Rules are Made to be Broken Ch. 07

Story Info
A dramatic accident leads to another chance meeting...
2.9k words
4.64
7.8k
9

Part 7 of the 29 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 08/31/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ElizaGrey
ElizaGrey
270 Followers

[A/N THANK YOU for all your feedback so far - I'm so pleased you're enjoying getting to know Jessica & Sam!

This chapter is a bit of a quickie, and I'm afraid there's no naked fun, but I hope you'll enjoy it all the same! Remember - if you're impatient for more sans-clothing action, you can head to my bio and track down the whole book in one hit ;)

Enjoy!

Eliza x ]

Chapter Seven...

This morning has passed me by in a total blur. I keep drifting in and out of daydreams involving picnic rugs and vanilla ice cream, and some much, much less wholesome activities.

Damnit Jessica, he's a client! No more, no less.

Well. Maybe a little bit more.

Apparently, we're friends now too? I wonder how long that will last after he's settled back into city life? Or maybe that's unfair? Maybe it was fate that threw us together and we are destined to forge some bizarrely founded friendship?

Oh, stop this nonsense, Jessica! I scold myself and turn my attention back to the same stack of books I've been trying to shelf since I got here.

I hear the bells of the door chime and turn to see a delivery man with a small cardboard box.

'Hello Miss, are you Amber Hardy?' Huh? I smile inwardly. Now he's given me an imaginary last name? And what happened to the over-the-top bouquets of flowers?

'Yes, that's me.' I smile, and scribble a brand-new fake signature on the delivery notes.

As he leaves, I sit down at the cash desk and clear some space in the clutter. On opening the box, I find a square package, beautifully wrapped in grey tissue paper with a small white envelope on top. I open it and the beautifully handwritten card reads:

Thank you for last night; it was exactly what I needed.

I hope this will be the only version you ever need when you're with me.

S x

Confused, I unwrap the tissue paper. Inside is a first edition copy of Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

'Holy Shit'. I whisper out loud. I'm completely taken aback. Of course, it must be worth a small fortune, but mostly I'm totally blown away by how thoughtful and meaningful the gift is. I'm fingering the delicate pages in awe and bemusement as the phone beside me rings.

'Anderson's Antique Books, how can I help you?' I answer on auto pilot.

'Hello Beautiful,' Sam's voice is like melted chocolate on the other end of the line.

'Sam!' I say a little too loudly, completely caught off guard

'Glad to hear you recognise my voice. Do you like your gift?' I can tell he's smiling at the other end.

'Like it? I adore it. But it's really too much. You didn't need to do that.'

'I wanted to do it.' He cuts me off.

'Well thank you, it's wonderful, it really is.'

'I'm glad you like it. I can't talk for long, unfortunately, I'm surrounded by people demanding my attention, but I wanted to make sure you'd received it okay.'

'I did. And again, thank you, it's an amazing gift.' I can hear impatient voices in the background so reluctantly I add 'I can hear you're in demand, so I'll let you go crack the whip.' I choose my words deliberately and I hear him stifle a laugh.

'I'll do just that, be good practice. Speak soon Beautiful.'

And he's gone. I close my eyes and picture him at the hub of his renovation project, barking orders and making demands; every inch the powerful dominant. My pussy tightens at the image. I shake myself out of my daydream, tuck Sam's gorgeous gift into my bag and try to concentrate on work.

* * * * *

Later that evening, I'm lounging on the sofa at home, contemplating phoning for Chinese takeout, but painfully aware of my brother's voice in my head, teasing me about never cooking for myself, when my phone rings. I see Ruby's name on the display and answer with a smile

'Hey you! What are you up to?'

'Amber! I n----- help!'

Shit. The line is dreadful, but I got the gist and I'm immediately on full alert.

'Rubes, calm down, you're breaking up, where are you?'

'Hospit --- come --- accident ----help!'

The reception is horrific, but I'm already on the move, slipping on trainers and grabbing my keys and bag as I reply

'Ruby, I can hardly hear you, but I'm on my way, okay?'

The line goes dead. I hit redial as I'm rushing out and locking the door but Ruby's phone goes straight to voicemail, making me swear as I race to the high street, hoping and praying for a conveniently timed taxi.

As I round the corner, I see a black cab dropping a couple off outside a wine bar, I shout to get his attention but he's driven off before I can get there. I swear again, scanning the street fruitlessly for other options.

'Amber!'

I turn when I hear my name and assume I must be seeing things, a few metres away, Sam Byron is getting out of a black Mercedes and striding towards me

'Amber, what's wrong, are you okay?' his hands are on my shoulders and his face is full of concern

'I need to go the hospital' I reply, trying to catch my breath, his eyes widen

'What's wrong, are you hurt?' his right hand goes to my face, sweeping my hair back, checking me over, I catch it in my own without thinking and ignore the rush that comes from his touch

'No, I'm fine, it's Ruby' he lets out a breath, and takes me by the hand,

'Get in the car, I'll take you.' I'm far too relieved to argue and gladly let him guide me in to the back seat.

As I fumble with my seatbelt, he tells Harvey where to go and sits back to look at me, taking my hand gently.

'It's okay, I've got you. Just breathe, okay?' his voice is so soothing 'What's happened to Ruby?'

I feel my chest tightening again and then his thumb, tracing soft but firm circles on my palm makes me breathe deeper,

'I don't know! She called, and the line was terrible, and she said something about an accident, the hospital -- her phone's gone dead, but she needs my help -- I', I don't realise I'm sobbing until I feel Sam lightly brush a tear off my cheek.

'Hey, it's okay, it'll be okay,' he soothes gently, pulling me in to him. I let my head fall onto his chest as he wraps his arms around me and I try to gather my thoughts.

Sudden panic hits me and I sit up, grabbing my bag, pulling things out as I root through frantically,

'Amber, what's wrong?' Sam asks beside me, his arm still around my shoulders

'It's an agency thing' I reply, distracted 'Fake ID' I add quietly, then 'It makes Ruby and I sisters, in case of emergency, in case y'know, they'll only speak to next of kin...' I trail off, glancing at him guiltily from the corner of my eye. He's unphased though,

'I see. Do you have what you need? I can get Harvey to take you home first if not?' he adds as I continue rummaging through my bag.

Oh, thank God, I breathe a sigh of relief as I find the small plastic wallet.

'No, it's fine. Thank you, got it.' I answer sheepishly. He pulls me closer again and kisses the top of my head, it's such an unexpected and tender gesture, it totally blind sides me.

'Good.' He breathes into my hair, 'We'll be there any minute, okay?' I nod against his chest and try to breathe deeply.

As Harvey pulls up outside the A&E entrance, he turns to Sam and says,

'There's no parking Sir, I'll drop you here and come back when you need me.' Sam nods his thanks as he gets out and rounds the car to open my door and help me out

'Sam, thank you, you really don't have to stay though' -- I start, but he cuts me off with just a look and I have no motivation to argue as he takes me by the hand and ushers me towards the sliding doors.

As we wait in a queue to speak to the receptionist on duty, I'm fidgeting with my "ID card" and tapping my foot nervously. Sam stills me with an arm around my shoulders and I lean in to him without thinking.

'May I?' he asks, gesturing to the plastic wallet I'm holding. I hand it over and watch as he flips it open briefly before handing it back to me.

The queue moves forward and I'm trying to figure out what to say when Sam beats me to it

'Hello, we're looking for Ruby Smith, we believe she was in an accident, this is her sister, Amber.' His voice is all business, but polite and calm, and coupled with a gracious smile. The receptionist returns it and replies

'Of course, let me just have a look' -- immediately she starts tapping at her keyboard and a moment later continues 'Yes, Miss Smith was admitted a few hours ago, she's fine, but still in recovery, if you'd like to take a seat in the waiting area, I'll have a doctor come and update you as soon as possible.'

I breathe a sigh of relief as Sam thanks her and takes me by the hand, walking me across to a row of plastic chairs.

As we sit, I find my voice,

'Do people always bend to your will so easily?' he eyes me with a slight smirk and I return it, adding, 'Thank you though, really. I hate these places, I'm so glad you're here.' His smirk becomes a warm smile and he squeezes my hand.

'That's what friends are for, right?' the word friend is overemphasised and his eyes twinkle deviantly as I'm trying to think of a clever reply...

'Excuse me, Miss Smith?' -- Sam sits back and directs me with his eyes to the doctor in front of us, 'Miss Smith?' he asks again. I catch up and reply,

'Yes, hi. Sorry, that's me. Is Ruby, is my sister, okay? Can I see her?' Sam's hand squeezes mine gently, urging me to calm down and I take a breath. The doctor smiles and replies,

'Your sister is fine, she was knocked over by a motorcycle courier, thankfully not at speed, and she got off quite lightly, considering. I can take you to see her now if you'd like?'

I let go of a breath I hadn't realised I was holding and stand quickly, still holding Sam's hand, I turn to smile at him and he's looking back at me with relief.

'Go and see Ruby,' he smiles -- 'I'll be here when you're done.'

* * * * *

'Only you could still look glam in a hospital issue nightie!' I say as I approach Ruby's bed. It's a little kind, she's paler than usual and makeup free, but she still looks better than most and does visibly brighten when she sees me.

'Well, y'know, it's a look!' she smiles as I hug her gently. 'Thank you so much for coming Amber -- I feel like an idiot for phoning, I mean I'm fine really, but they wouldn't let me go home on my own in case I've got a concussion.'

'Don't apologise stupid! Just make sure your phone's charged next time -- you sent me into a total panic when I couldn't call you back!'

'Sorry', she replies sheepishly 'I'll pay you back for whatever the taxi cost.' I look down at the jug of water by Ruby's bed to avoid eye contact. 'Amber?' her tone is questioning and a smile breaks free on my lips. 'If you didn't take a taxi, how did you get here so fast?'

'Um, Sam Byron may have driven me.' I admit quietly. Ruby's eyes go wide and she tries to sit up straighter, winces a little and thinks better of it,

'What?! Did he book you again? Jeez, he really has got it bad! Shit, did I interrupt?' I say nothing and she fills in her own blanks, 'No -- Your phone would have been on silent... Were you just hanging out at his hotel again?! Oh my god, did I cock block you? Oh, crap I'm so sorry. What the hell though? Details!!'

'Okay, breathe Ruby!' I whisper, trying to calm her down. 'No, it wasn't a booking, and NO, I wasn't hanging out at his hotel either. I was at home -- alone! I legged it up to the high street looking for a cab after your phone call sent me into a panic, and he just happened to be driving past. He insisted on bringing me here.' I shrug nonchalantly.

'And,' she prompts, knowing that I'm holding back. I huff at her, resigned and reply,

'And, he might still be waiting downstairs.'

'He stayed with you?!' she's screeching again and I resist the urge to smother her with a pillow.

'Yes, he stayed. But it's no big deal. I was a bit of a mess after YOU made me freak out, and he was just making sure I was okay. He was brilliant actually; I didn't even need to use the fake ID.'

'Impressive.' She replies. Yes, he is, I think to myself.

'Hang on, you told him about the fake ID?' she continues, panicked,

'Not exactly, he caught me rummaging in my bag looking for it -- I was in panic mode Rubes! And it's fine, he was totally unfazed. I mean he's a client, so not exactly in a position to judge, right?' She nods reluctantly, then looking just past me says

'Oh! Here comes my dreamy doctor! -- Hello Doctor Deacon', she practically purrs.

Sure enough, the same doctor who showed me up is now at the foot of her bed, scribbling on a clipboard.

'Hello Miss Smith -- and, Miss Smith', he adds awkwardly, in my direction, 'Your tests are all looking clear and now that you've got someone to escort you home, I'm happy to discharge you. Any questions?' he smiles,

'Will I need to come back for any further check-ups or-' Ruby trails off, pouting shamelessly,

'I shouldn't think so, no. Just stay off the twisted ankle for a day or two, take paracetamol if you need pain relief, otherwise, you've been very lucky Miss Smith.', he smiles back.

'Thank you, Doctor Deacon', I cut in before Ruby can request a quick sponge bath, 'I'll make sure she gets home in one piece.' And with a smile and a nod, he's on his way.

'Now who's cock blocking' Ruby grumbles petulantly. I roll my eyes at her

'Do you want my help getting out of here or not?'

'Yes please.' She concedes with a huff.

* * * * *

As I wheel Ruby back into the A&E waiting area, Sam's on his feet immediately, crossing to meet us.

'How's the patient?' he asks with a smile

'A complete drama queen with a twisted ankle' I reply, teasing her, 'Apparently the wheelchair is standard hospital practice, but I'm sure she's milking it!'

'Uh, I'm right here Amber!' she pouts, then 'Thank you, Mr Byron, for getting my oh so sympathetic friend here so quickly.'

'No problem at all, and it's Sam, please.' he replies, 'Shall we get you home?'

'Oh Sam, that's really not necessary, I'll call a cab', I cut in

'Amber, it's after 10 on a Saturday night, you'll be waiting for hours, Harvey will be here in five minutes.' He replies flatly, and I know he's right.

Walking out of Ruby's building after I've safely deposited her on her sofa with a large mug of tea and half a packet of biscuits, I cross to the Mercedes that's still waiting outside. Sam had offered to carry Ruby up to her flat on the third floor, but, much to her disapproval, I had pointed out there was a lift, and we'd be fine.

Sam's out before I get there and stands in front of me with his hands casually in his suit trouser pockets,

'All good?' he asks with a smile, and I nod.

'Thank you, again, really.' I reply with a smile. He waves a hand dismissively

'Happy to help, really. And to take you home too, if you're ready?' he cocks his head to one side.

'That's very kind, but I think I should probably stay with Ruby, just in case.' I answer. He nods,

'Of course. Well.' He fixes me in his gaze and I haven't the faintest idea what to say next. I've completely overdone the word thank you. Before I can overthink it, I close the small space between us and simply say

'Goodnight Mr Byron', planting a gentle kiss on his mouth.

In a flash, he pulls me to him and kisses me back, his hands firm on my waist. My head swims, but it's over much too soon as he corrects himself, pulling away and holding me at arm's length, breathing hard.

'Goodnight Amber. Go take care of your friend.' He smiles, and I return it, then head back inside before I change my mind and leave Ruby to fend for herself.