Ridin the Storm Out Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tim wanted to go back on the water after lunch, we spent the next few hours slowly paddling our way around the better part of the lake. As I was pulling the canoe on shore I heard Lynn groan and looked up.

"I haven't used those muscles in years, I'll sleep like a log tonight." She said smiling.

Our timing had been impeccable, just as we reached the cabin Tim's mom texted wondering what time Lynn thought they might be back. As I helped get their gear into her truck she turned and gave me a quick hug followed with a kiss on the cheek.

"Let's do this again Cal, I've really enjoyed your company and I'd like to get to know you better. Maybe we could meet for coffee or lunch one day this week. The hospital isn't far from me, there are times I do lunch with Gwen, I could meet you in the cafeteria."

With a cooler of filets in the back and a pat on my hand she climbed into the truck, leaned out the window and smiled.

"I had a lot of fun. I'm serious about lunch, text me."

I turned to walk back as she drove away and thought twice about that. I needed to get the canoe put away and life jackets hung in my small boat house. It wasn't fancy, a simple shed off to the side of the dock with enough overhang on the roof to keep the canoe out of the weather. The inside was spacious enough to store paddles, life vests and most of my fishing stuff. The padlock on the door could be easily destroyed if thieves wanted in badly enough, but I didn't keep anything expensive in it anyway. I've found through life that locks are there to keep honest people honest, because the thieves will find a way in no matter what they have to destroy in the process.

Mid Monday morning I had a surprise guest in my office. Gwen came in with a coffee for each of us and sat opposite my desk. The smile on her face was that of a child who's been into mischief.

"So I heard you had a fun time this weekend. You certainly made an impression on mother. She hasn't been this giddy in who knows how many years. It was Cal this and Cal that, how much fun she and Timmy had, all the fish you guys caught, the great meal you prepared. It was like she was on a recorded loop most of yesterday."

I found myself blushing at her comments. "I think you're jerking my chain Gwen. Your mom is no schoolgirl, I can't imagine her going on like that."

She laughed as she stood to leave, "You have no idea Cal. You're the guy she's been waiting for since dad died. If you tell her I said any of this I'll flat out deny it, but you need to know that you woke something inside mom, and I for one like it. Have a good day, see you later."

As she was halfway through the door she stopped and turned to me, "Give her a call or text. She would love that."

Thinking I would be coming on to strong and possibly sounding desperate I didn't make a call. I did think about Lynn a lot that day and the next. I found her to be charming and easy to be around, she was certainly educated enough to carry on a meaningful conversation. The age difference wasn't that great, she fit the bill in the looks department, I would have no problem waking up to that every morning. Considering that her body looked to be in good shape for her age I could feel the hormones beginning to wake up. Could I, would she? Only time would tell, after all, I'm no spring chicken or great find anymore, as if I ever was.

I got brave Wednesday morning and sent a text, a simple text.

Me: Lunch?"

Her response took less than 30 seconds. Yes, Cafeteria?

Me: How about that little sandwich place around the corner from the hospital? I've eaten there a few times and found it to be good.

Lynn: Excellent. The lady who owns that is my best friend from high school. She also has very good soups.

Me: I know, I love soup for lunch. That's one of the reasons I first went. Eleven thirty alright?

Lynn: I'll be there, get a table if I'm running late. That place fills up fast when the lunch crowd arrives.

I got busy and damned near forgot about my lunch date with Lynn. Bounding out the door at eleven fifteen I hurried over to the sandwich shop arriving just as Lynn was walking through the door ahead of me. She stopped and smiled as she turned to face me.

"Hi there. Did you forget?"

I hung my head as I muttered, "Almost, my apologies."

And there it was, another playful slap on the arm. What was it about this woman anyway?

"Not to worry cowboy, so did I. I'm not used to considering other peoples lives or schedules anymore. I'm glad you made it."

Over a bowl of ham and bean soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side we talked, laughed and

had a fun lunch. As the lunch crowd was reaching full force we decided to leave so another table would be available. As I walked her to her truck she was close to me, not rubbing bodies or holding hands, but certainly closer than two people who'd only met a few weeks ago. I found myself wanting to take her hand but thought better of it.

At the truck I wanted to kiss her, that was also a no-no in my mind. She was a nice lady and something good might come of our friendship, no need to spoil it by insisting on a kiss. With the door open she turned to me.

"Any chance you can get the afternoon off? I have some wood that needs to be split and stacked, I wouldn't mind some help."

I squinted my eyes, "I don't think I should Lynn, we have a staff meeting this afternoon and it's hard to schedule an hour when I don't have one of us working. How about if I come this Saturday and help with the firewood? I sure don't want you doing that on your own."

She smiled and this time instead of thumping me in one manner or another she patted my chest and thanked me. She began to get into the truck, then stopped and turned to me again.

"Do you have any of that beer left?" I nodded. "Mind if I stop by later, I'll grab a pizza in town on my way. Sausage and mushroom okay?"

I raised my eyebrows, "Extra cheese?'

Another smile, "You got it cowboy. I'll be there by six."

Part two is finished and in final editing.