Rosie's DUI Court Appearance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She put her head into her hands and cried again. In an attempt to calm down, she stood and paced. She couldn't be caned and yet the thought of taking her clothes off in public was too horrible to bear. She had very nearly fainted having to take get dress off in here and the things Ms Gale had made her do made Rosie cringe.

"Hey. Take the cane. You're going to melt if they do the humiliation thing to you" The voice broke into Rosie's thoughts. She looked up. It was the stony faced woman in the next cell. Rosie looked at her, shocked and unable to respond for a moment. The woman was older than Rosie by maybe ten years, but wasn't dressed like that. She wore a leather mini skirt and a top that did nothing to hide the woman's ample chest. She spoke with a scottish accent, which Rosie took a second to decipher.

The woman repeated herself. "The way you just messed about just because you were naked, there's no way you can do an exposure punishment," she continued.

"But I can't take a caning!"

"You're going to get something painful. There's no way you're not, so you might as well just take a bit more and be done with it," the woman persisted.

Rosie's mind was racing but she couldn't form her thoughts logically. The fact she had a choice was throwing her completely.

She'd seen pictures of people being subjected to corporal punishment in the media, everyone had, since the Corporal Punishment Act came into force a couple of years ago, but she'd never imagined it could be her. In the pictures she had seen, the punishment wasn't always with people watching, but the people being punished were always naked.

There must be another way. Yes, she'd been stupid. She couldn't believe how stupid she'd been. Surely though, she didn't deserve this -- nothing actually happened, she didn't hit anyone or cause any damages. She couldn't be seen by people she knew, if anyone from the university saw her, her career would be over. Was her career worth more to her than avoiding the pain? It would hurt like hell, obviously. Surely though, there would be no permanent harm done -- the government who brought this in weren't barbarians. People got caned all the time. They can't all be going around scarred forever more.

She began to think hard about what kind of thing she had seen been given out as punishment. She'd never really paid attention before. There was whipping and caning, definitely. She was pretty sure she'd seen back whipping like in the old days and caning on the bottom. She knew girls could have their boobs whipped too. At that thought her hands went involuntarily to her own breasts. She'd seen people tied up outside naked for other people to look at. The thought of that happening was appalling to her, and she'd never stopped to look, like so many others do. What she did know though, was that was absolutely no way someone sentenced to an exposure type punishment, could possibly hide their identity. So that pretty much made her decision for her.

Rosie had been a lecturer for 3 years now and had got a permanent job at the university in the city just before lockdown came. She had studied day and night to realise her dream job and there was absolutely no way she could let it slip through her fingers by being recognized and the students sniggering and laughing at her. That would be entirely untenable for her.

So there she had it. If she wanted to keep her job then she had no real choice. She just hoped the magistrates would go for it. Rosie knew that she was going to be disqualified from driving too. Her solicitor had been clear on that. She was going to have to tell university what had happened, but if she could avoid the public punishment, she wouldn't be bringing the university into disrepute and so would probably keep her job.

She couldn't get her mind off what was going to happen to her. It was obviously going to hurt, but she could get through it.

She began to think about what Stacey would be doing. The last time she saw her was through the window of the police car as she was driven away.

Ms Gale arrived at the cell door. She didn't bother to open it this time, she simply looked in through the bars at Rosie.

"Have you made a decision?" she asked.

"Yes. I want to take the corporal punishment please. I can't afford to lose my job if I'm seen being punished."

She couldn't believe she'd just said 'please' as she'd been asked to be punished. This day was ridiculous!

"Ok. I'll go and write my report and you'll be called to court in due course. I probably won't see you again, so good luck."

With that, Ms Gale turned and walked away.

Rosie was left in her cell, immediately regretting her decision and beginning to panic again. She felt as if she was going to vomit again. The woman in the next cell looked on without comment or any outward sign that she had even been listening.

Rosie lay onto the bench and began to cry silently. She had made her decision and for better or worse, she was heading into the unknown and it was scary. On the other hand, she hopefully had avoided anyone from the university finding out and therefore would be able to take the punishment, learn from it and put this whole sorry mess behind her.

She assumed she'd be released today and couldn't wait to get back to get flat and into a nice warm bath.

Stacey came to mind again, Rosie imagined her here in the cell, lying on the bench and giving her a hug. She imagined what the feeling of Stacey's soft skin would be like. Despite her situation and the stress she was under, but because she had been up all night, Rosie fell to sleep.

***

She had no way of knowing whether she had been asleep for two minutes or two hours. She looked around her to find her next door neighbour gone with the cell door left open.

As she looked around, she heard footsteps and saw an officer coming towards her. "Rosie Thompson. They're ready for you. Can you stand up please?" the officer said.

Rosie sat up and then stood up. She tried to control her breathing and took a gulp.

The officer opened the cell door, stepped back and indicated for her to follow.

"Step out of the cell please and hold out your hands in front of you".

As she did so, she unclipped handcuffs from her belt and snapped them around Rosie's wrists. They were heavy and unforgiving. They held her wrists slightly apart with solid metal where there was usually a chain. She wasn't able to clasp her hands together. The officer used a key to click a switch on the cuffs, but Rosie had no idea what that did.

"Ok. This way please."

Rosie and the officer walked back along the corridor in the direction Rosie had come earlier from the city room. The officer didn't hold her arm and was a respectful distance from her and if it weren't for the cuffs, Rosie could have believed the officer was a receptionist escorting her to a meeting room.

They got to the door at the end of the corridor. The officer unlocked it and ushered Rosie through. Rosie found herself back in the stairwell with the lift doors right in front of her, while the officer checked the door was locked behind them.

"Are you ok climbing the stairs? It's only one flight and the lift takes forever," the officer asked.

"Yes, no problem" replied Rosie and she once again took in her surroundings. It was totally utilitarian. Perhaps like the back stairs in a shop or office building that the public don't get to see. It was clean and smelled faintly of floor cleaner.

The officer pointed at the stairs heading up and Rosie began to climb. It felt awkward to do so with her hands cuffed together in front of her, but the steps were wide and shallow and were easy enough to negotiate. In about thirty seconds the pair were up to the next landing with another door.

The sign on the door said in bold no-nonsense black letters 'Court Room 2'. The office inserted her key into the lock and pulled the door open. She indicated again to Rosie and allowed her to step passed her into the dock she stood in before. The guard stepped in behind her and fussed for a second unlocking and removing the handcuffs. Rosie spent a moment absently rubbing her wrists and then took in her surroundings.

She saw her solicitor, and the blonde prosecution solicitor in the same places as this morning. They were chatting again. Rosie took in the bench, set slightly higher than the rest of the court room with three empty chairs. Above the middle chair, the Royal crest hung on the wall near the ceiling. There was another woman she didn't recognise in the court room this time. She was dressed formally but more like Ms Gale than the solicitors in the room.

There were some people on benches at the very back of the room and as Rosie looked through the glass of the dock and angled her head for a better view, her heart skipped a beat.

Stacey was sat there, looking at her with a very concerned expression on her face. When their eyes met, Rosie could tell she had been crying, but was clearly trying to be brave for her. Stacey smiled and Rosie's heart skipped. She's felt a huge rush of gratitude that Stacey had come and then shame when she realised she was dressed the way she was last night and that she had just been handcuffed in front of her friend.

Stacey mouthed the word hello, but just as she did so, Rosie's attention was grabbed by the man in the court calling "all rise," before the door opened and the same three magistrates walked in, all holding a set of papers.

The same procedure as before happened and the three people got themselves settled into their seats. The man at the front of the court waited for everyone else to sit down again but just as Rosie was about to sit, the officer gripped her elbow firmly but gently to indicate she should stay standing.

He continued, "Your worships, appearing again before you from the this morning's list is Rosie Thompson, for sentence in the matters of driving with excess alcohol and no insurance. I believe you have all read the sentencing report?"

"Yes indeed," replied the lady who was in charge, sitting in the middle.

Rosie's blood had run cold and she had begun to shake slightly. Her stomach had tied itself into a knot and she knew it was upon on. Here it was, the time had eventually come. Her fate rested with the motherly looking woman looking across at her from the elevated position at the front of the court room.

She glanced down into the court room. "Miss Robinson, I assume you've read the report and that you have no further comment?"

The blonde prosecution solicitor stood up "no ma'am, I have read the report and have nothing further to add, unless you need anything else from me?"

The magistrate looked left and right to check with each colleague who both shook their heads.

"No thank you" she replied. As Miss Robinson retook her seat, Rosie glanced at Stacey again. She found her looking directly at her. Stacey had got changed and clearly had had a shower. She looked her usual well kempt self and was wearing an outfit considerably more appropriate than Rosie herself was wearing.

"Mr Ericcson, I assume you'd like to make representation?"

"Your worships, I have read the report," her solicitor said as he stood up, "I don't have a lot to add. I would simply observe that my client is a professional who was of previous good character having no convictions to her name before today. I have noted that the report addresses the issue of Miss Thompson's employment and I would urge the court in reaching an appropriate sentence to address the severity of my client's offence, to consider that also.

"The purpose of sentence is to punish but also prevent re-offending. I would respectfully suggest that making my client lose her job maybe counter productive to the second point."

Rosie wasn't sure he was actually helping. Although he was using words that were perfectly easy to understand, she couldn't appreciate where this was going. She glanced over at Stacey who was still looking at her and smiling. It was such a comfort to have her sat there with her, even if they were separated by the glass of the dock.

"My client, Miss Thompson would like to express her remorse to the court for a momentary lapse of responsibility that has led her to be before you today.

"It is my respectful submission that this matter does not warrant prison time and rather is ideal for a disposal under the Corporal Punishment Act. A short sharp punishment that will limit the wider implications in relation to her career, but will serve as an unpleasant experience that Miss Thompson will remember in the future and ensure she does not trouble the court again.

"Unless I can be of any further assistance, your worships." and with that, her solicitor sat down.

Rosie felt incredibly awkward being the only person standing again. She felt as if all eyes were on her and she moved her arms across her front protectively in a natural, unconscious gesture. In practice, no one had actually spared Rosie a second glance. For them this whole case was entirely routine.

There was a slight murmur as the three magistrates whispered with each other, the solicitors were sat working on their laptops, other people were sat in court who Rosie assumed had nothing to do with her. And then the was Stacey who was sat at the back, still looking at Rosie and trying to transmit her concern for her friend.

The lead magistrate cleared her throat to get attention. "Ok. Miss Thompson, pay attention please."

Rosie turned to her, made eye contact through the glass and nodded to indicate she was listening.

"You are charged with two matters today, both of which have risked public safety, and the court takes this seriously. To balance that slightly, we have noted that you pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

"We have read the report that has been prepared downstairs and are persuaded by the argument that you are a professional with no previous convictions who has made a silly decision."

Rosie was hopeful that this meant she was going to be released today. Surely having just said that, they weren't about to send her to prison.

"That said, you must be bear the burden of that decision. We are minded to go with the recommendation in the report and will not be sending you to prison today.

"The test result of your alcohol test last night is high and as such, as I believe was indicated this morning, this is a level 3 offence which attracts corporal punishment as a sentencing option for us.

Rosie swallowed. She kind of knew this was coming, but that last sentence had still filled her with dread.

"We have noted the report has advised of your reluctantance during the punishment consultation and have decided that we can reduce the severity of corporal punishment by utilising an exposure option, balancing that with the concerns about your career. We have no desire for you to become unemployed as a result of this."

Oh no! Rosie had just about managed to come to terms with the idea she was going to suffer pain, but she had just about convinced herself that people wouldn't have to see. She hung her head and began to cry again.

"Therefore, we will make an order entitling you to select punishment in a district of your choice, but you will be punished in a session with some invited witnesses.

"For the offence of driving whilst over the prescribed limit of alcohol you are sentenced to 20 strokes of the cane to your abdomen in a manner prescribed by the secretary of state."

There was an audible gasp from Stacey at the back of court and Rosie took step back like she had been physically assaulted by the words. But the woman continued.

"This punishment will be conducted at an approved centre with invited witnesses.

"For the offence of driving without insurance you are sentenced to a period of exposure of 1 hour with the addition of your breasts being bound in in a manner prescribed by the secretary of state, to be concurrent with your caning."

Rosie sat down heavily. Her legs just couldn't take her weight anymore. What on earth had just happened to her? Her mind was foggy and she couldn't focus properly. She was aware that the magistrate was still talking but she couldn't really hear or understand the words.

The officer gripped her elbow and guided her gently but firmly back to her feet. This helped get focus back.

"So Miss Thompson," the woman continued, noting that Rosie was back with her, "as bail has not been apposed, you have 14 days from today's date to make a appointment at a punishment centre of your choice. The punishment is to be delivered within 56 days of today's date. That is 8 weeks.

"I'm aware that this is a lot to take in but I'm also aware you have a solicitor who will explain this to you and your friend will support you once you leave court. Once this sentence is carried out, that will be an end to the matter, other than for your driving licence which will be revoked effective from today for a period of 6 months.

"I would remind you that until you have been to the centre and have received your discharge certificate, you still remain on bail and subject to recall to prison should you fail to comply.

"Go with the officer and you will be released from custody".

Rosie barely acknowledged as she was gently guided out of the dock. Once the door was closed and they were stood back in the stairwell the officer stopped her. "I'll give you a minute to collect yourself. A lot just happened there. Sit down here," she said, as she helped Rosie sit in the floor of the stair landing.

Rosie's mind was beginning to unfog slightly. A caning on her belly in front of people. That was about as worse as it could have been. And something about her boobs.

She thought about the fact that Stacey was at the court room and was comforted by that but also embarrassed. She was looking forward to seeing her although was still conscious that she needed a shower and must look awful. She'd had almost no sleep and had been crying a lot. What would Stacey think??

A caning to her belly. She couldn't believe it. That punishment officer had got the nail right on the head. That's the part of her body that she hates the most and to have her punishment focussed there seemed to be an added bit of cruelty to Rosie.

It was a complex set of emotions swirling around in her head. She was pleased she wasn't going to prison and pleased she wouldn't be exposed in front of her students. She was terrified of being caned especially there!! And she was pleased that Stacey was there, but embarrassed because she'd seen her like this.

"Come on then. Let's get you out of here. Your stuff is downstairs," the officer said.

"Thank you," Rosie managed. She got to her feet again and followed the officer down the stairs. At the bottom though, they turned right not left which led back to the cells she had been waiting in. Walking down the stairs without being handcuffed was a fresh relief for Rosie, a reminder that the most simple of things had been robbed from her during her time in custody.

They entered a room with a few officers behind a large desk and wooden benches opposite. "Sit down there. It won't be long," the officer said to her. She turned to her colleagues behind the desk, "Rosie Thompson from Court 2."

The man behind the desk tapped on his computer, "Yep. We've got that through already" he replied to the officer and then to Rosie, "Your release order is here from upstairs, step up to the desk please."

The printer on the desk whirred and paper started spewing out. "Ok," said the officer as he sorted through the papers and began stapling different sets together. "So, we have your release order, a copy of instructions for you on what you need to do next to book your appointment, a copy of the corporal punishment warrant for your records, a copy of the sentencing report, and a leaflet about being made subject to corporal punishment."