Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 05

Story Info
Gorlana travels to Andrapolis, with both realms at stake.
71.4k words
4.9
5.4k
36

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 12/26/2023
Created 12/05/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coax_me
coax_me
332 Followers

I know with the length of this one I might have broken it into two parts, but there wasn't a place that made sense narratively to do so, so I just kept going and you're getting a 2 for 1. Which is part of the excuse for the wait. Hope it's worth it. - Cheers.

...

Recap / Glossary:

Andralia: A human country, across the Rampart Mountains from Orthalia to the west, now in armistice from their long war. Ruled in name by a King near the end of his life, but governed in truth by his daughter-heir Valessa, from the capital city: Andrapolis.

Orthalia: An orcish country, less technologically advanced than Andralia. Ruled from its capital: Orthanhall, by newly crowned Queen Gorlana, who will soon be travelling to Andrapolis to negotiate a peace treaty.

Southern Orthalia: A smaller province formerly of Orthalia but broken off and allied with Andralia for several years now, due to Roderick's leadership. Though he is now trying to shift its governing in the provincial capital (Glenhold) to a council (including Korboq and Nardill) before he becomes prince.

Fringeland: The westernmost province of Andralia bordering Orthalia at the Rampart mountains, and the one most affected by the war. Provincial capital city: Fortspring.

Gorlana: A female orc, but a quarter human. Recently won the Goathorn chair in Orthanhall by amassing the most followers and honour against her rival cousins, in particular by allying with the more brutish Rechlinger clans from the north. She is in a relationship with their leader Traulch, but remains tormented by her feelings for her secret long-lost love, Roderick.

Roderick: A human, from Andralia, originally low-born but risen in rank to First-General, and now to the Duke of Fringeland (his home province), besides still being the overseer of Southern Orthalia (and still 'high-chieftain' in their eyes). He's secretly an eighth orc, and also secretly still tormented by his ongoing feelings for Gorlana, though he is now engaged to Valessa.

Princess Valessa: Heir to the throne of Andralia. She recently orchestrated the rescuing of Roderick from his capture in Orthalia, by uncharacteristically winning the friendship and alliance of two female orcish chieftains.

Darganya - An orcish chieftain from Orthalia. She and Roderick were briefly lovers when they first allied, but she is now good friends with Valessa.

Faringoll - Gorlana's cousin, a high-ranking orc woman who had allied with Valessa in her own attempt for the orcish throne, and one of the most eager for peace/alliance with Andralia.

Zurgana - Gorlana's cousin, a high-ranking orc woman who had also tried for the throne, mistrustful of humans and had allied with the Rechlingers as well.

Iringoll - Gorlana's cousin who almost won the throne before her, but is still on good terms. She is now second in command in Orthanhall.

Carthala - An female orcish soldier, and long-time friend and confidant of Gorlana, who is aware of her and Roderick's feelings for each other.

Torvrul - A male orc-chief from Orthanhall

Traulch - The Rechlinger-Orc leader. He had been poised to invade the rest of Orthalia at one time, and perhaps have his former mate steal the throne, but is now Gorlana's mate under her rule, each of them doing so more for political gain than love.

The Rechlinger clan - a different breed of Orc from farther north, brown instead of green, shorter - not much taller than humans but stockier, and most importantly: less respectful of Orcish honour-codes.

Korboq - Southern-Orthalian orc leader, and long time friend of Roderick.

Nardill - Southern-Orthalian orc leader.

Yendell - Andralian lieutenant, long-time friend of Roderick.

Chasdon - A Noble of Andrapolis, head of the treasury and coin mint.

Dabirra - Valessa's cousin. A portly but prim maiden living in the palace at Andrapolis.

Professor Beleros - A Sage of the College in Andrapolis. One of the few humans aware of Roderick's eighth-orc lineage.

...

Roderick and Gorlana. Part 5.

6 Months Later,

"The mating habits of Homo Sapiens-Orthalis, though shrouded in generations worth of myth and misconception, and a topic for which scholarship is admittedly somewhat lacking, is still by no means a complete mystery. Indeed more similarities than differences will be found in comparison to their human cousins all things considered. The basic anatomy of the genitalia is essentially the same, except for a proportionally shorter but thicker phallus with a more club-like flared glans, and the vaginal tissue involving more elaborate musculature. The main difference is, in fact, hormonal, particularly with the timing and triggering of fertility. Unlike a human female's monthly fertility cycles, and human male's constant fertility, orcs await certain cues, both physical and psychological, and for that matter both emotional and social. Mainly expressed in the form of scent, but that is by no means the only-..." Professor Beleros stopped and finally addressed the student with his hand persistently raised. "Yes?"

"Why do you keep referring to orcs as Homo Sapiens-Orthalis instead of Homo Orthalis? My biology textbook always refers to them by the latter."

The Sage frowned, "Which edition do you have?"

"The um... the second."

"The most current edition is the fourth. Yours is nearly fifty years out of date."

The student seemed to shrink at the quiet snickering from the lecture hall around him, "It's the only one I could affor-... that I could find."

Beleros gave him a more sympathetic frown and said, "Meet me at my office at the end of the lecture."

"The new versions are bollocks, making changes for change's sake," another student said. "Everyone knows orcs are a different species, not this 'subspecies' nonsense."

"Oh? You fancy yourself a taxonomist even after your score on the last exam do you? What scientific evidence do you present for your claims?" The Professor challenged.

"Just look at them," the student shrugged petulantly. "I told my pa they were in the same genus and he said even that was too close to make sense."

The professor lowered his spectacles and gave him a sour stare, "Well then. Let us get our new young prodigy on the road with our next delegation from our College to the Continental University in Parabolis so that he may present his findings to the Biological Academy to declare 'Just... Look at them...' for their amazement and appreciation."

As the other students chuckled around him, the dressed-down student bristled, "Well what's YOUR evidence. My pa-"

"Your father is a land baron and barley marketeer. He is not a Sage, let alone a biologist. The evidence is in fact quite relevant to our topic of discussion. Reproduction. As you are of course aware, the distinction between separate species is most apparent by whether they can mate with each other and produce fertile offspring. A horse and a donkey, for example, are close enough to produce a mule, but they remain separate species since the hybrid mule is infertile and cannot reproduce, thus keeping the populations distinct."

"So half-orcs can reproduce?"

"Of course they can," another student chirped in. "My uncle had a hired man that was a quarter orc."

"Pfft, you WOULD out in Fortspring."

"Quiet!" Beleros intoned loudly and the lecture hall was immediately silenced. "I will not have petty insults in my hall. You are correct that yes, they can reproduce and therefore orcs and humans are NOT entirely separate species. Any number and proportions of orc-human mixes have been documented on both sides of the Rampart mountains over many generations."

"Do they have vigour?"

"...What?"

"Hybrid vigour. You've mentioned in other classes how other organisms when they mix to form a hybrid the offspring is often more fit and resilient. You mentioned mules, but some plants too..." the student's voice faded in doubt seeing the Sage's frozen frown.

It slowly curled into an amused smile though, "Statistically?... We don't honestly know. However I have seen... unpublished evidence, fairly recently in fact, that this may indeed be true."

Roderick saw the professor's eyes flit for a fraction of a second up to him, while maintaining his self-amused smirk. He looked away and stifled an embarrassed eye-roll at the secret compliment. He hadn't thought Beleros had noticed him sneak into the back viewing balcony to listen in on the lecture, but obviously he had.

"Getting back to the matter. As you all should certainly be aware, the most glaring differences between orcish and human mating is of course, signalling through scent, leading eventually to the Rutt. Though it shares a rough similarity with other examples of rutting within the animal kingdom, orcish Rutting is distinct in that it can occur in any season. Its triggering will depend on a number of factors; the compatibility of the mate, the strength of trust and affection between them, an environment of safety, privacy and prosperity. Though most of these are not crucial necessities, but simply factors increasing the Rutt's probability, and some could certainly be outweighed by others. For example a pair with an only mild attraction or compatibility may still Rutt after sharing a stable homestead for long enough, and conversely, an extremely compatible pair with intense attraction could hypothetically Rutt after only a short time or in much less than ideal conditions. The obvious comparison being human's conception of love at first sight, versus love grown slowly over time."

Roderick shifted uncomfortably. He had thought listening in on some of these lectures might help to give him more insight into himself and what he had gone through, but they caused too many flashbacks to a life and events that he was determined to move past. He tried to focus on the words simply as unweighted facts, to simply learn, and let the troubled emotions from the past blow by his sails.

"...Thus the cliche of orcs as barbarians raping and pillaging are at least half-mistaken, as even sex, let alone Rutting typically requires the sharing of mutual attraction in the form of scent, as a trigger from both the male and the female. On that note though, mating behaviour in the form of simple non-fertilizing sex will occur, prior to, or independent of Rutting, suggested to perhaps be a leftover behaviour from when orcs may have reproduced more similarly to humans, though it will always play a major role as part of the determination of the compatibility of a mate, usually becoming more frequent and intense leading up to the triggering of a Rutt."

Beleros paused and cleared his throat, "Yet, these details, though fascinating, are not as important in the 'what' but as ever, the most valuable discussion comes in the asking of..."

"Why," all of the students responded in unison, with varying levels of enthusiasm,

"Precisely!" Beleros replied with a satisfied smile. "So, does anyone want to venture an idea as to why this method of procreation would in fact be advantageous?" There was a hesitant silence, and he gave a sour look of disappointment, "Well is the opinion of the class instead that this behaviour is in fact maladaptive? ...anyone?"

One nervous student finally spoke, "Well, they would have fewer children. So that might be a disadvantage."

"Perhaps," said the professor, grateful for the reply, "Though orcs typically have 2 or 3 children at a time. Your point would still stand, if... quantity, is the most important factor."

Another student raised a hand, "If they only reproduce when conditions are ideal, then there's a better chance of the offspring surviving."

"Very good!" Beleros nodded proudly. "Just surviving?"

"And thriving. Better nutrition if it's in peace time with plentiful conditions, and a partner that's more likely to contribute and stay to raise them," a female student added.

Another giggled and shrugged, "I always thought it was wasteful we had to menstruate every month, orcs sound far more efficient."

A male student nearby gave her the stink-eye but the professor chose to ignore it and replied, "In fact, it IS more efficient, and the leading hypothesis is that this behaviour has been brought on by Orthalia's tendency towards more warlike and austere conditions. Reproduction is a costly endeavour with regards to time, energy and resources, and doing so during difficult times such as war, or famine, especially with an undevoted mate, would make surviving them even more difficult."

"You're all talking like orcs are MORE evolved than humans! They Rutt because they're like animals and we aren't," another student said with a frown and crossed his arms.

"Is that a fact? Which phylogenic kingdom does Homo Sapiens belong to?"

Another student who had been staring flat-faced suddenly raised his hand eagerly, and when Beleros only raised an eyebrow to him, he blurted out, "Animalia!" and nodded proudly over top of the disorganized papers on his desk.

Beleros gave a polite smile at him while sighing through his nose, then turned back to the petulant student, "Yes. And I remind you the class you are sitting in is not 'animal behaviour', but 'comparative sociology'. As you should all be aware, humans are not the only animals who do not Rutt. IF there is indeed that which separates us in advancement, it is very likely not the timing of our reproductive cycles."

"So, could you control an orc with scent?" a student asked. Then continued when the Sage frowned cautiously, "I mean... if smelling a mate makes them Rutt whether they want to or not, is it like brainwashing? Or some kind of uncontrollable instinct?"

The professor shook his head in disappointment, "No, no." he sighed, "I suppose it is good we are getting these misconceptions out of the way. Though the smelling of emotions in orcs is somewhat difficult for us to understand first hand, it is not, in the end, all that distinct from how any of our other senses influence us. Are you, for example, brainwashed into eating an apple pie when the scent of it triggers your hunger? As for attraction, though we use sight and hearing more than smell, even so, does the visual stimulus of a beautiful woman in a revealing dress cause completely uncontrollable instinctive behaviour in a man that cannot be resisted?" he looked askance with a smirk, "On second thought, don't answer that."

There were low giggles and shifting, and he continued, "My point is that true attraction is never truly forced. Therefore, the Rutt, though very instinctive and nearly uncontrollable after it has been triggered, comes about only by shared, mutual attraction, expressed through scent in addition to any other method of communication. The difference is the intensity, not the origin or intent. Orcs could be influenced by scent, just as you and I are influenced by sight or sound, but forced? No. An attraction and a Rutt could certainly happen at an inconvenient time, but only if it is the true deep desire of the individual."

Roderick stared distantly, letting out a breath of weak hope that he could indeed make it through what was to come.

A student spoke up with a snobbish tone, "It still seems like animal behaviour to me. Are we not just talking this way because we're gonna sign a peace treaty with these green savages?"

Beleros put his foot down loudly and finally let his anger bristle fully, "POLITICS... do not dictate FACT. It is beyond debate in the biological and sociological sciences that Orcs and Humans are both intelligent, free-thinking peoples. This is true of any of the humanoid races known so far throughout the world, be it elves, goblins, or dwarves. To call any one animalistic is to cow to political propaganda instead of honest scientific inquiry." He looked around at some uncomfortable faces. "I would ask you, should elves, who are on average more intellectual, soft-featured and peaceful than us, be justified in viewing us humans as animalistic brutes?"

A student scoffed, "Elves are weak and uppity. They DO look down on us. But we're stronger and have better fighti-"

"GODS! Listen to yourself!" Another student interrupted, "Can't you see what he's doing? Now you're like an orc talking about a human!"

The other student opened his mouth to retort, then frowned in annoyance and crossed his arms.

Beleros nodded in satisfaction. "Two peoples whose realms grow and progress in tandem. Each has thought at one point or another that they could subjugate the other as the lesser, weaker race, and perhaps the most ignorant among them still do. Yet, this war and its length and difficulty has proven, if anything can, that we are too close in equality for that to be possible. What options does that leave us then? If not a peace treaty then... destroy the passes? Live in complete isolation again on either side of the mountains? The world grows too quickly for this. Roads and trade evolve ever faster. We cannot live in true isolation anymore. We must come to terms with the world beyond our fiefdom of comfort, and learn to respect the differences that come with it. With their upcoming treaty, our leaders are certainly coming to terms with this. As our ambassadors of higher learning and enlightenment I put it upon you prospective Sages to go out there and help our less educated populace to do the same, if we truly wish to progress into a more prosperous future."

Roderick looked around the room after the Professors inspiring words and saw a mix of faces. Some hopeful and smiling, some pensive and interested, but others angry, and dissatisfied. He knew the world couldn't change in a day, yet it had to change. How much could they realistically achieve at once though?

"That will be all for today," Beleros said. "Those of you who have their booked weekly hour with the enhancer glass in the biology room should hurry along. The rest can return to your dormitory or the library to resume your independent studies. Or, if we do not scare him away too quickly, we also have a celebrity in our midst. The Duke of Fringeland appears to have graced us with his presence, and perhaps could answer any further questions on Orthalia from a more personal perspective if any of you were to ask it politely of him."

Roderick had taken a moment to remember that 'Duke of Fringeland' now referred to him. As more and more eyes settled on him, he held back a wince and gave a short embarrassed wave from his perch in the shadows of the rear balcony. A few gasps and wide eyes and he knew he wasn't slipping away that easily.

"Class is dismissed."

Nearly 20 minutes later the Sage finally shooed away the last of the straggling fan-boys away when their questions became less tactful. Roderick was particularly glad he didn't have to directly answer the question about the rumour of him and 'that female orc chief', and breathed a sigh of relief as they walked off, giving the Sage a bit of a friendly stink-eye as the old man chuckled.

"Consider it the price of admission to an otherwise private lecture, friend," Beleros said. "I would prefer you ask next time, but far be if from me to limit the comings and goings of the prince-to-be."

Roderick shrugged, "I had some free time and... was curious about the topic. It was a good talk. I don't know how you deal with these kids."

"Pfft. Kids. Though they often act like it, the average age is 20 among them. You're hardly that much older."

Roderick frowned "I'll be 30 next year."

The Sage chuckled, "Take a compliment while you can. To an old dusty bloke like me it's practically the same." He put a hand on Roderick's shoulder amicably. "Come with me to my office. I assume Valessa told you to seek me out?"

Roderick followed after him, "Um, no actually I was just genuinely interested in the lecture." he chuckled, "Is that so hard to believe?"

coax_me
coax_me
332 Followers