Responsibility Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That priest rolled the scroll open, and it was significantly long. He read each name out to everyone. Rahela noticed that Verala Chachuk, the new Baroness of Peitlada, was one of the people listed. That Baroness wasn't required to be at this particular court meeting. Terribly convenient.

Once the River Priest had finished reading, he closed the scroll and gave it to Yana. Yana walked up the steps to the throne and, with a bow, she held the scroll open for Rahela to read herself.

Yes. Baroness Verala was there, along with all the other people. Most of them weren't here at the court. That was also terribly convenient. Rahela gestured for Yana to close the scroll and then said, "Give this to the scholars." As Yana obeyed without even an eye's blink, Rahela looked back to the River Priest. "When such a thing is laid out to this court, the next move is to find a suitable and temporary person to sit on the throne and judge the case. After all, how can a ruler, or a ruler's representative, judge oneself with any grain of fairness?"

There was a short moment where the audience seemed to exchange quick but worried looks. It was as if they hadn't expected Rahela to actually follow the law here.

Pointing the scepter's orb over towards the Empress Dowager, her face still unthawed as it turned that way, Rahela asked, "Your Majesty, Empress Dowager, would you please take this scepter and cloak, and sit upon this throne so that you may judge this case?"

Slowly, taking the time to adjust a slight wrinkle in her surcoat's glimmering skirt, the Empress Dowager rose from her chair. Then, after a sigh, she loudly and rather tersely announced, "I won't hear it."

Gasping. Wide eyes. Shifting in seats.

The audience was unnerved. The River Priest put on the creakiest, most achingly false smile Rahela had ever seen. He gave a deep bow and waited for Rahela to address him, and she did.

"This matter won't be heard. You have my apologies for your wasted time." She made a low, sweeping movement with the scepter. "This priest will leave the floor now."

That was the true end of it. The Imperial Court Meeting had to end.

Later on, as Rahela sat in her bedchamber, unpinning her headdress from her veil, she listened to Yana and Gabi express their concern. Ah, how frightening! Oh, how could they be so flagrant?

Carefully holding some dangling and looped beads from her headdress as it was laid down, trying to keep them from tangling, Rahela interrupted the girls' conversation. "None of you expected this to happen? Were I a gambling sort, I'd have placed my bets long ago."

Gabi was trying to loosen up a plait of hers when she approached and asked Rahela, "Do you suppose the Empress Dowager is fond of you?"

"Fond?" Rahela handed a piece of jewelry off to a chambermaid. "That word might not be appropriate. I'd rather say she has accepted me."

Gabi moved in closer and put her hand on a nearby table. "You've made and earned your spot here. I'm so proud to have you as my sister. I don't need any glory. Being your sister is enough."

Rahela didn't nod, but she did say, "One day I hope to give you similar compliments."

***

"Savor this experience," the Empress Dowager told her rather plainly. "It won't be long until you won't be allowed on horseback."

Rahela replied with, "Of course, Your Majesty. I'd never endanger the Empire's heir."

The women were riding in the forest, with their almost always present group of attendants and bodyguards. It wasn't a rowdy group, of course, but there was plenty of noise. Horses and mules have little choice but to be loud when quickly moving. They weren't so loud that their riders couldn't speak, although their voices had to be raised.

Rahela was actually smiling a bit as they went on. Sometimes she caught herself and had to force the smile back into its little corner in her mind.

But suddenly, she was unable to smile. Even if she wanted to, she couldn't.

The Empress Dowager's mare suddenly veered away from the group, and she started running wild, even bucking a bit. Unfortunately, the now furious Empress Dowager, couldn't control the beast. She tried everything, nearly falling from her saddle as she moved.

The rest of the group tried to help. Even Gabi tried to get close and grab that mare's reins. When the Empress Dowager's mare reared back and nearly knocked Gabi's mare down, Rahela cried out to the child, "Retreat! Back!"

Gabi's successful and safe withdrawal gave Rahela a second's worth of relief, but she didn't have time to enjoy it. The next event didn't last even a full second.

The Empress Dowager screeched.

And she fell to the earth.

Along with the noises of forest litter being scattered, there was a thud and a crack.

The Empress Dowager's mare ran off.

The Empress Dowager hardly moved at all.

***

12