and the "wronged" husband will I'm sure hit the lottery in part 2.

I can sympathize with Cassie, because I have seen amongst my circle the exact opposite. Friends who are high earners with wives that have essentially hobbies, "pursuing their dreams", and they are not making any money, and the full financial responsibility lies on the husband. I have an attorney friend who made/makes several hundred thousand I'm guessing and his wife quit her job because she was going to build an empire when she got into a bullshit multi level marketing scheme. Another mutual friend and I sat him down one day about what she was doing (she would go off for weeks at a time traveling and leave their young kids for him to watch), and we asked him was she at least making money at it. He said after 3 years she was about breaking even (basically paying for her traveling). It took us giving him a little shit for him to sit her down and telling her she needs to give up that bullshit "business and dream", and either at least be a full time mom or go back to work. She finally did. So, yeah, I sympathize with Cassie. I can see her fed up after 2 years having all the financial pressure on her shoulders and then on top of that being expected to make sure there is dinner available, and the home was cleaned (had to hire cleaners as opposed to him doing the cleaning), etc.

So, far this story is going through the same pattern as "Separate Vacations". Husband trying to be an author, making change compared to the wife, but he complains that he pays his share of the expenses (I broke down in that story as well that he couldn't have been based on the income he had). She was trying to make partner. There was the partner that was very good looking and charming. It was all around a vacation (that was Hawaii). There was the distaste for the McMansion that he didn't want, but "she had to have."

johnadpjohnadpalmost 3 years ago

Have to make a comment about the LW theme of the husbands throwing at the wife's face that "she had to have the McMansion that he never wanted", as if having a "McMansion" was a bad thing.

'

1. First, the largest investment most American households have that they eventually use for retirement are their homes. So, having a nice expensive home (that you can afford- which they could based on Cassie's income) is a good investment. When they retire, and the kids are out of the house if they don't have enough in their 401k's and other investments, they can downsize on their home and take part of that equity for retirement savings.

2. Having a higher value home means better neighborhood, which means lower crime, which means better schools for their two young children. Also, better neighborhoods usually have better educated people, and their kids are more likely to go someplace in life. So, having your kids raised in a neighborhood like that with them having friends and circle of kids who are more ambitious, expect to become professionals or have a certain income and lifestyle in the future, are less likely to go down the wrong track. This is what every parent should aspire to give their children if they can afford it (which they could in this case because of Cassie's salary).

3. "McMansion" also means you have extra rooms. We have a separate TV room, but we spend most of our time in the family room where there is no TV (on purpose). This way when we spend time together, it's uninterrupted by media; we are actually interacting with one another. I have an office, my wife has a hobby room, and my son has a separate room for his schoolwork.

You don't need a McMansion to have a good family life, but I don't get the whole concept of knocking it down in these LW stories. Yes, one shouldn't get it if it's stretching you financially, and you can't afford it. But if you can (as they could in this story based on Cassie's income) then there are major benefits to it as mentioned above.

mac1729mac1729almost 3 years ago

Really good set up for the next chapter, looking forward to it

FireFox59FireFox59almost 3 years ago

Great, great start to your story. Looking forward to Chapter 2.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 3 years ago

You've built up the tension nicely. I eagerly await the next installment

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A little longish.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I'd like to see Andy take it up the add. Hope you don't wimp out.

afanoffanlitafanoffanlitalmost 3 years ago

Really interesting….lots of ways this can go. Very well done.

Texican1830Texican1830almost 3 years ago

Great start! Ready for part 2!

PdgriggsPdgriggsalmost 3 years ago

You got my interest peeked. Looking forward to part 2.

KRD19254KRD19254almost 3 years ago

Wow, my direct story comments wee censored off. That is a first.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Who endures that kind of verbal abuse? I'm quite interested to see where this is heading.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A wonderful, engaging story. Thank you for it. My only issues are technical. For example, "Please, we need to sit down and talk?" Is she asking him if they need to talk? No, she's telling him, so the question mark should have been omitted.

On the other hand, the wife asks, "What's her room number." and there's a period where a question mark belongs. Simple errors, but distracting, and an edit should have caught them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I really liked the story....until it ended on cartel gunmen in the hotel. Perhaps not unrealistic given some of the stuff that happens in Mexico, but now we are heading into international "hero" territory and I am not all that crazy about it.

Four star for this installment. Hope the next doesn't turn into a Rambo or Die Hard event.

jneric2691jneric2691almost 3 years ago

Waiting for the next chapter!

secretsalsecretsalalmost 3 years ago

"His brother was a garbageman, but my dad treated him like he was a CEO."

Smart move, he's probably a mob boss.

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldalmost 3 years ago

Great storytelling. Can’t wait for the next episode.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Whackdoodle, you have tunnel vision. If you suggests that Andy should accept her demand, surrender to Ted's manipulation, stop doing a job that he enjoys, accept her demeaning comments, and ignore her disrespect, then I suggest you go fuck yourself.

Cassie wanted to be partner so much she relegated her family into a trophy. She thinks the only way she can make partner is with Andy rejoining the firm.

Where do you even get that Andy resents his wife and her determination to be a partner? All I get is that Cassie resents her husband and his determination to be a writer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A much better tale than this authors usual. Looking forward to its conclusion, no matter which way it goes. Cassie is growing restive in her marriage, why? It’s about the money and she can’t control Andy. Ted says this, and Ted says that. The marriage is failing, she knows it, Andy knows it and all she can think to do is ask that cock-smoker Ted about it. No wonder she hasn’t made partner. She’s too stupid! I like the fact that the ‘waiting in the wings’ super hot female seems genuine and appears not to have an agenda

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

OUTSTANDING! I can't wait to read the next installment.

kencorokencoroalmost 3 years ago

That is blatant sexual harassment, on top of that job extortion. She better take care of that if this is going the reconciliation route.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous