Responsibility Ch. 32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leran then spent some time describing what he'd seen, except for the frightening maiden. He did so with a very business-like tone, as if he was making a proposal involving a small trade deal. The two men didn't seem very surprised at all. Being assassins, they weren't strangers to such things.

"I believe that any day now," Kolos said with a shrug, our patrons will be overthrown, and we'll be out of the castle."

"Secret troops are already being put in place and learning the routes," Robi added as he put his hands on his hips. "We should tell the Empress, or her bodyguard. If she can live, then we'll still have a chance to return one day."

With a small nod, Leran said, "I've no disagreement here. In the meantime, I'll remain to entertain whoever sits on the throne once this is all finished." He tried to walk off, but Kolos stopped him with a question.

"Why did you tell us? I had no idea you were loyal to anyone."

Not even giving a gesture, nor looking behind himself, Leran told the blond, "You're right. I'm not loyal. I won't give my true heart to any ruler. However, there are circumstances even I wish to manipulate. You'd best help that tiny, hopeless woman."

Before Leran could continue with his leave, he was interrupted again. This time by Robi. "Well, who in the world are you trying to kill?"

Leran couldn't stop a little grin.

"There must be someone you want dead," Robi went on. "That's the only reason I can think of for this. Hand us some money and we'll take care of your issue."

Leran's grin widened.

And he told Robi, "You can't do it."

And he left them.

***

"It was a playful little attack," Rahela's voice squeaked out as she took Ammas' hand in hers, kneeling before the now alarmed man.

Some time ago, Ammas had been given the distressing news by the two assassins. Once he had Empress Rahela alone in a corner of her bedchamber, where the many girls couldn't hear but could still see, Rahela had done this embarrassing action.

This woman had released her sorrow before the man, humbling herself, tears flowing down.

"When my hair was cut away," Rahela said, although she had to be careful not to blubber, "it was an attack on my culture. However, when my mule was killed, it was a joke. It was a testing reminder that not even the innocent will be spared, that I can't protect my loved ones for long."

She let her short, clean fingernails tap one of the man's rough, scarred knuckles, and she sighed and sniffed. "I must alert you to this. I understand your secret... concerning your diet."

His fingers tightly curled. He was gripping her. It almost hurt.

Rahela sniffed again. "I knew this secret for quite some time, but I had no reason to reveal it, and I still have no reason. I only wish to reaffirm my principled intentions. I've never directed any rancor toward you, and I don't plan to. So... I must beseech you."

She gasped. She nearly coughed. She trembled.

"Those trio of girls. Yana, Oksana, and my favored Gabriella. They are aligned to me, and if I am taken they will be too. Yana and Oksana could be tortured, could be raped, anything. Gabriella's fate is much more certain. She'll be killed. Please, please Ammas! Please take those girls. Dress them in plain clothes of boys. Take them out of the castle, out of the capital, even out of the Empire if it can be done. I care not if they're made into wheat farming peasants. As long as they're held safe and away from this persecution, I can die with peace in my heart."

The man seemed to need three seconds to find his words.

But he indeed found them.

"You never had to remind me of anything, Madam. Your actions had long ago proven your worth to me. I'll gladly take the girls off to safety. I'll see to it that they live the most peaceful lives I can find."

Rahela released his hand.

She got up to her feet.

Wiped her face as dry as possible.

And suddenly cried out, "All my chambermaids! Off to my bathing chamber! Immediately! Or else I'll have you beaten to death!!"

Those servants couldn't disobey very well, even if they wanted to. They scurried off to Rahela's bathing chamber, where Ammas began helping Rahela to move furniture and whatever else to block the door.

Yana was the first among the trio of remaining girls to ask what in the world they were doing, but Rahela snapped out that she needed to shut her mouth. Oksana thought to start walking off somewhere, but Rahela countered that action with a threat to have her fingernails ripped out by Ammas personally. Gabi put her hands to her mouth and stared at Rahela with watery eyes.

Once Ammas and Rahela were satisfied that the now crying chambermaids were unable to leave, Gabi suddenly asked in her native language, "Why did you seal those servants away?"

Rahela responded with, "So they won't be able to tell anyone that you're leaving."

Then, with Ammas keeping his eye on the girls, Rahela ran over to some of her personal coffers. She unlocked them with shaking hands, and she didn't even close them once she was done. Quickly, she soon had a few pouches full of precious coins, small but expensive jewelry, and even a few fine soaps. The jewelry and soaps could be sold off in case of emergencies. She gave most of the pouches to Ammas; the girls received one pouch each. Ammas then nodded and gathered the girls close to himself.

The last thing Rahela said to the girls was this:

"Obey me well. Listen and heed this man. He will care for you. If he is incapacitated, or if he betrays you, then flee for your very lives to the nearest town or city. Tell nobody what your names are. Tell nobody where you come from. Find jobs as seamstresses, or weavers, or anything you can do. Do what you must to survive, and don't ever have any hope of seeing me again."

Gabi was truly weeping at that moment.

Ammas hushed her by crouching down, touching her wet cheek, and telling her this was only being done because the Empress had love in her heart.

***

12