Right Down the Line Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
R410a
R410a
2,969 Followers

I thought a moment, "I get off at 4:30 Friday. Is six too late?"

"Six is perfect." He exclaimed. "I work until 5, that'll give me time to go home and get cleaned up. I drive a pickup, is that going to be okay?"

"That won't matter at all. I'll be ready by six. Goodnight Cliff."

"Goodnight Elaine. See you Friday at six."

I went to sleep with a warm fuzzy feeling for the first time in ages. Maybe life was going to start going my way just like Mama said it could. When I told her about the phone call the next morning she was excited for me. Once again telling me to take it slow and not be in a hurry to fall in love.

In her words, "As you found out personally, there are way too many people in love with being in love when they get married. There's more to it than an oooey gooey feeling inside. It takes commitment on both sides to make it work."

By the time my shift was nearly done Friday I was doing things on autopilot. My mind wasn't on groceries, it was on Cliff taking me to fish fry. What was I going wear, how should I do my hair, how much makeup should I apply? Questions that played in my head over and over like a 24-hour newsreel.

So, I did what any smart girl should do. I asked Mom all those same questions. She helped me pick out pretty but sensible underwear. Not that he was going to see them, like she said, "to be comfortable." I was digging through jeans when she stepped from the closet with a pair of nice slacks I hadn't worn in over two years. Holding them against my frame along with a satin blouse she nodded.

"Mmm-hmm. These will do just fine. Put these on and we'll do your hair."

When I presented myself she smiled, "Feels good getting into the same clothes you wore two years ago doesn't it? The blouse is a bit fuller than the last time I saw it on you but that's okay. It doesn't look slutty, just full."

She turned me toward her vanity area, slapped my butt and said, "Let's finish making you beautiful kiddo."

Daddy walked in just as Mama was finishing my hair. He scoffed, "No damned way she's leaving the house looking like that."

Thank God for strong mothers. "What on earth are you talking about Frank. She's covered from ankles to her neck and looks lovely."

"That's what I mean." He blurted. "She's so beautiful that guy will be fighting off every man in the place."

I stood, spun, and put my hands on my hips. Mom grinned with a twinkle in her eye, "Your father is a bit tetched darling. He'll get over it. I'll make sure he isn't thinking of you this evening."

Dad turned to her with a grin, "Really? Okay baby girl you're free to go. But no kissing on the first date."

I hung my head groaning in exasperation as I walked by them. My Dad, what an overdramatic goofball he can be at times.

I faintly heard Mother say, "If I recall correctly we did a little more than kiss on our first few dates.

He put his finger to her lips, "Shhh, she doesn't need to know that."

I barely heard her say before I was out of listening range, "I think it's the pot calling the kettle black mister. I believe I'll need to punish you after she leaves."

Dad said louder than I think he wanted to, "Really?"

As I stood watching out the front window for headlights, I smiled to myself. That's what I want my future life to be. Just like them. After 28 years of marriage they were as in love, if not more, than when they'd first met. Did I have what was needed to shed the hurt and fear of my past? Only time would tell, but I was certainly going to give that chance my best efforts.

My heart began to race as I watched headlights get brighter on Elm, when they turned onto Pace Avenue I could see it was a pickup. When it stopped in front of our house I let out a little squeal. Mama was behind me with her hand on my hip.

"Have fun honey, and remember, be smart."

"I will."

I stood back in the hallway as the doorbell rang. Dad opened the door, put forward his hand to shake Cliff's and calmly pulled him inside.

"Good evening Cliff. You're gonna take good care of my girl, right?"

Cliff nodded, "Yes sir."

Dad looked at me, smiled and said, "Then go have fun. What time should we expect you home Elaine?"

I decided it was time to stand my ground so Mom wouldn't have to run interference.

"When I get here Daddy. Don't wait up."

I loved the expression on his face, one of credulity and bewilderment. I wanted his guidance and protection, but maybe now he'd loosen the reins a little and stop hovering. Walking to the truck Cliff looked at me and said, "You look great Elaine. Absolutely great." I swooned, I hadn't heard words like that since, well, I couldn't remember since when.

He opened the door and offered his hand for assistance getting in. Ah, a gentleman. I could get used to treatment like that. His truck wasn't new but well taken care of and clean. Like most trucks in our part of the country it was set up for a snowplow. I was impressed. Our conversation was nothing more than chit chat on the way to Dugan's. The service was as good as the food. Why had I never stopped here before? Since we'd gotten there after the supper crowd the dining area was only half full, we decided to stay and talk.

Cliff started the conversation. "Tell me a little bit about yourself. Dreams, aspirations, goals?"

I wasn't sure how open I should be with him and made an on the spot decision.

"Short version. I was married young, had a miscarriage, and a worthless husband sleeping with another woman. He had been verbally and mentally abusive for months, one night I took a baseball bat to him. Putting him in the hospital and me in jail. Anything else you wanna know, or should we just go? Now that you know the skinny about me I expect you'll want to move on."

He laughed. "My word, aren't you a spitfire. No need to bite my head off. I know about that stuff Elaine. What about the rest of you?"

I chose to answer his question with one of my own. "What about you? I heard you're a jailbird like me."

He grinned as he looked into my eyes. What was it about him looking into my eyes that made me feel safe? I had no idea, but I was willing to find out.

"Yup, like you said, a jailbird. I spent 18 months with no probation in a minimum security facility in South Dakota. When I got out I worked for a short season and moved here about 15 months ago. I lucked out getting the job at the Case dealership. Businesses aren't real keen on hiring jailbirds."

I nodded, "But what put you in South Dakota? Is that where you're from?"

"Nope. I was raised in Nevada. An arrogant spoiled rich kid who was too smart for his own good. My Dad owns a string of fast-food places as well as some nicer dining facilities. I never knew a day of going without until I landed in the klinker. I'd been caught with pot and alcohol several times throughout high school. But my rich old man with his many lawyers always got me off with community service and a fine. A fine paid by the old man. It wasn't until I was going to school in Sioux Falls that the proverbial shit storm I called life came to a screeching halt."

He took a swig of his beer and continued. "School always came easy for me. I was lazy through high school doing only enough to keep from failing. I seldom did homework or participated in class but would ace the tests. It wasn't until my senior year that I buckled down enough to get my GPA above 3.4, which was enough to get me into a lesser-known college. I didn't want to go to college, but I wanted to work for my Father even less."

I was confused, "Yes, but how did you end up in South Dakota?"

He grinned and held up his hand, "I'm gettin' there. Hold your horses. The summer between junior and senior year me and three other guys went on an extended road trip. Which included seeing Mount Rushmore. From there we spent 4 nights in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. We partied and had a blast with some kids we'd met from campus taking summer courses. That's when I decided to try and go to school there instead of somewhere close to home. And that's how I ended up in South Dakota."

He turned it around with his next question. "Are you still on probation?"

I nodded, "Yes, I have three weeks left and I'm a free woman again. Thank God. I regret what happened between Brian and me, but not enough to ever go back to living like that. You already know what put me in jail. What about you?"

"Long story short. Since I was always good with numbers I chose finance as my major. It was boring as hell which lent toward my incarceration, not the studies, my attitude and boring life. I was at a party where some people were smoking weed and started complaining because there wasn't enough to go around. I knew where to get lots of pot, Las Vegas, and I knew the right people. I started selling, got caught with a huge amount of dope and got tossed in the pen. I thought my dad's money would keep me out. Not so."

"Didn't his lawyers represent you?" I asked.

"Nope. I was told by my mother that they were done covering my ass and it was time to take my medicine. I clearly remember the day I was sentenced. The judge looked at me and sighed. Shook his head and looked down before looking up staring at me. This is what he said.

"I've seen your record son. It's a disgrace. You aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy. This time your scrawny behind is going to jail."

"Thankfully the public attorney got it reduced to 18 months in a minimum security facility. My life took a turn for the better when I had six months left. Because I was short term, had a good behavior record and obeyed the rules I became eligible for a work release program. I was finally hired by a guy with a tree trimming business. He would pick me up at 8 and have me back by 5 if he had work for me."

"So that's where you learned to do the stuff with trees? While you were in jail?" I asked.

"Yeah, to a degree. After being discharged from prison I worked with him a while. I knew it wasn't going to be an everyday job and I needed more income, enough to cover my bills. That's when I started looking for a better job, which ended up being the parts guy here in Harrisburg."

Wow. I learned more in fifteen minutes than I ever thought I would. He was so calm about it, as though he had accepted his mistakes, faced them head on, got back up and was determined to keep going. The very same things my folks had been telling me for over a year. Why did it seem to have a greater impact listening to Cliff than listening to my folks?

We spent the next 20 minutes with me talking about how I would like to go to school for accounting and tax work. There was a two-year program through the local branch of a tech school in Sioux falls that I could attend. I wanted to be through with probation before I thought about doing that. On the way home he said if I started classes and needed any help to let him know. He had three years toward a college degree in finance and he might be able to be of assistance.

As he walked me to the door our hands brushed, I wanted him to take mine in his so badly it almost hurt. I thought he was going to say goodnight at the door and be gone. I was surprised when he asked if he could kiss me. My answer was to raise up and put my lips on his. The kiss was soft, tender, and somehow passionate at the same time. We pulled apart, gave each other a quick smooch and stood back.

"Can I call you tomorrow, Elaine?" He asked.

I couldn't resist the opportunity, he'd opened the door, I seemed obligated to walk through.

"I would love that, but I'd rather you just called me Elaine like everyone else. I work from open until noon. Any time after that."

We both chuckled at my response as he walked away. I was walking on air when I went into the house. Mama smiled and patted the couch next to her.

"It went well?" She asked.

"Wonderful. I'm gonna go to bed, I start early. Goodnight, I love you. Is Daddy still up?"

She grinned, "Naw, I wore him out earlier, he's out for the night."

I knew exactly what she was talking about. Brian and I had experienced a few of those nights before it all went to hell. My attire changed when I stepped out the front door the next morning. Four inches of snow greeted me with more falling. I'd been so engrossed in getting ready and thinking about Cliff that I didn't look outside before opening the door. A quick dash to the closet for a heavier coat, scarf, mittens, stocking cap and boots. Got to have those boots. I wondered if Cliff might be plowing somewhere as I walked along.

The snow reminded me of the turn my life was taking. Like the first snow, my life was about to change as well. The soft flakes momentarily resting and then melting on my cheeks caused me to smile. Yes, this was a new beginning, one I was determined to make work.

~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading. Part 2 is finished and edited. It will be submitted a few days after part one is published.

R410a
R410a
2,969 Followers