Roderick and Gorlana Pt. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As their breaths settled Gorlana looked around, "You didn't leave food in here did you?"

She smelled his guilt before he could even respond and smacked him hard in the shoulder. He flinched at the blow and shrugged, "You always make me work up an appetite in here. I thought some butter and bread would be fine."

Gorlana shook her head in disapproval, but held his eyes with a growing smirk and then rested her head lovingly on his shoulder with a blissful sigh.

She looked over at the dead mangled carcass, "Did I overreact?"

Roderick chuckled underneath her, "Maybe a bit," he answered, seeing her give a playfully annoyed look at his sarcasm, and continued, "to be fair it would be the right time for an assassin to strike, while we were preoccupied."

"Exactly," Gorlana said defensively, then gulped, "I've been trying not to be too paranoid as you've suggested, but I still have to be ready for anything."

"I know," he said with an endearing smirk, caressing her cheek along her short tusk, "It's a balance we all struggle to strike." He closed his eyes as she pecked him a kiss of appreciation. Then said, "Though if had been an assassin I'm not sure how they would anticipate the timing, knowing that we would be..."

"An orc would know by smell," she replied seriously. "Even with the tent around us and with the wind, though they would have to get close enough."

"Orcs don't use assassins," he said frankly.

"Rechlingers have," she muttered with a troubled frown. "They have reason enough to want me dead by whatever means. Even if they abandon open war they may never stop trying."

They were silent for a moment, breaths mixing as their faces brushed close and then suddenly Gorlana frowned reading his feelings before he could even think to speak them, and she suddenly dug her claws into his shoulders, "I don't regret a single one of my actions that day," she rasped with sudden tear-stricken passion, "I never will. Don't ever think I will ever regret how it happened when it brought me you. I will fight however many battles it takes and hold off however many assassins that anyone sends, or any other repercussions of it. I will face it without a single second of regret." She shook him softly and pulled him hard against her breasts, "My love." she kissed him, "My life." she stifled a sob and smiled, "My impossible dream come true."

He wrapped his arms tightly around her chest and kissed her, deeply and passionately. They stayed locked in each others arms, in their warm moisture under their furs, as sleep enveloped them in the dark cold night.

***

"Iringoll are you sure? We told them we'd only be a day's detour west but at this rate they'll be at least two or three ahead of us by the time we get back down out of the screes and on to the Andralian roads again," Gorlana said, trying to avoid a complaining tone, but she knew it was her third time bringing up her concerns that day.

"As sure as I can be," Iringoll replied. "Do you really want to abandon this? You might not be able to come through here again for some time. We're both rulers of quickly-changing countries, I'm sure your schedule can't be that much less full than mine."

"No, we definitely want to see the site in person at least once so we can start planning," Roderick said. "How much longer do you think it will be though?"

"It's been years since I saw it, but I know that's Silverhorn peak to the south over there, so it can't be far. Over one of these next few ridges I suspect. That salt flat we saw was a good sign that we're in the right area."

Roderick nodded, and looked across to Gorlana with a shrug, "Good enough for me."

They continued on riding their horses slowly on the narrow path up the screed slope with their small security escort trailing behind. The rubble of sharp rocks both uphill and down from them was lightly peppered with only the occasional shrub or stunted tree.

Iringoll looked around at the stark landscape and looked back at them again, "You're sure this is the best area to build a new regional center? I know the Andralian side is dry and sparse until past the new border, but it's easier to access, and the western slope on our Orthalian border would have more forage and better shelter."

"It's too densely forested with too steep slopes there. There's a reason there's no holds already there," Gorlana said. "It'll be hard enough to make the new road through that terrain let alone a new stronghold or city. Besides that, either of those options is right on the border, this would be better situated within our own territory, even if it is further north than might be ideal."

"Exactly," Roderick agreed, already having gone through it all with Gorlana, "Besides the symbolic reasons, if the Vauroq had their stronghold here for as long as they did, then there must be a strategic and practical advantage, and there must still be some remnants we can put to good use, even if its been abandoned for as long as you say."

"The dwellings were mostly carved into the rock faces where there weren't already cave openings so barring a landslide those at least should still be there. The hot-springs were still steaming when I saw it, but again, it was years ago."

"If the new northern trade road can veer north just a bit, and I can't see why it wouldn't, then we should be able to widen these paths through these slopes and make it pass directly through here."

"Yes I suppose I can see it," Iringoll said. "I'll appreciate the new road going through our territory in the more wild areas besides. It should help Orthalia to make better use of them where we couldn't before. The clans have already been asking w-..." her voice caught and she stopped her horse awkwardly.

Roderick frowned and looked ahead but immediately saw why. At the top of the ridge they were ascending, roughly one hundred paces away up the path, an Orc had just stood up to silently to make his presence known. They stared, unsure of what to make of the unexpected sight. These areas were completely abandoned as far as they knew.

Gorlana's voice was flat but Roderick could sense the concern underneath, "Roderick, your eyes are better than ours, and the wind is in the wrong direction, can you make anything out? I'm fairly sure they're orcish but..."

"Yes it's an Orc, and his skin is green, not brown," Roderick said, and felt their sighs of relief, "I don't recognize any particular tells on the armour for clan or rank though."

"Good enough for me," Iringoll said, then called ahead. "My honour to you, warrior! We come in peace!"

Two more orcs revealed themselves by walking up to his side. Roderick looked back at their ten companions behind them and wondered if they should have brought more.

"You may approach," the orc called down in a gruff, cautious voice.

Gorlana easily convinced Iringoll to let her take the lead, and Roderick hung just behind her, dismounting along with her as they reached the orc just below the top of the ridge.

"Do you represent Rampartia or Orthalia?" the orc asked.

Gorlana replied levelly, "We two represent Rampartia, but there are those behind us from Orthalia as well. To whom do we speak?" she asked, deciding to keep their full identities concealed for now.

"We are guardians of this area protecting our clan's hold," the orc replied, being just as cryptic.

Roderick spoke up, "We mean no threat to your hold. We are seeking the abandoned Vauroq settlement that we understood was near this area. We would be grateful for any guidance if you know which direction-..."

"There is no abandoned Vauroq hold near here," the orc said, and Roderick frowned as his heart started to sink until he realized how the orc had enunciated 'abandoned', then listened as the orc continued, "We reclaim it. In the name of the High Chieftain-King Roderick, said to be a lost descendant of our clan, and his wise Queen Gorlana. They had sent out word petitioning any of our scattered clan to do so and join their new realm. By this we have every right to be here. If you need proof, we saved the parchment letter that was brought to us, it is back in the settlement."

Roderick's face spread in a slow grin and he finally chuckled, "No need. I'm the one that signed it."

Gorlana held out a hand to the orc, who was looking between them with confusion, "I am Queen Gorlana. This is my husband Roderick. I apologize for our caution in not announcing ourselves from the start."

"My Queen!" The orc's eyes and ears shot upward, and then he fell downward quickly to one knee with a deep bow, and turned toward Roderick, "My King! My deepest apologies, I did not know your faces."

"Stand, my countrymen," Roderick said to all three of the orcs, "You impress me, I didn't think any would have already made it to Rampartia, let alone to this settlement. You must have wasted no time. I hadn't mentioned this stronghold in particular in the decree, but I suppose it makes sense you'd come here."

The orc smiled and seemed to study Roderick's face and sniffed with interest, "When my clansmen heard the news it sparked new life to the roots in us that we thought had shrivelled and died. Come, I will be honoured to show you what we have started."

They were led over the ridge and they all gasped as the stronghold suddenly came into view. A V-shaped stone gully leading upwards towards the mountains had a stone wall half-built into a natural barrier outcrop protecting the wide hallway of rock, with dwellings carved into either side, and the light of fires glowing from some of them. Iringoll exclaimed how different it looked with much of the eroded gravel cleared away, and wagons and goats dotted throughout the pathways.

They were introduced to a few other orcs as they passed through the gate. There was no chief among them per se, the Vauroq had been with out one officially for some time, however one older but spry woman seemed to more or less be in charge. She had the air of a wise-woman about her, but insisted to Roderick she had not earned that title. Her first question was whether the Rechlingers had truly been held back and would stay confined to their northern holds. Roderick explained what they had accomplished and the plans for the new reinforced northern border and the old orc's face became a web of wrinkles in a tight relieved smile and a proud nod.

He had already known the basic history, if not the details, of an old and deep feud that kept the Rechlingers driving out any who tried to resettle the area, but never staying to inhabit or use it themselves. With easier access to these ridges from the north than the east or west, and the clan broken and scattered, it had never been retaken. But that could change now, and he was inspired to see that they were already a few steps ahead of him.

There were only a few dozen Vauroq orcs here now, in addition to a few others from other clans that were linked, either through blood or friendship, but more were on the way, they reassured him. Roderick was almost hesitant to explain his vision of turning this stronghold into a large settlement, perhaps even one day a city, not knowing if they would think this a type of intrusion on their land. Their eyes were wide with wonder when he described it though, and the only doubts seemed to be whether they thought it was really possible.

With the new roads though, he knew it would be. It was simply a matter of how big and how successful. He knew Iringoll saw little of use here, and he admitted the Vauroq of old must have been very dependent on bringing in forage and supplies from the lower hills, likely keeping this area as a place of military strategy than for any economic reason. But, there was potential. The salt flats would give them a start, and if harvested carefully could be a reliable boon. The sulphur springs nearby, and even some directly under the settlement could be taken advantage of as well, especially if he was able to get a few sage-alchemists and geologists to survey the area. He suspected a number of other precious minerals associated with them could be found and added to their trade as well.

Gorlana watched her husband describing his vision with an endearing smile. She had been worried she might have to negotiate and debate honour codes with these members of this lost but proud clan in order to fully convince them, but obviously it would not be necessary. She stood proudly, and held his hand affectionately as they were led on a short tour of what there was to see. She felt a new level of certainty about their nation. If they could make this their center of commerce in northern Rampartia, with Fortspring to the Southeast in Fringeland, and Glenhold even further Southwest across the mountains, their new land would do well for stability.

After they shared a basic but hearty meal together, the old orc woman took Gorlana aside, seeming to read her feelings well enough to know what she wanted to ask.

"I'm grateful for the honour you show to my husband," Gorlana said, "Though he is Rampartia's King, many orcs still struggle to treat him like any of us."

The woman smiled slyly, "Oh he's more than just any one of us," she retorted, "You say this, yet I imagine you are wondering of me a very specific question about his blood."

Gorlana fought off a blush, "He is my honoured husband and Rampartia's proud King either way, but... are you able to tell? Do you think he is truly from the Vauroq line?"

She studied Gorlana and finally replied, "He is an eighth Orc only, and of that I doubt the whole slice is from us Vauroq. The keenest sniffers would be hard-pressed to have true certainty working only with that," she read Gorlana's disappointment and continued, "Still, if you say his grandmother knew to cherish the Dirge of the Red Stones... and if my eye isn't just imagining the look of his ears and nose. I think there is almost certainly some part there."

Gorlana smiled and nodded, seemingly willing to leave it at that, but the woman added, "Even so. In our clan, as with any other true orcs, honour is earned, through deeds and words, not through the pretense of one's birth. With us standing here now, home, and able to stay, he has already given us more than any leader for generations. If he keeps his word, we will adopt him as high-chieftain, or 'King' if you insist, regardless of what any other orc claims to sniff on his blood."

Gorlana took a deep shuddering breath and gave a harsh proud whisper, "Thank you." and returned a hand placed on her shoulder in respect.

They returned to the gathering, and after being drawn a map, showing a shorter path southeast out of the screes towards Andralia, agreed to stay the night before heading off again with new optimism in the morning.

***

Death and sorrow filled the air. Tears and grief.

There was a chemical as well that Roderick wasn't sure of, that tingled his nostrils in an unpleasant way. Gorlana was clearly more bothered by it than he was, with her more acute senses, but it was hard enough for him to keep from rubbing his nostrils as they sat quietly in the funeral hall while the music played. Valessa's father, the former King of Andralia had died not that long after she had left, evidently, and the Sages had to be more generous with the embalming fluids to keep his body from deteriorating as they waited for her to return for the funeral.

Roderick wasn't sure if they would have waited for him and Gorlana had they not caught up with Valessa and the rest of her company on the road back to the city. Thankfully the better route and a bit of extra effort had made up for their Vauroq detour. He looked to the front of the grand hall at Valessa, head lowered in her black dress. She was still the image of slender female perfection, only as a silhouette of one now. He wondered whether she would have taken offence had they not made it to the funeral, or not have cared in the slightest.

"By the bog-demons I should have asked for some sentsfoil," Gorlana muttered beside him, though with a rigidly placid face.

Roderick smirked for a second, then pursed his lips and squeezed her hand, "Don't be ridiculous. I wouldn't have let you. I still can barely forgive myself for ever subjecting you to that in the first place."

She all but rolled her eyes, but squeezed her claws on his strong hand and leaned her head against his, "If I regret nothing then neither should you. It brought us together," then after a long pause, "I wasn't serious, I wouldn't have actually."

Roderick smiled and turned to peck her a kiss. He shrugged with a smirk, and whispered, "You could've worn a veil and hid some nose plugs under it, I suppose. Might have seemed over the top though."

Gorlana giggled and turned to gently nibble his ear and bury her nose in his hair, "I'd use your musk to cover it up but it's driving me wild lately," she moved her claws from his hand to his thigh, "I don't know if it's just being back in this palace, and the memories-..."

Roderick felt a strong tapping on his shoulder and turned to Korboq next to him.

"Lightbrew, Dabirra has just elbowed me extremely hard in the ribs and glared at you two. I can smell her annoyance and concern. I know she can't make out your mating scent, but I suspect that kissing and talking during the ceremony is perhaps thought of as dishonourable to the Andralians, though I would think you would know better than I."

Roderick gulped, "Yeah, you're right, we were trying to stay quiet, we'll stop. Thanks Korb."

His big green friend whispered in full earnest, "Would it be dishonourable for you two to leave and find a room in which to mate? Then return when you are settled?"

Roderick sighed, "We'll... be fine. It's alright, thanks."

Korboq finally nodded and leaned away, but Roderick heard him whisper blatantly to Dabirra, "My love, I reminded him of his honour. I think they did not mate before the ceremony like we did, and are finding it hard to control themselves. They were likely rushed to get here."

"Thank you deary, hush now." Dabirra whispered quickly to him.

Roderick and Gorlana exchanged a chastened glance and continued to watch the ceremony. No one else had seemed to notice them, and he noted a few others whispering often enough. They sat respectfully as the music and eulogy continued, though their fingers did not stop dancing and embracing together. Perhaps Gorlana was right and it being back in the palace was triggering certain exciting memories.

...

That night, they reclaimed their Rutting Den.

As soon as they had entered into that same guest room, the visceral memories, either through residual scent or simply through being there again, flooded back.

After the feast they had been led by Darganya to their guest quarters, and she had evidently smelled their reactions to entering the familiar room, saying there would be a low key gathering and music in the ballroom, but it would not go late into the evening, and strongly implying it would be no dishonour if they did not make it back for that, with a knowing smirk before she left.

They had looked around the room, newly furnished, but unmistakably the same, then looked at each other for no more than three deep breaths of silence, then rushed into each other's arms.

After their clothes had been discarded as frantically as they could without tearing them, they were on the floor, neither even considering the bed, either out of disinterest or not wanting to break it again.

Roderick knew he wasn't truly Rutting again. That would not likely happen for at least a few more years, but they absorbed the fresh memories of their breeding grounds and let it drive their bodies to venerate each other and the life-bond they shared.

They clutched and grappled tightly as their backs scraped and hips pounded along the hard stone floor, tossing and turning without a care, any pain forgotten and outshone by their blinding pleasure. Their scratches and abrasions eased off as the floor became slick with the sweat of their endeavours, and the wet flow down Gorlana's powerful grasping thighs.