Riley's New Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There was more of the same on Sunday until lunchtime. After lunch she drove almost 300 miles return to visit the gravesite of her deceased lover for the first and last time. Riley figured as Tom was gone there was little purpose visiting the grave again. She wanted to see it to capture the memory and use the visit to say her final goodbye to ensure peace of mind.

Riley had chosen to visit the grave late afternoon because Tom's uptight parents, the Parkes, who had never accepted her, particularly the mother who had treated her despicably after her son's death, The could be expected to visit the still recent burial site immediate after late morning church and she could thus avoid contact with them.

At the grave site, Riley left flowers and for half an hour strummed some of Tom's favourite songs on guitar.

"Omigod,' she said in awe to the sky. "I feel that I'm beginning to let him go."

Riley arrived back at the hotel late at night.

She walked across to a small park that was not locked at night and it appeared to be deserted.

Softly sobbing at times, she played one of her and Tom's favourite late night tunes on the guitar,' While My Guitar Gently Weeps', written by George Harrison. She played it over and over until she, leaning back on the park bench, she fell asleep.

Riley awoke just after 2.00, still clutching her guitar.

She sighed, and murmured, "How sweet' I strummed myself asleep."

And then jumped off the park bench with a start.

"Omigod, I have my induction at school later this morning. Fuck. Don't panic. Go to your room and flop on to the bed after setting your phone alarm."

* * *

Approaching the school just before 8.00 on Monday morning, Riley thought the design of the school looked 'classic-modern' or would have been described as that some 60 years ago. Today is just looked like a tired monolith spoiling the pristine countryside.

Building maintenance appeared to be two years behind schedule, that is, providing the property committee had a maintenance schedule.

Nearing her new school, Riley said aloud, "Now avoid being elitist and picky, Miss Ranfurly."

She patted her blonde hair to ensure most hair was in place. She mused not to worry that the school might not be built as substantially in stone and slate as were the English schools she knew. After all, it was possible to effectively teach education in a structure made out discarded apple boxes. Who had expressed that theory to her, she had no idea.

The buildings appeared quite grand from the distance, and she approached the school nervously,

Omigod, the school was defended by a gatekeeper.

He dropped the hand that was signalling her to stop and came to the driver's open window.

She quipped, "Good morning Jules, I admire the gatehouse to this medieval school."

"The school is not evil, the so-called gatehouse is actually the gatekeeper's shelter from inclement business and my name is Charles, not Jules. You can't have business here because you are too young and too pretty to be a school teacher or school aide, and your car is too flash to be parked within school grounds as it could be vandalised."

"Have you got rid of that mouthful of words, Jules."

"It's Charles," he said stiffly.

"I apologise Charles, please direct me to the vandal-proof parking area assigned to teaching staff and whenever I approach your gateway, I'll flash the lights of my flash car, stand aside and let me through unimpeded. Do you get that?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Charles, we are equals, more or less. You call me Sweet Riley, one of the new teachers, and I'll address you as Charles as I sweep by. Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am."

Riley signed and drove off at the indicated 10 mph. She had no wish to run over Headmistress on her first day of joining the teaching crew at Golden Queen School.

"Park under the new Assembly Hall where it's marked teaching staff only ma'am," Charles called.

Riley waved out of the window in acknowledgment, hoping that Charles wouldn't interpret that as an obscene two-finger gesture.

The teacher's parking area was full. Well, most teachers would be residential and they'd be at Headmistress' regular 7 am Monday morning pre-full assembly weekly briefing. Private schools were permitted to start staff meetings as early and run them at late into the evening as they wished. That was one of the few downsides of aligning one's self to a private school compared with being constrained by teaching in State-owned schools.

She parked in a space clearly parked Bursar, the school's professional administrator. There were only two persons that Headmistress would treat with high respect on her patch, and they would be men with thick necks and soup-stained ties called the chairman of the school's board of governors and the school's Bursar.

Parking in his space would ensure he got to know Riley emphatically on her first day of being on Headmistress' patch.

Back on the quad, Riley entered admin building not expecting to meet the Bursar because he would be a 9 am starter.

She asked the receptionist if she could sign on.

"Are you Miss Ranfurly,"

"Indeed, sweetheart. But please call me Riley."

The skinny clerk asked in disgust, "Are you Lesbian?"

"Certainly not," Riley said, horrified by the attempt to tag her as such on her first day at Golden Peach.

"I'll fetch the school's manager Mrs Smart."

A grim-faced older woman appeared at the counter alongside her female flunky.

"Why are you attempting to register as a new-start teacher here?"

"Hi, Mrs Smart, and a very good morning to you. I would have thought I should register as part of procedure of my induction."

"Well it's not. Tradition has it that new-start teachers begin their physical attachment to this school by first attending assembly where first item on the agenda is for Headmistress to introduce any newcomers to the school."

"I received no advice about that procedure."

"Are you too thick to deduce what our tradition is?"

"Oh bollocks, Mrs Smart. You lot appeared more screwed up than the bureaucracy of any Government office. And why I have the attention of you two, has it ever occurred to you that it could be the administration and all students who are inclined toward lesbianism whereas it could be the teaching staff who are the purists and morally upright people?"

"What? How dare you accuse us all of being lesbians."

"I certainly did not. I stated has it occurred to you two that it could be the administration and all students who are inclined toward lesbianism. Reflect on the words 'could be'."

This is correct Mrs Smart, those were her exact words," said the clerk.

"Look, it's all been misunderstandings."

"Daisy here..."

"Her name is Gladys," Mrs Smart said, sounding far less sure of herself.

"When I approach Gladys at the counter, she made no attempt to introduce herself or even say 'Good morning' with a smile. Instead, she asked was I Miss Ranfurly?"

"I attempted to lighten her up in a friendly manner and replied, 'Indeed, sweetheart. But please call me Riley.' She replied stiffly, was I Lesbian. I was shocked and denied the unfounded attack on my character."

"Is that a fair representation of what was said between you two, Gladys?"

"Yes, Mrs Smart. According to my recollection, it's a very fair summary."

"Please apologize to Miss Ranfurly sincerely."

"I am so sorry I didn't greet you and confused myself when being addressed as sweetheart. Will you want me fired?"

"Goodness no, of course not. I accept it was a matter of misunderstanding and the air is cleared fully, as far as I'm concerned. But I suggest you talk to Mrs Smart about receiving more training on interpersonal skills. Thank you are helping to sort this out, ladies and in future I hope to curb my loose use of the word sweetheart."

"I agree our misunderstanding have been settled, Miss Ranfurly. And I trust that you will enjoy your tenure with us as a teacher. We in admin here attempt to run smoothly and in the main we have few hiccups in delivery of our services."

"Yea, it's all behind us," Riley said, holding a fist high and Gladys replicated that salute, while Mrs Smart managed to smile lightly.

They exchanged goodbyes as Riley began heading off to the Assembly Hall.

She was almost there when she heard the loudspeaker announcement.

"Would the person whose car is parked in the Bursar's reserved parking space please remove it immediately and report to the school's manager."

Riley thought oh shit, her plan to make herself memorable to the money-bags Bursar was coming unstuck.

As the message boomed out again, she thought oh, not necessarily.

She called the gatekeeper.

"Charlie it's the blonde with the black BMW you chatted to sweetly earlier this morning. May I call you Charlie?"

"Yes, providing you don't disclose that I authorised you to do so."

"Charlie, call me Riley. I've learned that thieves are soon to make an audacious bid to steal my car. If a tow-away truck appears at the gate, could you please turn it away and threaten to call the police if they refuse your legitimate demand."

"Aw, I don't think I would be authorised to do that, Riley."

"Omigod, you say my name so beautifully."

"Well, you've arrived as one of the brightest personalities we have around here."

"Oh Charlie, how sweet. Look, limit my request to last until midday and then you'd be in the clear. Please Charlie, just for me?"

"I've told Tony Potter about you."

"Oh, and who is Mr Potter when he's at home."

"The school's only credible ladies' man whose nickname is 'Prowler'.

Riley let it rip: "Charlie, I'm sure the ladies around here would favour you ahead of that creep if you cast an eye in their direction."

"Cripes Riley, not a word about that thought. My wife would pin me to the kitchen wall with a nail through my throat if she heard a rumour that I have a reputation around here with the ladies."

"Right, Charlie. My lips are sealed. You are doing me a favour and I repaying it by keeping my opinion to myself that the older ladies around her could easily be attracted to you."

"Thanks Riley. You best dash, as in 30 seconds the 9 am bell rings."

"Oh fuck," wailed Riley, as she hurried to the entrance to the Assembly Hall marked Staff Only. "I'm late for my inauguration, I mean my introduction to the masses, I mean to the staff and pupils."

Headmistress, who appeared to be large enough to eat a late newcomer alive, was calling, booming through the speakers, "Miss Ranfurly, for the final time, "Where are you?"

"Here, Headmistress," yelled Riley, her yellow dress flapping as she ran on-stage with a hand attempting to hold her well-groomed hair in place when she tripped.

Huge Headmistress stepped forward and held out her arms and caught the falling late-comer successfully, being knocked back a couple of feet by the impact.

Headmistress said loudly, "My word dear, aren't you in a hurry to be with us."

She beamed as the slightly shocked assembly of around 825, burst into booming laughter at her humour and what was happening in front of them.

"Girls and staff, hush please. Please ease Miss Ranfurly's big wobble induction as she'll know she's in big trouble."

She released her clutch on Riley, who stood back, patting her hair back into shape and clearly was shaking.

"Oh, my goodness, Miss Ranfurly has decided without authority to attempt to set a new

style for female staff at Golden Peach School," she said, eyeing the hem of the yellow dress in front of her.

"Is it torn?" Riley asked, bewildered.

"No, but give me just one good reason why you alone should wear your dresses just above your knees when every other female on staff must abide with the traditional school policy of mid-lower leg dress length?"

Riley straightened, turning to inadvertently display her shapely legs to the girls and scanned the three rows of school teaching staff and aides at the rear of the stage.

She faced her tormentor.

"That answer is easy Headmistress. I appear to be several years younger than everyone seated behind you. Therefore, I respectfully urge you to grant me permission to wear my dress length just above the knee on the grounds that at my age symbolically represents the transition of senior students moving toward possessing womanhood."

A roar of approval erupted from senior girls and spread until it because almost thunderous.

Headmistress stood silently until the din ceased.

"I'm in a pickle here and this assembly of the new term had had an unusual wobbly start. Very wobbly, I have to say. Reminding myself that I am unmoved by spoken eloquence and the obvious discovery that my new recruit appears to have a good brain for one so young, this is my decision.

"Everyone, this new teacher is Miss Riley Ranfurly, born and educated in England but she is not unfamiliar with New Zealand and has taught here at a country high school. Miss Ranfurly, in return for me granting you this one-off concession to wear a higher dress length of just touching the knee, you must submit to some kind of reasonable public punishment from this assembly of girls.

A senior girl leapt to her feet and called, "Miss Allen, Miss Ranfurly is an English teacher who is an accomplished violinist and guitarist, according to details still on the website of her former school. I have my guitar here, let her play to us and try to move us."

"Very well," Headmistress said after three other girls who stood to suggest punishments were shouted down.

"Glenys, take Miss Ranfurly to the supper room to allow her to tune your guitar to her liking and to become a little familiar with it whilst I make my usual announcements at this meeting. We will have to skip our first class-period of the day. Goodness, in 18 years I have never know just one person to disrupt our morning assembly so comprehensively as Miss Ranfurly."

Even that produced a mass cheer.

Glenys and Riley returned 10 minutes later and sat at the back of the hall until Riley was called to the stage to perform.

"This punishment is very appropriate for a school heavily based on music," Headmistress said. "My fingers are crossed that it's not that punk rubbish."

Someone booed and just a glare from Miss Allen was sufficient to end any further interjection.

"Miss Allen, may I let my hair down. It's how I like to be when engaging in music."

"Of course, dear. I'm rather stunned how you are manging to ring permissions out of me."

"It's the sort of technique one develops even as an amateur musician."

She let down her hair and gasps were very audible at the sight of her fully fledge femininity.

"Hush girls please, or else move off to detention."

Even Headmistress appeared slightly shocked.

"This is a number written by George Harrisons of the Beatles and refined a little by no other that guitarist Eric Clapton. I played it as recently as yesterday, several times, in beginning to let go of someone who had been very dear to me."

Not even a shuffle or a cough could be huge from that large audience.

The title is, While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

A few muffled sobs sounded. Riley began playing.

She was rewarded by huge acclamation and Headmistress strode forth and patting Riley on the shoulder called loudly, "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant."

Riley left the hall after receiving congratulations and/or welcoming comments for other teachers and Mary Andrews, who would be her department's personal assistant.

Riley crossed the quad (courtyard) to face the formidable Mrs Smart while switched her phone back on an found only a text message.

'Charlie here. I turned away a towie who said he'd come to take away a black BMW. I convinced his that he was on a mission of deception, that a gang of thieves was behind a fake call to his company commissioning the collection and impounding of the BWM. He thanked me for assisting him in taking part in the scam. He said the cheeky bastards had told the company the Golden Queen School bursar required the vehicle to be impounded.'

She replied, "Thanks Charlie, brilliant work, I owe you one."

Riley blushed, hoping that Charlie wouldn't think she meant sex in returning the favour.

Instead of a blunt, 'Oh it's you again' Mrs Smart produced something resembling a smile and said, "Oh, how did your introduction to school go?"

"Quite well, I believe."

"My office windows facing the hall were opened and for a time it appeared assembly was in bedlam and including a mighty roar of laughter and relaxed, knowing you were there and must have told Headmistress she needed to lose heaps of weight. And later I caught catches of incredible violin playing. Did you enjoy it?"

"Yes, the player was good."

"Better than good, I believe from the bits I heard. Well, come through and we'll get this signing on over. Something tells me it's likely you'll become a real asset to this school. I don't usually offer this, but would you care for a sherry."

"A sherry, what's that?"

Mrs Smart looked at the deadpan face and said, "You brat, I bet your grand-parents have a glass sherry every evening before dinner."

"Yes, that true unless my mother is there pouring white wine into them both."

"God, Riley. You are unstoppable."

Riley left the admin building thinking she'd have to return to hunt out the accommodation officer and found her allocated assistant Mary waiting for her.

"I'll take you to your apartment. I'm puzzled why they transferred June Adams, a senior teacher from there into visiting teacher accommodation last night to make way for you."

"I suppose it's because I am a senior teacher and they've push big responsibilities on to me in taking the unaccustomed role of the badly injured Head of Music."

"Oh, and they couldn't do worse because the seven other instructors don't have the management skills to organize a party in a brewery, even as a group."

"Eight teachers in a music department. How many students pass through the department each week?"

"Almost 500 including returnees."

"Holy shit."

Looking around furtively, Mary said, "Watch your mouth, swearing and blasphemy are almost hanging offences around here."

"Surely not, we are approaching a quarter way into the 21st Century."

"Well, Riley, if I may call you that. Generally, that's indicative, but some things barely ever change and around here that means many things. You'll have to attend chapel on Sunday evenings, it's compulsory."

"That's sick."

"If you say you are agnostic, you'll either be put in stocks, nah, and pelted with over-ripe fruit and vegetables. Nah, just kidding. But you will be place in the Sinner's Pew along with lesbians and girls guilty of minor offences such as petty theft. Those deemed guilty of serious offences are declared excommunicated and dumped outside the school gates, with sufficient money to get them home."

"Omigod, I just remember I may have committed a teeny offence. My car in is the Bursar's reserved parking space."

"Omigod, so the culprit was you. Nothing could be done to remove the vehicle in case the alarm went off while assembly was on. Come on, you can move it into our head of Home Science's parking space as she's in India at present completing a diploma on authentic Northern Indian cooking. Our parents' liaison committee suggested Indian cooking as an optional subject and the Board of Governors agree and have funded the venture. The night cleaner occupies that space until 7.30 am

They found a guy standing guard over the illegally parked park.

"The gatekeeper was right," he said, eyeing Riley, up and down. "You are a stunner."

"Bruce, shut your mouth and get back to moving the grass."

Bruce ignored that and called someone on the phone and said, "I've intercepted the culprit attempting to sneakily drive away. I'm forcibly holding her here."