Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A voice that was eerily similar to Malgora's suddenly spoke, real and alive, behind her.

"Forgive me for interrupting your grieving. It means much to me that you came straight here. I worried I might miss you if I waited, though."

It was Iringoll. Gorlana stood and turned, and looked upon her. At that moment, her cousin appeared even more truly as Malgora's daughter, seeming to have aged more than the past year would account for. Gorlana wondered if she bore the same look.

As Gorlana wiped her tears from her face and sniffed, Iringoll gave a soft sympathetic smile, "I can wait outside the doors if you need more time, as long as you promise me you'll stop to talk."

Gorlana shook her head reassuringly, "That's fine. I simply wanted to see her and pay my proper respects." She paused and almost hated to ask, but she had to, "Do you think she was poiso-"

"I don't know," Iringoll interrupted curtly, clearly not wanting to discuss it. "I know nothing more than the healer. I only made it to her death bed just before she died. She could no longer speak at that point." She tightened her mouth and successfully fought back tears, but Gorlana could sense the effort.

"I wish I could've been there for her," Gorlana said.

Iringoll shook her head, "I doubt any of us could have made a difference. She was older than most when they die. Perhaps it does not matter how or why she passed."

"Doesn't matter?!" Gorlana spat in anger.

Iringoll gave her a calculating stare, "I'm surprised you dote on the issue as much as you do, considering who the prime suspect would be if it WERE discovered to have been poison."

Gorlana almost snarled, "I KNEW you would try to suggest the Rechlingers were to blame."

"Do you trust them so fully now, that you are so certain of their honour?" Iringoll asked with an almost mocking tone.

Gorlana sighed, "I trust my judgment of their competence and tact, and what I am certain of, is their inability to accomplish something as covert as a poisoning."

"Perhaps not they themselves, but arrangements could have been made, with someone else."

"Who among us with that skill would betray themselves, to ally thems- Do NOT look at me like that!" Gorlana took a challenging step towards Iringoll's raised eyebrow. "I won us an ally from an enemy, to fight WITH us. FOR Orthalia. I keep Traulch on a leash however I can-."

Iringoll scoffed in disgust.

Gorlana continued, "...instead of ignoring them to let them grow into the threat they would be. Had I done nothing they would be marching independently for the Goathorn chair themselves."

Iringoll crossed her sturdy arms, "Are you sure that is not still their goal?"

Gorlana looked away uncomfortably. "It would turn precedent on it's head."

Iringoll gave a bitter chuckle, "As if that hasn't already happened with everything around us."

"They will attain nothing higher than Traulch as my mate if I am queen. Which is more than they ever have," Gorlana insisted stubbornly. "If you refuse to see it for the damage control it is, and wish to accuse me of treachery or worse, than go ahead and do it."

"I will accuse nothing. I respect you well enough to know your actions were in good conscience, even if I disagree with them," Iringoll said. "As for my mother's death, I will not make any damning suggestions at the moot. Though I cannot speak for Faringoll."

"And what IS your sister up to?"

"Arriving fashionably late evidently. Arriving nonetheless though. The front of her forces will cross into the valley likely within 4 days. Though they are oddly spread out and will take several days to fully arrive by the sounds of it.

Gorlana raised an eyebrow.

Iringoll sighed, "We'll get more reports in the next few days as they approach. I wish I could tell you whether she finally figured out how to keep a trick up her sleeve, or if it is simply incompetence and a struggle to organize her forces properly that has waylaid her. Honestly, I think both are equally likely."

Gorlana scoffed and smirked, "She was never was one for subtlety or cunning."

Iringoll chuckled as well, "No. She could never hide anything from us. Though perhaps we rubbed it in too much and she's finally figured out how."

For a moment it almost felt like they were teenagers again on the streets of Orthanhall City, and Gorlana gave a more settled smile, "She is wise enough, and has a good heart. She simply wears it on her sleeve."

Iringoll sighed and placed her heavy hand on Gorlana's shoulder, "It is good to see you again cousin."

Gorlana's smile twisted in regret, "Even like this?"

Iringoll shrugged, "We always knew this day would come. If it helps ease the frustration of our arguments in this moot, know that my choice for Queen would be you, if it cannot be me. As much as I love my sister."

Gorlana nodded in appreciation, "I would say the same to you." Then they started up the long stone stairs out of the crypt. Gorlana chuckled, "Have you said the same to all three of us?"

Iringoll scoffed a laugh and gave her a hard elbow, "No! I'm not fool enough not to know that one of you would surely talk and I would be found out. I told Zurgana to her face she has not the wit or self-control to be queen. I was not surprised that SHE adopted the other Rechlingers, and I fear they worsen her still. When I told her that her self-absorbed, violent version of honour, and the war she would wage, would ruin us and leave the survivors to starvation, she nearly drew her sword on me."

Gorlana sighed in resigned agreement, "Yes, though I do sympathize with her more than you; with her desire to restore our glory. All the valour in Orthalia won't matter though, if our bellies are empty and the blacksmiths have no iron."

"Exactly," Iringoll said, "Malgora's armistice saved us just in time from that, but now, with our own battles against each other... Too many fruit and nut harvests went untended this season. Too many of the goats remain pastured out in the hills as winter begins. We've ruined ourselves now, on our own, without needing Andralia's help."

"Does the city still have stores?" Gorlana asked worriedly.

Iringoll shook her head, "A fraction of what it had. I tried to get my own chiefs not to neglect their provisioning, but the fighting was intense everywhere, and took all of their effort and attention. I know Zurgana did not. She would take that temporary advantage to the detriment of the realm."

"Perhaps that is what delays Faringoll. If she made sure all of her clans and regions made a full harvest and packed their stores before winter. If she arrives with a massive cart train of food, that would bolster her favour greatly."

Iringoll squinted her eyes in thought, "Perhaps. I suppose we would be wise to hope, even if it would threaten our standing. Is that why you let her be and didn't accost her from the south as you travelled here?" she asked almost mockingly.

Gorlana gave a sour smirk, "No. I had my own issues to deal with."

Iringoll snorted. "Yes... and so I have found out that it IS true. You really do have General Lightbrew as captive. How in the deepest hells did you manage that, Gorlana?"

She shrugged. "Luck."

"Yakshit," Iringoll spat in doubt, then continued when it was clear Gorlana would not elaborate, "In any case, have you at least decided whether he is a boon or a danger?"

Gorlana gave a long pause, "No."

"Nor have I." Iringoll said softly. "As we both know, we do not have the resources to resume our war. Perhaps, if over the winter some of the goats can be found and led down before the snows build up. The frozen berries and fruits that can be mulled might be gathered. If the Rechlingers can share their ice-fishing harvests. If we can send warriors into the less freezing mines to work through the winter. Then, perhaps we might not be in an altogether dire situation by spring. I pray the humans don't know this. And I pray harder that a ransom without sparking war might indeed work."

Gorlana nodded, "That has been my hope,"

They opened the door at the top of the stairs, to an open-aired entrance-way on the west side of Orthanhall. The late afternoon sun was already nearing the horizon, another light dusting of snow sprinkled the roofs of the houses beneath them, melting quickly, but the cold biting wind was a harsh reminder of winter's closing fist.

"I don't suppose you'll tell me what your plan for that might be?" Iringoll asked.

"Plan for what?" A voice called out to their right. Zurgana stood up from casually leaning against a stone pillar and strolled towards them, but with a suspicious set to the hard lines of her face.

Gorlana and Iringoll both slowed their pace and stiffened slightly.

"Everything," Gorlana said, then glanced at Iringoll with a squint eyed look, "And no."

Iringoll snorted, then turned and nodded to Zurgana, "Cousin," she said with a flat respect.

"Gorlana," Zurgana said with an unwavering stare, "Did you sneak in here simply to have a secret chat with Iringoll before anything else?"

"It's good to see you too Zurgana," she replied sarcastically, "And no, I simply was paying my respects to Malgora. I had planned to save my discussions for the moot but you both seem eager to get a head start."

"Not all matters have been settled between clans that need to be, before the moot can begin," Zurgana said.

Gorlana frowned, and asked, "What do you mean?" turning to Iringoll who rolled her eyes and crossed her arms in impatience.

Zurgana gave an odd smile, "The Rechlingers. They remain divided."

"As they have CHOSEN to be," Gorlana argued. "The Northwesterners and Northeasterners are split-"

"They have never been COMPLETELY split. They have not traditionally designated two high-chieftains."

"They change their structure with each new feud! The only thing consistent is the inconsistency of their 'traditions'."

"Does your lover know that you speak of them this way?" Zurgana teased. "And have you been too busy enjoying his cock to find out anything about them? ...lying on your back more often than not I imagine-"

Gorlana lurched towards her and her insulting words.

"Stop!" Iringoll commanded. "Zurgana what is the point of this? You gain nothing from her rage."

"I don't judge really," Zurgana smiled slyly, turning her retreating steps into a saunter to the side. "I've sampled a few Rechlinger men myself over the past few weeks. They like it quick, but it's a tasty little battle, especially when you win their seed and they go stiff all over in that suddenly obedient way. You should try it Iringoll."

Iringoll spat, "Gorlana does what she does for Orthalia at least. Not simply to inflate her ego or serve her self-indulgence."

Gorlana turned in surprise at Iringoll's defence of her.

Zurgana squinted her eyes and replied, "I think, like me, she recognizes the kind of battle-strength Orthalia needs right now. I will admit the Rechlingers are more harm than good in times of peace, but contrary to what you cowards insist on, this is NOT a time for peace. How CAN it be when a quarter of our land lays in the hands of HUMANS!"

"And you would have your army chew on rocks while it marches to regain them?" Iringoll asked derisively.

Zurgana stomped her foot, "I would at least try! To do justice! To give them what they deserve! Unlike you and the ridiculous mercy you've granted that snivelling general you've dragged here."

"You would kill him and throw away a piece of such value?" Gorlana replied.

"I will WIN our country's honour back. Not BUY it! That is a human's way. Though I might expect it from one who carries your flaws!"

Gorlana snarled and suddenly reached out to grasp Zurgana by the throat and caught her hand just as Zurgana's claws shot back towards her ear.

"Enough!" Iringoll insisted. "Save it for the moot. Though if you think that kind of personal attack on her past will mean anything to anyone other than your Rechlingers, I think you will be disappointed, Zurgana."

They backed away from each other and Gorlana spat, "It's the only arguments she knows, she lacks any other ideas."

Iringoll raised a cautionary finger and Gorlana simply ran a hand over the point of her ear while Zurgana cleared her throat.

"I came here," Zurgana rasped, "Not only to remind you of truths you deny, but to inform you that I have called a council of chiefs, for tomorrow."

"Why?" Gorlana asked sharply.

"As I said. The Rechlingers need to have words. Certain... problems need to be addressed, and we must all be there to address them."

"Somehow I doubt it's WORDS the Rechlingers plan to exchange. We should not have them stain the stones of Orthanhall with their blood. Let them fight it out down in the bogs." Iringoll suggested bitterly.

"What problems?" Gorlana asked with a suspicious squint.

"That is for them to say. I do not need to tell you all that Wulva has shared with me, but I assure you the matter is important. At least to them."

"And this must be done before Faringoll arrives?"

"Yes. They have insisted it happen immediately, ever since yesterday when you arrived. I have convinced her to hold off until tomorrow."

"And you will not even tell me what is to be discussed?!"

"As I said. Wulva's Northwesterners and Traulch's Northeasterners have matters that need settling. We have both agreed that their split is not long established. I suggest you attend with these allies you have chosen, if you wish to maintain their honour."

Zurgana turned to leave.

Iringoll scoffed, "Still as cryptic as ever. I warn you Zurgana, if you spill unneeded blood in the hall, you will win NO honour among our chiefs."

Zurgana turned, "I promise you. I do not intend to spill any."

Gorlana frowned at her emphasis on that sentence, and turned to Iringoll who shrugged and shook her head.

"I have no clues to offer you Gorlana. These are the risks you took with your choices," she said, with an almost pitying look. "You'd best return to your camp before nightfall, and find out what you can."

Gorlana shared a more respectful final nod with her, then turned to watch Zurgana continue to walk away confidently in the distance. She turned with a sigh and headed down the hill, meeting Carthala and their guards, then finally set off, feeling like she understood less than when she had arrived.

...

Roderick opened his mouth, hoping no pranks might be pulled, and accepted what he hoped was orcish porridge into his mouth. It was, thankfully. He chewed.

"Hmm," he hummed in concentration as he chewed. "You did well. Only used the INNER bark of the normig this time, like I had said. That's the part they dry into a spice, the rest is bitter. That's why it tastes better this time. Could still use a touch more salt and honey, but altogether not bad."

"Not bad!?" The Orc spat. "This is the best burl-nut porridge I've ever tasted in my life!"

The other orc scoffed, "He plays coy and holds back his praise I think."

"Why would you? It is YOU who suggested the different ingredients, and by the storm-gods you were right! Is it somehow STILL not as tasteful as Andralian food?!"

Roderick chuckled behind his blindfold and shook his head. "Hey, don't get down on yourself. It's definitely the best food I've had so far during this kidnapping."

"Why are you not a cook? If you hold such wisdom of spices and flavour?"

Roderick held back his scoff wanting to keep a good thing going with these two. Instead he shrugged and smirked. "I'd probably find it boring. Look, You did pretty well. Each time gets better."

He sensed an air of satisfaction from his two almost-friends, who he still had never seen or heard their names.

Then he said, "Is the colour right? Let me take a peek and see."

To his surprise he felt a hand next to his blindfold but then gasping grunt and a laugh when it was quickly pulled away.

"HA! Nice try."

"Gah! He almost had you!"

"We're supposed to strike you for that you know..."

"Hrmfh, let it be. No more porridge for you though!"

They groaned in satisfaction as they each gobbled some more. Roderick leaned back against the pole, he put more weight on his leg, finding it slowly able to take more each day. Soon he should be able to do away with the splint, but it would still take time before he was walking normally. He habitually pulled at the ropes around his wrists, thick callouses now developing over them where it rubbed. They had become slightly loose again. If he worked at them... He sighed at the thought. Not for the first time. Then what? Surrounded by an Orcish army, not just deep in central Orthalia but right in front of bloody Orthanhall... It was even more futile than before. Could he even leave without her? Knowing the troubles it would cause her? His conviction that he would endure all of this for her sake had in fact started to wane over the past couple of weeks; barely hearing or smelling her, his only solace from Carthala's reassurances. Now though, as Orthanhall loomed, he began to fear in earnest what he might be about to face.

For right or wrong he trusted Gorlana, and mostly trusted her influence over this army. They still only gave him barely enough food and water, only the measliest of cold shelter from the ever more frigid winds, and he would give up both for days if they would let him stretch his stiff aching shoulders from being perpetually tied down. There was more talking though. Both from them and from him, with Carthala, and Torvrul, with the two curious orcs with him now, who always came back with more questions. All seeming harmless. He kept telling himself he was learning more than them and the information he gave them wasn't of any military or political use. Yet... were they affecting him more than he realized?

"There's not likely enough honey or normig bark to do this with all the meals though," on of the orcs said.

"To the hells with that. I'm not sharing this stuff with everyone else."

"So, what else d-... oh. Your, um, girlfriend is coming."

Roderick cringed, regretting, not for the first time, having taught them that word. It meant that Carthala approached.

Just as he caught her scent as confirmation, she spoke, "I'm still not sure I like how much time you two are spending-..." she sniffed. "What, by the ice-demons, are you eating?"

"It's a new-... none of your business," the orc replied.

Carthala grunted in annoyance then he heard her slurp her finger and give a surprised sound, "That's actually... interesting. Be gone, I wish to speak with my prisoner."

"Of course, third-hand."

Roderick heard and sensed them leaving quickly, and felt Carthala standing close, a familiar closeness he had been getting used to.

"Did you teach them to make that?" she asked with wry amusement.

He shrugged, "It's usually made with imported flavourings in Andralia, we get a spice called cinnamon and a special brown cane-sugar from the southern realms. I've found a few things in Orthalia here over the years that are passingly similar."

She let out a low purr, "You know in Orthalia a warrior that can cook what he catches is doubly sought after."

He felt her claws on his shoulder and his abs, sending tingles through him and the beginnings of stirring in his loins. After the past two weeks of deliberate flirting it was almost conditioned into him.

"A man who can cook isn't exactly scorned in Andralia either," Roderick commented. "Honestly though I'm not thought of as much of one by their standards."

She took a long breath in just barely grazing a claw over the bulge in his pants, "A quicker response this time, and your scent for me grows. We have done well. Most of them suspect us. With less judgment than I expected actually. It's almost to the point where I could mate with you openly and not suffer dishonour."

1...7891011...15