Riley's New Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Damn, she sighed, thinking she needed yet another responsibility as much as she needed to bang her head on a brick wall.

She then read the Appeal Letter to all Residents and Tenants of the Warburton District, named in honour of the daughter of the Chairman of the County Council at that time, Sarah Warburton, a nurse on a hospital ship that was blown up by battleship gun fire at night in 1917, with few survivors. The letter was signed by Barry Isaacs, civic fund-raising organisation convener, the town's volunteer acting fire chief, pending recruitment of a permanent fire chief.

Riley's heart skipped a couple of beats. She had not been on a date yet with Barry although it was agreed that it should occur when she was guest at the Isaac's home recently. Perhaps they would now come into contact through their fund-raising activities and when he was reminded what a classy looking chick she was, perhaps he would grab her in both hands, err figuratively.

Riley yawned, thinking she wouldn't mind having him playing with her breasts once she knew him better. She went to sleep with that fundraising update letter clutched to her chest.

At 5.00 next afternoon, Headmistress (she was addressed like that by everyone) with Riley in tow, entered the No. 3 meeting room one the Admin Building.

Listen up, everyone," Miss Allen said, taking the seat at the head of the table. "Riley, grab a chair and find a gap around the table."

"Miss Riley Ranfurly, as you all know, is a new English teacher here but due to recent events, she is acting Head of the Music Department, and during the fine job, according to all reports and I and also my deputy have checked her out in action and were duly satisfied, or rather, most impressed."

"As chairman, under meeting rules of procedures for committees at this school, I have enacted my prerogative to nominate one committee member without reference to anyone, and here she is."

"Miss Ranfurly, as any teacher recruited to this school possesses, has strong leadership tendencies. But not only that, I've noticed she gets things done with verve, is quick to identify and attend to problems and appears brimming with ideas."

"She is here to suggest our musical contribution to our fund-raising activities that, at our last meeting, we decided will be held here in our quad, decorated for the occasions, with our gates open to the public. Admission will be limited to holders of pre-sale tickets, to avoid giving our gatekeeper a possible seizure of the possibility of having what he calls the riff-raff into our grounds (laughter)."

"Ah, here is our School Chairman arriving."

"Good afternoon, Mrs Downing."

"Good afternoon Headmistress and everyone. Sorry for lateness but traffic delayed me on the way here. I had difficulty getting past a trotting horse hauling rubber-wheeled buggy, actually the only vehicle on the road but I had to keep behind it on that windy stretch until we got over Mullins Bridge. Oh, I see a new face at the table."

"Yes, Mrs Downing, this is our temp Head of Music, Miss Riley..."

"Oh, hi Riley. My daughter Alice-Joy is one of your violin pupils and tells me you are a honey in every way and can even play the violin and strum the guitar like a pro. I see you certainly look like a honey in every way. Trevor and I have noticed Alice-Joy is playing her violin with increased confidence since she's been under your tuition."

"Thank you, Mrs Downing," said Headmistress. "Riley, our chairman is a former Head Girl a and like you also holds a Masters' degree in Music. She is the wife of the chairman of our county council and won the Woodward Cup for Music in her final year at this school, her tutor being the celebrated professional pianist, Millicent Smart who passed away two years ago. Please give us your thoughts on what the Music Department might to able to contribute to our entertainment programme."

"Thanks Headmistress. I only learned of my elevation to this committee late last night, but have some thoughts and one emerged just now."

"Looking at the school chairman, Riley said, "Ma'am, do you still play the piano?"

"Call me Kate," said the chairman causing quite a gasp around the table and even Headmistresses raised high her eyebrows.

"Are you proposing what I'm thinking?"

"Yes."

"No, I can't do it. Although I play two or three times a week for my own pleasure, and accompany Alice-Joy at the end of her formal practice sessions, I'm not the good amateur musician I used to be."

"To eliminate that concern, I'll arrange for Elizabeth or Rona to be on call in the piano studio from this Saturday and every Saturday and on say Wednesdays as tutors to help get those fingers going and your old zest to play flowing again," said Riley.

"No, I can't."

Riley said sweetly, "Everyone, should our school administration committee chairman play at our fund-raising event?"

"Yes," chorused the group.

"Very well," said the chairman, her cheeks appearing pinker. "I know I'll regret that decision."

"Rubbish," said Headmistress. "A quitter will have never become a head girl at this school and I've never seen any evidence of you being a quitter in the years I've work alongside you, Catherine."

"This is feekin' bollocks," snorted the Irish-born long-time immigrant.

Everyone roared in laughter.

Riley, still on her feet, said, "Ma'am, you're a good sport. How about this as a compromise: You play your first piece of your choice, and then after cries for an encore, as I'm sure that will occur, I'll come on stage with my violin and we'll play that guaranteed crowd-pleaser, 'Danny Boy."

"Promise?"

"Yes, Kate."

Riley wound up her contribution by saying, "I have two more suggestions. The first is having the Drama Department present its preferred choice and then combining with one of the choirs to present a comic and yet heavy dramatic short play interspersed with brief choral commentary between scenes with the players off stage between each scene. I would think Mrs Munro, Head of Drama, could come up with something already written over the decades, or even centuries using that dramatic technique."

"The second suggestion will require deep thought. Instead of staging our entertainment one afternoon, why not at night with suitable lighting of the courtyard. I could present a stunning evening. Thank you."

Riley sat amid stunned silence.

Headmistress said, "Yes, that suggestion has stunned me. It raises production difficulties but..."

"But challenges that can be overcome," said the school chairman.

"Yes," nodded Headmistress. "It will require great thought and consultation with tech people. Who was the clown who invited that blonde to our table?"

Everyone laughed and Riley sat grinning, holding her hands together above her head, turned palm upwards.

Just before the closing of the meeting, Headmaster asked the meeting to choose someone to join her and Mrs Downing to go to the meeting of the committee organising the appeal set-up by the County Council.

Two committee members were in favour of committee member Jeff Hawkes, a science teacher, one of only three male teachers at the school, while six expressed support for the nomination of Riley to accompany Headmistress and Mrs Downing, who was deputy chairman of the appeal's organising committee, appointed by the County Council.

"Then it's you, Riley," said Headmistress, raising eyebrows at referring to a teacher by her first name.

The indominable Riley appeared to be cutting a swarth through school tradition and it didn't stop there.

After the closing of the meeting, the School's Admin Chairman called, "Riley, could you come with me and Headmistress for supper. I want to hear more from you about this burden you have placed on me and my aged artistic talent."

Riley heard the manager of school resources say, "Why isn't a Kiwi teacher standing up and leading like this English import is doing, and the answer was, "Riley is a natural leader and anyway, she's a late-start Kiwi because she holds full New Zealand citizenship rights and has been naturalized."

Riley smiled and thought what a load of rubbish, as really, did it matter?

Three days later. Riley came face to face with Ryan Issacs at the appeal organising committee.

He and Headmistress chatted and when she turned to introduce Riley he said, "I already know Riley from her heroics in the last-gasp race to pick the last of the premium peaches before the hailstorm that turned out to be a fizzer when reaching this far north. My father invited her to dinner with our family recently."

"Oh, in that case I'll leave you two young people to chat briefly," Headmistress said predicatively.

"Hi, gorgeous."

"Hi, cute man.

"I've been unusually busy."

"Understandably."

"Will date you soon."

"I'll be ready. Bye."

During the meeting, Headmistress asked Riley to report on the last meeting of the school's fund-raising committee.

She presented details efficiently and concluded, "A committee member suggested we stage our event at night in the quad at school, instead of in town here, by pre-ticket sale admission only. This suggestion is being investigated closely as it raises technical problems, but none are expected to be insurmountable. School can be expected to be behind our concert 100 per cent."

An elderly man in a brown checked suit and wearing a tie interjected, "Surely the word 'school' should be preceded by the definite article 'The' or is that considered nit-picking?"

"No sir, I as a recently arrived teacher with an Arts Degree in English, and am aware of the correctness of insertion of the definite article in such a situation. Nevertheless, it is school tradition to drop the article in two instances, when referring to the Golden Peach Boarding School for girls in shortened form simple as School with a capital 'S' and secondly, when referring to the school headmistress simply as Headmistress, with the 'H' capitalized."

"Harrumph, he snorted.

"Indeed sir, and I understand the position where you are coming from, and many traditions do appear to be somewhat ridiculous or out-dated over time. Conversely, in institutions where some traditions are revered, they could be regarded as part of the glue that holds some of the founding past to the latest generational advances."

"I understanding what you are explaining, Miss Ranfurly. But in acknowledging that doesn't mean I have shifted my stance one iota."

"Understood, sir. That is what underpins our acceptance of the need for free speech in a democracy."

"At least we agree on that, Girl. I must say you are impressive as an advocate,"

"That completes School's report," Riley said, and was clapped warmly, included by the nit-picker, then stroking his moustache.

Ryan took Riley aside at the conclusion of the meeting an id said, "What an impact you made on the group as a new addition to the group. I guess we all thought you'd just sit there mutely."

"Headmistress took the opportunity to throw me into the limelight because I appear to have adopted this fund-raiser as a personal mini-crusade, I guess."

"Have you?"

"I appear to be rallying to the cause."

"Would you accept an invitation to join our executive of which this committee is a larger off-shoot?"

"Um, if invited yes, but please don't over-expect in contributions from me."

"No of course not. Um would you come with me to enjoy a barbecue on a beach 15 miles from here on Saturday evening?"

"Um, involving just you and me?"

"Please wait a second and I'll text my sister."

"Ninety seconds later, Ryan said, "My sister will be happy to join us. I understand your surprise at being asked to go to a remote beach with me on our first date when we really don't know one another yet. I admired your courage in about to accept, I believe, but I then decided to turn it into a 'gooseberry date' and invite Fleur along as well, and she's accepted and agrees she should get to know you better as well as me. Are you happy with that arrangement?"

"Yes, and a gooseberry date with a third person involved is a great way to start our relationship, if we are destined to have one."

"Oh, I hope that we will date regularly once this fund-raising is out of the way as my role as chief organizer is taking up much of my free time. I have to fit everything around my work as a civil engineer, and everything is going smoothly at present."

"Well, Ryan, we diverted to pass the new fitness centre on the way here, and it certainly is nearing time for the fitting-out to resume. Our fund-raising efforts require all shoulders to the wheel, eh?"

"Well, expressed," Ryan said, patting her on the shoulder and saying "I shouldn't kiss you in front of this lot, at least not yet. I'll call you later tonight about the executive's decision on my recommendation to add you to its ranks. I'll also give you a time to go over to our family house on Saturday and I'll collect you and Fleur there."

"Right, the must go. Headmistress will be waiting, Riley said, reaching up and kissing him on the cheek.

"Being kissed doesn't mean the sky will fall in," she giggled.

He stood, looking astonished.

"You have gall," he said quietly as she began walking away.

Riley mused as she walked to the car, that fate had meant she'd lost a true love, and that could not be undone. It appeared obviously she was ready to begin a new relationship with a guy. There is nothing standing in the way to stop her embracing Ryan in deep friendship, at the very least.

True, but the situation was about to change.

Riley arrived back in her apartment at 9.45, Thursday, and minutes later her phone rang.

"Ryan," she breathed happily.

"Hi, Riley. You're home. It's Catherine, or rather Kate to you and my family and friends.

Riley replied hiding her disappointment, "Hi, lovely to hear from you. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, oh sorry that I'm calling so late. My son who has been working in the South Island has been transferred to manage the larger Auckland office of the company he works for that manufactures electrical connection and switching products and distributes its products throughout the country and to seven island nations in the South Pacific. He is dropping in here on his way to Auckland by road and we are having a dinner for him on Saturday. When his call ended a few minutes ago I suddenly thought of inviting you to join us."

"Why me Kate?"

"Omigod, you are sharp and direct."

"I've been like that since I was a child."

"Ah, yes. Well, Donovan says he'll be popping down here every second weekend and I thought it would be lovely for him to have a female around his age to dine with him on one of the nights he'll be staying here as he'll be here from late afternoon Friday and will fly out again at 7.00 on Monday mornings."

"But he'll know many women around his age from his earlier days here."

"Yes, but most if not all, will be married by now as Donovan has been away for eight years. Sadly, his girlfriend in Christchurch abandoned him because she doesn't wish to leave her family or her current employment."

"Oh dear, well yes I'll accept the invitation as I would like to meet you socially and your family."

"Oh, marvellous, Riley. You have made such a big impact on me, I must say."

The call ended with Riley shaking her head and thinking that woman was attempting to line her up as a prospective daughter-in-law. 'Such a big impact on me', plus son coming nearer home plus his girlfriend had dumped him... it all added up.

She checked her phone for missed calls, and muttered, "Kate's been deceptive. Rather than just coming off the phone to her home-coming son, as she had said, Katie had unsuccessfully called Riley every 30 minutes between 6.19 and 9.45!

Riley smiled and thought perhaps mothers could be deceptive in the best interest of their children.

When she awoke next morning, Riley found a phone message: 'Riley the Sneaky Kisser. Your addition to the executive received 100% approval. Congratulations and thanks for being willing to pitch-in even further on the fund-raiser. I'll pick up at my parent's house, 6.00 on Saturday along with Fiona. Bring warm clothing. R. xxx'.

She replied. 'Understood. xxx.'

She smiled thinly, thinking she was secretly trifling with two men and that was termed two-timing. She shrugged and told herself it would provide her with a useful comparison.

As Riley drove to the Issacs' house she thought two-timing would be a new experience for her. She could bail out by telling both guys that each had current competition in associating with her.

But no, she was content to allow things to drift. She wasn't seeking to be courted or even to develop a deep relationship with either guy. Encouragingly, the situation had made her even more aware that she was ready to resume having a love life. If one or even both of the guys wanted sex, they could get lucky.

Chapter 5

Riley enjoyed the early evening picnic at the beach. She and Ryan Issacs' sister Fleur greeted each other excitedly and warmly hugged and Fleur watched her older brother deliver a chaste kiss to the cheek, approving of that couple's crawling development of their relationship, knowing her brother was a cautious engineer.

Riley had been hoping to see Barry Issacs and his delightful wife Veronica but Fleur said, "Mum was disappointed at not seeing you again Riley but they were invited to early dinner with friends almost 20 miles away, before going with their friends to an evening horse gymkhana (equestrian) event where their son would be one of the top competitors. Mum sends her love and I'm beginning to think she favours you ahead of me."

Riley laughed and said rubbish.

"Your mother and I simply share a close interest in music and with your mother being a teacher at Golden Queen until she became pregnant after her marriage, means that we also share our teaching roles as another common interest. Just remember, blood runs deep."

"Yeah, and thanks Riley, I guess you've adjusted my proper perspective on it."

The three of them sat on the bench seat of Ryan's pickup, with Riley in the middle.

"Twelve of the 15 miles will be rough unsealed and winding road, but with you two yapping like females tend to do, you will scarcely notice the bumps."

"Then let's go in my car."

"What, have the paintwork chipped and the softer springing of your vehicle taking a thrashing?"

"On reflection, let's continue in this vehicle," Riley said.

The three of them laughed, and they were away happily.

At the beach they chatted, sprawled out on the big rug Ryan had spread on the grassy bank a metre above the sand and after finishing her glass of wine, Fleur announced she was going off for a walk along the water-line.

When she disappeared around the nearby headland, Riley said, "I guess she's been discreet" and Ryan nodded.

"You may kiss me properly, if you wish."

"Yeah, thanks," Ryan said, moving in and pulling her roughly to him.

Riley sighed.

It was 9.00 and dark when they returned homewards.

Later, driving home to Golden Peach School, Riley thought that in the main, the evening had been worthwhile. While Ryan had acted as if he wished to be judged a write-off, being rather conservative and providing minimal contributions to the conversation, in contrast, Fleur had been bright and lively and she and Riley had bonded so well that Riley became aware she'd made her first real friend outside of School.

She would have liked Ryan to had risen to that category as well, but as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers. Perhaps Donovan would star?

* * *

Riley drove to the Downing's small life-style block on nearby flat farmland and, driving up to the modern homestead, noticed that the property was stocked with sheep and she saw two ponies and the barking on her arrival indicated there were also dogs. Kate had told her that Rupert, her husband, was the only lawyer who worked permanently in the nearby servicing town.